• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NLR Guard Kevaughn Allen commits...

Started by NLR4Eva, April 30, 2014, 10:48:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nip/Tusk

It is an accomplishment for anyone to be awarded a full ride scholarship, but sorry, not gonna congratulate one of our own states best players for choosing to go to a direct competitor of the razorbacks.

CathywithaC

Quote from: Josh Louin on April 30, 2014, 10:55:19 pm
It is an accomplishment for anyone to be awarded a full ride scholarship, but sorry, not gonna congratulate one of our own states best players for choosing to go to a direct competitor of the razorbacks.
Can't blame him for choosing Florida over Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: CathywithaC on April 30, 2014, 11:18:44 pm

Sure I can.

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2014, 11:24:25 pm

Sure I can.

And I will.

WMWRECKINGCREW

May 01, 2014, 07:19:05 am #5 Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:42:15 am by WMWRECKINGCREW
20 years since a sweet 16 showing. He was not even born then. I hate it but can't blame him. If we want these players do better.

Nip/Tusk

Hard to do better when you don't have these players.

ricepig

Quote from: Josh Louin on May 01, 2014, 11:55:24 am
Hard to do better when you don't have these players.

Chicken or the egg? Jimmy Whitt is a player of similar talent and ranking, if we wiffed on him, then it's a big loss. King McClure was better than both but chose Baylor, which is puzzling.

Moonshiner

When I was a kid Arkansas played games in Little Rock and Pine Bluff.  Their Red/White games were scattered around the state too.  I know that times have changed, as have NCAA regulations.  I just don't think kids grow up dreaming to be a Razorback player.  Fayetteville seems like a foreign place to them.
I wasn't good enough but still had dreams of representing my state as a player for the Hogs. The idea of an in state kid wanting to compete against the Hogs is foreign to me.

Brucewayne

Big Congrats to this young man.  He was recruited harder by Florida and Kansas compared to Arkansas.  Don't blame the young man, blame the staff at UA for being out recruited and letting in-state talent leave.

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: Brucewayne on May 01, 2014, 01:57:31 pm
Big Congrats to this young man.  He was recruited harder by Florida and Kansas compared to Arkansas.  Don't blame the young man, blame the staff at UA for being out recruited and letting in-state talent leave.

And you know for a fact he was recruited harder by Florida and Kansas? 

BrianfromCarlisle

+1

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: MarionBlueDevil on May 01, 2014, 01:35:45 am

Sure I can.

And I will.
Agreed

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: WMWRECKINGCREW on May 01, 2014, 07:19:05 am
20 years since a sweet 16 showing. He was not even born then. I hate it but can't blame him. If we want these players do better.
only been 18 years.  Hogs have done better each year under MA.  Hopefully Allen will realize how important of a piece he would be in the puzzle and change his mind.  If not, then go find the next piece of the puzzle. 

CathywithaC

Nobody faulted Shekinna Stricklin for going to Tennessee instead of Arkansas.  The Arkansas men are no better than the women were when she made that decision.  It was the best decision for her because it was a program with a winning tradition and a great opportunity for her to play for a national championship.  Same for Allen. He doesn't owe the Hogs a thing.  This isn't the first time they've been outrecruited for the best player in the state.  Remember when James Anderson went to Ok State?  James Dickey outrecruited the Hogs, plain and simple.

ricepig

Mike wouldn't play the game, simple as that.

BrianfromCarlisle

Hogs will be back soon enough.  With or without Allen.

mack

Sure I can.

And, even though I'm a NLR alumni and fan, I do as well.  I can only hope he flips later. 

ricepig

Quote from: mack on May 01, 2014, 03:49:11 pm

Not from what I hear,.but you never know these days.

Sure I can.

And, even though I'm a NLR alumni and fan, I do as well.  I can only hope he flips later.

Nip/Tusk

You're right. Nobody cared when stricklen left for Tennessee.

You're also neglecting the fact that the amount of people in Arkansas that actually care about women's basketball numbers in the dozens.

CathywithaC

Quote from: Josh Louin on May 01, 2014, 06:44:48 pm
You're right. Nobody cared when stricklen left for Tennessee.

You're also neglecting the fact that the amount of people in Arkansas that actually care about women's basketball numbers in the dozens.
true, but I still don't blame Allen for hitching his wagon to a winner

Nip/Tusk

How'd that work out for Archie? Yes, he was drafted, but his college experience was anything but pleasant I'd imagine.

I respect guys like portis who want to make Arkansas special again. He could've gone anywhere too but didnt.

CathywithaC

Quote from: Josh Louin on May 01, 2014, 07:46:19 pm
How'd that work out for Archie? Yes, he was drafted, but his college experience was anything but pleasant I'd imagine.

I respect guys like portis who want to make Arkansas special again. He could've gone anywhere too but didnt.
Allen and Archie=night and day.  Archie's experience won't be Kevaughan experience.

Brian G

He has had his heart set on a going to a big time winning program for quite some time.  Simple fact is we have not won in his lifetime.  It would have took an all-time sales job to flip him.

bleudog

Quote from: CathywithaC on May 01, 2014, 02:58:33 pm
Nobody faulted Shekinna Stricklin for going to Tennessee instead of Arkansas.  The Arkansas men are no better than the women were when she made that decision.  It was the best decision for her because it was a program with a winning tradition and a great opportunity for her to play for a national championship.  Same for Allen. He doesn't owe the Hogs a thing.  This isn't the first time they've been outrecruited for the best player in the state.  Remember when James Anderson went to Ok State?  James Dickey outrecruited the Hogs, plain and simple.

Saw where Dickey is back on staff at OSU.

CLICK HERE

NEark tigers

Great decision by Mr. Allen!!!!!!!!!

Get out of Arkansas while you can, because the Hogs hasn't been good since the great Nolan Richardson left, and it has been crappy ever since.

BrianfromCarlisle

HorseFeathers

Quote from: B.G. on May 01, 2014, 08:50:34 pm
He has had his heart set on a going to a big time winning program for quite some time.  Simple fact is we have not won in his lifetime.  It would have took an all-time sales job to flip him.

I think a lot of the older generation forget that sometimes...

mack

Quote from: CathywithaC on May 01, 2014, 02:58:33 pm

I was not happy when Stricklen chose KY.  Maybe I'm the only one.  I support all the Hog programs.I'm sure glad Sidney, Ron and Marvin did not have the same philosophy that you and others are showing.  Kev can go to Florida.  He may be a star there, he may be average or he may be a role player.  In any event, if he does not become a star, he'll just be another highly rated kid playing out of state.  If he had chosen Arkansas, he'd be a hero, and have greater opportunities in the future either way.

zebradynasty

Yeah it hurts but understandable. A case where our recent history done us in! Wish nothing but the best for the kid. Been around a long time and have seen the quality of Arkansas High school basketball slowly get better. Having Arkansas kids sign to programs like Kentucky, Florida....is good.

Now the pressure is on to sign Monk! I get the feeling it's gonna be a hard sell...

mack

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 02, 2014, 10:38:41 am
Yeah it hurts but understandable. A case where our recent history done us in! Wish nothing but the best for the kid. Been around a long time and have seen the quality of Arkansas High school basketball slowly get better. Having Arkansas kids sign to programs like Kentucky, Florida....is good.

Now the pressure is on to sign Monk! I get the feeling it's gonna be a hard sell...

There is nothing good about it.  You're flat wrong there.

ricepig

Quote from: mack on May 02, 2014, 10:59:57 am

I agree, where are the next triplets? Portis wants to be one, why don't others? I realize the financial impact is different these days, but who thinks going to Arkansas will hurt Bobby financially?

zebradynasty

Yes it's good because despite what we like to think or blindly follow...THE WORLD DOES NOT BEGIN AND END IN FAYETTEVILLE, ARKANSAS! For decades most schools thought Arkansas basketball players as being inferior. Over time that has been proven untrue. Now we don't have 4-5 star recruits by the dozen every year but it's good to improve our image nationally. Our kids are leaving because UA hasn't been doing their part to keep them! No sense punishing the kid for recognizing that and exploring other opportunities. You want to keep them here....stop making stupid hires and having unrealistic expectation most importantly WIN! 

Nip/Tusk

You people are crazy.

You want Arkansas to win so we'll keep the states best talent.
If our own states best talent won't stay here why in the world would other states best players come here?

zebradynasty

Quote from: Josh Louin on May 02, 2014, 11:16:22 am
You people are crazy.

You want Arkansas to win so we'll keep the states best talent.
If our own states best talent won't stay here why in the world would other states best players come here?

I doubt out of state recruits look at like that. I mean Arkansas is only going to produce 1-2 kids capable of playing Major D1 Basketball what like every 2-3 years ??? So I doubt a D1 recruit in Florida is saying I am not going to Arkansas because they couldn't even sign Allen!

Nip/Tusk

You didnt answer my question.

If Arkansas best players won't stay home, why would other states best players leave to come here?

I mean, that's essentially what it would take for us to start winning again, which is what you said would fix the problem.

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 02, 2014, 11:10:56 am

Yes it's good because despite what we like to think or blindly follow...THE WORLD DOES NOT BEGIN AND END IN FAYETTEVILLE, ARKANSAS! For decades most schools thought Arkansas basketball players as being inferior. Over time that has been proven untrue. Now we don't have 4-5 star recruits by the dozen every year but it's good to improve our image nationally. Our kids are leaving because UA hasn't been doing their part to keep them! No sense punishing the kid for recognizing that and exploring other opportunities. You want to keep them here....stop making stupid hires and having unrealistic expectation most importantly WIN!

Mike Anderson is a stupid hire?

mack

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 02, 2014, 11:10:56 am

I NEVER SAID THE WORLD BEGINS AND ENDS IN FAYETTEVILLE ARKANSAS.  [Did you hear me yelling back at you, did I make it clear?]  As far as college athletics, for me it does begin and end there.  I find nothing good about Key going to Florida.  You obviously aren't an Arkansas fan, so it doesn't bug you.  That's fine. 

"Good to improve our image nationally",,, I can't believe the words coming out of your mouth.  Who cares?  Do you have some weird need for people outside the state to acknowledge our HS players are good?  What good does that do our state if the best leave the state?  If he wants to go, that's his decision.  I will wish him the very best in all his Florida games as long as it doesn't impact the UA's success in any form or fashion.  I hope he makes a gazillion dollars in the NBA.  When they play us, I hope he has 10 TO's, 1 for 15 from the field and fouls out.

And MA is a bad hire?  Really?

zebradynasty

Quote from: Josh Louin on May 02, 2014, 11:36:02 am
You didnt answer my question.

If Arkansas best players won't stay home, why would other states best players leave to come here?

I mean, that's essentially what it would take for us to start winning again, which is what you said would fix the problem.

Arkansas basketball and football have the same problem Arkansas does not produce enough talent to consistently run with top flight programs in either sport. What I am saying is Arkansas needs talented players makes no difference the address. If we only rely on Arkansas talent...there will down years. If we want to regain elite status we can't go through the sky is falling everytime a kid signs with another program. Arkansas isn't alone in not producing in-state talent yet a lot of the elite programs in the same boat do fine. It's catch-22 but bottom line if our program rises and falls on 1-2 kids from Arkansas...

How many kids from Arkansas were on the 1994 National Championship Team?

BrianfromCarlisle

4 from Arkansas I believe on title team

zebradynasty

I see it's the first of the month! WOW! Rice and Max not sure why it necessary to take my opinion to the most extreme view. Look not happy we lost Allen but it's done! WHY did we lose him? As was pointed out it's been decades since Arkansas was relevant in basketball. WHY has it been decades? Bad hires, bad administrative support, bad recruiting classes...In the meantime Arkansas high school basketball has gotten better. I guess kids should just stopped and waited for UA to get its crap together ??? Having other top programs recruit players is a plus it keeps (or should keep) the UA from being complacent and down right stupid in handling basketball. Competition always...ALWAYS makes you better. If UA needs to compete for the instate talent so be it! Just like all the other states! They need to step up and get it done If they don't then we should reconsider this elite program thing.

Now all that other crap y'all talking....I never said or suggest half of it. MA had done a great job I think I have posted plenty enough times in support him for either of you to take what I posted and twisted it into a lack of support is laughable. Even though MA been here 3 years he's still fighting the demons of yesteryear. It is totally understandable to me as fan and if I had kid with D1 talent as parent to have serious reservations about sending him to UA to play. I trust MA but will he be there? Will these fans turn my son like they have on players in the past? Can he turn it around. MA will just have to build that trust he's off to decent start losing Allen was setback no doubt but it's not Allen it's UA we need to direct our frustration to. It just going to take time to rebuild the trust.   

zebradynasty

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on May 02, 2014, 12:33:42 pm
4 from Arkansas I believe on title team

Of those only half I would say were instrumental in winning. Point is you got proof...you don't have to have a team full of Arkansas kids to be good!

ricepig

I'm not the one who said stupid hire, if you wanted to say Heath and Pelphrey, you should have written it. Do you think Portis cost himself money coming to Arkansas, did Archie make more by going to KY?

Some are saying FL and Memphis recruited Allen harder, just what does that mean? It has many implications, some good, some bad?

mack

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 02, 2014, 12:41:54 pm
I see it's the first of the month! WOW! Rice and Max not sure why it necessary to take my opinion to the most extreme view. Look not happy we lost Allen but it's done! WHY did we lose him? As was pointed out it's been decades since Arkansas was relevant in basketball. WHY has it been decades? Bad hires, bad administrative support, bad recruiting classes...In the meantime Arkansas high school basketball has gotten better. I guess kids should just stopped and waited for UA to get its crap together ??? Having other top programs recruit players is a plus it keeps (or should keep) the UA from being complacent and down right stupid in handling basketball. Competition always...ALWAYS makes you better. If UA needs to compete for the instate talent so be it! Just like all the other states! They need to step up and get it done If they don't then we should reconsider this elite program thing.

Now all that other crap y'all talking....I never said or suggest half of it. MA had done a great job I think I have posted plenty enough times in support him for either of you to take what I posted and twisted it into a lack of support is laughable. Even though MA been here 3 years he's still fighting the demons of yesteryear. It is totally understandable to me as fan and if I had kid with D1 talent as parent to have serious reservations about sending him to UA to play. I trust MA but will he be there? Will these fans turn my son like they have on players in the past? Can he turn it around. MA will just have to build that trust he's off to decent start losing Allen was setback no doubt but it's not Allen it's UA we need to direct our frustration to. It just going to take time to rebuild the trust.

You should have been more clear on the MA thing.  That would have headed off that part. 

The part about it being good when a great player leaves the state, well, we'll never agree on that.

Now where's that Midol.......

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on May 02, 2014, 12:53:43 pm
I'm not the one who said stupid hire, if you wanted to say Heath and Pelphrey, you should have written it. Do you think Portis cost himself money coming to Arkansas, did Archie make more by going to KY?

Some are saying FL and Memphis recruited Allen harder, just what does that mean? It has many implications, some good, some bad?

Well L I thought that was understood! LOL! Like I said we had many discussion this past season and we BOTH made post in support of MA.

zebradynasty

Quote from: mack on May 02, 2014, 01:36:46 pm

You should have been more clear on the MA thing.  That would have headed off that part. 

The part about it being good when a great player leaves the state, well, we'll never agree on that.

Well I assumed it was understood that I was not talking about MA as you and I have posted many times in support of him!

Mack not like I am going show up at his signing wearing orange and blue! Just trying to make a positive out of something that is clearly a negative!

mack

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 02, 2014, 01:55:50 pm

Well I assumed it was understood that I was not talking about MA as you and I have posted many times in support of him!

Mack not like I am going show up at his signing wearing orange and blue! Just trying to make a positive out of something that is clearly a negative!

I understand.  I just want every kid that is D1 to think like Marvin, Sid and Ron.  I want them to want to come and build the program back to what it once was.

zebradynasty

Quote from: mack on May 02, 2014, 02:21:31 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on May 02, 2014, 01:55:50 pm

I understand.  I just want every kid that is D1 to think like Marvin, Sid and Ron.  I want them to want to come and build the program back to what it once was.

I am in 100% agreement with that but as it is now I can understand why Allen and others choose to go elsewhere understand.... not like!

Brian G

The APR deal has been a problem.  We really were not in position to take risks on players that would not graduate.  6 Hogs graduate this year and we're getting in a better spot to take risks.

The process is slower than I'd like but the dye was cast on some of these kids before Mike got to Fayetteville(and yes the earth starts here).  We were on the brink of major sanctions.  In a way, we took students over athletes (in some cases) to get things right.

I still think it's going to work.   But when you are not a one and done destination it's not so easy to flip that mediocrity switch off.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on May 02, 2014, 04:33:56 pm
The APR deal has been a problem.  We really were not in position to take risks on players that would not graduate.  6 Hogs graduate this year and we're getting in a better spot to take risks.

The process is slower than I'd like but the dye was cast on some of these kids before Mike got to Fayetteville(and yes the earth starts here).  We were on the brink of major sanctions.  In a way, we took students over athletes (in some cases) to get things right.

I still think it's going to work.   But when you are not a one and done destination it's not so easy to flip that mediocrity switch off.

I'd say the fact that all 6 SRs graduated, took care of the APR. We lost, or didn't get, McClure to Baylor and Allen to FL, neither of those are considered one and done schools, are they?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas