• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sugartown School Board mulls Ricebird FB Field Upgrades.

Started by Lions84, April 02, 2014, 01:44:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lions84

http://www.stuttgartdailyleader.com/article/20140401/NEWS/140409934/2000/SPORTS

Board worries about the money they are spending to upgrade other buildings at this time.

I hope the Birds get that new field for the Fall.  Who needs AC  I went 12 years of school with no AC except the Library and Office.

SUGARTOWN

If they turn Chastain and Moss loose to gather the necessary funds, they'll do it, I have no doubts about that. Might not be able to get in done in time for next fall, but I think it will get done at some point.

Lions84

Good a Turf field pays for it self over the years because your not Watering it.

SUGARTOWN

Apparently the school board has denied the request for more fundraising, so no go on the turf for now. I have no idea why the school board would shoot down a chance to get turf for little cost. It's my understanding that several private donations had been secured if the project got the green light. Makes no sense to me, but oh well....

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 11, 2014, 01:09:26 pm
Apparently the school board has denied the request for more fundraising, so no go on the turf for now. I have no idea why the school board would shoot down a chance to get turf for little cost. It's my understanding that several private donations had been secured if the project got the green light. Makes no sense to me, but oh well....
i'm not an expert but doesn't the turf have to be replaced every 15 years or so? they may be worried about that. i've heard the arguments about it costs as much to maintain a grass field but that doesn't apply to most farming towns. most have everything they need for maintaining a grass field donated.

SUGARTOWN

I'm no expert on it either, but I think the cost for replacing is significantly lower than initial installation cost.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Oldman on April 11, 2014, 01:13:49 pm
i'm not an expert but doesn't the turf have to be replaced every 15 years or so? they may be worried about that. i've heard the arguments about it costs as much to maintain a grass field but that doesn't apply to most farming towns. most have everything they need for maintaining a grass field donated.
Heck I charge the school double....

SUGARTOWN

Ricebird Schedule:

9/1     Arkadelphia     War Memorial (Labor Day) 6:00 pm
9/12   Warren            Home
9/19   DeWitt            Away
9/26   SS Batesvillle   Home
10/3   Heber Springs  Away
10/10 Newport          Home  (Homecoming)
10/17 Riverview        Away
10/24 Helena/WH      Home
10/31 Lonoke           Home
11/6  CAC               Away

Non-conference games begin at 7:30, conference games at 7:00...and I'm glad the Warren game is at 7:30 so I'll have time to get there as I live and work in Little Rock now.

cuckoobird

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Oldman on April 11, 2014, 01:13:49 pm
Good turf surfaces, when they are done right, have a normal shelf life of 8-10 years, depending on how much usage the field gets.
When you consider the cost of grass seed, water and mowing (throw equipment and gas in there), turf fields pay for themselves in about four years.

Big Fan

Jacketman65

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 16, 2014, 06:08:49 am
With dumas rison and carlisle for preseason jamboree
Why are they playing down this year? I thought that Stuttgart kind of hung their hat on the Bolding boys (Pine Bluff/NLR) jamborees?  Isn't Carlisle 2A?  From what I understand, they lost a ton this past year.

cuckoobird

I dont make the schedule. Two previous years we have played warren in preseason. For obvious reasons thats not happening this year. I would bet that it will be stuttgart vs dumas and rison vs carlisle just played on the same field

Big Fan

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 16, 2014, 09:44:07 am
I dont make the schedule. Two previous years we have played warren in preseason. For obvious reasons thats not happening this year. I would bet that it will be stuttgart vs dumas and rison vs carlisle just played on the same field
Typically in a "jamboree" you play every team there for a period or two.  Why else play it on the same field?

cuckoobird

Quote from: Big Fan on April 16, 2014, 09:49:00 am
Typically in a "jamboree" you play every team there for a period or two.  Why else play it on the same field?
I've played in some where you didn't. Idk about this one though

TIGER101

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 16, 2014, 10:29:07 am
Quote from: Big Fan on April 16, 2014, 09:49:00 am
I've played in some where you didn't. Idk about this one though

Now koobird
When you played they wore leather helmets and didn't wear mouth pcs.

cuckoobird

brdavis

They spent enough on the architect trying to upgrade the entrance to the jr high to turf a fourth of the field.

Jacketman65

You will be fine without turf. Sometimes it's not what you think it is.  Winning 4 games last year probably didn't help.! ;D

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Jacketman65 on April 17, 2014, 08:01:27 am
You will be fine without turf. Sometimes it's not what you think it is.  Winning 4 games last year probably didn't help.! ;D

Yeah, beating lowly teams like Clinton doesn't really get people fired up.

SUGARTOWN

Ah yes, that entryway to the Jr. High is a high priority. Smh

cuckoobird

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 17, 2014, 08:21:49 am
Ah yes, that entryway to the Jr. High is a high priority. Smh
How about those Great new digital media boards that blind you at night while driving by..........

cuckoobird

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 17, 2014, 08:20:34 am

YEP, we stunk it up pretty good last year but we still were better than the jackets........ A 4 win season for them is success

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Big Fan on April 16, 2014, 08:14:16 am
Quote from: SouthpawSensation on April 16, 2014, 06:45:05 am
turf fields pay for themselves in about four years.
I would love to see that math...........
Turf is quite expensive at first and usually paid in one lump sum, but then consider this: (I got this info from a few coaches who made the transition from grass to turf):
• There's the money a school will save because it doesn't have to water grass or plant grass seed where it has been worn out during a school year full of football games (high school, junior high, JVs, 8th-grade and others), soccer and track (all the people walking on the infield during a meet will cause wear and tear). Not to mention the practices. That's thousands of dollars a year right there.
• You also don't have to mow the grass, which saves money on gas (or diesel), equipment and labor. None of that comes cheap any more.
• You don't have to have somebody paint the lines on the field week after week after week because the lines on a turf field stay there a LOT longer. Who knows how many gallons of that paint is used in just one week's time, and that's a pretty penny, too.
Take those numbers over a four-year span, and it's enough to make up for the money a school originally paid for the turf. Now with the new rules, where there can be sponsor logos on the field, you get some company (in Stuttgart's case, it could be Riceland or somebody like that) to pay for a sponsorship, that's an added bonus.

ricepig

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on April 17, 2014, 08:51:38 am
Turf is quite expensive at first and usually paid in one lump sum, but then consider this: (I got this info from a few coaches who made the transition from grass to turf):
• There's the money a school will save because it doesn't have to water grass or plant grass seed where it has been worn out during a school year full of football games (high school, junior high, JVs, 8th-grade and others), soccer and track (all the people walking on the infield during a meet will cause wear and tear). Not to mention the practices. That's thousands of dollars a year right there.
• You also don't have to mow the grass, which saves money on gas (or diesel), equipment and labor. None of that comes cheap any more.
• You don't have to have somebody paint the lines on the field week after week after week because the lines on a turf field stay there a LOT longer. Who knows how many gallons of that paint is used in just one week's time, and that's a pretty penny, too.
Take those numbers over a four-year span, and it's enough to make up for the money a school originally paid for the turf. Now with the new rules, where there can be sponsor logos on the field, you get some company (in Stuttgart's case, it could be Riceland or somebody like that) to pay for a sponsorship, that's an added bonus.

Turf fields cost around $550,000-$650,000 depending on what grade work needs to be done, and the type of field turf you choose. As Southpaw said, it costs around $50,000/yr to water, mow, fertilize, and treat your grass field. Those numbers will be more or less depending on use, donations, and how good you want your field to look. A good quality high school field will need to be re-sod every 5 years, that's over $75,000-$100,000 if you are using some type of prescription turf.

Big Fan

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2014, 09:21:07 am

Turf fields cost around $550,000-$650,000 depending on what grade work needs to be done, and the type of field turf you choose. As Southpaw said, it costs around $50,000/yr to water, mow, fertilize, and treat your grass field. Those numbers will be more or less depending on use, donations, and how good you want your field to look. A good quality high school field will need to be re-sod every 5 years, that's over $75,000-$100,000 if you are using some type of prescription turf.
Using the low number....$550,000/$50000=11 Years I can believe this, but not the previous estimate of 4 years.

Also to consider is the need to purchase equipment to clean the turf to prevent Staph infection.  I'm thinking 15 years would be the magic number of years a turf field needs to last in order to pay for its self. 

Lions84

We got ours 1/2 paid for by a pair of Natural Gas Companies.

ricepig

Quote from: Big Fan on April 17, 2014, 01:45:18 pm

Using the low number....$550,000/$50000=11 Years I can believe this, but not the previous estimate of 4 years.

Also to consider is the need to purchase equipment to clean the turf to prevent Staph infection.  I'm thinking 15 years would be the magic number of years a turf field needs to last in order to pay for its self.

It depends on the usage. At Jonesboro, we had to cancel some 7th/8th grade games over the years to "save" the field for Jr. High and Sr High games. While the money lost didn't amount to much, it doesn't help with building the program. Also, what are you budgeting to re-sod your natural grass field?

I think the cost to replace the turf is a lot less than the original cost as their shouldn't be the need for grade and drainage work. Most schools these days sell ads for the sidelines and usually one major one for the field. I believe we sold $1.2mil worth of advertising on our field here at Jonesboro, we also put a new track down at the same time.

cuckoobird

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2014, 05:07:54 pm

It depends on the usage. At Jonesboro, we had to cancel some 7th/8th grade games over the years to "save" the field for Jr. High and Sr High games. While the money lost didn't amount to much, it doesn't help with building the program. Also, what are you budgeting to re-sod your natural grass field?

I think the cost to replace the turf is a lot less than the original cost as their shouldn't be the need for grade and drainage work. Most schools these days sell ads for the sidelines and usually one major one for the field. I believe we sold $1.2mil worth of advertising on our field here at Jonesboro, we also put a new track down at the same time.
There is no budget for re-sodding. We have Bermuda Grass 

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 17, 2014, 05:52:16 pm
Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2014, 05:07:54 pm

There is no budget for re-sodding. We have Bermuda Grass

Might as well have crab grass. Seriously, you don't have some sort of prescription grass turf? Bermuda? How did it hold up in the rains of 2009, 2010, 2011?

cuckoobird

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 17, 2014, 09:05:03 pm
It did ok

So, the middle wasn't torn up? We actually put down some special turf about 6 years ago, it was like a cushioned carpet, beautiful. The problem was 7th/8th grade, 2 Jr. Highs, JV, and Sr High games in the rain took it's toll over a couple of years.

Jacketman65

How bout Marianna? Guess you will be glad that the both of us will be gone next year!  I know that it is the wrong thread, but I guess that that was a lowly team that the baseball team beat the other day as we;;. :)

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Jacketman65 on April 17, 2014, 10:53:01 pm

How bout Marianna? Guess you will be glad that the both of us will be gone next year!  I know that it is the wrong thread, but I guess that that was a lowly team that the baseball team beat the other day as we;;. :)

Why would we be glad you're gone? Your team is pretty much a guaranteed win every year. :)

Jacketman65

As you will be for most teams once again this year!  Just curious, who did you replace us and that tough Marianna team with? A 2A or 3A school?

cuckoobird

Quote from: Jacketman65 on April 18, 2014, 03:40:25 pm
As you will be for most teams once again this year!  Just curious, who did you replace us and that tough Marianna team with? A 2A or 3A school?
You were replaced with Riverview and they were replaced with HWHC. Dollarway was replaced with CAC. Our non conference schedule is warren dewitt and Arkie. I don't see any 2 or 3a schools on the schedule. I bet Clinton has one or 2 though. Btw even though we stunk it up last year, we still beat you. What does that say?

BrianfromCarlisle

April 18, 2014, 05:08:29 pm #36 Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:59:05 am by BrianfromCarlisle
There's a few 2A and 3A schools that Clinton wouldn't want any part of B.   I'm gonna try to get down to watch Carlisle/Stuttgart baseball game.

Lions84

Harding Academy and Juction city are the only ones I would except to tie it on with the Ricebirds.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Lions84 on April 20, 2014, 01:56:27 pm
Harding Academy and Juction city are the only ones I would except to tie it on with the Ricebirds.
I would definitely throw Charleston (and now Booneville, since it will drop to 3A in the next cycle) in that mix.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Lions84 on April 20, 2014, 01:56:27 pm
there are several in 3a you are leaving out. there is no difference in the top 30 % of 3a and all of 4a. see booneville as one example.

Jacketman65

Stuttgart - large 4A school and yet gets kicked around, yes you beat Clinton, WHO else did you beat. Riverview - just moved up from 3A if not mistaken.  Carlisle - 2A their hay day is over for a while, but will be back.  Marianna, if they have sports is dropping to 3A  and yet kicked your teeth in in your park for their first win in what 3 years....  So move on and admit that you suck like a lot of others and smile and get off of the coat tail of you champ team.  Your linebackers, lineman and back don't hold a candle to your best team in what 10 years!  Go get you some of Harding Academy, Barton or even Junction City.  There are many teams, - even lower classification that will kick your face in at this point.  Would not surprise me if you didn't put Brinkley on the schedule.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Jacketman65 on April 21, 2014, 11:23:06 pm
Stuttgart - large 4A school and yet gets kicked around, yes you beat Clinton, WHO else did you beat. Riverview - just moved up from 3A if not mistaken.  Carlisle - 2A their hay day is over for a while, but will be back.  Marianna, if they have sports is dropping to 3A  and yet kicked your teeth in in your park for their first win in what 3 years....  So move on and admit that you suck like a lot of others and smile and get off of the coat tail of you champ team.  Your linebackers, lineman and back don't hold a candle to your best team in what 10 years!  Go get you some of Harding Academy, Barton or even Junction City.  There are many teams, - even lower classification that will kick your face in at this point.  Would not surprise me if you didn't put Brinkley on the schedule.

They are looking at lean times this year...but Carlisle gave Junction City all they wanted last season in the 2A semifinals...and if they knew what a forward pass was they might have been able to beat them...

cuckoobird

Jimbo Morphis

any rumors around bird land about losing your coach to west memphis? there are in mcgehee about our coach and someone from w.m. just told me he had heard it was elmore. i have no idea.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Oldman on April 22, 2014, 08:35:45 am
any rumors around bird land about losing your coach to west memphis? there are in mcgehee about our coach and someone from w.m. just told me he had heard it was elmore. i have no idea.
I would call elmore and ask but I don't want to wake him. I better wait until noon

Hoghead

You're trying to tell me they can't sell enough rice in Stuttgart to get turf & A/C ? You guys still stuck in 1978 up there in ARKANSAS County ?

cuckoobird

Quote from: Hoghead on April 22, 2014, 11:14:07 am
You're trying to tell me they can't sell enough rice in Stuttgart to get turf & A/C ? You guys still stuck in 1978 up there in ARKANSAS County ?
Times are tough, haven't you heard?

cuckoobird

They love the wing T so looks like Marcus gets it

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 22, 2014, 12:28:59 pm
They love the wing T so looks like Marcus gets it
check your pm

cuckoobird

looks like the Ricebirds could have a move in that will help this fall and will most assuredly help next spring. Nothing is final yet though

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas