• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charleston Vs. Mayflower

Started by jr17, March 09, 2014, 10:13:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jr17

Probably going to be the best game in the tournament to this point. Heard Charleston was big, but do they have a 3A-5 type player. (Freeman, Robinson, Perry, or the other ECS guard I forget his name)? Haven't heard of many players other than storey.

neds

They are good , but everyone left is. Charleston has several weapons, but this match up will be interesting to watch. They won't put the guard pressure on Mayflower that ECS has in their victories which I think will leave Charleston exposed for Mayflower to score. The problem for Mayflower will be stopping Charleston. They have a sz advantage that may be the difference in the game.
If I call for an upset then it looks like I am pulling against Charelston and I am not. I am pulling for the 3A 5 as it is our conf. I will say its 3 pts or less , pick em.

WPWells

Matthew Ward. You'll know the name after this game

ECS09#10

Quote from: jr17 on March 09, 2014, 10:13:29 pm
Probably going to be the best game in the tournament to this point. Heard Charleston was big, but do they have a 3A-5 type player. (Freeman, Robinson, Perry, or the other ECS guard I forget his name)? Haven't heard of many players other than storey.
Martin

Hogwild#9

Should be a competitive game. Chuck town will win by 5-8 points.

centralarfan

Mahlon Martin is the guard you couldn't recall his name. He is a fundamentally sound, knock down shooter, and high IQ junior. The only flaw ECS has is depth in my opinion watching them play LR teams to the wire. I have watched a few of Charleston players play summer ball the past few summers. Matthew Ward  is a good player. I would assume that he is the leader of CHS. He is an average ball handler at best.  He is a solid scorer. However, he has always had a problem with turnovers. The post Andrew Smith is a finesse center. He tends to float away from the paint. He likes to shoot jumpers more than get physical. As long as I have known him, he is prone to foul trouble. I doubt he will be able to keep up with the tempo of the game. Storey has always been a workhorse and enforcer. I really like Newhart. He is probably the most athletic I have seen out of the bunch. I have not seen all of the squad. If by chance, ECS and Charleston do meet up. I think the factor will be Freeman. If freeman is hot, they will roll. The times I have seen him play, he has an awful shot selection.

Radiotalker

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 09, 2014, 10:24:59 pm

Is he the player not from there but living with a family in Charleston?

Radiotalker

on the serious side....a championship caliber team gets knocked out in quarterfinal round.

centralarfan

March 10, 2014, 07:35:54 am #8 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:37:32 am by centralarfan
No. The kid who is not from Charleston is Andrew Smith (The 6'6 kid). He is from Alma.

chuckBB

March 10, 2014, 08:12:58 am #9 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:15:16 am by chuckBB
Quote from: centralarfan on March 10, 2014, 12:00:21 am
Mahlon Martin is the guard you couldn't recall his name. He is a fundamentally sound, knock down shooter, and high IQ junior. The only flaw ECS has is depth in my opinion watching them play LR teams to the wire. I have watched a few of Charleston players play summer ball the past few summers. Matthew Ward  is a good player. I would assume that he is the leader of CHS. He is an average ball handler at best.  He is a solid scorer. However, he has always had a problem with turnovers. The post Andrew Smith is a finesse center. He tends to float away from the paint. He likes to shoot jumpers more than get physical. As long as I have known him, he is prone to foul trouble. I doubt he will be able to keep up with the tempo of the game. Storey has always been a workhorse and enforcer. I really like Newhart. He is probably the most athletic I have seen out of the bunch. I have not seen all of the squad. If by chance, ECS and Charleston do meet up. I think the factor will be Freeman. If freeman is hot, they will roll. The times I have seen him play, he has an awful shot selection.

Centralargan,

I want you to post again after tonight's game with a full analysis.

BananaHands501

Is there a way we can watch this game online?

DogsWin7

Quote from: Radiotalker on March 10, 2014, 07:21:33 am

Is he the player not from there but living with a family in Charleston?

Matthew Ward is from Charleston.   Comes from a very good family.

Great hard nosed ballplayer.

WildcatGrandpa13

I am going to go with Mayflower on the upset. I heard a kid from VS dropped 42 on Charleston...is that correct? If so I think Perry will tee of on Charleston. Should be a good matchup though. Definitely won't be a blowout on either side

WPWells

Tennison had the game of his life against Charleston. He hit some insane, unguardable shots

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 10, 2014, 10:15:51 am
Tennison had the game of his life against Charleston. He hit some insane, unguardable shots
I don't deny that. Dropping 42 in a high school game is almost unheard of...but if there was someone that was going to do it again it would be J.P. Perry. That kid is just a pure scorer. If Charleston leaves the paint vulnerable, it won't end well for them.

cdelaney

Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on March 10, 2014, 10:19:19 am
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 10, 2014, 10:15:51 am
I don't deny that. Dropping 42 in a high school game is almost unheard of...but if there was someone that was going to do it again it would be J.P. Perry. That kid is just a pure scorer. If Charleston leaves the paint vulnerable, it won't end well for them.
[/quote
All I have to go on is last yrs Chuck vs this yrs Mayflower. If this Chuck team is as good as last yrs, they will find a way to win 

Hogwild#9

Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on March 10, 2014, 10:09:57 am
I am going to go with Mayflower on the upset. I heard a kid from VS dropped 42 on Charleston...is that correct? If so I think Perry will tee of on Charleston. Should be a good matchup though. Definitely won't be a blowout on either side
I do not think Perry has the ability to drop 42. Mayflower will need a evenly distributed team effort to win this one.

BananaHands501

The ability? He dropped 36 on ECS. If he shoots okay from outside then for sure he can drop 40 +.

Hogwild#9

Quote from: BananaHands501 on March 10, 2014, 11:17:55 am
The ability? He dropped 36 on ECS. If he shoots okay from outside then for sure he can drop 40 +.
Let me clear it up. He can drop 40 but he will be the only one on the team to shoot. His shooting percentage is not high. Like I said before he's a much better ball handler and passer

Eagle20

I agree.  Freeman can help you beat anybody if he is on but he can shoot them out of it also.  I think he shoots better with somebody in his face.  I would give him the three until he show that he will hit it consistently today. Sometimes, he canbe the best friend of your defense.  If 2 of the 3 guards are on, lookout though.  It is not even close.

Pit Bull

DogsWin7

Not happening.  Charleston wins

Paperman

Have not seen the Tigers play, but they should benefit greatly from having the home court advantage. I think Charleston will be tough to beat on their home floor. Mayflower is very good, they are quite a bit better than the 2013 version of their squad. They have some size and are athletic as well. Should be a great game.

cdelaney

Home court advantage has to help, even if there is no help from refs. As I said before, I have not seen Charleston this year, but most of their main players are back from their very good team last year, plus they have Storey inside who I have heard is a solid rebounder, defender, and scores a few points. (WPS, don't get hurt!) I have seen Mayflower in their 4 games vs ECS, and parts of other games in district and regionals. They are quite good, have 3 talented scorers, and their role players have improved as the season progressed. But I can't help but think that if Charleston is as good, or better, this year as they were last year, they will find a way to win this game.

Pit Bull

Good to have faith in your team but Mayflower will take this game and move on into the Semis...

ZoneBuster

Someone will have to post Perry point total updates now haha

Hogwild#9

Quote from: ZoneBuster on March 10, 2014, 12:52:09 pm
Yes sir hah

WildcatGrandpa13

March 10, 2014, 01:22:12 pm #27 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:44:55 pm by WildcatGrandpa13
I have a feeling that will be very high

sillyrabbit

Is Perry the lefty whose shot looks broke? Jw

neds

No , he is the left hander that shoots real well

sillyrabbit

It does go in, but the sideways rotation on his jumper bothers me. Lol

BananaHands501

Agreed Silly. He is not the best jump shooter but when he gets in the paint he is virtually unstoppable. 

sillyrabbit

Exactly, adjust a few mechanical bugs to his shot and he would become something very special. Not only does he have the strength and athleticism to get to the rim but he has the knack to draw contact and get to the line. Should be an interesting matchup tonight.

jr17

March 10, 2014, 07:42:20 pm #33 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:51:24 pm by jr17
If Duncan and Long (mayflowers other two top scorers) can get in on the action with Perry. They win by 3. Going to be the best game in 3A to this point in my eyes

Hogwild#9

Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on March 10, 2014, 01:22:12 pm
Well, how many points did Perry drop??

chucktownboys

Which player was he? Tigers handled everyone Mayflower had, iso plays don't work in big games and just bullying your way to the basket won't get it done against quality teams

Hogwild#9

Quote from: chucktownboys on March 10, 2014, 11:52:00 pm
Which player was he? Tigers handled everyone Mayflower had, iso plays don't work in big games and just bullying your way to the basket won't get it done against quality teams
He is number 1, the point guard

chuckBB

Quote from: Hogwild#9 on March 10, 2014, 10:57:18 pm
Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on March 10, 2014, 01:22:12 pm
Well, how many points did Perry drop??

He scored 23points and Matthew ward scored 43.

chuckBB

March 11, 2014, 12:23:00 am #38 Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:07:51 am by chuckBB
Quote from: Hogwild#9 on March 09, 2014, 11:01:37 pm
Well done.

Hogwild#9

March 11, 2014, 12:44:47 am #39 Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:34:43 am by Hogwild#9
Quote from: chuckBB on March 11, 2014, 12:23:00 am
We'll done.
Thanks chuckbb! Also Wildcat Grandpa, Perry had a great night but only scored about half of the 40 you figured he would drop

chuckBB

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 10, 2014, 12:16:15 pm
You were absolutely right. Thank you for your faith in our boys.

chuckBB

Quote from: Hogwild#9 on March 11, 2014, 12:44:47 am
Well done.
Thanks chuckbb! Also Wildcat Grandpa, Perry had a great night but only scored about of the 40 you figured he would drop

chuckBB

Quote from: chuckBB on March 11, 2014, 01:08:13 am
Well done.
Thanks chuckbb! Also Wildcat Grandpa, Perry had a great night but only scored about of the 40 you figured he would drop
Perry scored 23 and Matthew Ward scored 43.

chuckBB

Quote from: chuckBB on March 10, 2014, 08:12:58 am

Centralargan,

I want you to post again after tonight's game with a full analysis.
I am waiting for your comment about the game last night.

WildcatGrandpa13

We'll done.
Thanks chuckbb! Also Wildcat Grandpa, Perry had a great night but only scored about half of the 40 you figured he would drop
I never said he would drop 40, I said he was capable. 23 isn't a bad night though. Congrats Charleston

DogsWin7

Quote from: chuckBB on March 11, 2014, 01:06:49 am
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 10, 2014, 12:16:15 pm
You were absolutely right. Thank you for your faith in our boys.

Your welcome.  I seen ya'll play a few times this year as well as last.   Well coached team.   I know a few people in Charleston.  ;)   The best of luck!  :)

AnotherTurfMonkey

I made my way to Charleston last night and say them play for the first time.

You hit this one right on the nose my friend.

This kid went off in the 2nd half!

jr17

Great game Charleston. Some of the best
basketball I've seen all year. And yes he had 23, but sat about half of the first half due to foul trouble. Who knows, maybe if he didn't have 3 in the first quarter it would have been closer to 30.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas