• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 3A State Championship(BOYS): Episcopal Collegiate vs. Charleston(VOTE)

Started by Brian G, March 11, 2014, 05:37:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins?

Episcopal Coll
67 (63.8%)
Charleston
38 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: March 14, 2014, 06:55:38 pm

Brian G

Brian G

Storey is the man for Charleston right now.

Charleston 15
EPS 15  buzzer beater 3

end of 1st

neds

15 up end of 1st
Andrew Smith (Charleston big picks up 3rd foul). Terrible decision by coach

WPWells

Brian G

Brian G

WPWells

Well considering I'm front row and was watching the clock and his release, yes I did

neds

Charleston on a run , up 28-20 w/3:36 to go in 2nd
Several players now with 3 fouls

WPWells

neds

Good ball game. Lots of guys in foul trouble, especially for ECS
Refs are tight, but consistent

WPWells

Cori Gooseberry has four for ECS and Kelvin Robinson has three. For Charleston, Andrew Smith has three

neds

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 15, 2014, 01:22:59 pm
Cori Gooseberry has four for ECS and Kelvin Robinson has three. For Charleston, Andrew Smith has three

I think other Gooseberry has three as well

UofA95

neds

WPWells

Matthew Ward's arm was ripped off on the final shot of the third

UofA95

45-43 ECS end of 3rd

Charlston

Story and Ward with 16
Smith with 4 fouls

ECS
Martin hasnt missed 6-6 for 17 points
Freeman 14
Foul trouble for the geese Cory with 4 justin with 3

Brian G

UofA95

UofA95

WPWells

That charge might have been the worst call I've ever seen but I knew the ref would call it because that's who he is

hornethigh-mhs

Brian G

Can Storey handle the load down the stretch now that he becomes the target of the EPC defense?

Brian G

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 15, 2014, 01:54:40 pm
That charge might have been the worst call I've ever seen but I knew the ref would call it because that's who he is
Of course it was.

DogsWin7

Text I received from some family at the game said close to the same thing.

Brian G

Of course they did.

Word is they ran an extra second off the clock too!

UofA95

Brian G

Would love to have a buzzer beater here.  Either way.

It's been a nice season for 3A and for their fans on this board.  A shot to win/lost would be better than a controversial ending.

AT

Quote from: B.G. on March 15, 2014, 02:02:18 pm

It's been a nice season for 3A and for their fans on this board.  A shot to win/lost would be better than a controversial ending.

I'm thinking Ty Storey throws a 92 footer football style, nothing but net. He immediately is asked to skip his senior year and join the Razorback football team.

UofA95

B.G im feeling the same shot as last years game! Controversy and a buzzer beater.

Brian G

UofA95

WPWells

Charleston missed too many free throws to win this game. That's for sure. I'm not at all saying the refs cost us the game like some people are trying to imply. I just wish that they had let the best players decide the game instead of fouling them out. At least not on that play

Brian G

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 15, 2014, 02:04:11 pm
Quote from: B.G. on March 15, 2014, 02:02:18 pm

I'm thinking Ty Storey throws a 92 footer football style, nothing but net. He immediately is asked to skip his senior year and join the Razorback football team.
He is supposed to be coming at the semester next year which would imply this is his last BB game.

JeanClaudeVanHam

Valley Springs Alum here, this game has been the worst refereed game I've gotten to watch in the State finals. I've been going to the finals game for six straight years. It's terrible for both sides, but there is no way in heck that Ward charged. Pathetic call. The bald, white ref from today should never be allowed to call another game in his life. He ruined the game.

UofA95

Brian G

I think I actually know what ref you are referring too. Does he do 7A west games?

Brian G

FF posters had this one and advance to 7-3 with four games remaining.

JeanClaudeVanHam

Quote from: B.G. on March 15, 2014, 02:09:37 pm
I think I actually know what ref you are referring too. Does he do 7A west games?

Not sure as I currently live in Central Arkansas. But he was awful. I can't think of another ref who has blown his whistle more in a single game. He sure loved to call blocks and charges and loved to call loose ball fouls. Non-existent loose ball fouls.

bootlegger

Friends at game thought it was a well refed game and in this case the better team won.

Brian G

Quote from: JeanClaudeVanHam on March 15, 2014, 02:13:48 pm
Quote from: B.G. on March 15, 2014, 02:09:37 pm

Not sure as I currently live in Central Arkansas. But he was awful. I can't think of another ref who has blown his whistle more in a single game. He sure loved to call blocks and charges and loved to call loose ball fouls. Non-existent loose ball fouls.
I know of one with a similar frame that calls everything.  Might as well send other two home.

ANNOUNCEMENT:  I appreciate CHS 12th Man's contributions to this board. He might not think I believe that so I'll put it here.

DogsWin7

That's Nice BG +1 to you both and I agree.  Thanks to you both.

WPWells

My thoughts on the game now that I've calmed down a little bit:

ECS and Charleston were the two best teams in the 3A this year. I think ECS was slightly better. If the two played 10 times I think ECS wins 6.

I think Charleston surprised some people. A bunch of people were saying the Tigers wouldn't be able to keep up with the Wildcats, but we not only kept up, we gave them all they wanted

Matthew Ward and Mahlon Martin are two incredible players

I wish the refs had been less involved in the game. They didn't decide the game, but I feel that championship games should be decided more by the players rather than the refs. I knew it was over when Matthew Ward fouled out. Not blaming the refs because there was no guarantee at all that we would've won, but we'll never know because he didn't get to play the last five minutes of the game

I think there's a correlation here, but these two played as hard as I've ever seen two teams play. My hat goes off to both of them. ECS is a worthy champion and Charleston has nothing to hang their heads about.

Finally, I'm still proud to be a Tiger

JeanClaudeVanHam

Quote from: bootlegger on March 15, 2014, 02:19:09 pm
Friends at game thought it was a well refed game and in this case the better team won.

It was poor as it comes. I think ECS would have ended up winning, but it's a shame the best players for both teams had to spend so much time on the bench throughout the game and the call against Ward was terrible. Charleston stood no chance after that. As a basketball fan I am just upset by it. The previous games have all been officiated well, 3A got a bad draw for refs.

All four calls against the CHS big guy were awful. The argument could be made that his first was a body foul, but I didn't see it.

The last two calls against Ward were bad. The charge being laughable.

Calls against the big men for ECS were weak. The gooseberry that started definitely fouled for his first. The others were called during rebounds. The bald, white ref loved calling a foul on every bump during rebounding opportunities. Let the kids play. He put every post player other than Storey in deep foul trouble.

I disagree completely with your friends, I'll stop posting about this now in order to avoid a big argument. I really just hate refs taking over games. Especially if it is the State finals.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas