• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AAA Reclassification

Started by arkcrash, July 27, 2017, 10:24:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

arkcrash

Anybody know why volleyball is being treated differently than the sports below in the Reclassification vote coming up this Monday?

"At a glance: Proposal No. 9
The proposal, which will be voted on Monday during the Arkansas Activities Association's annual meeting of the governing body in Little Rock, will cause classification changes in every sport but football. Those changes, effective at the start of the 2018-19 school year, are as follows:
Basketball, baseball, softball, golf and track and field"
"Volleyball, soccer and bowling
Class 6A, Class 5A and Class 4A remain the same. Schools in Class 3A and below will be grouped together and compete for the same state championship."

RATTLER43

Because so few small schools (1A and 2A) have volleyball would be my guess.

1-Adam-12

By my count, only 18 1A/2A schools have volleyball.

RATTLER43

Small schools struggle to have enough bodies to support too many sports.  I believe that is why some sports classifications on the smaller end are grouped together.

1-Adam-12 provided good evidence for my reasoning.

GoldenArks

So, is Volleyball keeping the same classifications next year besides 1A and 2A?  Appreciate any info!

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: GoldenArks on September 22, 2017, 11:28:28 pm
So, is Volleyball keeping the same classifications next year besides 1A and 2A?  Appreciate any info!
Here is the breakdown, compared to what you're seeing this year in volleyball.
Next year's 6A will be the same at this year's 7A.
Next year's 5A will be the 16 current 6A schools and the 16 biggest schools from 5A (Granted, not all of them play volleyball).
Next year's 4A will consist of the smaller 16 Class 5A schools this year, plus the next 32 schools in this year's 4A.
Everybody else will play in Class 3A.

sevenof400

And even though there is still plenty left to this season, the teeth-gnashing about this is in full swing.

See this document for a full breakdown: http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Admin/2018-2020_Other_Class-Conferences.pdf

GoldenArks

sevenof400

You are welcome, GoldenArks.  At a quick glance, there will be some considerable competitive disparities in these conferences - but time could change that. 

sevenof400

Check this out:

Greene Co. Tech
Jonesboro
Marion
Nettleton
Paragould

Mountain Home
West Memphis
Searcy

Talk about being thrown to the wolves, the bottom three have no chance here. 

GoldenArks

I know how players can come and go on teams as they graduate, so I do not know who all leaves Valley View this year.  But, with their recent history of always having a good team- next year may be boring for them dropping to the 4A level.  I do not see a team next year that would even be able to challenge them in 4A.  I do not know how many Seniors are active players on their team this year.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: GoldenArks on September 26, 2017, 09:29:57 am
I know how players can come and go on teams as they graduate, so I do not know who all leaves Valley View this year.  But, with their recent history of always having a good team- next year may be boring for them dropping to the 4A level.  I do not see a team next year that would even be able to challenge them in 4A.  I do not know how many Seniors are active players on their team this year.

Batesville will try to make it a little interesting for Valley View this year and next.  Batesville is good enough that on a given night they have the talent to pull off an upset.  The same will be the case next year, IMO.

GoldenArks

I haven't actually seen either Valley View or Batesville this year.  I think I get to see Valley View at the Conway tournament.  Hopefully I will get to see Batesville also!

sevenof400

While this is based on just one opportunity to watch them this season, Batesville did not seem to be as good this year as they were last year IMO.

But again, that was based on just one opportunity to watch them this season.  They will still be plenty dangerous come state tournament time.   

fineline

October 16, 2017, 02:48:00 pm #14 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:51:12 pm by fineline
Valley View beat Batesville in the finals of the Spikefest tournament (25-14, 25-19). However, they are graduating 6 seniors this year who contribute a lot (3 seniors are D1 commits). Next year they will have some new talent. I'm not sure how they would do if they stayed in the 5A class, but in 4A they can dominate. The tentative reclassification is almost like going back to 2014 in the 5A East.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: fineline link=topic=152165.msg3524813#msg3524813 date=150818323rd80
Valley View beat Batesville in the finals of the Spikefest tournament (25-14, 25-19). However, they are graduating 6 seniors this year who contribute a lot (3 seniors are D1 commits). Next year they will have some new talent. I'm not sure how they would do if they stayed in the 5A class, but in 4A they can dominate. The tentative reclassification is almost like going back to 2014 in the 5A East.
Batesville may give them a little trouble next year.  They will return three key seniors and with another senior, a couple of capable juniors and one salty sophomore,  they will be pretty good.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas