• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Riverview Boys and Girls jobs are open

Started by big_ups, April 02, 2010, 09:09:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

big_ups

Don't know what is going on there, but both jobs are on their school website.

mustang12

Didn't the boys just go to the final four in state? And the coach is gone?

big_ups

They did and he is, apparently.  Not sure what is going on, but maybe someone can shed some light.

Sportsnutt

Quote from: mustang12 on April 02, 2010, 10:09:46 pm
Didn't the boys just go to the final four in state? And the coach is gone?

and they return a lot of starters and their junior high was good last year.  This could be a gold mine for the new coach.

big_ups

All those talentd kids back, really good jr. high, could definately look like a gold mine.
Question, why does a state champion coach leave with all that coming back and coming up?  Why does he go to a nearby school who is not very good?
Question, why does the school hire someone not certified and then have to pile all the coaching on the one guy they had?  Why does that guy decide to get out of coaching all together (allegedly) with that talent coming back and all that talent coming up?
Hmmmmm..........What seems to be the issue?  Is it the parents, the kids, or the Admin?  Everywhere has its problems, but this seems to be a serious amount of turnover in a business that is based on winning where that team is winning and has been winning.  I am very interested to hear ol' Fred on this one or Top Cardinal weigh-in as they seem to be in the know for this area.

Sourmilkstain

Well, basically the AD doesn't have a say because the Supr is a control freak.  He was a terrible coach himself back in the day, and now wants his hand in every little thing.  He is the one who hired someone that wasn't certified who is still there as an Aid.  Then in turn to cover his tracks he says that he didn't know the man wasn't certified and moved the head girls coach to be head of both boys and girls.  He had more talent on that team than you could imagine, and should have walked away w/a state championship in boys, but he choked.  After the season the Supr called him in and asked which team he wanted to stay with and he said boys.  The Supr told him it was girls or nothing and he said I'll take nothing.
Now...they are just looking for a Head Girls because they hired Star City coach Jon Laffoon as Boys coach.

He will be walking into a gold mine!  3 yrs removed from a State Title, 4 starters returning which posted 78% of the scoring, a group coming up from Jr High that only lost 1 game and that was w/3 starters out sick & to a much larger school.  1 of the 9th graders averaged 12 pts & 6 boards a game once he was moved up including 2 dunks in the state tourn. 

The girls job is a little different.  They will barely win a game next season, but after that you are looking at yr after yr of State tourn runs to include a possible state title in 2012 & 13 if they hire the right person.  In Jr High next season their starting line up is 6'3, 6'0, 5'8, 5'7, 5'3.  And they can all play!  Won the Conference Tournament this season as 8th graders.

big_ups

Wow, that is some real insight.  You must really be connected, I heard everything went down differently, but I suppose that is the fun of these boards. 

The way I heard (from a former coach there) that it all happend was that the Super wanted to win a ring by pulling strings so he decided to make moves in the offseason that he did in the 70s, this pushed one coach over the edge and he left.  The Super had someone in mind to fill the job, but never checked on what it actually takes to be a teacher and coach in Arkansas.  Once, hired, the Super found that he had screwed up and then forced the job onto the girls coach.  The girls coach was then the head jr. girls coach, assistant 7th girls coach, the Jr. high bench coach, the head boys coach and I just heard he was also the head baseball coach.  Also, the former coach I talked to, told me that he wasnt even allowed to finish practices with the boys as he had to split his time with the girls.  Also, the administration wouldn't let the coaches remove players that were distractions or had behavior "issues".  Apparently the Super controls all that stuff.
As for how the coach did?  Well, I didn't give any of the teams a chance under these circumstances but the jr. girls won district, the jr. boys won district (by the skin of their teeth to the wildcats of Harding), the sr. boys were a play away from the finals.  I am not sure about the boys being overloaded with talent as they weren't very deep at all considering they had to play a freshman in state.  Also, I am not sure how anyone can act like one team should have obviously won state.  I mean, Valley was ranked #1 for the longest and they had a legit shot at beating Earle, but they missed some shots down the stretch. 
I was told that the coach in question wasn't given any options concerning coaching and so he took that to mean that he should just be a teacher.  Then the Super came back and asked him to take the girls and offered him a kids parent as the assistant coach and he said no.
In this situation from three coaches, the administration is an absolute mess, they are not on the same page and all think that they were the best coaches, though I can't find anyone who thinks that they could coach in their day. 
I hope that third choice Lafoon is successfull and I also hope that the girls get a good coach as there is talent there.  But unfortunately, with this administration calling the shots.....................................................I don't think that anyone can guess what will happen.

Sourmilkstain

April 28, 2010, 02:31:31 am #7 Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:34:09 am by Sourmilkstain
Well...everything i said was common knowledge.  The Sup had to stand before the faculty and staff and admit he messed up, and from there everything became known to all.

The guy who coached last year allowed the kids to run all over him, and the discipline of players seemed to be handled by someone else(who I have no clue), but players were suspended during different parts of the year for typical things.  But I am not sure where you got the understanding that players weren't "removed" of which you didn't really make clear why they should have.
The coach was only the Sr Boys & Girls coach though.  They hired an assistant fresh out of college named Claxton who coached both Jr high teams and 7th grade teams.

The teams...Jr Boys had already mercy ruled the Academy during the season, but in the tournament 2 starters were out w/injury and the other suspended for the first half. 
The reason the 9th grader played in state is because he would have started for Earle even.  He averaged 20 + & 11 boards a game in Jr High. 
The coach was given options, just didn't choose wisely enough for the Sup.  Since he already had an assist and they couldn't even afford to have an assist for boys, I doubt they offered to hire a kids parent.

Don't know where you get that the Sup is more than 1 person, but you are right he does think that he can coach.  Heard from someone who sat by him at a game this season that the whole time he sits there mouthing the coach. 
As far as 3rd choice...that statement makes this sound like you applied and didn't get a call back.  However, public knowledge is that they called back 3 guys and 1 told them he was no longer interested.  No one knows if he was 1st, 2nd, 3rd, choice since he didn't come back.  Then after the 2 others interviewed again they recommended Laffoon to the board.  Doesn't sound like a 3rd choice to me. 
Besides, I don't know who all applied.  All I know is that even if it was their 10th choice...at least this one is certified!

Baller Fan35

After reading the previous posts I must say that Big Ups is more on point than SourMilk.  Sour you are so wrong on many levels about the coaching duties at the View and what has transpired since the end of the season.  Claxton coached the Jr. Boys and 7th grade girls.  Stumpenhaus coached both Sr. high teams and Jr. Girls. Another guy coached 7th boys.  Stump also assisted the Jr. Boys.  He split his time between coaching 3 teams and teaching 3 classes, not P.E. like most coaches with as many duties as he had.  He also helped the new Assistant Coach with the 7th grade girls during practice when he didn't have to.  And yes, he is currently coaching baseball.  Please don't knock  the Coach.  He was put in a situation not of his making.  He wanted the job before the other guy was brought in, but was not what they wanted.  Funny how when they needed him they wanted him to save face, but didn't give him much support and pretty much called the season a wash after the other guy fell through. If he had been given the team after Starkey left, and had them all summer for camps and off season and preseason, I think the outcome would have been very different.  Look what he did with the hand he was dealt.  The situation was hard for everyone involved, meaning Coaches, players and parents, but the best was made of  the situation and the team did way better than anyone expected after all that happened.  Mistakes were made and the ones who are and were hurt the most are the kids because the coaching carousel continues.  The guy made it to the Final 4 as an interim coach, since when do you not give someone another shot after having a successful first season.  That's my take on it.  As for all the other stuff, no comment.

Sportsnutt

I have to agree with BallerFan.  Sour milk must be talking about a school other than Riverview.  He coached the teams that Ballerfan listed.  Since both of the Harding Jr. boys games were at Riverview, I saw them both and the only player that did not play that final game for Riverview was the Howard kid who had hurt his ankle.  Des, Rashard, DeShawn all played in that last game.  Seems like there was some foul trouble for either Rashard or DeShawn and they had to sit because of that for a while.  Desmond responded and carried the Raiders that game.  By the way, I think we have to acknowledge the fact that Harding's top player did not play in that game (Francis had already moved to the Sr high team by then) and the second best player (#4) was hurt and only played about 2 or 3 minutes the whole game.  In fact, I remember him going in and he couldn't move but they would just have him spot up at the three point line and try to get him an open spot.  The first game was not a mercy rule either (about 15 points and was close at the end of the 3rd but the View opened it up down the stretch and made some free throws).

Everything at the View may not be great but if you (sourmilk) are going to state the facts, at least state them correctly.  Baller fan may be right.  It may be sour milk because he didn't get a call back when he applied for the job.

Sourmilkstain

Ballfan...so I missed one team, not sure how that is wrong on so many levels, but hey you are the level measurer here. 
The first time they had 3 better candidates than the one the Sup chose.  He chose based on a connection of a Coach who played at Harding hoping that instead of the good players going off to play college ball this coach could get them to Harding.  Not saying this one the determining factor, but that played a role.

I don't know if you are forgetting that Starky coached all teams when he was there for a few years and then they finally hired a girls coach which was Stumpen.  So whether Stumpen coached all or not it doesn't matter.  He has ZERO control.  He had a kid get completely ejected from a game.  I have been watching basketball for many years and have only seen that one other time.  I know it happens, but I never saw any situation like that w/Starky. 
I would ask Starky who to blame before tagging the whole Admin for the cause of him leaving.  I've never heard him mention anyone other than the Sup when I talked to him at the State Tourn.

I do believe they have hired a much better selection than Stumpen & the 1 hired last season.  Interested to see who they announce as their girls coach now.

As for Sportsnutt...check the tape.  Rashard was suspended for the first quarter if not more.  He did not start that game, but when he came in he owned it.  Deshawn sat out most of the game not just because he got into late foul trouble, but because he still wasn't getting around well on a bad ankle that caused him to miss several games.  And Francis...well he never played Jr High ball this season.  He was moved up after football season was over w/ due to the Keese kid having to have knee surgery and being out the whole season.  We live and die by the choices we make and moving him up was great for the Sr. High(I mean the kid poured in 33 in the 1st game at State), but moving him up from the beginning means you can't scream excuses since they got their w/out him.

Sportsnutt

Quote from: Sourmilkstain on April 30, 2010, 02:08:09 am
Ballfan...so I missed one team, not sure how that is wrong on so many levels, but hey you are the level measurer here. 
The first time they had 3 better candidates than the one the Sup chose.  He chose based on a connection of a Coach who played at Harding hoping that instead of the good players going off to play college ball this coach could get them to Harding.  Not saying this one the determining factor, but that played a role.

I don't know if you are forgetting that Starky coached all teams when he was there for a few years and then they finally hired a girls coach which was Stumpen.  So whether Stumpen coached all or not it doesn't matter.  He has ZERO control.  He had a kid get completely ejected from a game.  I have been watching basketball for many years and have only seen that one other time.  I know it happens, but I never saw any situation like that w/Starky. 
I would ask Starky who to blame before tagging the whole Admin for the cause of him leaving.  I've never heard him mention anyone other than the Sup when I talked to him at the State Tourn.

I do believe they have hired a much better selection than Stumpen & the 1 hired last season.  Interested to see who they announce as their girls coach now.

As for Sportsnutt...check the tape.  Rashard was suspended for the first quarter if not more.  He did not start that game, but when he came in he owned it.  Deshawn sat out most of the game not just because he got into late foul trouble, but because he still wasn't getting around well on a bad ankle that caused him to miss several games.  And Francis...well he never played Jr High ball this season.  He was moved up after football season was over w/ due to the Keese kid having to have knee surgery and being out the whole season.  We live and die by the choices we make and moving him up was great for the Sr. High(I mean the kid poured in 33 in the 1st game at State), but moving him up from the beginning means you can't scream excuses since they got their w/out him.

Dude, why would a Riverview fan be making excuses for Harding?  I was being realistic as a fan that when you spout off about mercy rule wins that never happened and make up stuff about the close game, it makes us (riverview) look bad.  Now for the facts, I was at the final game and Rashard played the first quarter.  I just looked at a picture from the opening tip of the game and guess who is jumping for Riverview.  Nevermind, since you know everything, you won't believe that either.  By the way, Francis did play Jr. high this year for Harding.  He was moved up during the Christmas break.  I saw him play at the Beebe tournament with the junior high and I know he had a big game when they beat Augusta at the McCrory tournament.  oh, but i forgot, that can't be right because you know everything.

Do me a favor, will you?  Either stop posting as a Riverview fan or stop posting at all.  You are embarrassing the rest of us Raider fans with your lack of knowledge.

big_ups

Also, FYI:  Starkey only coached the sr. high girls and boys that year as coach Wallace had the jr. girls and jr. boys that year.  The 7th grade teams were still at the Set and Jud as the Jr. high building was not built yet. 
As for CONTROL, I think that the coach should have the authority and the support to have control.............if the coach can't do what he wants to do and is handcuffed by the administration then lack of control will be the result............
I really wish that this thread would be more positive, the Raiders had a wonderful season in both jr.hi and sr.hi.  I hope for both communities that this success continues whomever coaches the teams. 

fredthompson

Sourmilkstain

Big ups...you keep saying admin, from all the fans I know they say the Sup is the only issue.  So is this the admin that is handcuffing or does it go beyond this?  talked to one of the football coaches and he said that coach Stumpen was asked to kick a discipline problem off the team and he said he didn't want to.  how is that being handcuffed at all?

big_ups

I only say admin, because that is the word that is used by the people that I have asked and the peopl that talk about the different things.  I talked to Coach Bonner and he said that the "admin won't let you kick people off."  Maybe your right though and the football coach knows more of the situation.

fredthompson

That one comment does not speak for how the fball coaches think. Dont read too much into that, but that statement does not speak for how the fball coaches think!

big_ups

I'm sure as with all things there are so many sides to this story that will never be heard and probably it is best kept that way.  I truly started this thread as a means of getting a broader picture of what was going on over there, versus what I had heard and what I had gathered by asking some people.  I certainly didnt mean this to get into a bashing situation.  Everyone has opinions and everyone has a point of view, I have two sons about middle school age and I am moving so I had the opportunity to look at a few of the schools in the White County area.  I had followed Riverview's rise the past few years in basketball and I just really thought that it was strange that Coach Starkey left all that great talent, to go to a team without much talent and a really tough league.  I asked him and around and got information that "admin" would not let him run his program (off-season, pre-season, summer stuff, discipline).  They hire what may have been a perfect fit coach and that fell through and they turned to the girls coach which to me is a very strange situation coming from where I'm from.  As has been stated, that guy had a tremendous load on his plate and yet despite, the team did well and went far (only the third team in their school history to get as far according to their banners).   There have been several statements made and many things said, and I have found much more out in this process.  It turns out from a parent, that the girls coach had tried to get to the classroom before the year had started and was told to hold out one year and there might be some availability.  I heard from Starkey that the basketball coaches were promised assistants that they would get to be in on the hire and that never happend for the girls as every sport has an assistant except the girls basketball program.  So maybe all these are linked and maybe the guy got worn completely out.........3 game night four nights a week for 3 months, then jump to baseball and mix in some teaching........the guy probably deserves a break.  I will still not send my kids into this situation, probably will opt for the stability of the Academy, but I sure do look forward to that rivalry game this year, go cats.

fredthompson

The Academy might very well be my pick to win state this year, but I like the View to go far if they can get everyone settled down. Keese coming back should be a big difference maker for the Academy. If it is the Academy and View playing at Hot Springs I will be happy!

Sourmilkstain

fred...you comment about ftball coaches thinking is really really confusing.  read over it again and help me out a little, cause it seems like you said the exact same things over again.

academy and the view will pretty much be the exact same teams they were this past year.  Manila has everyone back basically or should I say 95% of their scoring.  View had a 6'3 or taller kid that moved in during the season so he wasn't eligible, just sitting on the bench in street clothes all season.  Heard he can ball a little.  Keese back next year only means less shots for Francis.  So I see Keese as a negative.  He was nothing but average when he played as a Soph.  Francis is who everything needs to revolve around if they are smart!  Kid is one of the best shooters I have seen in a very very long time.  Keese loves to get his shots, and that means Stevens & Francis can't have their game to its fullest.  W/ a new coach...should a say a good new coach, riverview should win that conference hands down next season, but I could see the Academy coming in an easy 2nd.  The view should own that conference for the next 3 seasons at the least. 

Hate to hear that a decision on where to send a kid is based on rumors.  But the View will soon own the conference in every sport except baseball, so if you are really wanting your kid to get noticed by someone other than the college next door I think the Views resume speaks for itself since they did have a former player playing on ESPN 6 times this season.  Starkey never lumped a group of people into his decision to leave in any conversation I've had w/him.  At state this year his exact words were pointed at 1 man being the reason he left, and he stated his name.  That same 1 man made the hire last year that was a little under the table.  These 2 new hires seem to be more of a very open and honest deal in which 2 great coaches have been hired.  Everything has been out in the open and all details were made available for anyone to know, which I know personally because I kept asking questions and getting clear answers when I would call.

As far as the ftball coaches thinking...they have kicked players off the team for discipline reasons almost every season according to them, and never been told they couldn't.  I witnessed Bonner being told that a kid needed to be kicked off the team the day after he was tossed from a ball game.  So I don't believe that Bonner would put his hand on the Bible on that statement.

Sourmilkstain

May 06, 2010, 04:56:22 pm #20 Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:59:41 pm by Sourmilkstain
Sportsnutt...never ASSuME.  You know what happens when you ASSuME.  Never said I was a Raider fan.  Hard to be a Raider fan w/ a Sup that ignorant and the terrible coach they had last season.  I am just someone who travels all over Arkansas and even sometimes outside of the state, to watch basketball.  View just happens to play a lot around C. Arkansas and I have seemed to become friends w/several folks from the View over the years.  I wouldn't dare pose as a Raider fan though Sportsnutt, so you can stop fulfilling what happens when you ASSuME. 

"You Raider fans"...glad you brought that up.  Lucky you play in such a conference w/ other terribly supported teams, so you can at least look like the teams are supported a little.  Sad when there is plenty of room the visitors to come sit on the home side when you have had a team in the state tournament almost every year for the past 6 yrs.  Been to the final 4 now how many times?  A lot!  Yet anyone could walk in to any game during the season and find a front row seat on the home side easily!  Hate to embarrass fans like that!  You make it sound like you guys are so proud of the Raiders you just rock the house every night!  Don't give me that self righteous bull crap.  Your school pride and support don't back up your strong words, so I am a little too proud to lump myself into a group who can't even support their teams.

LionCatfan

Quote from: Sourmilkstain on May 06, 2010, 04:39:01 pm
But the View will soon own the conference in every sport except baseball, so if you are really wanting your kid to get noticed by someone other than the college next door I think the Views resume speaks for itself since they did have a former player playing on ESPN 6 times this season.

WOW.....it only took you 29 posts to pretty much be an expert on Riverview & Academy. Can anyone do it in less than 29  posts?  LOL

LCfan 

Sportsnutt

Quote from: Sourmilkstain on May 06, 2010, 04:56:22 pm
Sportsnutt...never ASSuME.  You know what happens when you ASSuME.  Never said I was a Raider fan.  Hard to be a Raider fan w/ a Sup that ignorant and the terrible coach they had last season.  I am just someone who travels all over Arkansas and even sometimes outside of the state, to watch basketball.  View just happens to play a lot around C. Arkansas and I have seemed to become friends w/several folks from the View over the years.  I wouldn't dare pose as a Raider fan though Sportsnutt, so you can stop fulfilling what happens when you ASSuME. 

"You Raider fans"...glad you brought that up.  Lucky you play in such a conference w/ other terribly supported teams, so you can at least look like the teams are supported a little.  Sad when there is plenty of room the visitors to come sit on the home side when you have had a team in the state tournament almost every year for the past 6 yrs.  Been to the final 4 now how many times?  A lot!  Yet anyone could walk in to any game during the season and find a front row seat on the home side easily!  Hate to embarrass fans like that!  You make it sound like you guys are so proud of the Raiders you just rock the house every night!  Don't give me that self righteous bull crap.  Your school pride and support don't back up your strong words, so I am a little too proud to lump myself into a group who can't even support their teams.

I didn't assume anything.  I didn't assume you were a Riverview fan.  Read the post (something you seem to have trouble with).  You commented that I was making excuses for the Academy for moving up Francis.  My comment was "why would a Riverview fan make excuses for the Academy".  So, I was referring to me and not you. 

I agree with LionCatFan - it is amazing how you are an expert on Riverview and Harding in only 29 posts.  Good one LCF!

Sourmilkstain

How is that an expert?  29 post?  You think I just started watching sports yesterday or something?  Na

I'm sorry that the info I stated really ruffled your feathers there SearcyAcademy, but unless the Academy goes out and does some recruiting like their other fellow "Christian" schools, they will own nothing but baseball in the years to come in that conference.  I hear View went undefeated in Jr High Football and won almost every game by mercy rule.  Then they only lost 1 game in hoops to Lonoke who isn't even in the conference.  Unless the new conference members come in and do something to change that, I would say that is the outlook.

By the way...can you name more than 1 kid in the past decade that has gone on to play anywhere other than Harding from the Academy?  View just in the past 4 yrs has had 2 kids go D1 JUCO, and 1 went on to play D1.  The other had more than enough talent to play D1, but chose a less lawful route.  Right now they have a few that could end up D1 if they wake up and stop letting parents coach them.

I've been watching the View since the first year of the school, watched a few Kensett & Jud games a few years before that.  Been watching Academy since early 90's, so 29 post doesn't quite cover how long it took to recognize talent.

Sportsnutt

I may be wrong but I think Jeb Huckeba went to the Academy and then played at a school beside Harding. 

fredthompson

1. Keese will hurt the Academy! I have no response for such stupidity!
2. Academy will need to go out and recruit. You are right-THEY ARE NOT LIKE most of the other    Privates! Academy football speaks for itself on football tradition and that wont change anytime soon!
3. Coach Stump, Coach Starky, and Coach Bonner are good guys and the slander for either are uncalled for!
4. The View will be good next year, state championship contender good and so will the Academy. And no the Academy does not need to run kids off or down to create shots for the Francis kid or anyone else. Turn off the tv and quit watching the NBA!
5. The Academy over the View at Hot Springs next March was only my pick and yes Coach Taylor did maybe the best job in the state tourney last year and has a bunch back. I bet Coach Taylor would take Keese and Stevens and wouldnt worry about his chemistry make up or who gets their shots! lol
6. It would be a safer pick to call for one White County team to be in finals, but as you know Ilike my White Count teams! Love to Searcy go deep too!

Sourmilkstain

May 07, 2010, 04:04:23 pm #26 Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:08:29 pm by Sourmilkstain
Sportsnutt...read my words...I said name more than 1 kid, and how long ago did he graduate?  They had a rb just a yr ago that was getting offers from Tulsa, UCA, Memphis,etc...D1 schools.  Where did he end up?  Yes, good ol HU!
1)Academy made it past the 1st rd of state for the 1st time in a very long time w/out Keese.  Don't think it has anything to do w/ NBA, but there is only 1 ball to go around and I would keep it in the hands of Francis like they finally decided to do when Regions started.  Teams keyed on Francis and he still poured it in big!  Absolutely love watching that kid play!  I didn't say Keese was not an athlete, just that he likes his shots or has in the past.
2)If you notice, I made sure and word my phrase to let people know that I don't think they recruit.  So I am hoping you aren't getting that idea.
3)Academy football will change soon if their jr high was any indication of where they finish in the years to come.  They will always be playoff bound, but just won't keep winning conference.
4)Taylor wouldn't take Keese & Stevens,not because they aren't talented, but because they don't play cheap.  If you saw their State tourn run you know exactly what I mean.
5)Since you mentioned Searcy...they have got a hidden treasure over there that won't stay hidden for long in Sr. High boys!  That kid can flat out play!
6)Coaches...never said anything about them as people, and the only one I said anything negative about was Stumpen and his coaching.  Ask some Mtn View folks about his ability to coach because it's been that way for a long time.  I've had many conversations w/the other 2 and was fighting mad to see Starkey have to walk away from a team he would have won State w/ at least 1 more time.  Nothing I said about any of them was uncalled for because they weren't personal attacks.  People on here say I don't have a clue, maybe, but that doesn't make me a bad person off the forum now does it?  haha...some of you might think so w/out meeting me, but you know what I mean.

fredthompson

Stevens cant play for Coach Taylor??? I have now heard it all!

LionCatfan

Congratulations SMS in 30 posts you are now an expert on the athletic landscape of not only Riverview & HA but now lets throw in Searcy as well. You were also able to figure out that by my username that I support both Searcy & HA....well let me further explain that its because I have or have had student/athletes at both. You did not "ruffle" my feathers. I have been around White County athletics a LONG time & know that Riverview is a force to be reckoned with but HA always finds a way to compete for a championship. My take is that by the time Riverview dominates all sports they will be 4A but hope the rivalry continues.....its good for both schools.
The next time you see a post from me with LOL after it understand its in jest or as they say "tongue in  check"

LCfan

Sourmilkstain

May 08, 2010, 02:33:16 am #29 Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:37:33 am by Sourmilkstain
Quote from: Sportsnutt on May 04, 2010, 05:00:18 pm

Do me a favor, will you?  Either stop posting as a Riverview fan or stop posting at all.  You are embarrassing the rest of us Raider fans with your lack of knowledge.

How is this talking about just you?  I am not posting as a Raider fan.  Maybe you should read what you write there buddy. haha Good one Sportsballs!

fred...you have now misunderstood simple english for the second time.
1)I made it completely clear that I know the Academy doesn't recruit and you made me out to be saying the exact opposite.
2)I said that Taylor wouldn't want NEITHER Keese or Stevens because they don't play cheap.  If your reply is to the correctness of my statement then you are saying Stevens is a dirty player cause you think he could play for Taylor.
Did you ever see Taylors kid play?  Well he went on to get kicked out of S. Alabama basicly, then went to UCA and the coaches there sent him home, then this season was tossed out of a gym by the throat from Security.  His team made a giant specticle of themselves not just in the first few rounds of the State, but on the main stage of Hot Springs!  Does that sound like the type of kids that Stevens fits in with?  You seem to think so evidently because me saying he doesn't to you means that you have heard it all now!

Lion...pretty sharp aren't I!  Figured all that out all by myself!  haha
Still not getting why 30 post has anything to do w/anyones knowledge of anything at all really.  Now you've got Sportballs saying it, and he makes it sound dumb!  So should I just run around on here for the next week commenting on every single topic to get my numbers up, because a college degree means nothing compared to post stats evidently.  I know you say you were joking in your post, but I'm just curious so please humor me and fill me in.

LionCatfan

Quote from: Sourmilkstain on May 08, 2010, 02:33:16 am
Quote from: Sportsnutt on May 04, 2010, 05:00:18 pm

Lion...pretty sharp aren't I!  Figured all that out all by myself!  haha
Still not getting why 30 post has anything to do w/anyones knowledge of anything at all really.  Now you've got Sportballs saying it, and he makes it sound dumb!  So should I just run around on here for the next week commenting on every single topic to get my numbers up, because a college degree means nothing compared to post stats evidently.  I know you say you were joking in your post, but I'm just curious so please humor me and fill me in.

the 30 post reference was done as I mentioned "tongue in cheek"....I am not saying you were not qualified just find it odd that you chose to burst on the scene with all this "controversial" (note the quotations) information about specifics at the aforementioned White county schools. Now if I continue to post then it will look like my feathers were ruffled ....nope just a difference of opinion about only one thing and that I have already stated....The View will be 4A before they dominate all sports and I hope they do as it will make sports much better in White county. I will not get into the player/athlete discussion as I think public forums should not be where names are named but that is just my OPINION because you will always find someone to post something negative. That's enough back & forth between us as we have gotten way off the topic.....you are welcome to PM me.   

LCfan

fredthompson

My fault on Coach Taylor, sourmilk. I now understand you were just cutting down Coach Taylor on being dirty or teaching dirty play. Never mind that Coach Taylor is one of the very best coaches in the state! Sounds like a lot of that is based on his son, who I will agree had some attitude issues. I will also say he is one of the best small schoolers to ever come out of our great state. Was the Ballard kid dirty? The Ballard was a great player and anything, but dirty if you need any help! Coach Taylor possibly had less talent this year than the View,Baptist, or the Academy and yet went further. Not with dirty play, but hard nosed defense and toughness! Stevens and Keese could both play for him because they have toughness! I still dont think Keese taking shots from other kids would be a factor! lol  BTW, on the subject of toughness I dont think anyone in White County has more toughness than Keese! Also, for the record Harding Academy is not known for great jh fball teams, but great hs fball teams!

AAAspectator

Mark it down: Laffoon will be looking after this season unless they win it all; either on his own or with Admin help

Sourmilkstain

Again, taking things and twisting them to whatever point you are wanting to make.
Taylor...good coach, there is a history of dirty players.  Did you miss the State tourn?  How bout the finals when everyone else in the State saw his players, should I say a few of them, just absolutely act a fool?  Kids tend to act like their coach...I believe John Wooden said that!  To help you out...I am absolutely sure he said that in books and in ESPN interviews.
Keese & Stevens...I apologize in advance LionCat, but this is the last I'll mention them.  Both great great athletes.  Stevens will go on to play at the least at Harding if not somewhere a little better.  Keese should get a shot at free safety on the college level again more than likely at Harding.  They could play on anyones team in the country because of their great attitudes
Can you take the saddle off of them now fred?
Football...the View hasn't been known for Sr. High at all, but that comes to an end real soon.  It does hurt that Coach D is heading back to Texas, but when you got a shot to coach Texas High School football...you DO NOT pass that up!

AAAspectator...I have only heard from a few coaches who really really like Laffoon, but why has there been such negative on this post about him?  Not speaking bad of your opinion, just love to hear both sides of the subject and I've heard everyones side except you and Big_ups who seem to have a different view.

LionCat...wouldn't have ever posted period if I hadn't jumped on to see such negative talk about a program that has been a good one in the Starkey era, and looks to be trying to recover from a bad last year.  So I guess I got my feathers ruffled about someone who was shooting down a new coach before he ever sets foot on campus. 

Mtnviewfan

It seems that you got more than your feather's ruffled, it seems like an all out attack on the community and the former coach, who as I understand it, was only asked to coach them a year in addition to everything else.  While at Mtn. View, the coach that you attacked took a program that was in last place and hadn't seen postseason action in over a decade and got the program competitive and to the postseason consisitently.  My son, went on to play college baseball mainly because of what that man did by way of calling coaches, taking him to tryouts, individual work, ect...  You may not call that good coaching sir, but I certainly do.
It seems to me to be a very personal attack on the man and if you have such a personal problem with him, then perhaps you should talk directly to him instead of hiding on posts!

fredthompson

Coach Stump did do a respectable job and was not to blame for the year last season. BTW, didnt em to bad of a year. Coaches take a lot of hits by folks and are treated very unfairly at times. I dont think coaches are always responsible for what their players do on and especially off the floor. That goes for whoever we are discussing! What is important is how they deal with bad behavior after it happens if it cant be prevented. Wouldnt that go for Coach Starkey as well as Coach Stump or Coach Taylor or any other coach? I think we better quit while we are ahead on that subject! What we need are administrators that support their coaches and kids. We need coaches that do their best to be role models, have the best discipline they can, respect their bosses/administrators, and care for their kids. We need parents that support their kids and encourage and demand they listen to their coaches. That would mean not quitting when things dont go their way! The View will be very good next year and will be state championship contenders if these things are in place! I think even John Wooden would agree with that!

Sourmilkstain

OOOHHHH!!!  We got a new little birdie in town now!  Glad you got your feathers ruffled enough to become a member of Fearless Friday there MtnViewfan!!! haha

You know Mtn View came down a year or 2 ago and played the final game of the reg season at the View.  I can't tell you how many of your fans had some terrible stuff to say about his coaching.  Just like I have done, they never attacked the man, just the coaching.  I bet he'll be proud to know he has at least 1 fan back in his old town! 
By the way...I'm a little bolder in person actually.  Kinda keep it down on here considering the moderators and all.  As a matter of fact I just so happened to be at a game this past season in which they welcomed the Lions of England.  I mainly went to watch Englands girls, but stuck around for the guys.
Watched a kid from the View just go flat out crazy on the court for a tiny reason such as the kid said something to him.  The View player preceeds to carry on what looked to be an ALL NBA Drama for what seemed like 10 min(may have only been 2).  The kid is being held back by teammates after being ejected and while walking off the court puts his finger in the visiting coaches face and starts yelling at him.  All the while, Stumpen is still standing in front of his chair just watching.  Finally after the kid gets to the bench Stumpen puts his arm around him and leads him off the court.
Prior to your request...I spoke to him after that game and told him exactly what I thought about his lack of ability to control/discipline kids.  In all my years of watching hoops, I have NEVER seen anything like that event!  So your Boy knows exactly how I feel.  There is nothing personal between your Boy & me.  I don't believe he can coach, know absolutely nothing of the man off the court, so how is there anything personal?
By the way...don't assume I had my feathers ruffled about anything other than what I said.  The rest of what I had to say was mellowed out, honest, and as relaxed as you get from me.  Just because I don't like what someone says and choose to comment doesn't mean I've went crazy.

Fred...the team could have been coached by you and made it to the finals!  Don't know you, but I am just saying that there was no way that anyone other than Baptist & Earle should have beaten the View at State.  The reason I say Baptist is because the View really struggles w/anyone who can match their tempo and quickness.  I believe w/all my heart that Starkey would have won State w/that team last year! 
I don't think is so much his Xs & Os, but the fact that the team seemed to always laugh at him behind his back in the huddle, did whatever they wanted to do, and just ran all over him.  I've seen his girls doing that for the past 3 seasons! 
As far as Admin supporting...when the former Sup was there you never seemed to have any staff issues.  Things changed in a hurry when he retired, and it was rather shocking to see such a drastic change so sudden!  I do think that the rest of the admin from Jr high all the way up seem to really truly care about the kids & coaches.  I see them all at every single game I've ever been to no matter where I've been to watch the View.  Seem to be very positive people as well.  That assist principle is a character I tell ya!  Great guy!

Still waiting on an answer as to why Laffoon will flop, leave, and never look back from Big_ups & AAA.

fredthompson

Me take a team to the finals? Wow! You are fixin to get your tempo you want! The View has not seen tempo at the speed they are going to see it. I think the anti-Stump folks will like it and the Academy will like it and yes sourmilk, Baptist will like it!

Sourmilkstain

fred...you seem to be the only one responding these days, so maybe you have a clue about this since you seem to know at least a little bit of what goes on over there at the View.

Why are people hating on a new coach that hasn't even stepped on campus?  From what I have heard, he was mentored by Wes Swift and highly recommended by him.  He helped get things going again at Star City, I don't know anything about Star City so when I say that this is just what I was told.  So how's this move going to be a bad one?

fredthompson

It will be great for a good fan like you. You will like his tempo. Impressed you know Wes Swift or who he is. Maybe you should go down and talk to him after a game sometime.

Sourmilkstain

Well, you can't win as many state titles as he has in this decade and stay hidden to long.  Known about him since his early days at Hughes.  Very classy guy!  If he recommended Laffoon and was willing to put his name on the line for this guy...well that means a lot more than a couple guys hating on him and not giving a reason why.

I wouldn't exactly call me a good fan unless you are speaking of the St. Louis Cardinals.  A good fan has a specific team they support pretty heavily.  I just drive to a different arena each night of the week to watch any team.

You know, not that you mention it, I have gone down after a game and talked to Swift before.  He was coaching the Wings at the Farris Center in Conway.  He was standing w/ Bill Self, Coach K, & Coach Cal.  You gotta like a guy that hangs w/that crowd! haha

I might show and watch a few more View games this year to see about this Laffoon!  Especially since he won't be around anymore after this season I hear!  From AAA of course, but he won't tell me why.

Sourmilkstain

May 13, 2010, 05:13:57 am #41 Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:16:37 am by Sourmilkstain
Well...found out the real reason behind that coach leaving the View last week!  I am speaking about one of the football coaches that decided to go back to TX. 
Was told by strong source in his fam that he and his wife had moved here w/the intent on never leaving because she was from the Searcy area and he had played football at Harding.
Well...he left after just a couple seasons.  On his way out he made sure to let the AD know that the main reason he was leaving was because of the Sup!  Yet another coach the Sup has run off!  He said he loved everything about the program, the students, the AD, the other coaches, but just had all he could take of the Sup.
WOW!  Isn't this guy apart of the AAA board or something?  (Reason I am thinking that is because he handed out a trophy at the State Tourn this year.)

Maybe this is why AAA is thinking that Laffoon will be looking after this year?

AAAspectator

Quote from: Sourmilkstain on May 13, 2010, 05:13:57 am
Maybe this is why AAA is thinking that Laffoon will be looking after this year?

Bingo

footballman

May 13, 2010, 05:27:28 pm #43 Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:31:22 pm by footballman
?

AAAspectator

The Supt will step on his toes more than Ray Charles dancing.

Baller Fan35

SourMilk....do you know the Sup?  Just wondering what you think of him personally or are all of your opinions based on what someone else has told you?  You may have already stated this, but I don't want to go back and read all the post to find out ;D

Sourmilkstain

AAA...kinda starting to catch your drift on this line of thinking.

Baller...don't, but have known one of the football coaches since he was in Jr High.  Also have talked to the coach that left on several occasions because we both have a large interest in TX H.S. football.

Also know Starkey personally, and if anyone could ever do anything wrong to that man there is got to be something wrong w/them!!!  One of the best men I know on this planet, and anyone that has ever spent much time around him knows that his faith is very much a leading part of his life.  Just don't know how anyone w/a heart could turn their back on him.

So, I don't know him personally, but from the debris that seems to be left of the people that do know him...I'll keep my personal life at a distance from him.

AAAspectator

Starkey wins a championship and "chooses" to leave for admin. 3 coaches in 4 years. 4 years removed from a championship and a ton of talent. I don't know Laffoon but I guy I know says he can coach but worried about him taking that job. That is where my opinion is based.

Sourmilkstain

I hear ya.  If he can add some discipline to the talent that is there in, it might just be worth it to stay and maybe have a chance at 2 titles at least.  Not saying anything is in the bag, but there is the perfect chance to do that if there ever was one.

I don't know Laffoon either, just have heard from a hand full of coaches who do and they all believe the hire was the best they could have done.  They've said nothing about how long they think he will be there, but from what I understand he actually would like to be further NW because I believe his wife is from that area or that is where he went to college or something to that affect.

AAAspectator

May 15, 2010, 05:46:35 pm #49 Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:29:34 pm by AAAspectator
Quote from: Sourmilkstain on May 15, 2010, 01:52:52 am
I hear ya.  If he can add some discipline to the talent that is there in, it might just be worth it to stay and maybe have a chance at 2 titles at least.  Not saying anything is in the bag, but there is the perfect chance to do that if there ever was one.

If he is allowed to coach and run the program the way he wants, he'll have success. If he has to endure the Supt. wanting to coach and tell the Coach how to coach he'll be out-his way or theirs. From my source.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas