• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Springdale / Bentonville - final call

Started by OldTimeCager, January 29, 2014, 10:39:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OldTimeCager

Who saw the Bentonville Springdale game and what is your opinion of the final call?  Were the refs correct in putting 0.8 seconds on the clock?  Did Monk get a three off in 0.8 before the buzzer?

Good call or bad call?

Noting your bias is required.

OPoraquê

January 29, 2014, 11:18:39 am #2 Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:22:01 am by OPoraquê
Quote from: Straydog6 on January 29, 2014, 11:13:17 am
http://www.hoopmixtape.com/malik-monk-insane-buzzerbeater-win-game-posterizes-defender/

Who were the two Springdale defenders on Monk at the end?  Evans and Eckwood?  (EDIT: looks like Evans and Owens...sorry.)

OldTimeCager

Quote from: Straydog6 on January 29, 2014, 11:13:17 am
http://www.hoopmixtape.com/malik-monk-insane-buzzerbeater-win-game-posterizes-defender/

Wow.  That was an incredible shot over two defenders and he did get it off quick.  My bigger question remains though.  Were the refs justified in putting time back on the clock?  Do you have a link to the video of Springdale's last shot and the ensuing play as time ran out?

OldTimeCager

And, I want to know why they were taking it out on the sideline?  The news report said Springdale scored and then stole the inbounds pass to end the game, but that the refs put time back on the clock and gave Bentonville the ball.  I ASSUMED that meant that the refs decided the Bentonville coach called timeout before his player inbounded it and threw it away; which would mean that they would have been taking it out under the goal.  Curious as to how the ball got to the sideline for the final play.

NWAguy

Quote from: OldTimeCager on January 29, 2014, 12:39:37 pm
And, I want to know why they were taking it out on the sideline?  The news report said Springdale scored and then stole the inbounds pass to end the game, but that the refs put time back on the clock and gave Bentonville the ball.  I ASSUMED that meant that the refs decided the Bentonville coach called timeout before his player inbounded it and threw it away; which would mean that they would have been taking it out under the goal.  Curious as to how the ball got to the sideline for the final play.

No ball was stolen on inbound, fumbled and lost out of bounds on the sideline. The officials determined that there was .8 seconds left when the ball hit out of bounds.

Spaulding

I was there and the above description was correct as to how Bentonville got the ball.  I think Monk easily got the ball off in time.  Now, I have no clue about the 0.8 seconds or how that call was made - I don't know if it was good or bad, I don't see how the refs could know either without replay.  Springdale also had a tough 10-second call against them that I questioned.  On the other hand, Monk was able to drive at will and while they called a lot of fouls to get him to the line, they could have called many more.

I'm saying this slightly in jest, but, I don't see how Springdale ever gets many fouls to go their way based simply on the actions of their head coach.  He is quite vocal and emotional to say the least.  I stated earlier that I think Springdale is the better team, especially when Monk has an off night shooting as he did.  Bentonville played a lot of sophomores.

OPoraquê

January 29, 2014, 02:31:35 pm #7 Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:33:06 pm by OPoraquê
Quote from: Spaulding on January 29, 2014, 01:41:27 pm
I was there and the above description was correct as to how Bentonville got the ball.  I think Monk easily got the ball off in time.  Now, I have no clue about the 0.8 seconds or how that call was made - I don't know if it was good or bad, I don't see how the refs could know either without replay.  Springdale also had a tough 10-second call against them that I questioned.  On the other hand, Monk was able to drive at will and while they called a lot of fouls to get him to the line, they could have called many more.

I'm saying this slightly in jest, but, I don't see how Springdale ever gets many fouls to go their way based simply on the actions of their head coach.  He is quite vocal and emotional to say the least.  I stated earlier that I think Springdale is the better team, especially when Monk has an off night shooting as he did.  Bentonville played a lot of sophomores.

Spaulding, there's a flip side to that coin.  Some say BHS' top three players on the boy's bb team this year are sophomores.  (Reminiscent of how the top post season award winners from the AP on the 2013 sc football team were sophomores.)

Again, a LOT can happen, good or bad, with 2 1/2 years to go.  But add that "Bentonville Unified's" last years are concurrent with that time span before the new high school opens, and the 2014-2016 "Story of Bennie" plot just keeps getting more intriguing...

lhog12

WOW!!!! That kid is a player....The Hogs better get him

bdubyab60

Not one thank you from a bentonville fan

OPoraquê

He did it again!  I'll be a monkey's uncle if MM didn't hit a last second shot AGAIN (this one from below his hip) to beat Fay at Bennie!

bdubyab60

MrNiceGuy

Quote from: OPoraquê on January 31, 2014, 09:12:45 pm
He did it again!  I'll be a monkey's uncle if MM didn't hit a last second shot AGAIN (this one from below his hip) to beat Fay at Bennie!

I'm sure he plays team ball normally, but if he would stop taking 25 foot pull up jumpers regularly bentonville wouldn't need game winners from him at the buzzer

That being said, he is a heck of an elevator and has a phenomenal first step.   Don't
care for his shot selection but I'm sure he is more under control with better talent. Also, I'm wondering if he can go left?  Didn't matter
Tonight as no one could stop him from going right.   

Regardless über talented

Te Willis kid from fayetteville can hoop too

bdubyab60

Yes he can go left. Just watch youtube. His shot selection should get better, needs to develope some trust in his teammates would also help.

Spaulding

Quote from: MrNiceGuy on January 31, 2014, 09:52:26 pm

I'm sure he plays team ball normally, but if he would stop taking 25 foot pull up jumpers regularly bentonville wouldn't need game winners from him at the buzzer

That being said, he is a heck of an elevator and has a phenomenal first step.   Don't
care for his shot selection but I'm sure he is more under control with better talent. Also, I'm wondering if he can go left?  Didn't matter

Regardless über talented

Is Willis #5? If so he is good. In my opinion, MM was way too unselfish tonight. He got to the rim whenever he wanted. And yes, his range is really deep- but note- even his 28 footer's are right there when he misses.

B'ville got breaks vs Springdale- got none tonight v Fay. The invisable walking calls were very odd...I think fouls were 8-2 in favor of Fay in 2nd half at one point. Regardless, Malik took the game over in the 4th qtr. he is something else.

Brian G

MrNiceGuy

Monk was too unselfish?  Remind me to never take your posts seriously again

Spaulding

Quote from: MrNiceGuy on January 31, 2014, 11:34:11 pm
Monk was too unselfish?  Remind me to never take your posts seriously again
I'm just expressing an opinion that a few coaches concur with. He shot way less tonight than vs Springdale. In either game, no one could guard him.  Unless Dixon is shooting it, Bentonville has no one to create a shot (I'm thinking Razorbacks). In my opinion, he kept teammates involved during the game then took over the 4th qtr.

I am by no means an expert on bball, but I do know that Malik's emphasis is on getting others involved as much as possible. He's a good kid. Better than I would be at 15 yo and getting the sort of hype he is.

MrNiceGuy

I'm sure he's a great kid.  His first ten shots were pull ups in transition.....no temate touches no ball movement.  Pull up jumpers he could get at anytime.  That's early in the game and hardly unselfish. You're right no one could guard him an yet his shot selection reflected none of it.  Agsin not questioning his character....simply making a bball observation

OPoraquê

February 01, 2014, 02:57:56 pm #19 Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:03:01 pm by OPoraquê

Talking BHS sports at the front counter, the assistant manager at Chick-fil-A in Bennie (where I ate lunch) said both he and Kasey Ford are both customers there and are both good, polite guys.  Hope they both are able to stay humble with all the attention that appears to be headed their way the next two years.

(EDIT: Just picked up in that video...Monk won't turn 16 until 3 days from now (as Ford turned 16 last month).  Means the human highlight reels the two of them have generated to date for BHS in both football and basketball happened before either were legally old enough to drive a car.

This won't happen again in my lifetime.  I don't think it will ever happen again in Bentonville High's existence, either.)

bdubyab60

Who are they going to get to go with Monk next year. Any players on the radar.

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 01, 2014, 04:16:04 pm

Yep, I wish Brady would have offered Marcus a GA position, Malik would have been at JHS.......

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2014, 04:39:29 pm

Yep, I wish Brady would have offered Marcus a GA position, Malik would have been at JHS.......
At least I could have drove and seen him play then. Some of these Bennie acting like he's some home grown player kind if irritating

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 01, 2014, 04:57:53 pm
Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2014, 04:39:29 pm

At least I could have drove and seen him play then. Some of these Bennie acting like he's some home grown player kind if irritating

Nobody from Bennie is homegrown, those that were, moved when the Yankees came.

gojackets14

Quote from: OPoraquê on February 01, 2014, 02:57:56 pm

Talking BHS sports at the front counter, the assistant manager at Chick-fil-A in Bennie (where I ate lunch) said both he and Kasey Ford are both customers there and are both good, polite guys.  Hope they both are able to stay humble with all the attention that appears to be headed their way the next two years.

(EDIT: Just picked up in that video...Monk won't turn 16 until 3 days from now (as Ford turned 16 last month).  Means the human highlight reels the two of them have generated to date for BHS in both football and basketball happened before either were legally old enough to drive a car.

This won't happen again in my lifetime.  I don't think it will ever happen again in Bentonville High's existence, either.)

Anybody else notice Dixon's body language after Monk's shot against Fayetteville?

businesstron

February 01, 2014, 07:18:42 pm #25 Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:34:55 pm by businesstron
Quote from: gojackets14 on February 01, 2014, 05:30:32 pm

Anybody else notice Dixon's body language after Monk's shot against Fayetteville?

I didn't but please elaborate.  I don't think they are using Dixon properly though.  From what I've seen of him he can drive to the basket and finish and he has a decent jump shot even though he's more of a passer.   If they paired him and Monk right they could be as effective as Watkins and Allen were for NLR last year. 

urban legend2

You know what, a friend of mine and I were discussing that very subject after looking at the video...about how a few of the other teammates were looking as if they were frustrated after Malik hit that shot. Naturally, you want your best player to take that shot, but I can see the other players' reasoning if they were upset because Dixon and another guy were literally alone and wide open. I've been watching Malik play since he was an eighth grader on the AAU circuit and his shot selection isn't necessarily the best. But it will get better.

OPoraquê

Better video from ESPN for those who want to study the body language.  Interesting that a Bennie player tweeted after the game "I love my teammates", listing a whole bunch of them (including Monk).  Good to see that...even Michael Jordan (who MM may never ever approach in talent) had a tough time leading his team as a high school sophomore, it's said, the way Monk is now:  http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10387070

bbfan89

Malik is a tremendous basketball player and kid. Sometimes when you have such a gifted player on your team, chemistry and jealousy can become issues. Last year as a ninth grader he was paired in the same backcourt with Jammar Sturdivant who had already Committed to Arkansas State. Sturdivant had just lead EPC to two titles and been named AA MVP and the chemistry was not there early in the year as Malik took a lot of bad shots. In the video you can see Malik has open teammates all over the floor. I am glad he made the shot because that is the difference in being a star and being selfish. As for whichever school gets him later, he won't be there long enough to make a lasting (winning) impression. College will just be a speed bump his way to the league.

gojackets14

Quote from: businesstron on February 01, 2014, 07:18:42 pm

I didn't but please elaborate.  I don't think they are using Dixon properly though.  From what I've seen of him he can drive to the basket and finish and he has a decent jump shot even though he's more of a passer.   If they paired him and Monk right they could be as effective as Watkins and Allen were for NLR last year. 

Dixon appeared to be upset that he didn't get the ball. Dixon was the primary ball handler for the Tigers last year, but doesn't handle it as much and I wonder if that is affecting his play.

BHS has no continuity on offense whatsoever.

ricepig

Quote from: gojackets14 on February 02, 2014, 01:32:51 pm
Quote from: businesstron on February 01, 2014, 07:18:42 pm

Dixon appeared to be upset that he didn't get the ball. Dixon was the primary ball handler for the Tigers last year, but doesn't handle it as much and I wonder if that is affecting his play.

BHS has no continuity on offense whatsoever.

Looks like Malik is a shoe-in for the Hogs based off that last sentence.

ISU7

Regardless über talented

That's why you're not his coach.. ???

Cabotred

I have watched MM play the last two summers in AAU ball. He has tremendous talent and upside. At a sophmore probably the best player in the state.

I wouldn't get to excited about him going to Hogs. If he keeps developing he will be a one and done. Therefore would probably be leaning more towards a team that has a chance at National Championship. Not that MA can't get hogs there in two more years but it is unlikely. Why would he want to play for hogs when he can play anywhere he wants and with a team favored to win NCAA tourny?

ISU7

Quote from: bbfan89 on February 02, 2014, 12:25:51 am
Malik is a tremendous basketball player and kid. Sometimes when you have such a gifted player on your team, chemistry and jealousy can become issues. Last year as a ninth grader he was paired in the same backcourt with Jammar Sturdivant who had already Committed to Arkansas State. Sturdivant had just lead EPC to two titles and been named AA MVP and the chemistry was not there early in the year as Malik took a lot of bad shots. In the video you can see Malik has open teammates all over the floor. I am glad he made the shot because that is the difference in being a star and being selfish. As for whichever school gets him later, he won't be there long enough to make a lasting (winning) impression. College will just be a speed bump his way to the league.
Malik is an awesome player and i know his family well. He will get better as time goes by but i dont think he will be a one and done college player, even thought it's possible, time will tell. Hopefully he will end up back in EPC..... ;D 8)

ISU7

Quote from: Cabotred on February 04, 2014, 01:08:53 pm
I have watched MM play the last two summers in AAU ball. He has tremendous talent and upside. At a sophmore probably the best player in the state.

I wouldn't get to excited about him going to Hogs. If he keeps developing he will be a one and done. Therefore would probably be leaning more towards a team that has a chance at National Championship. Not that MA can't get hogs there in two more years but it is unlikely. Why would he want to play for hogs when he can play anywhere he wants and with a team favored to win NCAA tourny?
+1 and we all know the Hogs road record for the last two years..smh..Go Big Malik....

MrNiceGuy

Quote from: ISU7 on February 04, 2014, 01:01:19 pm

Regardless über talented

Well that's a great addition to the thread.  I'm not his coach because he takes dumb shots

ISU7

Quote from: MrNiceGuy on February 04, 2014, 03:23:20 pm
Quote from: ISU7 on February 04, 2014, 01:01:19 pm

Regardless über talented

Well that's a great addition to the thread.  I'm not his coach because he takes dumb shots
Boy if his dumb shots winning games, I sure hate to see his smart shots, Mr wise guy...lol

OPoraquê

Well, it's down to Springdale and Fayetteville to prevent Bennie from going a perfect 14-0 in district.

(Personally, I think the Tigers will stumble this upcoming week, but hope I'm wrong.)

Winning handily at SS tonight, Bentonville got at least a share of the district crown.  The coach said he believe this is the first time ever the Bentonville boy's have won at least a share of district - didn't hear, but I guess he meant since they joined the ranks of Arkansas' biggest high schools.

DerekOxford

Quote from: OPoraquê on February 21, 2014, 11:20:40 pm
Well, it's down to Springdale and Fayetteville to prevent Bennie from going a perfect 14-0 in district.

(Personally, I think the Tigers will stumble this upcoming week, but hope I'm wrong.)

Winning handily at SS tonight, Bentonville got at least a share of the district crown.  The coach said he believe this is the first time ever the Bentonville boy's have won at least a share of district - didn't hear, but I guess he meant since they joined the ranks of Arkansas' biggest high schools.

If Monk hits two buzzer-beaters this week...

Lionfan 18

Monk is way too good, Fayetteville and Springdale will have a tough time preventing the undefeated conference record.

businesstron

I don't think Fayetteville will have much of a chance to beat them even though they'll get Bennie at home.  I saw them play Springdale friday and if you just play them man to man and make them work for their shots they won't score much.   They can shoot the ball though...but that's it.

Springdale will make it a war.  I saw them dominate Harber and Fayetteville last week.   They were shouting 'We want Bentonville' or something like that at the end of the game last week so they look improved and ready. 

So it's gon be fun. 

Ty

Quote from: Lionfan 18 on February 24, 2014, 12:17:27 pm
Monk is way too good, Fayetteville and Springdale will have a tough time preventing the undefeated conference record.

What's that?

OPoraquê

Quote from: OPoraquê on February 21, 2014, 11:20:40 pm

Told you.  :(

Side note:  that Neosho Classic tournament Bennie played in back in December (so glad the weather was good then) turned out to be a dandy at least in BHS competition.  Yesterday, Sagemont, FL finished a perfect, undefeated season beating Tampa Prep handily for the Florida (3A, I think) championship.  If Bentonville had a stronger inside game (what team doesn't wish for that) they might have been their blemish, as Monk and Dixon were on fire against SHS in the first half.  And Fort Bend Bush is in the Texas 5A sweet sixteen tomorrow with a 29-4 record.  It'll be a bit tougher for them to win a championship but they still may have 30 wins.  Not shabby.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas