• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smackover vs Crossett for scrimmage.

Started by Proud Buckaroo, July 26, 2014, 07:45:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Proud Buckaroo

I know it's early, and it's a scrimmage. I just want to know if the eagles are any good this year? My wife is from crossett and she thinks it's funny that they are playing one another.

LJ06

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 26, 2014, 07:45:30 pm
I know it's early, and it's a scrimmage. I just want to know if the eagles are any good this year? My wife is from crossett and she thinks it's funny that they are playing one another.

Won't be much of a gauge for Smackover. Crossett is down.

Proud Buckaroo

Crossett seems to be down for the past several years. What's going on with that?

AirWarren

phdefense

AirWarren

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: LJ06 on July 26, 2014, 07:50:24 pm

Wrong. This year's team has been hitting it hard all summer, has added coaching help, and are in the second year of a system. They will be much improved.

I love how everyone has a opinion on Crossett and yet no one has actually talked to Coach Nason about the great strides this team has made since December last year. They narrowly missed the playoffs last year and have improved.

LJ06

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 27, 2014, 04:45:35 pm

Wrong. This year's team has been hitting it hard all summer, has added coaching help, and are in the second year of a system. They will be much improved.

I love how everyone has a opinion on Crossett and yet no one has actually talked to Coach Nason about the great strides this team has made since December last year. They narrowly missed the playoffs last year and have improved.

Then I stand corrected. And this is FF Eddie. Everybody has an opinion on everybody whether right or wrong lol c'mon man.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: LJ06 on July 27, 2014, 05:09:56 pm

Then I stand corrected. And this is FF Eddie. Everybody has an opinion on everybody whether right or wrong lol c'mon man.
Sorry, not attacking you personally. Aimed more at Hooten's than anyone. They have zero clue about what is going on in Crossett, Ark.

We have 96 lockers in the fieldhouse in Crossett and 92 of them are occupied from 9th through 12th. Right at 55 varsity players have been busting their tails in the weight room and running in the heat all summer long. We have hired Rob Perry as Coach Nason's DC. Perry was his DC in Lake Providence, LA. Former HC Greg Johnson is now on staff assisting Coach Nason.

cuckoobird

And no coach has ever embelished on strides a team has made....

Proud Buckaroo

65,000 slaps? Wow. Anyways. It's good to know that crossett is improving. But honestly. Do you think they can match up to smackover's speed? Like I said. It's just a scrimmage. Playing scrimmages though with people in a higher classification gives a team good practice.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 27, 2014, 05:51:00 pm

65,000 slaps? Wow. Anyways. It's good to know that crossett is improving. But honestly. Do you think they can match up to smackover's speed? Like I said. It's just a scrimmage. Playing scrimmages though with people in a higher classification gives a team good practice.
First time I have ever seen anyone ask if Crossett could match anyone else's speed. Crossett always has vast amounts of speed. They have size now too.

Proud Buckaroo

Hmmm. What about their pass offense? We have a safety that had 11 picks last season. Also. We have a receiver; who is verbally committed to arkansas, Jordan jones. He runs a 4.3 and is only a junior. 

Eddie Goodson

Like I said, Crossett never lacks speed. They are gearing up the offense this year. Goal is to run a play every 11 seconds.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 27, 2014, 07:03:38 pm
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 27, 2014, 05:51:00 pm

First time I have ever seen anyone ask if Crossett could match anyone else's speed. Crossett always has vast amounts of speed. They have size now too.

Last time they made the playoffs they couldn't match Prairie Grove's speed. 52-0.

Proud Buckaroo

That was the same year that they lost 56-0 to lake village. Which that year was Lake villages only win... Whom has only won 13 games in the past 7 years.

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 27, 2014, 07:18:48 pm
Like I said, Crossett never lacks speed. They are gearing up the offense this year. Goal is to run a play every 11 seconds.

Good. 11 seconds quicker Warren gets the ball :)

LJ06

Quote from: AirWarren on July 27, 2014, 08:13:49 pm

Reminds me of Arkadelphia

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 27, 2014, 08:03:17 pm
That was the same year that they lost 56-0 to lake village. Which that year was Lake villages only win... Whom has only won 13 games in the past 7 years.
You need to flip that. Crossett has not lost to LV in many years.

Proud Buckaroo

My mistake read it wrong. Anyways. Still though. It takes more than two years to re-build a program that hasn't been very good in years. I believe 2003 was your best season?

AirWarren

Quote from: LJ06 on July 27, 2014, 08:42:58 pm

I'll be shocked if ANYONE in the 8-4a has a Oliver and Howell on the team to run that type of fast offense.

hawgfan15

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 27, 2014, 08:50:30 pm
My mistake read it wrong. Anyways. Still though. It takes more than two years to re-build a program that hasn't been very good in years. I believe 2003 was your best season?

We are talking about Crossett competing with/beating Smackover in a scrimmage. Not them winning 4A. The eagles will be an improved football team.

CounterPunch

Quote from: hawgfan15 on July 27, 2014, 10:20:04 pm

We are talking about Crossett competing with/beating Smackover in a scrimmage. Not them winning 4A. The eagles will be an improved football team.
I sure hope so because I have never seen a team as bad as they were last year when we played them.

Proud Buckaroo

Never said that, actually. I was simply stating the fact that Eddie is speaking so highly of them. As if they are going to sweep the 4A. With my wife being from crossett and graduated there. I know their history.

phdefense

And it's not like Smackover is some kind of 3A juggernaut here. Looking at their recent history they always have a down year after a good year so if the patten holds they should be pretty down this year.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 27, 2014, 10:47:17 pm

Never said that, actually. I was simply stating the fact that Eddie is speaking so highly of them. As if they are going to sweep the 4A. With my wife being from crossett and graduated there. I know their history.
I never said any of that. I said they would be improved. They were 3-7 last year and I have every expectation that will improve this year.

LJ06

Quote from: CounterPunch on July 27, 2014, 10:34:02 pm

I sure hope so because I have never seen a team as bad as they were last year when we played them.

I dunno Dumas was equally as bad against us

green-eagle

Crossett will do fine in this scimmage, as for speed don't worry, Smackover does not have the speed of dollarway nor the safety.... Please remember that this is a scimmages and uf does matter, except for linemans....

CounterPunch

Quote from: LJ06 on July 28, 2014, 06:17:45 am

Yea they were terrible too.

LJ06

Quote from: CounterPunch on July 28, 2014, 07:47:01 am

I think we beat Crossett worse score wise, but when it's already 21-0 after 5 offensive plays and then after the 3rd score in 1st quarter after 5 I repeat 5 plays, second string starts coming in, I think I'll give Dumas the runner up to Lake Village lol.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: green-eagle on July 28, 2014, 06:22:14 am
Crossett will do fine in this scimmage, as for speed don't worry, Smackover does not have the speed of dollarway nor the safety.... Please remember that this is a scimmages and uf does matter, except for linemans....
a scrimmage is just that. some teams keep their offense very basic and some try to win the scrimmage. it is what it is.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on July 28, 2014, 09:28:34 am
a scrimmage is just that. some teams keep their offense very basic and some try to win the scrimmage. it is what it is.

Very true.

LJ06

Stuttgart

Jack1990

Quote from: LJ06 on July 28, 2014, 09:41:58 am

Stuttgart
Ouch! LOL

Eddie Goodson

Any coach who properly uses a scrimmage game will tell you a scrimmage is more about grading individual players than it is a scoreboard. How players perform in whatever situation given is 90% of what they are looking for. Winning on the scoreboard is gravy on top.

CounterPunch

Quote from: LJ06 on July 28, 2014, 09:06:39 am

I think we beat Crossett worse score wise, but when it's already 21-0 after 5 offensive plays and then after the 3rd score in 1st quarter after 5 I repeat 5 plays, second string starts coming in, I think I'll give Dumas the runner up to Lake Village lol.
Heck we struggled in the first half to Lake Village. That was an awful night. Good lord!

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 28, 2014, 10:04:44 am
Any coach who properly uses a scrimmage game will tell you a scrimmage is more about grading individual players than it is a scoreboard. How players perform in whatever situation given is 90% of what they are looking for. Winning on the scoreboard is gravy on top.

It's just a gauge. And that is it. Last minute assessment in which positions may need to be switched or technique adjustments.

LJ06

Quote from: CounterPunch on July 28, 2014, 10:14:35 am

Heck we struggled in the first half to Lake Village. That was an awful night. Good lord!

I swear for a while I thought you'd be working a ton of overtime the next week after that

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: phdefense on July 27, 2014, 11:44:24 pm

And it's not like Smackover is some kind of 3A juggernaut here. Looking at their recent history they always have a down year after a good year so if the patten holds they should be pretty down this year.

Lol. You must not have any idea that the team that went 12-2 last year only graduated three seniors. That was all sophmores and juniors, bro. We're not going to be down for another two years.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 28, 2014, 10:04:44 am

That's exactly what I have been getting at. Smackover has always played a week non-conference schedule. I'm glad to finally see Smackover playing harder/better competition.

AirWarren

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 28, 2014, 10:44:47 am

Lol. You must not have any idea that the team that went 12-2 last year only graduated three seniors. That was all sophmores and juniors, bro. We're not going to be down for another two years.

How much depth do you guys have? Legit depth. Not the players playing just to get a letterman jacket.

I am not asking either specifically for this scrimmage. I could give a squat about it. However, I am curious in regards to yalls 3A title quest.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: AirWarren on July 28, 2014, 10:47:21 am
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 28, 2014, 10:44:47 am

How much depth do you guys have? Legit depth. Not the players playing just to get a letterman jacket.

I am not asking either specifically for this scrimmage. I could give a squat about it. However, I am curious in regards to yalls 3A title quest.

We have some pretty good depth this year. Jordan Jones is one of our best receivers. He is pretty much a go to guy when it comes to big pass gains. Elmo is a good receiver. But even better free safety. Dewayne jones, willie maning, Kenadra Purfoy, and a few others can run the ball HARD and knock you over. Even our scrubs are pretty decent. Some a little small. But they work as hard as the starters. With Norphlet bringing their 14 players to our team. Gives us a bigger, and better line. We definitely lacked in depth with that. We struggled last season with that because the back up linemen were kind of small. So our linemen got pretty tired. Norphlet also brought over a 6'5", 185lb reciever. Which will give Jordan some extra resting time. Honestly. Our depth this year is very good! We actually do not have kids just playing for the letterman jacket. These kids play hard and WANT to win it all.

AirWarren

Good deal. That norphlet stuff really will make a difference in 3A. How many kids yall have on the roster?

Proud Buckaroo

We had 30 last year. We added a couple more from moving up a grade. Also added like 7 that didn't play last year. So I'd say roughly almost 50.

AirWarren

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on July 28, 2014, 10:58:22 am
We had 30 last year. We added a couple more from moving up a grade. Also added like 7 that didn't play last year. So I'd say roughly almost 50.

That in itself will present problems to most 3A schools. Wear them out with depth.

Jimbo Morphis

50 is good for 4a much less 3a

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on July 28, 2014, 11:02:08 am
50 is good for 4a much less 3a

Absolutely.

LJ06

Very good numbers

cuckoobird

July 28, 2014, 11:08:45 am #48 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:49:30 pm by cuckoobird
Stuttgart? We took it easy on you in the scrimmage. You actually had more yards in it too besides this thread is about crossett and smackover

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: AirWarren on July 28, 2014, 11:00:31 am

That in itself will present problems to most 3A schools. Wear them out with depth.

Absolutely! That's what makes this seasons Smackover team even better.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas