• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

“Checking the Stock” of Class 4A

Started by FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48, October 14, 2008, 03:50:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

October 14, 2008, 03:50:07 am Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:55:31 am by FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48
Well, we now find ourselves over halfway through the regular season, and for the 4A, this week marks the halfway point in conference play.  A lot has changed since my last assessment of class 4A, however, in that same breath, so much has remained the same.  Class 4A is well known around the state for one thing--tradition rich programs.  Some programs have managed to cultivate that tradition into success story after success story, season after season, while others have fallen off the success-train long ago.  I believe this season, we're seeing teams making some steps to create some tradition of their own, while other continue to work towards improving theirs.  With all that's going on in the world around us, from Wall Street to wars overseas--it's so comforting, in a sense, to be able to come together every Friday night to watch our fine young men represent our respective communities state-wide. I've crunched some updated numbers, dug in and done some research and broke down the information, hopefully leaving you with some insightful observations as we begin "Checking the Stock" of Class 4A.

Top 10 for Class 4A:

1.  Nashville (6-0):  It really should come as no surprise that Nashville tops my poll and the Scrappers can now lay claim to not only being the #1 team in the 4A, but many publications see them as the best team in Arkansas--period.  I can't say I argue with those publications because records speak for themselves and these numbers don't lie:  48-2 over the past three and a half seasons, 3 state titles with more notable wins than I can count over the likes of Warren, Dollarway, CAC and other powers around the state.  Throw in the fact that this season, they've beaten the 3A #2 team Prescott, a solid Liberty-Eylau team and then two schools who were ranked in the Top 10 when the Scrappers beat them (DeQueen and Pulaski Oak Grove) and you see how much success the Scrappers have had.  Throw in the fact they've all but assured themselves the 7-4A title and home field advantage through-out the play-offs and Nashville is simply the clear cut favorite to win their 4th state title in as many years.  One can't help but admire the job Dawson has done with this program as the tradition rich keep getting richer. 

2.  Shiloh Christian (5-1):  You can say whatever you want to about Shiloh Christian but the fact remains, like them or not, this is a very good football team.  Coach Floyd has shown that he's not afraid to fit the package to the personnel as the Saints have looked to a steady ground game at points this season.  Well coached, disciplined and determined to prove to the 4A that they do indeed belong makes the Saints such a dangerous opponent in 2008.  Everyone wanted to point and laugh when Evangel absolutely embarrassed the Saints in Week 1, but as the season has progressed, it appears the Saints might just get the last laugh.  Their Week 3 win over Greenwood doesn't look quite as impressive now that the Bulldogs have stumbled a bit, but what Shiloh Christian is doing to their fellow 1-4A conference opponents is on the verge of cruel and unusual punishment.  55-3, that's the average margin of victory between Shiloh and their first three conference opponents.  Granted, Berryville and Pea Ridge wouldn't make any elite team shiver, but the 49-8 beat down of Prairie Grove--once the class of the conference--certainly put everyone else in the state on high alert.

3.  Osceola (5-1):  I'm telling you, people are still sleeping on the 'Noles having them hovering in the bottom half of their Top 10s and that's going to come back to bite them!  Coach Gore has put together an extremely solid football team up there in NE Arkansas, and he's proving it week after week.  Their lone loss on the season still looks good on the schedule as Blytheville remains unbeaten and plays Helena-West Helena for what could be the 5A East title this Friday night.  For me, I began noticing Osceola as a legit contender after they hung 70 on their arch-rival Rivercrest.  Since that game in Week 3, it has been beat down after beat down laid on 3-4A opponents by the 'Noles.  They've yet to score less than 40 points in a conference match-up, and haven't given up more than two touchdowns in one game.  Trumann was supposed to offer them a challenge last week but the Wildcats were run out of town to the tune of 42-14.  This week will separate the men from the boys as Osceola travels to Newport for what will be the 3-4A championship game.  Will they stamp "legit" on themselves with a big-time win?

4.  Lonoke (5-1):  Could this finally be the Jackrabbits year? 1994, that is the year Lonoke last won the state title but they're certainly looking to give that trophy some company in the case this season.  They have proven they have the offensive firepower and speed to stay with anyone on the field as their 38 ppg game average will show.  Elam and Harris are soaking up headlines and are a very formidable duo for anyone to have to scheme for.  If there's one thing I can say for the 'Rabbs though, it's this--the toughest is yet to come.   They close the regular season against the other two teams who are contending for the conference crown--at Stuttgart in Week 9 and then hosting Clinton in Week 10.  After that, assuming they survive those show-downs unscathed, they'll in all likely hood face Warren in the 2nd round and if anyone knows anything about the Jacks its that speed won't factor in against Warren--they neutralize it with a heavy does of their own.  After that, a trip to Shiloh possibly--ouch.  Tough reward for winning the conference, but to be the best, you have to beat the best--Lonoke is determined to do just that.

5.  Dollarway (3-3):  Don't sleep on that record folks because contrary to popular belief (including my own earlier this season) things are alive and well in Jefferson County.  After an abysmal start to the season, Cortez Lee said out with new and in with the old, scrapping the spread and heading back to the 'bone.  The results, well, they speak for themselves: 3-0 since the switch with wins against Warren, Dumas and Fordyce, essentially placing the Cardinals in the drivers seat of the 8-4A with a minor speed bump left in Star City in Week 10.  This could be the start of  that deep play-off run Dollarway was predicted to make before the season kicked off.  If there's one player that Cardinals fans can point to who has basically put Dollarway on his back and carried them, its senior Jesse Grandy.  Grandy has stepped up in a big way and seemingly won't let Dollarway loose, picking off Hayden Smith twice against Warren, recovering two fumbles and returning both for touchdowns again Dumas and then threw, ran for and intercepted a pass all for touchdowns against Fordyce.  Dollarway is starting to look like the team everyone expected them to be--and that's scary for the rest of the 4A.

6.  Warren (4-2):  "I'm all out of plans" said Bo Hembree when questioned what he was going to do about the situation in Warren after his Jacks lost their second starting quarterback in as many weeks to yet another leg injury.  There's tough breaks, bad luck and then there's what Warren has had to go through the past two weeks.  Hayden Smith was lost to a fracture just above the ankle late in the 3rd quarter against Star City two weeks ago and then this past week, replacement QB Trey Dennehl was lost to a leg injury right before halftime of the Dumas game.  Luckily for Warren they have the athletes to stay in almost any football game, but finding a field general for those athletes will be tough for Bo and company.  Savion Gilbert  may just have to step in a be the savior of Lumberjack football for the faithful in Bradley County, at least until the play-offs when there's an outside shot that one, if not both QBs could be back in action.  If Warren can survive against Fordyce this week, they should close out the remainder of the regular season at 8-2 but the play-offs are tricky and another injury to this team could turn them belly up.  If there are bright spots, it's the rushing attack and a newly found stingy defense who will be relied on now more than ever.

7.  Gravette (5-1):  The Lions just nearly let one slip away from them against the Eagles.  Huntsville has been largely unimpressive all season, but pushed Gravette to the edge in their homecoming match-up Friday night.  Escaping with the 31-27 win, Gravette can now refocus on the task at hand--beating a pretty decent 4-2 Farmington team.  Ethan McKinzie is quietly one of the 4A's top quarterbacks, however the Elams, Smiths and Vaughns seem to get all the press clippings.  Gravette has kind of felt the ebb and flow of the season so far, putting together two solid back-to-back performances then letting teams slip up on them (Wellington, KS in Week 3 and Huntsville last week).  They can't afford anymore mistakes as 3 of the 4 teams they close the season out with are right alongside the Lions in play-off contention.  Their defense of their 1-4A title of a year ago begins this week against the Cardinals, then reaches epic proportions next Friday night against Shiloh Christian.  If the Lions want to really prove they belong here, it starts with a win this week.

8.  DeQueen (5-1):  The Leopards are the only team to push Nashville this season, so for that, I commend them.  However, that stingy defense that gave up a combined 13 points in Weeks 2 and 3, and held Nashville to its lowest point total since Week 8 of last season (27-14 against Ashdown) is fresh off a game in which they let 0-5-1 Mena drop 35.  Granted, the Leopards threw 63 points of their own on the board, but still, you never want to see your defense give up those kind of points to such an inferior opponent.  All of that said, DeQueen has positioned itself nicely for the #2 seed from the 7-4A having already defeated Pulaski Oak Grove in Week 5.   Ashdown is improving week to week, and one would think they could be the last barrier between DeQueen and that #2 seed, but I don't think the Panthers will be any more than a speed bump for the Leopards to roll over.  With White and company pounding the ground week in and week out, DeQueen has found a good formula for success.

9.  Newport (5-1):  That lone loss to Batesville still looks good, thanks the Pioneers 6-0 record, and Top 5 ranking in the 5A.  However, giving up 20 points in Week 4 to a winless Highland team looks not so good.  Fortunately, it appears the 'Hounds have made their adjustments as they've outscored both Valley View and Pocahontas 81-7 the past two weeks and are now eyeing the 3-4A conference title.  There's one problem, they have to beat a very strong Osceola team to claim that title.  Since 1995, Newport is 1-6 against the Seminoles, and that lone win came in 1996.  Osceola has seemingly always been the thorn in the 'Hounds paw and now they have the chance to return the favor.  The defense looks solid and the offense, when it's clicking can put up some very good numbers and on top of that, they get to play the 'Noles in their own backyard.  This is certainly a statement game for Newport, who in some opinions, are on the outside looking in when it comes to title contention.  This is a big one for Coach Brannon and crew who will have the eye's of the state on them this Friday night.

10. (tie)  Dardanelle (5-1):   Well, if the Sandlizards want to win their first outright conference title in 21 years a win against West Fork Friday night can certainly point them in the right direction.  The Price is Right so to speak for Dardanelle as head coach Josh Price in his second season at the helm has collected 15 wins and looks to have his Lizards pointed towards their 6th straight play-off appearance with the stages set for another successful play-off run potentially as well.  There hasn't been anything fancy that Dardanelle has done to win games this season, they don't win flashy, in fact, they've won ugly twice (21-19 against Ozark and 21-18 against Pottsville) but the fact remains, they keep winning.  That lone loss was to a pretty good team too, the 6-0 7A Russellville Cyclone's--so all together, they've put together something special so far.   Beating the Tigers is just another step, the real test comes in Weeks 9 and 10 as they go on the road against Clarksville and Booneville--both teams will be in the thick of the conference race at that point.  Now it seems the real question is can they keep it going?

10. (tie) Stuttgart (6-0):  A few weeks ago, I questioned the Ricebirds offense and could you blame me, they had scored 64 points in 3 games with 36 of that coming against teams that are now a combined 2-10 (McGehee and Pulaski Robinson).   It appears that Coach Todd Barnes is a faithful follower of mine and had his team respond to my call as the Ricebirds have yet to score less than 42 points in a game since Week 4, in fact, they've racked up 146 points combined the past three weeks and have pushed themselves to the front of the 2-4A pack alongside Lonoke.  However, where their offense has taken a turn for the good, their defense has taken a turn for the worst.  They gave up 26 points combined in Weeks 1 thru 3, for Weeks 4 thru 6 that total jumped to 59 points and its been a steady decline each week (12, 21 and then 26 last week).  Their opponent this week, Clinton, has shown they can score as they've topped 50 twice already this season and we all know about Lonoke who can drop 40 on a team before they knew what happened.  Ricebirds need a signature win for the season, beating the Jackets will help.

What Am I Buying?

-The Wishbone:  Man, Cortez Lee and his Dollarway Cardinals may have just saved their season by making the switch back to the 'Bone.  They are now imposing their will against teams with a vaunted ground game, helping keep the defense fresh by actually sustaining drives.  That's Dollarway football--look out state.

-Gosnell (5-1):  The Pirates are a point away from unbeaten (losing 35-34 to Trumann in OT) and sitting pretty tied for 2nd in the 3-4A.  Back to back games with Osceola and Newport in Weeks 9 and 10 will prove if these guys are for real.

-West Fork (5-1):  The Tigers were tripped up by 3A Top 10 Greenland in Week 1 but have been getting it done ever since.  It's hasn't been really pretty, but their upset of Clarksville last week proved that Tigers will contend for 4-4A crown.

-Lumberjack resilience:  Every player on Warren's football team has to be thinking who's next as their game with Fordyce approaches.  Losing two starting QBs in two weeks would be devastating to just about any other team, however Warren is piecing together wins and still remains in the thick of things in not only the 8-4A but also the state.

-Clinton (4-2):  The Yellowjackets are tied for 2nd in the 2-4A and if not for a 14-7 loss at Marianna in Week 4, they'd be tied at the top with Lonoke and Stuttgart.  Their other loss came to a 5-0-1 Perryville team, however they can't count their chickens before they hatch. 

Who Am I Selling?

-Bald Knob (2-4):  Man, the Bulldogs had the cover pulled over my eyes the first three weeks of the season.  Since conference play has started they've been punked by DeWitt, Lonoke and Stuttgart by a combined score of 107-52.  Fool me once, shame on me...fool me twice...

-Dumas (2-4):  If the Bobcats don't get their act together, and soon, they run the very real chance of missing out on the play-offs.  At 1-2 in conference play, the next two games against Star City and Fordyce are critical--a loss to both would all but eliminate them from the play-offs.

-1-4A defenses against Shiloh Christian:  I know, the Saints are tough to stop but are they at least trying?  Shiloh averages 55 points every time they step on the field against a conference foe this season and that number will only climb this week against Gentry.  I mean, not even Prairie Grove could slow them down in a 49-8 loss.

-Pulaski Oak Grove (4-2):  From the penthouse to the outhouse--that best describes the transformation the Hornets defense has taken.  After giving up only 7 point in three non-conference games, they've been rung up for 94 points and have dropped to 3rd in the 7-4A.

-McGehee's chances of winning a conference game:  With the 39-19 loss to Lake Village this past Friday night, just about any hope of notching a win in the 8-4A slipped away.  The Owls final four conference games are against Dollarway, Warren, Dumas and Fordyce (a combined 8-4 in conference play).  If they do lose out, they'll drop to 1-20 in conference play since 2006--my how the mighty have fallen.

October 14, 2008, 03:50:25 am #1 Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 03:24:08 pm by FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48
Conference Strength:

**Determining equation-Rank of conference team/s in the Top 10 divided by number of teams from that conference.  Example: #2 Shiloh + #7 Gravette= 9.  9 / 2 (number of teams represented in the Top 10 from the 1-4A) = 4.5.  The lower the number, the higher the rank.**

1. (tie) 7-4A (4.5):  Nashville and DeQueen are easily tops in this conference and their #1 and #8 rankings respectively helped them climb to the top of the conference heap.  Nashville is the most dominant team in class 4A, and as stated before, the argument can be made that they're the best in the state.  They have all but won the 7-4A and can now begin to eye their play-off road.  DeQueen is a good football team and depending on how the ball bounces, could put together a few play-off wins of their own.  Pulaski Oak Grove is still a good team, but they just couldn't hang with the big boys of the conference, getting beat by the Scrappers and Leopards by a combined 70-24.  Malvern and Ashdown are improving, both are 2-4 on the year, 2-1 in conference play but Arkadelphia, Waldron and Mena are just plain bad (combined 2-15-1).

1. (tie) 1-4A (4.5):  Shiloh and Gravette helped the 1-4A make the biggest jump of the conferences from Week 4 til now (jumping from 5th to a tie for 1st).  The #2 Saints and #7 Lions have really brought respectability on a state-wide level to the 1-4A, a conference that many saw as slow and outdated in years past.  Their fast paced, up-tempo style of offense is helping light up score boards and helping pad the records of both schools.  Farmington and Prairie Grove, both at 2-1 in conference play, are the other two teams likely to head to the play-offs from this conference, but after them its still anyone's guess as Huntsville, Gentry and Berryville will battle it out for that 5th seed.  Poor Pea Ridge, for such high hopes the Blackhawks just haven't been able to produce on the field and it shows with their 0-6 record.

3. 8-4A (5.5):  This conference has most certainly grown stronger over the past three weeks as teams have begun to make the needed adjustments in order to better produce on the field.  Obviously, the biggest switch was Dollarway's decision to go back to the Wishbone.  Warren is still operating out of the spread, but now they're in search for their third quarterback in as many weeks.  Both the Cardinals and the Jacks have kept the conference afloat with the #5 and #6 rankings, but they're not the only good teams the 8-4A has to offer.  Fordyce and Star City are still both silent dark horses for the 4A and both are tied with Warren for second place at 2-1.  Dumas is an athletic team, but can't seem to get the fundamentals down--which can be expected from such a young squad.  Lake Village could push for a play-off seed, but it's not likely.  Hamburg and McGehee are just terrible at a combined 3-9.

4. 3-4A (6):  The eyes of all Class 4A fans will be on Newport, AR Friday night when Osceola rolls into town for a battle between the #3 and #9 teams for what will likely be the 3-4A crown.  With a combined record of 10-2, both the Hounds and the 'Noles are sound football teams and are, in my opinion, easily the best two teams in this conference.  Gosnell has put together a solid record at 5-1, but I worry they haven't played anyone yet.  Trumann  sits at 2-1 in conference, but they were hammered 42-14 by Osceola last Friday.  At the very least, you can argue that all of the teams in this conference are competitive as compared to others in Class 4A.  Only Highland is winless while perennial cellar-dweller Jonesboro Westside sits at 4-2.  Still, the 3-4A was tied for the biggest drop in my conference rankings since Week 3 because we're beginning to see that outside of  Osceola and Newport, this conference may not have much to offer.

5.  2-4A (7):    Here's the conference that tied the 3-4A for the biggest drop in conference rankings since Week 3 and a lot of it has to do with the fact that Bald Knob has been exposed as a pretender and Stuttgart's non-conference schedule was the weakest of any unbeaten team.  Lonoke at #4 really helps this conference, but the Jackrabbits have certainly earned that spot.  Stuttgart's #10 ranking is looking much better thanks to the offensive production of late, but I still don't see the Ricebirds as a legit title contender.  Clinton has a good record (4-2), but like Gosnell, I worry they haven't played anyone yet.  Marianna and Heber Springs will battle it out for the 4th play-off spot, but the Panthers hold the tie-breaker over the Trojans.  DeWitt, Bald Knob and Batesville Southside have one conference win combined and a 4-14 over-all record. 

6. 4-4A (10):  This conference is right where they were three weeks ago--dead last.  The improvement of West Fork is promising for the 4-4A, but not enough to lift them in the rankings. The Sandlizards are the lone representative from this conference in the Top 10, and they just slid in there at #10.  West Fork and Booneville both merit mention as Top 20 teams, but in that same breath, the Bearcats non-conference schedule was only slightly better than Stuttgart's which isn't saying much.  Clarksville looked to be on a roll before being upset by the Tigers last week.  Ozark has all the tradition in the world, but it hasn't helped them this season as they'll likely finish 3-7.  Subiaco looked good out of the gate, posting 3 wins, but has since fallen in with the rest of the bottom feeders (Dover and Pottsville) who have one conference win between the three.

I hope you've enjoyed this installment of my break-down of Class 4A.  It really is something special to be able to see such fantastic football across the state every Friday night, and I firmly believe some of the very best in all of Arkansas comes from this classification.  As always, opinions are welcomed and I'll try to answer any questions you may have.  Do enjoy my friends.

--Kyle

**information for this post was gathered from Fearless Friday.com, MaxPreps.com and Arkansas Prep Country.com**

Scrapper07

edghog

Da President

The Big "O"

Great post Kyle, enjoyed reading it. I'm liking your buyin and selling. Hey bro get ready for the Thanksgiving football extravaganza in Warren over Thanksgiving break, please make sure this time you dont walk off the field before the game is over haha!!! If im QB I will get the ball to my playmaker so get those hands ready Kyle.

OldScrap

I think your selling both Gravette & DeQueen short, seems with their record they have earned the right to be higher on the list. Just my humble opinion.

But maybe this will be the shot in the arm that will propel Gravette & DeQueen to play better and come out higher by working hard for it therefore proving their self. I know in the past Nashville has been sold short and that in itself seemed to be the booster shot needed to get them to play better overcoming their foes.

Just my humble opinion. Enjoyed reading this.

beaufort

kleenaire

Quote from: OldScrap on October 14, 2008, 11:00:55 am
  I think your selling both Gravette & DeQueen short, seems with their record they have earned the right to be higher on the list. Just my humble opinion.

But maybe this will be the shot in the arm that will propel Gravette & DeQueen to play better and come out higher by working hard for it therefore proving their self. I know in the past Nashville has been sold short and that in itself seemed to be the booster shot needed to get them to play better overcoming their foes.

Just my humble opinion. Enjoyed reading this.
Good post

speedster

what about the complete state rankings besides hootens for the 4a?

Catgrad79

October 14, 2008, 04:03:48 pm #10 Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 04:11:54 pm by Catgrad79
Very good job, but I don't think 7-AAA and 1-AAA are tied for the lead. 1-AAA is very top heavy.

Plus I would put Gravette in at #10. We will find out Friday night if Dardanelle stays in the #10 spot.

Great post, Great insight.

It was a good read!

A do agree with what was said about Booneville, but our sophomore quarterback despite being inexperienced has looked great. He has made good decisions, thrown the ball well and that is exciting. Booneville will make the playoff this year, but won't contend. But watch out, we are like Arnold  "WE'LL BE BACK!"

October 14, 2008, 04:41:04 pm #11 Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 04:44:37 pm by FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48
Quote from: OldScrap on October 14, 2008, 11:00:55 am<br />  I think your selling both Gravette & DeQueen short, seems with their record they have earned the right to be higher on the list. Just my humble opinion<br />

While I could see the arguement that since both Gravette and DeQueen are one-loss teams, I think when you break down each team, you'll see why they are where they are.  In the Lions case, they're 5-1 however, their 3 non-conference opponents have a combined 8-11 record with Wellington, KS (4-2) being the best team they played--also, the only team that beat them.  Their other two non-conference opponents were Clarksville (3-3) and McDonald County, MO which is just 1-6 on the season and has been outscored 274-52 in their losses.  As for Gravette in conference play, so far they've played the bottom of the barrell, facing 3 of the 4 worst teams in the 1-4A so far.  The potential is there, but I don't see Gravette moving up unless they either beat Shiloh Christian or play a close ball-game with the Saints. 

DeQueen non-conference slate is even worse than Gravette's--with their best opponent being Mayflower who is 5-1 on the season, and ranked in the Top 8 of the 3A.  After that however, the final two teams combine for a 2-10 record (Camden Harmony Grove and Idabel, OK--which is 0-6).  DeQueen has played better conference foes than Gravette so far, and pushed Nashville for a half, but the Scrappers were too much in a 34-14 win.  They did beat a pretty good Pulaski Oak Grove team, but the Hornets the past three weeks haven't matched the output of the Oak Grove team from Weeks 1 thru 3.  I see the Leopards making a push as the season moves along because they'll be playing the bottom feeders of the 7-4A from here on out, but giving up 35 points to Mena this past Friday night still makes me question the defense.

The only team in my Top 6 that I would consider moving either of these teams ahead of would be Warren.  I just can't justify that at this time though because despite the injuries that have hampered the Jacks over the past two weeks it appears that Warren is actually improving.  In the past two weeks, Warren has surrendered just 13 points total, and the defense stepped up with mulitiple 4th down and goal line stops against Dumas this past Friday night.  Warren continues to come up with answers at the QB position as well and with the over-all talent they have in Bradley County I don't see Warren losing again the rest of the regular season.  Fordyce will be a good test, but if Warren can pound the 'Bugs with their suprisingly effective rushing attack and stifle them defensively, the Jacks will move to 8-2 at season's end.  When you break down their non-conference opponents, Watson Chapel has been a bust at 2-3-1, however, besides the loss to Warren--the other two losses came to El Dorado and Pine Bluff, both teams are tied for the conference lead in the 6A South and have a combined record of 10-2.  Monticello is a Top 5 caliber team in the 5A and are currently 4-2 with a solid choke-hold on the 5A Southeast.  Warren's two losses have come to the Pine Bluff teams: Pine Bluff High and Dollarway.  The Lumberjacks were ultra-competitive in both games, throwing a pick 6 in the red zone as they were looking to go ahead against the Zebras in the 2nd quarter that swung momentum away from the Jacks in a 64-40 loss.  Against Dollarway, they dropped a potential game-winning touchdown pass in the endzone as time expired, so Warren could very well be 5-1 at this point as well and unbeaten in the 8-4A.  Their conference wins are legit as well, taking down a 4-2 Star City team 35-13 and an athletic Dumas team that is a few plays away from 4-2: lost 21-19 to Osceola in Week 2 in a game that featured double-digit turnovers combined between the two teams and then lost 28-15 to Dollarway when Grandy recoverd two red-zone fumbles returning both for touchdowns.  If the Bobcats punch those TDs in, it's a completely different season for them.  Warren was able to knock them off 20-0 last week.

I think when you look at it that way, you'll see why those three teams are where they are.  DeQueen has seemingly faced its biggest hurdles of the regular season, while Warren faces one more in Fordyce this week and Gravette faces its biggest of the season in Shiloh next week.  I don't mean to disrepsect any team and I hope that the fans don't think that I have dissed their respective schools, it's just how I see the 4A at this point in the season.  If the Leopards straighten out their defense and win out convincingly, I could see them moving up--of course, it'll be hard to jump an 8-2 Warren team or a Gravette team if they beat Shiloh, if the Lions lose however, DeQueen could easily overtake their spot.

Hope that helped answer some questions.

--Kyle

MA

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on October 14, 2008, 04:41:04 pm
Quote from: OldScrap on October 14, 2008, 11:00:55 am<br />  I think your selling both Gravette & DeQueen short, seems with their record they have earned the right to be higher on the list. Just my humble opinion<br />

While I could see the arguement that since both Gravette and DeQueen are one-loss teams, I think when you break down each team, you'll see why they are where they are.  In the Lions case, they're 5-1 however, their 3 non-conference opponents have a combined 8-11 record with Wellington, KS (4-2) being the best team they played--also, the only team that beat them.  Their other two non-conference opponents were Clarksville (3-3) and McDonald County, MO which is just 1-6 on the season and has been outscored 274-52 in their losses.  As for Gravette in conference play, so far they've played the bottom of the barrell, facing 3 of the 4 worst teams in the 1-4A so far.  The potential is there, but I don't see Gravette moving up unless they either beat Shiloh Christian or play a close ball-game with the Saints. 

DeQueen non-conference slate is even worse than Gravette's--with their best opponent being Mayflower who is 5-1 on the season, and ranked in the Top 8 of the 3A.  After that however, the final two teams combine for a 2-10 record (Camden Harmony Grove and Idabel, OK--which is 0-6).  DeQueen has played better conference foes than Gravette so far, and pushed Nashville for a half, but the Scrappers were too much in a 34-14 win.  They did beat a pretty good Pulaski Oak Grove team, but the Hornets the past three weeks haven't matched the output of the Oak Grove team from Weeks 1 thru 3.  I see the Leopards making a push as the season moves along because they'll be playing the bottom feeders of the 7-4A from here on out, but giving up 35 points to Mena this past Friday night still makes me question the defense.

The only team in my Top 6 that I would consider moving either of these teams ahead of would be Warren.  I just can't justify that at this time though because despite the injuries that have hampered the Jacks over the past two weeks it appears that Warren is actually improving.  In the past two weeks, Warren has surrendered just 13 points total, and the defense stepped up with mulitiple 4th down and goal line stops against Dumas this past Friday night.  Warren continues to come up with answers at the QB position as well and with the over-all talent they have in Bradley County I don't see Warren losing again the rest of the regular season.  Fordyce will be a good test, but if Warren can pound the 'Bugs with their suprisingly effective rushing attack and stifle them defensively, the Jacks will move to 8-2 at season's end.  When you break down their non-conference opponents, Watson Chapel has been a bust at 2-3-1, however, besides the loss to Warren--the other two losses came to El Dorado and Pine Bluff, both teams are tied for the conference lead in the 6A South and have a combined record of 10-2.  Monticello is a Top 5 caliber team in the 5A and are currently 4-2 with a solid choke-hold on the 5A Southeast.  Warren's two losses have come to the Pine Bluff teams: Pine Bluff High and Dollarway.  The Lumberjacks were ultra-competitive in both games, throwing a pick 6 in the red zone as they were looking to go ahead against the Zebras in the 2nd quarter that swung momentum away from the Jacks in a 64-40 loss.  Against Dollarway, they dropped a potential game-winning touchdown pass in the endzone as time expired, so Warren could very well be 5-1 at this point as well and unbeaten in the 8-4A.  Their conference wins are legit as well, taking down a 4-2 Star City team 35-13 and an athletic Dumas team that is a few plays away from 4-2: lost 21-19 to Osceola in Week 2 in a game that featured double-digit turnovers combined between the two teams and then lost 28-15 to Dollarway when Grandy recoverd two red-zone fumbles returning both for touchdowns.  If the Bobcats punch those TDs in, it's a completely different season for them.  Warren was able to knock them off 20-0 last week.

I think when you look at it that way, you'll see why those three teams are where they are.  DeQueen has seemingly faced its biggest hurdles of the regular season, while Warren faces one more in Fordyce this week and Gravette faces its biggest of the season in Shiloh next week.  I don't mean to disrepsect any team and I hope that the fans don't think that I have dissed their respective schools, it's just how I see the 4A at this point in the season.  If the Leopards straighten out their defense and win out convincingly, I could see them moving up--of course, it'll be hard to jump an 8-2 Warren team or a Gravette team if they beat Shiloh, if the Lions lose however, DeQueen could easily overtake their spot.

Hope that helped answer some questions.

--Kyle

Very good, I enjoyed reading.

But I agree with Catgrad, Dardanelle is overrated. I dont think they will beat West Fork or Clarksville this year, and the Booneville game will be close. I think they are looking at best a 2nd place finish, but you made it sound like they were the over-whelming favorite. I could be wrong.

How do you see this Fridays West Fork vs Dardanelle game going?

Well, at this point in the season Dardanelle has shown me the most out of the 4-4A teams, although West Fork has put together an impressive resume as well.  The only real difference so far was who each team lost to: West Fork lost 46-27 to 6-0 3A Top 10 Greenland while Dardanelle lost 36-0 to 6-0 7A Top 10 Russellville.  Obviously, when you look at that, neither loss looks terribly bad, but the fact that the Lizards lost to a team 3 classes above them while the Tigers lost to a team a class below helps Dardanelle, in my opinon. 

Their other non-conference opponents really don't match up at all--Dardanelle comes out on the higher end of that stick.  The 'Lizards played Danville and Atkins in other non-conference games, both teams are 4-2 on the season while West Forks non-conference opponents were Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge who are a combined 3-9.  When you look at them against the 4-4A, I believe West Fork might have the slightest advantage, but it isn't by much at all.  The Tigers lone "key win" came against Clarksville in a 32-22 win.  West Forks other wins came against Dover and Pottsville.  Dardanelle has posted conference wins over an upstart Subiaco Academy team that is 3-3, Pottsville and Ozark--whose lone win of the season came against the same Dover team West Fork beat. 

So in all honesty, you could also argue that West Fork has been overrated too.  I gave Dardanelle the nod because they've shown they have what it takes to win in the 4-4A, where they went 6-1 last season.  I think this will be a big measuring stick for both teams this Friday night as both look like contenders for the 4-4A crown.  I'll admit that the Lizards haven't really played any play-off caliber team from the 4-4A yet, but I haven't been given a reason to believe that Dardanelle won't be able to contend. 

In all honesty, the 4-4A, in my opinion is still a crap-shoot.  Dardanelle, is the front-runner for me, but West Fork, Clarksville and Booneville could all compete for the conference title because they haven't begun to knock each other off yet--except for West Fork gaining a game up on Clarksville.  I didn't mean to put the opinion forth that I thought Dardanelle was head and shoulders above the rest of the conferece, I just said on paper, the Lizards are the best team at this point in the season the 4-4A has to offer, and I think if you'll look at the stats, that is hard to argue.

MA

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on October 14, 2008, 06:55:44 pm
Well, at this point in the season Dardanelle has shown me the most out of the 4-4A teams, although West Fork has put together an impressive resume as well.  The only real difference so far was who each team lost to: West Fork lost 46-27 to 6-0 3A Top 10 Greenland while Dardanelle lost 36-0 to 6-0 7A Top 10 Russellville.  Obviously, when you look at that, neither loss looks terribly bad, but the fact that the Lizards lost to a team 3 classes above them while the Tigers lost to a team a class below helps Dardanelle, in my opinon. 

Their other non-conference opponents really don't match up at all--Dardanelle comes out on the higher end of that stick.  The 'Lizards played Danville and Atkins in other non-conference games, both teams are 4-2 on the season while West Forks non-conference opponents were Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge who are a combined 3-9.  When you look at them against the 4-4A, I believe West Fork might have the slightest advantage, but it isn't by much at all.  The Tigers lone "key win" came against Clarksville in a 32-22 win.  West Forks other wins came against Dover and Pottsville.  Dardanelle has posted conference wins over an upstart Subiaco Academy team that is 3-3, Pottsville and Ozark--whose lone win of the season came against the same Dover team West Fork beat. 

So in all honesty, you could also argue that West Fork has been overrated too.  I gave Dardanelle the nod because they've shown they have what it takes to win in the 4-4A, where they went 6-1 last season.  I think this will be a big measuring stick for both teams this Friday night as both look like contenders for the 4-4A crown.  I'll admit that the Lizards haven't really played any play-off caliber team from the 4-4A yet, but I haven't been given a reason to believe that Dardanelle won't be able to contend. 

In all honesty, the 4-4A, in my opinion is still a crap-shoot.  Dardanelle, is the front-runner for me, but West Fork, Clarksville and Booneville could all compete for the conference title because they haven't begun to knock each other off yet--except for West Fork gaining a game up on Clarksville.  I didn't mean to put the opinion forth that I thought Dardanelle was head and shoulders above the rest of the conferece, I just said on paper, the Lizards are the best team at this point in the season the 4-4A has to offer, and I think if you'll look at the stats, that is hard to argue.

ok thanks. thats the best opinion ive seen so far for either team haha. Anybody who puts 4 paragraphs into the reason they picked a team in what should be a close game like this one, prolly knows quite a bit more than I do. The only thing I would argue (again im probly wrong) would be the loss the Tigers had to Greenland, it was much much closer than the score and the Tigers actually played better if thats believable. They had the lead in the 4th quarter before the starting QB and RB got injured. Greenland had a pick by a lineman for a TD and the opening kickoff for a TD and started on the WF 5, 2 or 3 times. Probly the best stat of the game is the 117 yard touchdown drive by the Tigers lol. (they had 45 yards worth of penalty's on that drive, 150 for the game)

even a close win in that game probably wouldnt look as good as a loss to and undefeated 7A team.

Thanks for your opinion. Should be a good week of football

OldScrap

I wouldn't think anyone would think you mean any disrespect for any team, I surely do not. No doubt you know much more about football than I and put much more effort in making your decision than I. I enjoyed reading it, props to you. I just think the 2 team I mentioned deserve to be higher up at the present moment.

I might mention some hold the close game last week against Gravette, thinking that proves they're weak, perhaps that will be their wake up call and they will realize they will not be able to coast till they play Shiloh.

No doubt, the Gravette & Shiloh game will be the tell all game and should be the game of the week.

jackrabbitgirl

Wow. I enjoyed reading this post. You should write a book on Football. There are many ladies they love the game and could use your insight. Well, I'm a Lonoke Alumni, so of course, I'm going to be loyal to dear ol' Lonoke. We have some tough football games ahead of us. We have Dewitt, Marianna, Stuttgart and Clinton. We are in a tough conference. I am hoping and praying that we make it to the state championships. We lost last year to Gravette. Gravette is a good football team. I really enjoyed the hospitality from the people of Gravette and the stadium. Lonoke has many versatile players on both sides of the ball. We have some dangerous players that will be a threat to opposing teams.

Ty

Warren, Dollarway, CAC.

Three powerhouse programs right there. Forget about Bentonville, Southside, and the Springdale schools.

GLion Alum

Quote from: jackrabbitgirl on October 14, 2008, 07:57:53 pm
Wow. I enjoyed reading this post. You should write a book on Football. There are many ladies they love the game and could use your insight. Well, I'm a Lonoke Alumni, so of course, I'm going to be loyal to dear ol' Lonoke. We have some tough football games ahead of us. We have Dewitt, Marianna, Stuttgart and Clinton. We are in a tough conference. I am hoping and praying that we make it to the state championships. We lost last year to Gravette. Gravette is a good football team. I really enjoyed the hospitality from the people of Gravette and the stadium. Lonoke has many versatile players on both sides of the ball. We have some dangerous players that will be a threat to opposing teams.

Thanks for the kind words about Gravette.  Hopefully both Lonoke and Gravette will advance far enough in the playoffs to meet again.  I know that Gravette fans were impressed by the Lonoke fans' class and spirit last year.

Also, Mr. FF Secretary, great job!  It's obvious you spent a lot of time researching and writing.  I enjoyed reading your post.  Although I don't totally agree with you, I'm not about to argue with someone who does his homework and who doesn't appear to be biased.  Sometimes I check out the boards of the other classes, and, although I am little biased, I think the 4A board, thanks to you, Romeo and others, has more detailed info than the others--not that I don't enjoy most of the smack talk, too.

With Farmington and Shiloh coming up next for Gravette, the Lions have the chance to prove themselves on the field.  I much prefer that Shiloh be ranked higher than Gravette at this point, and I finally think they deserve to be, thanks to their mercy-rule win over Prairie Grove. 

bruuutis

What do you think about the Bk @ Heber Springs game, with both teams needing the win, it being Hebers homecoming, and it just being a great rivavlry...how do you think this one will turn out?

dc24

Quote from: Ty on October 14, 2008, 08:06:44 pm
Warren, Dollarway, CAC.

Three powerhouse programs right there. Forget about Bentonville, Southside, and the Springdale schools.

Still got your panties in a wad?

Good read Flap_Jack.

Coltrane

Quote from: krik6 on October 14, 2008, 07:12:04 pm
Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on October 14, 2008, 06:55:44 pm

ok thanks. thats the best opinion ive seen so far for either team haha. Anybody who puts 4 paragraphs into the reason they picked a team in what should be a close game like this one, prolly knows quite a bit more than I do. The only thing I would argue (again im probly wrong) would be the loss the Tigers had to Greenland, it was much much closer than the score and the Tigers actually played better if thats believable. They had the lead in the 4th quarter before the starting QB and RB got injured. Greenland had a pick by a lineman for a TD and the opening kickoff for a TD and started on the WF 5, 2 or 3 times. Probly the best stat of the game is the 117 yard touchdown drive by the Tigers lol. (they had 45 yards worth of penalty's on that drive, 150 for the game)

even a close win in that game probably wouldnt look as good as a loss to and undefeated 7A team.

Thanks for your opinion. Should be a good week of football
You also have to remember that Dardanelle won the conference last year, won 2 games in the playoffs, and haven't lost to a 4A opponent since Gravette beat them last year in that playoff run.  Kinda goes along with the old addage that "In order to be #1, you have to BEat #1."  West Fork has an opportunity to do that this weekend, but until someone does beat the Sand Lizards, they should still be considered the favorite. 

By the way, great post Kyle!

Ty

Quote from: dc24 on October 14, 2008, 10:22:49 pm
Warren, Dollarway, CAC.

Good read Flap_Jack.
Would you like to check?

dc24

Quote from: Ty on October 14, 2008, 11:08:35 pm
Warren, Dollarway, CAC.

Good read Flap_Jack.
Would you like to check?

I think I'll pass on that.

October 15, 2008, 02:42:55 am #24 Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:47:54 am by FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48
Quote from: jackrabbitgirl on October 14, 2008, 07:57:53 pm<br />Wow. I enjoyed reading this post. You should write a book on Football. There are many ladies they love the game and could use your insight.<br />

I've actually considered that, numerous times--I just can't decide if I want to do a book about my hometown team (Warren), the 8-4A conference as a whole or the entire 4A as a class.  It's a tough call, and one I haven't put as much thought into as I should.  I do appreciate the compliments though and I'm glad you enjoyed the read--it's just me sharing my opinion with ya'll and it makes me feel good knowing ya'll actually take time to read it.

Quote from: bruuutis on October 14, 2008, 09:58:16 pm<br />What do you think about the Bk @ Heber Springs game, with both teams needing the win, it being Hebers homecoming, and it just being a great rivavlry...how do you think this one will turn out?<br />

Well, I really think when you look at both teams--everything, in my opinion is stacked in Heber's favor.  First off, like you mentioned, it's homecoming for the Panthers and although HC festivities can be a blessing or a curse, depending on how the team handles the distractions--I think in most cases, Homecoming really gets the home school amped up to perform for the home crowd.  Also, although both teams are 2-4, Heber Springs's 2-4 record looks a bit better than Bald Knob's 2-4 record.  The Panthers went 1-3 in non-conference action, but one loss came against a good, 5-1 Hoxie team that is in the thick of the 3-3A conference race.  Their other non-conference loss came against Greenbrier (1-5). Their non-conference win over Rose Bud isn't terribly impressive considering the Ramblers are just 1-5 on the season too.  The mark of a good team however is how they can compete in conference play, and Heber has done about as good as anyone could have asked them to at this point.  They were beaten by the top two teams: Lonoke and Stuttgart, but competed in both games--losing 47-21 and 42-21 respectively.  They have picked up a conference win against Marianna (32-30) and that Trojan team handed Clinton it's only conference loss so far this season.

Bald Knob's 2-4 can be a bit deceptive, because 3 of the 4 losses have come to 4A Top 10 teams (Newport 55-26, Lonoke 35-6 and Stuttgart 42-26).  However, their other loss came to DeWitt (30-20) and is also the Dragons only win of 2008.  The Bulldogs two wins came against teams that are a combined 4-8 (3A Bauxite and 3-4A Valley View).  The Miners are having one of their worst seasons in recent memories, so that win over Bauxite is not very impressive at all.  The Blazers haven't won since Week 2 of the season and they've been completely outmatched in conference play so far. 

I wouldn't count Bald Knob completely out of this game, because, like I said, to their credit, they've played some really tough competition so far this season--however, I simply can't look away from that loss to DeWitt.  Heber Springs has picked up a conference win over a middle of the pack team, Marianna, and their losses are almost equal in "presitge points", except for the fact Hoxie isn't as good as Newport.  However, the Panthers have been more competitive with the elite teams in the 2-4A (Lonoke and Stuttgart).  I know Bulldog fans may point out that they scored 26 on Stuttgart, but from what I've heard and read, that was a poorly officiated game and terribly sloppy on the Ricebirds part--who failed numerous times to put the game completely away.  I commend Bald Knob for the effort, but I'll tend to agree with what I've heard.

So, all factors considered, it appears Heber Springs comes out on the right end of this conference clash.  The Panthers are looking to make the play-offs, and a win this week certainly puts them in good shape, since they'll hold a tie-breaker over Marianna.

Quote from: fiend on October 14, 2008, 11:00:22 pm<br />
Quote from: krik6 on October 14, 2008, 07:12:04 pm<br />
Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on October 14, 2008, 06:55:44 pm<br />Well, at this point in the season Dardanelle has shown me the most out of the 4-4A teams, although West Fork has put together an impressive resume as well.  The only real difference so far was who each team lost to: West Fork lost 46-27 to 6-0 3A Top 10 Greenland while Dardanelle lost 36-0 to 6-0 7A Top 10 Russellville.  Obviously, when you look at that, neither loss looks terribly bad, but the fact that the Lizards lost to a team 3 classes above them while the Tigers lost to a team a class below helps Dardanelle, in my opinon.  <br /><br />Their other non-conference opponents really don't match up at all--Dardanelle comes out on the higher end of that stick.  The 'Lizards played Danville and Atkins in other non-conference games, both teams are 4-2 on the season while West Forks non-conference opponents were Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge who are a combined 3-9.  When you look at them against the 4-4A, I believe West Fork might have the slightest advantage, but it isn't by much at all.  The Tigers lone "key win" came against Clarksville in a 32-22 win.  West Forks other wins came against Dover and Pottsville.  Dardanelle has posted conference wins over an upstart Subiaco Academy team that is 3-3, Pottsville and Ozark--whose lone win of the season came against the same Dover team West Fork beat.  <br /><br />So in all honesty, you could also argue that West Fork has been overrated too.  I gave Dardanelle the nod because they've shown they have what it takes to win in the 4-4A, where they went 6-1 last season.  I think this will be a big measuring stick for both teams this Friday night as both look like contenders for the 4-4A crown.  I'll admit that the Lizards haven't really played any play-off caliber team from the 4-4A yet, but I haven't been given a reason to believe that Dardanelle won't be able to contend.  <br /><br />In all honesty, the 4-4A, in my opinion is still a crap-shoot.  Dardanelle, is the front-runner for me, but West Fork, Clarksville and Booneville could all compete for the conference title because they haven't begun to knock each other off yet--except for West Fork gaining a game up on Clarksville.  I didn't mean to put the opinion forth that I thought Dardanelle was head and shoulders above the rest of the conferece, I just said on paper, the Lizards are the best team at this point in the season the 4-4A has to offer, and I think if you'll look at the stats, that is hard to argue.

<br />
<br /><br />ok thanks. thats the best opinion ive seen so far for either team haha. Anybody who puts 4 paragraphs into the reason they picked a team in what should be a close game like this one, prolly knows quite a bit more than I do. The only thing I would argue (again im probly wrong) would be the loss the Tigers had to Greenland, it was much much closer than the score and the Tigers actually played better if thats believable. They had the lead in the 4th quarter before the starting QB and RB got injured. Greenland had a pick by a lineman for a TD and the opening kickoff for a TD and started on the WF 5, 2 or 3 times. Probly the best stat of the game is the 117 yard touchdown drive by the Tigers lol. (they had 45 yards worth of penalty's on that drive, 150 for the game) <br /><br />even a close win in that game probably wouldnt look as good as a loss to and undefeated 7A team.<br /><br />Thanks for your opinion. Should be a good week of football <br />
You also have to remember that Dardanelle won the conference last year, won 2 games in the playoffs, and haven't lost to a 4A opponent since Gravette beat them last year in that playoff run.  Kinda goes along with the old addage that "In order to be #1, you have to BEat #1."  West Fork has an opportunity to do that this weekend, but until someone does beat the Sand Lizards, they should still be considered the favorite.  br />

That's exactally what I was thinking when I mentioned Dardanelle as my favorite in this game, as well as the favorite to win the 4-4A.  They've shown they can do it already and then their play-off performance last year was also impressive.  Can West Fork beat the? Of course they could, because the game on paper is pretty evenly matched--I just think the Lizards have "it". 

As for Ty, I'm going to ignore anything you have to say on this thread.  I'm not getting into a 4A vs 7A arguement because it's an arguement neither of us are going to win until the two classes begin schedule opponents from within each other during non-conference. 

As for the rest of you, glad you're enjoying it!  Thanks for all the kind words.

--Kyle

hedgehog22

You guys are going to find out soon that Dequeen is a top 4 team.  And Mena hanging 35 had something to do with JV's playing and starters injured.  Dequeen will be 12-1 before you know it.  Maybe the ranking will go up then. 

speedster

Will you just drop us hanging 35 on yall... the game is over.  DQ won.  That won't change the score but its in the past  ;D

Quote from: hedgehog22 on October 15, 2008, 09:23:05 am<br />You guys are going to find out soon that Dequeen is a top 4 team.  And Mena hanging 35 had something to do with JV's playing and starters injured.  Dequeen will be 12-1 before you know it.  Maybe the ranking will go up then.  <br />

Again, I hope no one thinks I'm dissing the Leopards because believe me, I think they're a solid football team.  At this point in the season though, I just don't know if they could beat any of the teams above them in my Top 10.  Gravette would be the only suspect team above DeQueen, but again, the Lions are 7th, DeQueen is 8th--so it's almost a mute point.  Now, there are many ways DeQueen can advance in the rankings, such as winning--like you suggested.  Also, there are always the possibility of upsets ahead of them--look at Osceola, , Warren, Shiloh and Gravette for example.  Osceola plays a tough Newport team this week, a loss obviously will drop the 'Noles from the #3 spot--however, Newport would then climb in the rankings, and unfortunately, the 'Hounds would surpass DeQueen if they indeed upset Osceola this weekend.  Gravette and Shiloh face off next weekend in a huge game--a Shiloh win keeps the Saints at #2 while likely dropping Gravette a spot or two, depending on how competitive they keep it.  However, a Shiloh loss might only drop the Saints to say 6th or 7th--so DeQueen may not benefit from a Gravette win as far as standings, because I doubt they'd jump a Saints team--unless Shiloh just gets rocked to sleep by Gravette.  Warren plays a tough game against Fordyce this week and if the 'Bugs do manage the upset, then Warren will fall to 10th or worse, again, moving DeQueen up a spot. 

It's tough at this point in the season, because, i nmy opinion, Nashville is head and shoulders above the rest of the 4A and everyone from say #2-#9 or so are kind of in the pecking order.  They're all good teams, very capable of making a run towards a state title with not much seperation between them.  DeQueen just needs to focus on winning games and forgetting the ranking until the second week in December, because that's the only ranking that really ever matters.  I'm excited to see what DeQueen has put together this season and I do think they're one of the top teams in 4A--the catch is, Shiloh, Osceola, Lonoke, Dollarway, Warren and Gravette are too.  What has hurt DeQueen the worst would be their SOS.  Their non-conference opponents outside of Mayflower were abysmal.  They're making up ground every week though, so keep the faith and honestly, don't read into rankings too much--its all opinion anyways.

Thanks for the comments though, I am glad you took the time to read my post.

--Kyle

kleenaire

Hey its all good. Just glad DeQueen is playing good football & is in the top 10. Go Leopards!!! Thanks for the post about DeQueen

wee willy

Being a DeQueen fan I think you have them right. They are nursing injuries right now and I see them giving up some points in the 2nd half of some upcoming games. The feel from the players and coaches is to get the game under control and then get the guys out that are nursing injuries. Playoffs are 4 weeks away and they want to go in as healhty as possible, hopefully the leopards can get to full strength in the next week or two.

Mulerider

Warren, Dollarway, CAC.

Since when did Bentonville become a powerhouse?  You can't mention Bentonville in the same sentence as Springdale, Northside or Southside.  Betonville was a long time laughing stock in the NW corner and now all of the sudden they are a power house because they finally won one a few years ago?  Give me a break, Bentonville has a decade of dominace to play before they are even remotely close to entering the discussions of powerhouses!

Over the last 15 years, Warren, CAC and PBDW would have destroyed Bentonville in the high majority of  meetings.

GLion Alum

Quote from: Mulerider on October 15, 2008, 10:43:43 pm

Since when did Bentonville become a powerhouse?  You can't mention Bentonville in the same sentence as Springdale, Northside or Southside.  Betonville was a long time laughing stock in the NW corner and now all of the sudden they are a power house because they finally won one a few years ago?  Give me a break, Bentonville has a decade of dominace to play before they are even remotely close to entering the discussions of powerhouses!

Over the last 15 years, Warren, CAC and PBDW would have destroyed Bentonville in the high majority of  meetings.

Bentonville--coached by Barry Lunney, playing in the state's finest high school stadium, being the state's largest or second-largest high school (it's close between them and North Little Rock), undefeated and ranked no. 1 in the state--that fits my definition of a powerhouse program, which I believe is the term used by the poster.  Now, if the term used had been "traditional powerhouse," then we'd get off into how long a period we should be talking about.  Bentonville has grown much more than any other school district in Arkansas during the past 15 years.

Wahls

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on October 14, 2008, 03:50:07 am
8.  DeQueen (5-1):  The Leopards are the only team to push Nashville this season, so for that, I commend them.  However, that stingy defense that gave up a combined 13 points in Weeks 2 and 3, and held Nashville to its lowest point total since Week 8 of last season (27-14 against Ashdown) is fresh off a game in which they let 0-5-1 Mena drop 35.  Granted, the Leopards threw 63 points of their own on the board, but still, you never want to see your defense give up those kind of points to such an inferior opponent.

All of the starters were being subbed out mid second quarter.

OldScrap

Quote from: GLion Alum on October 15, 2008, 11:08:40 pm
Quote from: Mulerider on October 15, 2008, 10:43:43 pm

Bentonville--coached by Barry Lunney, playing in the state's finest high school stadium, being the state's largest or second-largest high school (it's close between them and North Little Rock), undefeated and ranked no. 1 in the state--that fits my definition of a powerhouse program, which I believe is the term used by the poster.  Now, if the term used had been "traditional powerhouse," then we'd get off into how long a period we should be talking about.  Bentonville has grown much more than any other school district in Arkansas during the past 15 years.

I see that MaxPreps has Nashville ranked # 2 right behind Bentonville & they have Gravette at # 50. I don't comprehend the latter.

http://www.maxpreps.com/arkansas/football/rankings.aspx?page=2&ssid=2f36027d-d6f6-4509-aba9-adad5cc85b5e&state=ar&urpath=,list

GLion Alum

October 16, 2008, 12:27:14 am #34 Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 12:31:11 am by GLion Alum
I agree, OldScrap, but I would guess there are two reasons--one was last week's narrow win over Huntsville, the other is that Gravette is still a relative newcomer on the state-wide scene.  Most people don't know, or care, that Gravette returns last year's semifinal team virtually intact.  Right now, most of us in Gravette aren't arguing with anybody about rankings.  The next two weeks the Lions face Farmington, which they barely beat to win the league title last year, and Shiloh.  We figure that, if we win those two games, the rankings will take care of themselves, but, if the rankings still disrespect Gravette, we'll go to war then.  If Gravette loses either of those, then we'll keep quiet and hope to pull off some upsets in the playoffs.

By the way, I was reading this thread and saw my post touting Bentonville.  I can't believe that I, a Gravette fan, actually took up for Bentonville when I spend a lot of my time arguing with Tiger fans about 7A vs. 4A and Tigers vs. Lions.  I need to learn not to post anything this late at night.

October 16, 2008, 02:38:05 pm #35 Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:41:46 pm by FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48
Quote from: wee willy on October 15, 2008, 06:17:31 pm<br />Being a DeQueen fan I think you have them right. They are nursing injuries right now and I see them giving up some points in the 2nd half of some upcoming games. The feel from the players and coaches is to get the game under control and then get the guys out that are nursing injuries. Playoffs are 4 weeks away and they want to go in as healhty as possible, hopefully the leopards can get to full strength in the next week or two.<br />

Thanks, I really appreciate that.  I just rank them like I see them--I try to do as much research as I can before I put them where I do, but in the end, like 95% of any other poll, it's all opinion.  There are times when I'm right, there are times when I'm wrong--it happens to the very best of us.  I'm just glad you tend to agree and I'll say thanks for that again.

As far as Gravette, to be honest, I see the Lions being in the same position the Lumberjacks were back in 2001.  Warren was coming off an 8-4 season in 2000, where they had put together some pretty solid offensive numbers and won some games against some good football teams, but got outed in the play-offs by a very good Ozark team (remember them).  In 2001, all of the Warren fans knew what the Jack could do, but the rest of the state was still hesitant to put them up there as a "legit" contender.  The Jacks had all the tools for success: a legit QB prospect in McKinney, skill players out the whazoo and a young, energetic, gutsy coach as well as a large and passionate fan base.  Well, they started out 2-0 then had a huge match-up with #1 Nashville on the Hill in Week 3.  The Jacks marched over to Howard County and put to worst whipping on the Scrappers they've probably ever received on "The Hill", winning 76-42.  That was the Lumberjacks break-out game, the game that said to the rest of the state, "Hey, we're here and we don't plan on going anywhere for a long time--we're legit, and we can compete with the best."

Gravette is right there this season.  They went 10-3 last season, advancing to the semi-finals before falling to a very good Nashville team.  Everyone around the state knew the Lions could do something special this season, but again, everyone is still hesitant to list them as a true contender--in the same breath as Nashville, Dollarway, Warren..etc.  The tools are cetainly there, experienced QB, numerous returning starters from that 10-win team a rabid fanbase that is feeding off of recent success and facilities that are top-notch.  They've gone 5-1 on the year so far, losing only to a pretty good Wellington, KS team but they really haven't "proven" themselves yet.  They'll have their chance though, just like Warren got their's.  In just over a week they'll play host to the Shiloh Christian Saints in a game that could not only decide the 1-4A champion, but could also serve as Gravette's statement game.  A win, no matter what the margin, be it 1 point or 34 (as in Warren's case) will show the rest of the 4A that "Hey, the Lions are for real.  They've built a solid program up there in NW Arkansas, and it's time for us to take notice."

Before 2001, in all honesty, no one outside of our conference really knew where Warren was--now, Warren is penciled in at the beginning of every season as a team with the potential to win a state championship.  Gravette could be just on the verge of that same status, but it really is going to take some kind of signature win before they get there.  A win over Shiloh in two weeks can help get them there--a state championship will assure it.

--Kyle

Quote from: Catgrad79 on October 14, 2008, 04:03:48 pm
Very good job, but I don't think 7-AAA and 1-AAA are tied for the lead. 1-AAA is very top heavy.

Plus I would put Gravette in at #10. We will find out Friday night if Dardanelle stays in the #10 spot.

Great post, Great insight.

It was a good read!

A do agree with what was said about Booneville, but our sophomore quarterback despite being inexperienced has looked great. He has made good decisions, thrown the ball well and that is exciting. Booneville will make the playoff this year, but won't contend. But watch out, we are like Arnold  "WE'LL BE BACK!"

Well, the conference rankings were really done by a fairly simple formula and the 1-4A and 7-4A wouldn't have been tied had it not of both worked out with them having 9 points a piece.  Nashville at #1 along with DeQueen at #8 added up to 9, Shiloh at #2 and Gravette at #7 added up to 9 as well, divided by 2 teams a piece that each conference had represented and wha-la--you get 4.5 a piece.  The 1-4A is certainly top heavy, but the same can certainly be argued for the 7-4A this season.  In the 1-4A you have Shiloh and Gravette, in the 7-4A you have Nashville, DeQueen and Pulaski Oak Grove--at least in the 1-4A you have Farmington and Prairie Grove, when given the chance could be fairly competitive, possibly.  After the big 3 in the 7-4A, the rest of that conference THIS season is still pretty dang bad.  The only wins the other 5 teams have on the season are all against each other.  So while I agree that the 1-4A is top heavy, the 7-4A certainly is as well this season.

I'm anxious to see Booneville back on the scene as far as title contenders go.  I still say, in my humble opinion, the best football game I have ever watched with my own eyes was the 2001 state title game between Warren and Booneville.  Two of the very best teams in the state that season battling it out in a run vs. pass game that was truly one for the ages.  I'm ready for the Bearcats to "be back", having a solid Booneville team in the race for a state title is good for all of the 4A--with such tradition, it's been hard seeing Booneville "down" here lately.  I want to see that comeback!

As far as Gravette is concerned, I think you know where they stand with me--I think I've talked more about Gravette than any other team in the 4A on this thread so far.  Haha.

Glad you enjoyed the read my friend and thanks for the kind words.

--Kyle

GLion Alum

As the most vocal (or wordy, at least) Gravette fan posting regularly on this board, I am amazed at well you understand the Gravette situation.  I know there are a lot of Gravette players who read the posts on here, although they don't post anything, as well as many Lion fans, and we appreciate all the kind words.

Up here in the northwest corner of the state we know the Lions have arrived at that "put up or shut up" point--beat Farmington tonight and Shiloh next Friday night and the Lions will have arrived.  Lose either of those games and it's back to the "wannabe" role.  We fans think they can do it, but we'll still be there supporting them no matter what happens.

hillbilly

Kyle,
Ozark deserves more respect! We have won a game now! That is all, thank you!

candjmom0307

Warren, Dollarway, CAC.

Good read Flap_Jack.

thanks dc...i needed a laugh...had a bad day

Quote from: GLion Alum on October 17, 2008, 10:18:14 am
As the most vocal (or wordy, at least) Gravette fan posting regularly on this board, I am amazed at well you understand the Gravette situation.  I know there are a lot of Gravette players who read the posts on here, although they don't post anything, as well as many Lion fans, and we appreciate all the kind words.

Up here in the northwest corner of the state we know the Lions have arrived at that "put up or shut up" point--beat Farmington tonight and Shiloh next Friday night and the Lions will have arrived.  Lose either of those games and it's back to the "wannabe" role.  We fans think they can do it, but we'll still be there supporting them no matter what happens.

I think all of us Warren fans can relate with you Lion fans--it's awesome to sit there and watch your team grow in exposure and grow into a program that the entire state respects.  As we've both stated, Gravette is sitting right there on the edge, wins over the next two weeks raises their status as a team the whole 4A should take notice of, while even one loss puts them behind the 8-ball all over again as a "good team, but not a great team".  I wish the Lions, their coaches, players and fans all the luck this season because as a Lumberjack fan, there's nothing more exciting than that break-out season....it's such a wild ride.

I appreciate the kind words GLion, glad you enjoy the post and it's good to have you on the boards.  I'll always cheer on a fellow orange and black ballclub, and the Lions wear those colors loud and proud.  Good to also hear that there are numerous fans and players that read the board, to them I say--best of luck too.

Quote from: hillbilly on October 17, 2008, 12:04:54 pm
Kyle,
Ozark deserves more respect! We have won a game now! That is all, thank you!

They'll eventually work their way back up there hillbilly, I'm afraid it's going to take another season or two though.  I will say this, I can remember when Ozark was a team NO ONE in the 4A wanted to play, they had some very dominant teams back in the late 90's early 00's.  I know Warren felt their wrath back in 2000 in a 50-19 beat down.  Like I mentioned earlier about Booneville, I think having a solid, title contending Ozark team year-in and year-out is good for the 4A as a whole.  When some of the most tradition rich schools are struggling (Ozark, McGehee--Booneville at times), it's tough on all the fans because you WANT to see those teams at the top of their game too.  Best of luck the rest of the season.

--Kyle

hillbilly

Ha, yea I am with you. It always hurts to lose a group of seniors like they had last year.(20 starters or so lost) Combined with the coach leaving right before the season started, but these kids are still playing hard and could play themself into a playoff game, it is going to be fun watching the next few weeks. They definitely aren't as bad as the 1-5 record indicate.

The Truth

Kyle!  Long time no talk buddy!

Pretty good read, but I do have to disagree with you on one part of the post.  So quick to start "selling" Dumas?

Dumas has four losses on the season, which at first glance,  can be discouraging.  But, if you look a little closer you will see that all of these losses come from teams that are ranked in the top 5 or top 10 in all the major polls for class 4A.  They are ranked 3,4,5,6 respectively in your poll.  If you take out the Warren game, the average margin of defeat for these games is 7.5 pts, so basically only losing by a touchdown to the 3,4, & 5 ranked teams.  If you add in the Warren score, then that average goes up to about 12 points.  But the main reason that I think that it's a little early to sell them is because they are about to hit the best part of their schedule.  If I can remember correctly, since 2002, Dumas is 16-8 against the competition remaining on their schedule.  I think that would lead me to believe they are going to fair well against the competition that they have remaining this year.

So the fact that Dumas has only loss to teams ranked in the top 10 this year, coupled with the fact that they are coming into the part of their schedule that they traditionally do well on, leads me to think that would should consider actually "buying" Dumas!

But hey, everyone has their opinion!  :) :) ;) ;)

Well, how'd I do this week guys?  I have a few examples of where I dropped the ball and a few others where I was right on the money.  So let's take a look at the good and the bad.

I was right on the money by:

Selling Pulaski Oak Grove.....
Quote-Pulaski Oak Grove (4-2):  From the penthouse to the outhouse--that best describes the transformation the Hornets defense has taken.  After giving up only 7 point in three non-conference games, they've been rung up for 94 points and have dropped to 3rd in the 7-4A.

Buying West Fork....
Quote-West Fork (5-1):  The Tigers were tripped up by 3A Top 10 Greenland in Week 1 but have been getting it done ever since.  It's hasn't been really pretty, but their upset of Clarksville last week proved that Tigers will contend for 4-4A crown.

Selling 1-4A defenses against Shiloh Christian (I was right in a big way)....
Quote-1-4A defenses against Shiloh Christian:  I know, the Saints are tough to stop but are they at least trying?  Shiloh averages 55 points every time they step on the field against a conference foe this season and that number will only climb this week against Gentry.  I mean, not even Prairie Grove could slow them down in a 49-8 loss.

Buying the Dollarway Wishbone....
Quote-The Wishbone:  Man, Cortez Lee and his Dollarway Cardinals may have just saved their season by making the switch back to the 'Bone.  They are now imposing their will against teams with a vaunted ground game, helping keep the defense fresh by actually sustaining drives.  That's Dollarway football--look out state.

Not counting out the Jacks just yet, despite losing two QBs in two weeks.....
Quote-Lumberjack resilience:  Every player on Warren's football team has to be thinking who's next as their game with Fordyce approaches.  Losing two starting QBs in two weeks would be devastating to just about any other team, however Warren is piecing together wins and still remains in the thick of things in not only the 8-4A but also the state.

Here's where I dropped the ball:

By buying the Clinton Yellowjackets (they did give Stuttgart a good game though)....
Quote-Clinton (4-2):  The Yellowjackets are tied for 2nd in the 2-4A and if not for a 14-7 loss at Marianna in Week 4, they'd be tied at the top with Lonoke and Stuttgart.  Their other loss came to a 5-0-1 Perryville team, however they can't count their chickens before they hatch. 

By selling off Dumas too soon (good call Truth).....
Quote-Dumas (2-4):  If the Bobcats don't get their act together, and soon, they run the very real chance of missing out on the play-offs.  At 1-2 in conference play, the next two games against Star City and Fordyce are critical--a loss to both would all but eliminate them from the play-offs.

And by placing Dardanelle instead of West Fork at #10....
Quote10. (tie)  Dardanelle (5-1):   Well, if the Sandlizards want to win their first outright conference title in 21 years a win against West Fork Friday night can certainly point them in the right direction.  The Price is Right so to speak for Dardanelle as head coach Josh Price in his second season at the helm has collected 15 wins and looks to have his Lizards pointed towards their 6th straight play-off appearance with the stages set for another successful play-off run potentially as well.  There hasn't been anything fancy that Dardanelle has done to win games this season, they don't win flashy, in fact, they've won ugly twice (21-19 against Ozark and 21-18 against Pottsville) but the fact remains, they keep winning.  That lone loss was to a pretty good team too, the 6-0 7A Russellville Cyclone's--so all together, they've put together something special so far.   Beating the Tigers is just another step, the real test comes in Weeks 9 and 10 as they go on the road against Clarksville and Booneville--both teams will be in the thick of the conference race at that point.  Now it seems the real question is can they keep it going?

Ya'll are more than welcome to point out any other high or low notes from my column this week, but I'm pretty sure I nailed most of them.  What a great week of football, can't wait for next Friday!

--Kyle

Made

When does the next stock report come out?

Probably next week, I try to do them on a 2 week rotation.  Plus, it'll allow some of the big conference games to get wrapped up (Shiloh vs Gravette) for starters, and to be honest, that much typing is hard to do week-in and week-out. 

Hope that doesn't upset anyone out there!

--Kyle

Made

Bah not upsetting at all, I just really enjoy them flapjacks.  And perty sure the consensus is that shiloh is to dominate against gravette.  Although in the 8-4a couple of good games scheduled.  Fordyce vs Dumas and Star City vs Lake Village.  Star City has to beat LV to set up a showdown with Fordyce.  The winner of the Fordyce Dumas game almost gaurantees them the 3 spot. But a Dumas loss to Fordyce and a Fordyce loss to Star City could bring a 3 way tie for the 3 spot. Dollarway and warren should run away in their games against Hamburg and Mcgehee.  I think this conference is just getting interesting as the last 3 weeks count down. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Made on October 20, 2008, 01:58:38 pm
Bah not upsetting at all, I just really enjoy them flapjacks.  And perty sure the consensus is that shiloh is to dominate against gravette.  Although in the 8-4a couple of good games scheduled.  Fordyce vs Dumas and Star City vs Lake Village.  Star City has to beat LV to set up a showdown with Fordyce.  The winner of the Fordyce Dumas game almost gaurantees them the 3 spot. But a Dumas loss to Fordyce and a Fordyce loss to Star City could bring a 3 way tie for the 3 spot. Dollarway and warren should run away in their games against Hamburg and Mcgehee.  I think this conference is just getting interesting as the last 3 weeks count down. 
i think dumas has 3rd wrapped up and i like their draw in the playoffs. if they can eliminate turnovers, they could make a run. if not, dequeen will send them home early.

beaufort

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on October 20, 2008, 01:47:31 pm
Probably next week, I try to do them on a 2 week rotation.  Plus, it'll allow some of the big conference games to get wrapped up (Shiloh vs Gravette) for starters, and to be honest, that much typing is hard to do week-in and week-out. 

Hope that doesn't upset anyone out there!

--Kyle

ding ding   ORDER UP!!!

beaufort

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas