• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newport Installing Turf

Started by prisonhound, February 27, 2014, 08:55:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Just one I seen on facebook....

cuckoobird

As whipper promised, Cuckoo to the rescue!!

Inside the Keedy building.

New field surface.

Hoghead

It looks great ! Nice job Newport.

cuckoobird

loyal fan

cuckoobird

April 04, 2014, 08:33:00 am #55 Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:34:50 am by cuckoobird

Jacketman65

Whipper you guys got something there to be proud of.  Looks great!  Maybe the AAA should require all schools to install turf!

whippersnapper

Definitely! I think Coach Harrison did a great job on the design to keep the classic running greyhound that Newport has used for decades. But then add in some modern touch with the numbers and the end zone. I know I was surprised by the poster of the field and the actual logo being different. But it was a good surprise! Raised the hairs on the back of my neck and just got me that much more ready for August to get here.

prisonhound

Field looks great. Very happy with the way it turned out.

cuckoobird

helmethair

cuckoobird

helmethair

LakeRat

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 12, 2014, 04:36:39 pm
Quote from: whippersnapper on March 12, 2014, 12:58:44 pm
No checkered I promise haha. I'll try to describe it some. At the 50 they have the classic orange running greyhound with a black background ovalish shape to it. Then the end zones are all black. Then they have 6 orange diamonds with each one having a letter spelling out Hounds. Both are the same. Then I'm not sure if they are having orange lines for the redzone or not. But someone mentinoned moving the field? Well they are...closer to the away side. They measured and the visitors actually have 4 more feet on their sideline then the home team. So the turf guys told coach of he wanted to save a few thousand dollars even the sidelines up.

If they're adding new home bleachers why couldn't they just move them back about 10 feet then adjust the field to give both teams more room on the sideline?

That's really a poor choice shortening toward the visitors side... kids running full speed and concrete walls are a very dangerous combination. I'm really surprised from a liability perspective they were allowed to cut corners that way.

helmethair

Wow I didnt notice that.  Is that concrete right next to the corner endzone?  If so that is crazy

cuckoobird

Quote from: helmethair on April 11, 2014, 02:52:00 pm
Wow I didnt notice that.  Is that concrete right next to the corner endzone?  If so that is crazy
no that's the visitor bleacher in the pic. note how much closer the sideline is to the opposing home side when they rebuild the bleachers

whippersnapper

Saw the field yesterday and it looks even better in person. I know some talked about why didn't they move the field more towards the home side. Was talking with coach bout that and he said they are in the talks of putting a parking lot and new home side concession stand behind the new home bleachers. Also you move the field to much you start running into all the concrete sidewalks and the Keedy building.

Hoghead

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 10, 2014, 11:52:03 am

So they are going to put in new home stands where the ones are missing ? That was the old visitor side right ?

cuckoobird

I believe it was the old visitor side many moons ago

whippersnapper

The new stands are going on the current home side. The stands in all the pics is the away side.

helmethair

froglips

Congratulations on a great looking field.  Just wish, as an occasional visitor, that you would have reconsidered the WWII-era visitors side stands.  Too close to the field, dangerous concrete walls for the players to contend with and no room for visitor cheerleaders (they cheer in the stands). But I'm sure the home side will be great, and that's all that really matters for Newport fans.

GuvHog

Quote from: froglips on April 30, 2014, 09:43:30 am
Congratulations on a great looking field.  Just wish, as an occasional visitor, that you would have reconsidered the WWII-era visitors side stands.  Too close to the field, dangerous concrete walls for the players to contend with and no room for visitor cheerleaders (they cheer in the stands). But I'm sure the home side will be great, and that's all that really matters for Newport fans.

If they could just cut that enormous concrete walkway at the bottom of those visitors stands in half, it would look better and be safer for the players.

Razorhummer

Drove by the Stadium Saturday and it looks awesome. I'm just wondering are they going to keep the scoreboard that is banged up from the tree or get a new one with maybe a screen along with it like Batesville has?

whippersnapper

They are getting a new scoreboard as well. They were talking bout it for maybe next season but then the tree helped make that decision for them. Beautiful stadium and field.

cuckoobird

via whippersnapper: Pics of the finished home bleachers.

SUGARTOWN

Looks great, I just wish they were replacing the visitor side as well. It will really look bad compared to the home side. One thing at a time I guess. Congrats on the upgrades.

TBone70

Dang it boys, I was gonna brag that Highland got new Sod this summer, but I guess I'll keep my mouth shut after those pictures. Looks great Newport. proud I'm sure. :)

Big Fan

Quote from: TBone70 on July 22, 2014, 10:39:36 pm
Dang it boys, I was gonna brag that Highland got new Sod this summer, but I guess I'll keep my mouth shut after those pictures. Looks great Newport. proud I'm sure. :)
A good natural turf field is great!  Go ahead and brag. 

TBone70

July 23, 2014, 12:07:23 am #80 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:11:20 am by TBone70
Quote from: Big Fan on July 22, 2014, 11:07:58 pm
Quote from: TBone70 on July 22, 2014, 10:39:36 pm
A good natural turf field is great!  Go ahead and brag.
I like the Old School atmosphere myself. Close to players, hear the coaches talking/yelling at the players and even the play calls. Lol. Players having to hurry up and slow down when they run out of bounds if not may run into spectators,  No track, smell of cut grass, Painted lines, mud, but I know turf has its advantages. But we do have aluminium bleachers instead of wood. We are moving up in the world of 4A football.  :)

Hoghead

Nice, very nice digs for the Hounds !

Razorhummer

I would think there orange helmets would look awesome if they went with the Greyhound logo just like on the field. I really don't like the N on the side of the helmets, looks kinda like Nebraska's logo on there helmets.

Hoghead

Quote from: Razorhummer on July 24, 2014, 09:22:56 am
I would think there orange helmets would look awesome if they went with the Greyhound logo just like on the field. I really don't like the N on the side of the helmets, looks kinda like Nebraska's logo on there helmets.

They should go with the Greyhound running through the N logo. I C. Norcom High in Portsmouth Va.uses it with a burgundy & gray color scheme. Black logo on a orange helmet looks good !

Hornetzone

July 24, 2014, 05:39:53 pm #84 Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:42:15 pm by Hornetzone
Newport has been hosting a camp. It's been a nice little camp. Loooovvveee the new Turf and Bleachers! Looks great! Great Update Newport! Good Luck this season.

Hoghead

They should go with the Greyhound running through the N logo. I C. Norcom High in Portsmouth Va.uses it with a burgundy & gray color scheme. Black logo on a orange helmet looks good !

whippersnapper

Shout out to the Head Greyhound himself Don Harrison. He turned the big 33 today.

The_Pioneer

I hope they left room on the home side for the Hounds to back out of things, like rivalries and such.

Big Fan

Quote from: whippersnapper on July 25, 2014, 07:14:42 pm
Shout out to the Head Greyhound himself Don Harrison. He turned the big 33 today.
Joy!  Let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. 

Razorhummer

Quote from: Hoghead on July 24, 2014, 02:12:03 pm

That would be sweet, I agree. ;D

tmycjy

cuckoobird

Yes, look at the latest pics and it shows them

Jacketman65

That goal post kinda of looks like it is in the wrong place.  Whipper, you might want to check with the contractors! ;D ;D

whippersnapper

Well funny thing about the goal posts. Going into the 2012 season they got new ones. Heck they were so big they would be NFL and College regulation. Well there is a new rule in high school football that the bottom post in the ground has to be a certain distance from the back line of the end zone. Now this rule isn't being really hard pressed because not everyone can afford to replace goal posts. So when they installed the turf they went ahead got new ones again at the proper distance. 

Uncle Ivan

Those black seats will feel nice for those early season kickoffs.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas