• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2008 MLB Thread

Started by msubulldogs21, March 09, 2008, 12:39:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizzo

Quote from: suspended on March 30, 2008, 06:08:39 pm
I'm lookin for the Braves to win the NL East. Yes i know that the Phillies and Mets are on the top two teams in that division in a lot of people's opinions, but i don't care. I'm a diehard Braves fan and I think they'll surprise everybody. Probably another late season meltdown by the Mets will happen again.
I'm going to say no way the Mets meltdown like they did last year. They'll have the best pitcher in baseball, and if Pedro can get 12-15 wins, they'll be money.

AB™

This is coming from a Braves fan.  While I like the Braves potential, on paper they don't really compare to the Mets, or even the Phillies.  Then again on paper the Mets and Phillies are probably the two best NL teams.  Games aren't played on paper, and I won't be surprised if the NL East is a three horse race for most of the year.  However, if the Mets have a pretty big lead in the division late in the season I don't see how they can have an epic meltdown like they did last season.  They didn't have a healthy Pedro much of last year, and now they have the best pitcher in baseball to boost.  Not too mention the best lineup, 1-8, in not only the NL but one of the best in the entire league. 

With all that said I am not giving up on the Braves and really hope they can find a way into the playoffs this year.

suspended

yeah hopefully Mike Hampton will make it back onto the field and be dependable like he was before his two year vacation

msubulldogs21

I've got the Braves winning the NL Wild Card. I think the Mets will be too good to overtake in the division, but the Phillies will be strong and in the hunt for a playoff spot as well. It will definitely be an exciting race in the NL East.

It's so nice to have baseball back again. I'm really looking forward to watching the game tonight.

AB™

Been a great sports day.  The Memphis/Texas game was anti-climatic.  But the Davidson/Kansas game was the best of the Elite 8 games.

Now I get to sit back and enjoy the Braves/Nats to start the season.  Glad this game is on ESPN tonight because I'm not going to have the pleasure of seeing basically ever Atlanta game now that they don't have their rights or whatever with TBS.

AB™

And Peter Gammons just gave the Braves the kiss of death.  He picked the Indians to beat the Braves in the World Series this year.

In all seriousness though.  Gammons is probably my favorite analyst on ESPN.  And IMO the most knowledgeable.  I just would like Atlanta to play the underdog role all season long.

Footballer

Wouldn't miss this. Time to start working on a new streak.

RGP

I was surprised to see a lot of analysts have picks the Braves to go far this year.

They've got an article on ESPN on how the Braves might win the World Series:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview08/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3320120

I'm a big Braves fan but I really don't see them going that far. I'd be happy with an NLCS appearance.

bulldogs1159

Well the president just got a loud rendition of Boo's when he threw out the first pitch in Washington.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: RGP on March 30, 2008, 06:59:30 pm
I was surprised to see a lot of analysts have picks the Braves to go far this year.

They've got an article on ESPN on how the Braves might win the World Series:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview08/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3320120

I'm a big Braves fan but I really don't see them going that far. I'd be happy with an NLCS appearance.

I couldn't believe it when I saw it. 

I'm going to start a Braves Season long thread for those interested.  I think we have at least 6 reg posters that are Braves fans.

Quite Frankly

We're here and I love it.  ESPN put the onus right on us with the pre-season favorite tag for the World Series so at least someone thinks we're good.

Smoltz on the DL to start.  Andruw gone.  Glavine Back.

Season opener on right now.

Go Braves.

AB™

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on March 30, 2008, 07:14:07 pm
Well the president just got a loud rendition of Boo's when he threw out the first pitch in Washington.

Yeah that kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  I am more of a Bush supporter than hater, but thought it was a pretty classless thing for the fans to do.  It's a baseball game, his last opening day as president, get over yourself and if you don't like him just shut up and at least not boo the man.

bulldogs1159

Glad Atlanta decided to wear good looking uniforms for the parks opening................... ::)

Quite Frankly

We don't try to impress with a lot of bling.

RGP

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on March 30, 2008, 07:26:39 pm
Glad Atlanta decided to wear good looking uniforms for the parks opening................... ::)
I think they look more like tee shirts than uniforms. I don't like them.

bulldogs1159

They look like softball uniforms.

Footballer

I'm a little upset we all didn't wear chains like Odalis Perez has on.

AB™

I wish we would have gone with the traditional gray uni's for opening day.  Save the alternate crap for the middle of the season sometime.  While I love the Braves' colors these jersies aren't my favorite.

RGP

I'm glad we don't have to worry about the for sure out in the line up this year and he left for the Dodgers.

He could barely hit .200 and was wanting over 20 million dollars from the Braves.

...Speaking of lots of money, I'm interested in seeing how long Hampton lasts this year and how he'll do. I place part of the blame for our last two seasons on him and his 13 million dollar paycheck while doing nothing.

Quite Frankly

Hampton or Glavine doing well will would be great.  Both simply too much to ask.

I'm going to miss 'Druw though.  But he wasn't worth the $$$ for sure.

AB™

Kotsay won't be a big dropoff defensively in CF.  That is staying quite a bit too.

Andruw's offensive numbers(mainly BA)have not been great the past several seasons.  I do miss him because he always one of my favorite Braves, but I don't feel we are losing as much as some people think with Jones being a Dodger now.

bulldogs1159

Did I just see a caveman in the background?

Footballer

My dad sat by Andruw on a plane out of Atlanta sometime in December or Januray. He said that Andruw said it tore him up to be leaving Atlanta.

I guess it didn't bother him too much, or he would've lowerd his price tag.

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Footballer on March 30, 2008, 07:40:34 pm
My dad sat by Andruw on a plane out of Atlanta sometime in December or Januray. He said that Andruw said it tore him up to be leaving Atlanta.

I guess it didn't bother him too much, or he would've lowerd his price tag.
He is making a living. Just because he didn't take a severe pay cat to stay in Atlanta does not mean he really was sad to leave.

msubulldogs21

Nick Johnson with an RBI double to give the Nationals an early 1-0 lead.

RGP

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on March 30, 2008, 07:39:38 pm
Did I just see a caveman in the background?
No, that's just Dmitri Young.

Quite Frankly

He did give the Braves a discount the last time around.  He could have made a lot more, but tool less.  But he's gone.  I have to say I don't have faith in Kotsay.

My #1 roster goal is to see Mark T signed long term.

Quite Frankly

crap 2-0 Wash.

Jeffrey's arm not sharp yet.

bulldogs1159

Kearns drives in another 2-0 Washington. Man they have some really good looking uniforms.

Quite Frankly

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Quite Frankly on March 30, 2008, 07:43:56 pm
He did give the Braves a discount the last time around.  He could have made a lot more, but tool less.  But he's gone.  I have to say I don't have faith in Kotsay.

My #1 roster goal is to see Mark T signed long term.
Kotsay is also a class A jerk. Saw it first hand when he was in Oakland and they played at St. Louis.

Footballer

If Teixera stays for the long haul, he and Chipper could develop into the best 3-4 in baseball.

RGP

Kotsay may also have some injury problems.

On another note, boy this is looking ugly. Their fielding is like a fourth grade squad right now.

msubulldogs21

Elijah Dukes AND Lastings Milledge? On the SAME team? In the SAME outfield? High comedy.

Wow. If that doesn't spell disaster I don't know what does.

Quite Frankly

Cox has handled lots of hotheads before (like Sheff) and I have faith he can keep Kotsay under wraps.

Crap McCann.  You don't have speed.

Quite Frankly

Very true.

O/U for their first incident is May 15th.

Coach Runyan

Quote from: Footballer on March 30, 2008, 07:46:08 pm
If Teixera stays for the long haul, he and Chipper could develop into the best 3-4 in baseball.

Manny and Papi disagree.

Maggs and Cabrera disagree.

D. Wright and Beltran disagree.

D. Lee and Aramis disagree.

Utley and Howard disagree.

I see your point, but these guys are all in the same league, if not better.

dc24

msubulldogs21

Are any of yall Braves fans not worried about the starting pitching? After Smoltz and Hudson it's really, really iffy. Better hope 1-2 stay healthy.

By the way, I don't think you have to worry that much about Kotsay getting in trouble. I wouldn't really consider him much of a hothead.

RGP

Quote from: Bill Bethea on March 30, 2008, 07:57:40 pm
I see your point, but these guys are all in the same league, if not better.
RGP and Quite Frankly disagree.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: Quite Frankly on March 30, 2008, 07:54:10 pmVery true.

O/U for their first incident is May 15th.

Taking the under.

Somebody get them a reality show. Fast. Must see TV.

Quite Frankly

As switch hitters, they present more problems.  Plus compared to some of those they also play the field.

But rest assured, no one is better than my Chipper.  :)

RGP

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on March 30, 2008, 07:58:55 pm
Are any of yall Braves fans not worried about the starting pitching? After Smoltz and Hudson it's really, really iffy. Better hope 1-2 stay healthy.
No, the one you have to worry about staying healthy is the 4 pitcher.

Tom Glavine was one of the top pitchers in the NL until his final three outings last year. The 5 pitcher was the centerpiece of the deal for Renteria and has a ton of potential.

Braves fans have had to deal with terrible starting pitching the last two years. This will be a completely different story.

Quite Frankly

Will it be;

a) fighting a teammate

b) fighting in a strip club

c) fighting an opposing player

d)  arrest of another nature

Quite Frankly

Another base running error.  Little rusty tonight.  Cox is hacked.

Footballer

Quote from: Quite Frankly on March 30, 2008, 08:02:01 pm
As switch hitters, they present more problems. 

Exactly. With the other pairs pitchers can pitch around one of the two to get a more favorbale match-up. You can't do that with Chipper and Teixera.

Footballer

Nice play by Escobar, showing off his range.

Quite Frankly

March 30, 2008, 08:14:41 pm #147 Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 08:45:10 pm by Quite Frankly
CHIPPER

1st HR of the year and in that park.

Awesome.  Man I love the Braves.

msubulldogs21

I'm going with:

e) jumping a teammate IN a strip club

Or we could be on the safe side and just go with all the above.

Quite Frankly

FTR, let it be noted that Larry 'Chipper' Jones has hit the years first HR in the States.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas