• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020-2022 Projected Classifications (1st Draft Completed)

Started by AT, November 05, 2018, 10:12:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

POWERCAT PRIDE

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 05, 2018, 10:24:45 pm
Only thing they play 6a sports in is football, where are you seeing the 6a tourney for, I'm assuming, baseball?

Yes.  Baseball plays a modified "conference" during regular season and are seeded from that to advance to state tourney which is all 6A teams that qualify

AHS06

Quote from: POWERCAT PRIDE on December 05, 2018, 11:25:23 pm
Yes.  Baseball plays a modified "conference" during regular season and are seeded from that to advance to state tourney which is all 6A teams that qualify
It's my understanding that El Dorado and other 6A schools only play 6A for football.  The "other sports" all of 6A is combined with the top half of 5A to create the 5A conference.  The 7A schools then makeup the 6A conference. 

POWERCAT PRIDE

AHS yes that's correct for upcoming year as proposed.  I just looked at AAA website.  Eldo will be 5A in baseball. However last 2 years they played a 5A conference schedule with some 6A teams mixed in like Texarkana and competed in the 6A state tourney. They must be proposing a change this year and just dropping everyone down a class

GotInfo?

My understanding is that in the next cycle, we will see football merge to the same conferences as in the Spring Sports.  So the Classifications that you see on the right in (5A) will be what class they are in for all sports.  From what I hear, coaches are wanting complete alignment for all sports from top to bottom. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: POWERCAT PRIDE on December 06, 2018, 08:46:02 am
AHS yes that's correct for upcoming year as proposed.  I just looked at AAA website.  Eldo will be 5A in baseball. However last 2 years they played a 5A conference schedule with some 6A teams mixed in like Texarkana and competed in the 6A state tourney. They must be proposing a change this year and just dropping everyone down a class

This year 2018-2019, is the first year of the classification change for everything but football

tmycjy

Quote from: GotInfo? on December 06, 2018, 10:25:46 am
My understanding is that in the next cycle, we will see football merge to the same conferences as in the Spring Sports.  So the Classifications that you see on the right in (5A) will be what class they are in for all sports.  From what I hear, coaches are wanting complete alignment for all sports from top to bottom. 

I agree BUT WHY ARE CAHNGEING WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE WE ARE DOING THIS TO BENFEIT THOSE FEW SCHOOL WHO DIDNT WANT TO BE PART OF 7A CLASS SO LET MESS UP ALL OTHER SCHOOL TO BENFITE THIOSE FEW SCHOOLS

HorseFeathers

Quote from: tmycjy on December 07, 2018, 06:40:02 pm
I agree BUT WHY ARE CAHNGEING WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE WE ARE DOING THIS TO BENFEIT THOSE FEW SCHOOL WHO DIDNT WANT TO BE PART OF 7A CLASS SO LET MESS UP ALL OTHER SCHOOL TO BENFITE THIOSE FEW SCHOOLS

Enough schools voted for it to pass it.....

POWERCAT PRIDE

[/quo

rzrbackfan

Quote from: POWERCAT PRIDE on December 07, 2018, 10:43:59 pm
[/quo
7A is supposed to be more that just size, its supposed to be the toughest conf in AR.  as it stand now it isn't even close.  combining 7 and 6 would make it that way. 
7A
North Little Rock 13-0
Bryant 10-2
Conway 11-4
Cabot 6-6
Northside 4-8
Southside 3-9
Catholic 4-6
Central 2-8
Bentonville 10-3
Bentonville West 9-3
Fayetteville 8-5
Har Ber 7-4
Springdale 6-5
Rogers 5-7
Rogers Heritage 1-9
Van Buren   0-10
Adding teams like Pine Bluff 11-2, W Memphis 10-2, Searcy 10-3, Greenwood 13-0, and El Dorado 9-2 would help.  Also just think even if the weaker 6A schools have trouble competing in 7A at least you add some teams that Rogers schools, Van Buren, Central, and Catholic have a chance to beat!

Ball Hawk

beach bum

Quote from: Ball Hawk on December 28, 2018, 12:34:59 pm
When does the AAA list come out?

Usually it seems to come out between August and early October.... Then they do the conferences about a month or two after that. So we should generally know everything in less than 9 months time.

ricepig

It's good to be the King......

friscokid

Quote from: Ball Hawk on December 28, 2018, 12:34:59 pm
When does the AAA list come out?
Last time the reclassification numbers for football came out towards the end of April.

boogercat

So I'm confused, are they going do away with class 7A in 2020 and move everyone down a class?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: boogercat on January 01, 2019, 01:14:26 pm
So I'm confused, are they going do away with class 7A in 2020 and move everyone down a class?

Think that's just speculation....

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: boogercat on January 01, 2019, 01:14:26 pm
The idea is definitely floating around. I've heard from the ADs at two different schools, and if there is a proposal for it in August, they will definitely vote for it.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on January 01, 2019, 04:32:01 pm
The idea is definitely floating around. I've heard from the ADs at two different schools, and if there is a proposal for it in August, they will definitely vote for it.

Will be interesting as to how 8 man would fit into the equation for the smaller schools...by that I mean how it will affect 2a/3a maybe even 4a as schools drop out of 11 man...

boogercat

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 01, 2019, 04:12:17 pm
Think that's just speculation....

It would make more sense if they do this. 7 classes is too much for Arkansas. 5A would be fun again.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 06, 2018, 02:35:33 pm
I've heard that Southpaw but I find it interesting that if you just go by numbers of McClellan + Fair they are 6A
Here's why you can't go on those numbers alone. I found this on the Little Rock School District website ...
The Little Rock School District celebrated a significant milestone with a "Topping Out" ceremony for the new Little Rock Southwest High School. Slated to open in the fall of 2020, the 390,000 SF high school will house larger classrooms, collaboration spaces, a 1200 seat auditorium, and an arena size gymnasium, among many other impressive features at the state-of-the-art facility.  The combined student populations from McClellan and JA Fair, along with approximately 300 Hall High students who will be zoned for the campus, will comprise the 2,250 student body.
It sort of validates what I've thought all along. The new school and Central will be the 7A schools (possibly 6A if what I'm hearing comes to pass), while Parkview and Hall will be 5A schools.

ozarkmtnsman

Probably in the minority. However, I think Arkansas should only have 5 classifications. In most cases, this would reduce travel time with-in conferences. I realize number wise there could be some big differences between the small and large school in each classification.  It most often comes down to a schools athletic program rather than enrollment.
Valley Springs is one the smaller 3A schools, but yet is a contender year in and year out.  Deer and Timbo are two of the smallest schools in 1A and have success. I believe Mt. Ida is in the bottom 1/2 of 2A schools and look what they do in football. I could go on and on.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on January 02, 2019, 08:21:24 pm
Probably in the minority. However, I think Arkansas should only have 5 classifications. In most cases, this would reduce travel time with-in conferences. I realize number wise there could be some big differences between the small and large school in each classification.  It most often comes down to a schools athletic program rather than enrollment.
Valley Springs is one the smaller 3A schools, but yet is a contender year in and year out.  Deer and Timbo are two of the smallest schools in 1A and have success. I believe Mt. Ida is in the bottom 1/2 of 2A schools and look what they do in football. I could go on and on.

Mt Ida is looking at 8 man football next year....and neither deer or timbo have won a game in a state tournament to my knowledge 🤷

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 02, 2019, 08:34:10 pm
Mt Ida is looking at 8 man football next year....and neither deer or timbo have won a game in a state tournament to my knowledge 🤷

You missed my point, the larger schools in each classification are not always destined for greatness.   Mt. Ida being a smaller 2A school has had great success in past years.

AirWarren

January 02, 2019, 09:35:09 pm #72 Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:37:41 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: SouthpawSensation on January 02, 2019, 06:48:11 am
Here's why you can't go on those numbers alone. I found this on the Little Rock School District website ...
The Little Rock School District celebrated a significant milestone with a "Topping Out" ceremony for the new Little Rock Southwest High School. Slated to open in the fall of 2020, the 390,000 SF high school will house larger classrooms, collaboration spaces, a 1200 seat auditorium, and an arena size gymnasium, among many other impressive features at the state-of-the-art facility.  The combined student populations from McClellan and JA Fair, along with approximately 300 Hall High students who will be zoned for the campus, will comprise the 2,250 student body.
It sort of validates what I've thought all along. The new school and Central will be the 7A schools (possibly 6A if what I'm hearing comes to pass), while Parkview and Hall will be 5A schools.

People will always flock to new and improved facilities. I am very interested in see what this school does to Joe T. Robinson, Mills University Studies, and even the Bryant school district. Even some of the enrollments and "lottery applications" for ESTEM, Lisa Academy charter schools.

Kraig Crist

Quote from: AirWarren on January 02, 2019, 09:35:09 pm
People will always flock to new and improved facilities. I am very interested in see what this school does to Joe T. Robinson, Mills University Studies, and even the Bryant school district. Even some of the enrollments and "lottery applications" for ESTEM, Lisa Academy charter schools.

Well, by waiving the Fair Dismissal Act LRSD can fire who they want from Fair and McClellan and move the haves and new "quality" hires to southwest.

If eStem ever gets football...

AirWarren

Quote from: Kraig Crist on January 04, 2019, 12:19:20 am
Well, by waiving the Fair Dismissal Act LRSD can fire who they want from Fair and McClellan and move the haves and new "quality" hires to southwest.

If eStem ever gets football...

Estem just doesn't have the facility capabilities to do football.

we_hate_the_band

Football2mom

January 04, 2019, 05:34:46 pm #76 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:36:34 pm by Football2mom
I see now nevermind

rzrbackfan

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on January 02, 2019, 08:21:24 pm
Although I agree 7A is too much for AR.  I think dropping to 5A will add too many schools.  5A I think has 32 teams in it and 4A has 48 teams.  Adding 6A and 7A would create another league of 32 teams and would go well with the others.

friscokid

Recombine 6A and 7A into a 32-team 6A and then split the playoffs like Texas does in its 6A by enrollment.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: boogercat on January 01, 2019, 04:55:43 pm

It would make more sense if they do this. 7 classes is too much for Arkansas. 5A would be fun again.

Don't know where you have been. 2 years ago the 5A West finished in a 3 way tie for first. Last year the 5A West went into the last week with 4 teams looking for the last 3 playoff slots. The 5 A East went into the last week with 5 teams looking for playoff slots.

beach bum

January 18, 2019, 03:02:23 pm #81 Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:05:11 pm by beach bum
Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on January 18, 2019, 02:40:22 pm

Don't know where you have been. 2 years ago the 5A West finished in a 3 way tie for first. Last year the 5A West went into the last week with 4 teams looking for the last 3 playoff slots. The 5 A East went into the last week with 5 teams looking for playoff slots.

That is because the current 5A in football is the only classification in which stayed after the 2006 restructure up to 7A.... All the rest were jumbled up some, but 5A now was just 4A then in the late 90's and 2000's so that is why its competitive nature never changed as a classification.

The old system was this...

-5A was the current 6A and 7A (when it was the biggest 32 combined in one)

-4A was what is now 5A (32 team structure has never changed)

-3A was the current 4A teams and the largest half of current 3A  (this class had 64 teams most years)

-2A then included the current 2A schools and then the smallest 1/2 of current 3A (this class had between 64-70 

usually)

friscokid

January 18, 2019, 04:43:18 pm #82 Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:45:39 pm by friscokid
Quote from: beach bum on January 18, 2019, 03:02:23 pm

That is because the current 5A in football is the only classification in which stayed after the 2006 restructure up to 7A.... All the rest were jumbled up some, but 5A now was just 4A then in the late 90's and 2000's so that is why its competitive nature never changed as a classification.

The old system was this...

-5A was the current 6A and 7A (when it was the biggest 32 combined in one)

-4A was what is now 5A (32 team structure has never changed)

-3A was the current 4A teams and the largest half of current 3A  (this class had 64 teams most years)

-2A then included the current 2A schools and then the smallest 1/2 of current 3A (this class had between 64-70 

usually)
And before 1998 you could subtract an A and the setup still held going all the way back to the old AAAAA Conference. (Back then you spelled out all the A's. Only when the Dem-Gaz had to waste ink on AAAAAAA and AAAAAA did the Triple-A change it.)

bigchief72455

Quote from: tmycjy on December 03, 2018, 11:37:19 am
Here is my draft for 5-A

East                       Central             South.           West
Green county tech   Maumelle.         HS Lakeside.  Greenbrier
Nettleton                 Jacksonville      Texarkana.     Alma
Paragould                Vilonia              Hot springs    Clarksville
Valley view.             Beebe               Magnoila        Harrison
Brookland.               LR Christian       DeQueen       Farmington
Forrest city              Pulaski Academy Camden        Pea Ridge
Wynne                     White Hall          Hope            Morrilton
Batesville.                Watson Chapel   LR Hall         Huntsville

This is my draft of class 5-A         
That would be a very rough move for Brookland in terms of Football.

friscokid

Reclassification numbers for 2020-2022 should be released officially in the next week. Seems like it's the end of April every time.

Coach Jones

4 years ago it was released in April, 2 years ago released in June

friscokid

I know the file that's on the website now is dated June 2017. I'm pretty sure that is an update of the original release. I should have an older copy on my home computer that was dated in late April.

In fact, the Dem-Gaz referenced the release when it happened: https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/may/03/in-2018-schools-to-shuffle-texarkana-mi/

beach bum

Just throwing out possibilities... could the AAA be reclassifying football as they did the "other sports" and thats why they are taking just slightly longer to iron out the fine details. Not saying they will form them like the current other sports, just that they may alter things slightly?

SouthpawSensation

April 24, 2019, 05:55:31 pm #88 Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:03:00 pm by SouthpawSensation
Quote from: beach bum on April 24, 2019, 05:35:21 pm
Just throwing out possibilities... could the AAA be reclassifying football as they did the "other sports" and thats why they are taking just slightly longer to iron out the fine details. Not saying they will form them like the current other sports, just that they may alter things slightly?
Here's the possible timeline:
Currently, the AAA is going to its annual district meetings in which they talk to superintendents and athletic directors about things they could possibly vote on during the annual meeting. I think the last one of those district meetings is tomorrow (4/25).
Somewhere between now and May 15, those reclassification numbers will be released and the work on the new conference alignments begin.
The AAA Board of Directors will have its summer workshop on June 4-6. That's when the AAA board of directors could approve the new conference alignments and give the "do pass" or "do not pass" recommendations on any new proposals that will be voted on in the meeting with the governing body, which will be held July 29.
Meanwhile, I've been told by a few people that there are about six different classification proposals. One of them is to include football in the other sports conference alignments.

threepeoplematter

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on April 24, 2019, 05:55:31 pm
Here's the possible timeline:
Currently, the AAA is going to its annual district meetings in which they talk to superintendents and athletic directors about things they could possibly vote on during the annual meeting. I think the last one of those district meetings is tomorrow (4/25).
Somewhere between now and May 15, those reclassification numbers will be released and the work on the new conference alignments begin.
The AAA Board of Directors will have its summer workshop on June 4-6. That's when the AAA board of directors could approve the new conference alignments and give the "do pass" or "do not pass" recommendations on any new proposals that will be voted on in the meeting with the governing body, which will be held July 29.
Meanwhile, I've been told by a few people that there are about six different classification proposals. One of them is to include football in the other sports conference alignments.

Only issue i could see with the other sport alignment for football would be the schools that play in 2a football and 1a others.  Not sure how they would figure that.  Like conway christian.

friscokid

Quote from: threepeoplematter on April 24, 2019, 07:12:21 pm
Only issue i could see with the other sport alignment for football would be the schools that play in 2a football and 1a others.  Not sure how they would figure that.  Like conway christian.
At one time (in the 80s and 90s) if you were a Class B school and played football, you were elevated to A in all other sports, but then the AAA did away with that and made it optional. As it is now, I think you just play in whatever class you land in.

AT

GuvHog

Quote from: tmycjy on December 03, 2018, 11:37:19 am
Here is my draft for 5-A

East                       Central             South.           West
Green county tech   Maumelle.         HS Lakeside.  Greenbrier
Nettleton                 Jacksonville      Texarkana.     Alma
Paragould                Vilonia              Hot springs    Clarksville
Valley view.             Beebe               Magnoila        Harrison
Brookland.               LR Christian       DeQueen       Farmington
Forrest city              Pulaski Academy Camden        Pea Ridge
Wynne                     White Hall          Hope            Morrilton
Batesville.                Watson Chapel   LR Hall         Huntsville

This is my draft of class 5-A         

I believe Lakeside and Hall will be in the 5A Central with Watson Chapel and White Hall going back to the 5A South. I'm told that's what Watson Chapel and White Hall will be pushing hard for.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas