• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Helena-West Helena Names New Volleyball Coach

Started by westhelena1, July 19, 2016, 08:45:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

westhelena1

For Immediate Release

For More Information contact Athletic Director Russell Smith @ 870-817-2177
HELENA-WEST HELENA- Helena-West Helena Central High School has named Tiffany Gant as its new Head Volleyball Coach.  The recommendation was approved at the School Board meeting last Monday night according to Athletic Director Russell Smith.

Gant will take over the program effective immediately and is looking forward to hitting the court with the players as soon as possible.  She said, "Central has a winning tradition in volleyball with four state titles from 1978-84 and a conference title 15 years ago.  I can't wait to get with the team, get in the gym and immediately begin working to get the program back to its winning ways."

Gant also stressed that athletics is about more than just winning.  She said, "The district's mission statement says we want to have our students be responsible, productive, and caring citizens.  Athletics teaches the values necessary to reach those goals.  I can assure everyone that the athletes on our team will work hard, play hard, study hard, and represent this school well.  I intend for the ladies on the team to have a sense of pride in their effort and a sense of social and civic responsibility, which is why I intend for our program to do some community service projects.  This program is going to have high expectations for everyone involved."

Athletic Director Russell Smith was excited about the addition of Gant to the Athletic Department.  He said, "Coach Gant brings experience to the position.  She played at Jackson State University on an athletic scholarship.  She has coached club volleyball in Texas.  She has a plan for building a quality program by building numbers, putting in a strong strength and conditioning program, and instilling discipline.  I am excited about the future as Coach Gant rebuilds this program over the next few years."

In addition to coaching the volleyball team, Gant is expected to assist with women's track and will teach Social Studies at Central High School.  Gant is a graduate of Desoto High School in Desoto, TX.  After playing four years for the Lady Tigers at Jackson State University, she graduated from the University of North Texas in Denton, TX with a degree in Psychology.  Gant previously worked as a Clinical Instructor at Phillips Community College of the University of Arkansas.  She has one child, Gabriel Gant, who will be in the fourth grade this fall at Eliza Miller Elementary School.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas