• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Week 1: Junction City v. Smackover

Started by DragonBorn, June 24, 2014, 03:40:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Quote from: amehr36 on July 22, 2014, 08:08:56 pm
I like the cycle of FF.  Random team talks about being good enough to beat JC.  Then after JC thrashes them, the posters either disappear or make excuses.  3 in a row starts with shutting Smackover up.

I don't think the Smackover folks are going to disappear...they took a shellacking at GLen Rose last season and are still here...

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: amehr36 on July 22, 2014, 08:08:56 pm
I like the cycle of FF.  Random team talks about being good enough to beat JC.  Then after JC thrashes them, the posters either disappear or make excuses.  3 in a row starts with shutting Smackover up.

Mmm. Smackover is no random team, buddy. By the way. When Smackover doesn't get "thrashed" by JC. What are your comments gonna be? You going to "disappear."

amehr36

To us you are just another random team that will ultimately get beat down.  Even though Smack wont be the team tp do it, I won't disappear when JC finally loses in the next few years.

THA TRUTH

Quote from: BUCK FEVER on July 21, 2014, 09:37:03 pm
Smackover dominated todays full pad 11 on 11 jambaree at Camden harmony grove.....played several rounds with GROVE, laf county, Hampton, parkers chapel.....smackovers starting offense scored 9 touchdowns and starting def gave up 1 touchdown, the new O line was awesome, , hands down Smack was in a class by themselves..........Smackover will give junction all they want and then some.

Oh geez such power houses u played there

bleudog

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 22, 2014, 10:41:20 pm
A full 15 rounds with the baby dragons will be no issue for Smackover.

PB, you need to change your password.  Looks like Bucky might have hacked your FF account. ;D

Proud Buckaroo

Nah, man. Just getting sick and tired of people underestimating Smackover..

DragonBorn

I don't think anyone is underestimating them?

Proud Buckaroo

July 23, 2014, 12:07:28 pm #207 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:09:03 pm by Proud Buckaroo
Eh. Some people are. He's saying the dragons are going to trash Smackover. Someone else said that JC would win by three or more touchdowns.

Yes. Junction city is talented. Your winning streak comes from a very lack luster 2A district. As I said before. The 2A talent has really fallen off over the years that I've been out of school. 3A is a different ordeal. Smackover had to fight for their 12-2 record last year. While Junction breezed to the championship. Smackover is very talented. Perhaps, loaded with talent. We do have the talent and very well CAN come out with this win. I just want to know out of all the posters are going to actually congratulate Smackover for doing such. If they do. If they don't. I know the better team won. I'm not going to disappear either over a non-conference loss. Even though we lose; IF we do, 99.4% chance it's not the players on our team that caused the loss....

DragonBorn

That's a nice underhanded complement there. I hope your not implying that JC tore through 2a because every other team was a push over? They won last year as they have every year, with superior strength and speed. It's going to be interesting to see if smackover can match their speed and strength

Proud Buckaroo

That's what I'm saying. Junction city is top notch rated over all 2A teams. I'm saying that junction city is a higher caliber than majority of all 2A schools. When I was in high school. The dominate 2A teams are now on 3A.

bleudog

July 23, 2014, 01:24:24 pm #210 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:48:58 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 23, 2014, 12:07:28 pm
Eh. Some people are. He's saying the dragons are going to trash Smackover. Someone else said that JC would win by three or more touchdowns.

Yes. Junction city is talented. Your winning streak comes from a very lack luster 2A district. As I said before. The 2A talent has really fallen off over the years that I've been out of school. 3A is a different ordeal. Smackover had to fight for their 12-2 record last year. While Junction breezed to the championship. Smackover is very talented. Perhaps, loaded with talent. We do have the talent and very well CAN come out with this win. I just want to know out of all the posters are going to actually congratulate Smackover for doing such. If they do. If they don't. I know the better team won. I'm not going to disappear either over a non-conference loss. Even though we lose; IF we do, 99.4% chance it's not the players on our team that caused the loss....

According to our LaLaLand friends with the objective computer, JC had a tougher overall strength of schedule than Smackover.  (-2.20 to -7.00)

Here's each team in 2A and 3A that ended 2013 with a non-negative power rating.  The list is sorted by power rating.  Here're what the columns represent.

Combo Rank   
Class Rank   
School   
Division   
Rating    
Schedule Strength    
Opponents' W-L

1     1   Charleston   3A    34.90     3.60    92-77-1
  2     1   Junction City   2A    28.60     (2.20)   90-61
  3     2   Glen Rose   3A    23.50     (0.50)   88-72-1
  4     3   Harding Academy   3A    18.20     0.80    76-62
  5     4   Smackover   3A    13.10     (7.00)   82-76-1
  6     5   Hoxie   3A    11.40     (11.40)   57-87-1
  7     6   Barton   3A    11.30     (1.80)   78-57
  8     2   Des Arc   2A    11.10     (5.60)   93-70
  9     3   Bearden   2A    9.90     (7.30)   86-59
10     7   Lamar   3A    9.80     (3.10)   61-61-1
11     4   Carlisle   2A    9.20     (12.30)   78-81
12     8   Earle   3A    9.00     0.10    95-66-1
13     5   Gurdon   2A    7.20     (9.80)   72-61
14     6   East Poinsett County   2A    6.70     (14.40)   69-73
15     9   Episcopal   3A    5.20     (4.90)   82-67
16   10   Fordyce   3A    4.80     (5.30)   65-71
17   11   McGehee   3A    3.50     (3.40)   74-64
18   12   Green Forest    3A    2.00     (10.80)   67-75-1
19   13   Lavaca   3A    1.40     1.90    85-53-1
20     7   Rison   2A    1.00     (9.90)   74-49-1
21     8   Dierks   2A    -       (18.20)   55-72-1

Not too shabby that 8 of the top 21 spots of a combined 2A and 3A would be 2A teams.

Here's the SOS sort of those 21:

1   Charleston   3A    3.60
  2   Lavaca   3A    1.90
  3   Harding Academy   3A    0.80
  4   Earle   3A    0.10
  5   Glen Rose   3A    (0.50)
  6   Barton   3A    (1.80)
  7   Junction City   2A    (2.20)
  8   Lamar   3A    (3.10)
  9   McGehee   3A    (3.40)
10   Episcopal   3A    (4.90)
11   Fordyce   3A    (5.30)
12   Des Arc   2A    (5.60)
13   Smackover   3A    (7.00)
14   Bearden   2A    (7.30)
15   Gurdon   2A    (9.80)
16   Rison   2A    (9.90)
17   Green Forest    3A    (10.80)
18   Hoxie   3A    (11.40)
19   Carlisle   2A    (12.30)
20   East Poinsett County   2A    (14.40)
21   Dierks   2A    (18.20)

http://calpreps.com/2013/ratings/Arkansas_division.htm

Dragon I

bleudog

amehr36

Im calling it... 35-12 JC.  Idiots will be idiots, fellas. By now we all know its gonna happen every year.

Proud Buckaroo

Proud Buckaroo

For real, dog. You got to be smoking that pipe pretty hard.

DragonBorn

bleudog

July 23, 2014, 02:22:27 pm #217 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:28:19 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 23, 2014, 01:09:23 pm
That's what I'm saying. Junction city is top notch rated over all 2A teams. I'm saying that junction city is a higher caliber than majority of all 2A schools. When I was in high school. The dominate 2A teams are now on 3A.

Not sure when you were in school, but here were the top ten 3A teams per Calpreps at the end of 2005:

Nashville
CAC
Ashdown
PA
Warren
Osceola
Booneville
U$C
Dollarway
Highland

Only Osceola and Booneville have not move up to the 4A (or 5A in PA's case).

Point being is, the 3A isn't what it used to be either.

There is not a lot of difference between good 2A and good 3A teams and there are some horrible football teams in both classifications.

Proud Buckaroo

Proud Buckaroo

When I refer to dominate teams. I mean like Harding, charleston, Glen rose. Those were all in 2A when I was in middle school.

HorseFeathers

um glen rose is a horrible example of a good 2a team back then. . . . . They were horrible before 2006ish. . . .they were the homecoming type of opponent. . .   blue how does cal prep figure strength of schedule?  I know the simplest way takes into account opponents record and opponents of opponents records. .

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 23, 2014, 02:04:18 pm
For real, dog. You got to be smoking that pipe pretty hard.

PB...... Don'T sweat these arrogant clowns, they can"t help themselves...........most of these guys are not old enough to remember what JC football was b-4 Carpenter came along , his seasons are getting extremely short,......the pressures of having to win every year is starting to get the best of him, he has a season or 2 left and he is done, JC will fall apart just like BARTON did when coach Charlie quit, let them have there fun ....there days are numbered....When Carp came along JC was barley plucking along while Smackover was playing deep in the playoffs  JC was only dreaming of making a playoff game before Carpenter.....My son played on the Buckaroo 96-97-98 teams that beat JC in 96 and 97 before losing a 1 pointer in 98 in the final minute of that game.........That year started a long run for the dragons and carpenter, Carp is a great coach but I will always believe he is also a great recuiter and yes there has been many LA kids brought into that district to keep that football team at a high level, The next coach comes along in another season or 2 and JC football will crash and burn...........MARK MY WORDS........NO TOWN IN THE USA WITH THE POPULATION OF JC  (400)PRODUCES THAT MUCH HOMEGROWN TALENT YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR..........when the reciuting stops with the next coach JC will be another average 2-a program.

dragon79

I remember before Carpenter. Was graduated long before that and yes JC was not very good. What u don't understand is back then all Union parish and Claiborne parish kids went to school there. No recruiting simple fact. My senior year we weren't very good but we had almost 60 kids on the team. If JC still had all the Louisiana kids they would be a 3a school and be winning championships in 3a! The Louisiana kids are t wat makes JC good it's the coach and program he implemented and developed.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: dragon79 on July 23, 2014, 02:56:26 pm
I remember before Carpenter. Was graduated long before that and yes JC was not very good. What u don't understand is back then all Union parish and Claiborne parish kids went to school there. No recruiting simple fact. My senior year we weren't very good but we had almost 60 kids on the team. If JC still had all the Louisiana kids they would be a 3a school and be winning championships in 3a! The Louisiana kids are t wat makes JC good it's the coach and program he implemented and developed.

It is not the number of the kids..........it"s the hand selecting the kids you want ................the La thing is a easy CAMO for recuits...........no one questions it.

PROVE??? nope, just my opinion and I"m ENTITLED TO ONE.

dragon79

Well that can go both ways. I am sure with the school of choice thing Smackover does plenty of recruiting also.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: dragon79 on July 23, 2014, 03:05:33 pm
Well that can go both ways. I am sure with the school of choice thing Smackover does plenty of recruiting also.

School of choice my butttt, try pulling that garbage on Eldorado, there is no school of choice, just a myth, but if it were then it would be legal, not illegal.

dragon79

All I know is Smackover advertises it real hard every year before school starts. If u recruit the kids for ur football team it is illegal anyway. So u r no different than anyone else. Apparently just not very good at it!

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: dragon79 on July 23, 2014, 03:17:13 pm
All I know is Smackover advertises it real hard every year before school starts. If u recruit the kids for ur football team it is illegal anyway. So u r no different than anyone else. Apparently just not very good at it!

Could you link me to one of those ads please ?

here is your school of choice,
http://thenewrural.org/arkansas-school-choice-law-struck-down-by-federal-judge

DragonBorn

9-12 grade we had one transfer student try to play football. One. After a week of puking his guts up in offseason drills and workouts he quit. The point is every kid you see on the roster is from JC. No recruitment. The guys I played with were the same ones I played peewee ball with. It is all homegrown talent

amehr36

Key difference between the two schools.  Junction worries about winning championships.  Smack worries about beating JC. I know the JC boys will be ready for the game but i guarantee you they aren't viewing this like the super bowl as you folks are.  You aren't in that league yet.

THA TRUTH

All the key players have grown up in jc and it has been that way for a long time

dragon79

BF the ads were radio and Smackover has run them the past several years. My point is JC doesn't do anymore recruiting than any other school. It's just haters looking for excuses for when they lose to JC.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: THA TRUTH on July 23, 2014, 03:52:57 pm
All the key players have grown up in jc and it has been that way for a long time

OH, WELL OK THEN..that clears it up, my mistake. thank you very much. :o

Dragon I

Not stirring the pot here PB, just having a legit conversation.  In a position by position break down, and all of the intangibles.  I believe JC is probably 3 scores better.

QB: Even. Clark is good, Randall has almost every JC record and is better at running.  With Clark going both ways and being relied on to pay big minutes on D, this will start to swing JC's way.  Clark will be hit early and often.

RB: JC. Dancy would put JC ahead by himself.  What makes them even better is what's behind him.  When the two guys that relieve him are two of the fastest guys in the state, that's just unfair.

TE:  JC.  Bell is a top 250 player by almost every recruiting site.  I'll trust coaches that are paid millions over anyone on here.

WR:  Smackover.  Jones is special, that's why he'll be in the SEC. 

OL: JC. Returns all the starters but one, win in the strength department, and have a D-1 guard in Mason that is one of the strongest kids in the state regardless of Class.

DL:  JC.  A future SEC player at one end and Mason in the middle is better than anything Smackover has.  Not being sarcastic, just facts. 

LB:  JC.  This one is close.  Both teams return most everyone, but Armstrong playing almost exclusively on D puts JC over the top.  Having someone that fast and that strong in the middle will make teams one dimensional.

Secondary:  Even.  JC lost a starter at S early last year.  It hurt, but will pay dividends this year, as the young man that filled in had an excellent season and is a year older and stronger.  Jarkell will be replaced by a taller more physical corner.  If Jones is going both ways full time, there is no way he can take the physical play of JC and be as good in the fourth on both sides as he was in the first.

Strength:  JC.  State Powerlifting Champs......again......enough said

Speed:  JC.  State Track Champs........again........enough said.

Coaching: JC.  Even the Smackover fans say Strickland is in over his head.  Carpenters teams have won 5 State Titles and only lost 8 conference games in 16 seasons.  The man knows how to win.

Intangibles:  JC:  All these kids do is win.  It's more they just don't know how to lose.  The stage is never too big.  They have a 27 game winning streak going that won't stop here.

Proud Buckaroo

Adding the 14 Norphlet players. Logan will not have to play both sides as often.

Jaysea

Just wanted to point out for buck fever that all 22 "recruits" that started on offense and defense in the championship game also played their 7th grade football at Junction City. Surely you wouldn't suggest JC is out recruiting the elementary schools. What most people don't understand is that there are kids that live less than 5 miles from the school in Union Parish that won a state championship for Union Parish High School. In a way, the town of Junction City really won 2 football state championships last year.

Proud Buckaroo

Also. Randall has records because junction city has never really been a passing team. Always been smash mouth. Up the middle.

Proud Buckaroo

And that Jordan jones kid. He has a cousin. In which runs a 4.4. Which is what Dancy runs. Also. All the passing that Randall is gonna be doing. Better not be towards Elmo. He had 11 interceptions last season.

Proud Buckaroo

Hey, amehr. Just seen an accident at Walmart in el dorado. A guy ran smack into the side of the building. Just checking to make sure it wasn't you....

DragonBorn

Well Holyfield did break the records of his predecessor who was the 2a offensive player of the year

Dragon I

Put up better numbers than Clark in a run first offense. 

For the record, amher doesn't live in El Dorado. 

Proud Buckaroo

Oh, I know. I was just making a joke.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Dragon I on July 23, 2014, 05:56:43 pm

Clark doesn't have to do any kind of running with the recievers we have.

THA TRUTH

Nice break down dragon I I'm waiting on buck  to try and make up so malarkey to make ur true statements false

THA TRUTH

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 23, 2014, 06:00:20 pm

He will when he plays jc he won't be able to just sit in the pocket and hope and pray that jones will bail him out

Dragon I

Logan is good, and if he can take the beating that AK from Gurdon took and still throw the ball, it will be one heck of a game.  I just have serious doubts that he can.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: THA TRUTH on July 23, 2014, 06:04:20 pm
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 23, 2014, 06:00:20 pm

He will when he plays jc he won't be able to just sit in the pocket and hope and pray that jones will bail him out

Jones is not the only good receiver we have!

DragonBorn

He's the only one to escape mediocrity

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: Dragon I on July 23, 2014, 04:50:37 pm
Not stirring the pot here PB, just having a legit conversation.  In a position by position break down, and all of the intangibles.  I believe JC is probably 3 scores better.

QB: Even. Clark is good, Randall has almost every JC record and is better at running.  With Clark going both ways and being relied on to pay big minutes on D, this will start to swing JC's way.  Clark will be hit early and often.

RB: JC. Dancy would put JC ahead by himself.  What makes them even better is what's behind him.  When the two guys that relieve him are two of the fastest guys in the state, that's just unfair.

TE:  JC.  Bell is a top 250 player by almost every recruiting site.  I'll trust coaches that are paid millions over anyone on here.

WR:  Smackover.  Jones is special, that's why he'll be in the SEC. 

OL: JC. Returns all the starters but one, win in the strength department, and have a D-1 guard in Mason that is one of the strongest kids in the state regardless of Class.

DL:  JC.  A future SEC player at one end and Mason in the middle is better than anything Smackover has.  Not being sarcastic, just facts. 

LB:  JC.  This one is close.  Both teams return most everyone, but Armstrong playing almost exclusively on D puts JC over the top.  Having someone that fast and that strong in the middle will make teams one dimensional.

Secondary:  Even.  JC lost a starter at S early last year.  It hurt, but will pay dividends this year, as the young man that filled in had an excellent season and is a year older and stronger.  Jarkell will be replaced by a taller more physical corner.  If Jones is going both ways full time, there is no way he can take the physical play of JC and be as good in the fourth on both sides as he was in the first.

Strength:  JC.  State Powerlifting Champs......again......enough said

Speed:  JC.  State Track Champs........again........enough said.

Coaching: JC.  Even the Smackover fans say Strickland is in over his head.  Carpenters teams have won 5 State Titles and only lost 8 conference games in 16 seasons.  The man knows how to win.

Intangibles:  JC:  All these kids do is win.  It's more they just don't know how to lose.  The stage is never too big.  They have a 27 game winning streak going that won't stop here.

an opinion piece..........not federal law....................I think we will still show up and make you earn it on the field instead of the keyboard.

amehr36

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 23, 2014, 05:37:33 pm
Hey, amehr. Just seen an accident at Walmart in el dorado. A guy ran smack into the side of the building. Just checking to make sure it wasn't you....

I just "seen" some of that Smackover grammar. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas