• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

coaches who use profanity towards their players

Started by GBHog, December 06, 2009, 01:56:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GBHog

I know it goes on in college sports, but does it have any place in high school sports.  Does it matter if they are a boys football coach or a girls basketball coach?  If a coach uses profanity daily at their kids, should this guy be allowed to be around the kids?  Should a coach be allowed to close all practices so no one but the kids can hear what he is saying to them?  I played football throughout my school days and I never heard a coach say a profanity, has something changed in the last 20 years to allow coaches to use profanities?  Thoughts?

fanoffootball

Thoughts: Find a coach who does not curse, then get back to me.

DB

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: GBHog on December 06, 2009, 01:56:52 pm
I know it goes on in college sports, but does it have any place in high school sports.  Does it matter if they are a boys football coach or a girls basketball coach?  If a coach uses profanity daily at their kids, should this guy be allowed to be around the kids?  Should a coach be allowed to close all practices so no one but the kids can hear what he is saying to them?  I played football throughout my school days and I never heard a coach say a profanity, has something changed in the last 20 years to allow coaches to use profanities?  Thoughts?
What happened? Did a coach curse at your kid or in front of him? Did it hurt little Johnnies feelings. Good grief, go to Wal-Mart and buy some diapers..............................

fanoffootball

Quote from: DB on December 06, 2009, 02:09:18 pm
Quote from: fanoffootball on December 06, 2009, 01:57:34 pm

Tony Dungy

He has absolutely NEVER used profanity, ever? Not even when mad and "slipping" one?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Tony Dungy
You have no clue as to whether or not Dungy ever used profanity. In closed doors with players I bet he has dropped a bomb or two................

Eddie Goodson

Being as Jesus Christ has never coached football, I doubt anyone can say definitively about any coach. That said, There are things much worse to gripe about. If you have a problem with how your coach acts, take it to the school board where it belongs.

Eddie Goodson

Bypass that censor again and you won't post for awhile. Here you are bellyaching about a coach and you are doing the very thing you are griping about. I suggest you shut up and move on.

4SnJ

Bear09

You have a point but don't get too carried away. I had a problem with the coach cursing at me and I respectfully asked him to stop away from everyone else. He can holler at me all he wants thats part of it, it is an emotional game but after that he very seldom used a profanity around me. That being said Some coaches do not care but how can coaches do it then expect kids not to do it in the classroom. It is a double standard and that is just the world in which we live. but no coaches should not use profanity towards their players.

colts52

a coach expects a kid not to use it in a classroom because its a rule. its not a rule that the coach cant curse. if a player curses in a class its most likey not because the coach did it

oldplayer

I was a player at all levels of the game spanning better than 24 years. Above High School you are a hired hand. In many cases you have made the choice as to who you play for, so you take what you get or you can leave. That being said, we are talking about High School kids here so my opinion is this. There is a difference in cussing a player directly by calling the young man the names in order to demean him there is no place for that. Now, I personally feel that a coach who curses in general or to sound more rough or to ad a little more punch to make a point, that's no big deal. These young men hear worse and in many cases say worse daily themselves. If they are brought up to know the difference and deal with it "the way they will need to as adults", we should just chalk it up to one more of the valuable lessons the great sport of football teaches us. We cannot control what others do or say, we can only control the way we respond.

Tony Dungy was mentioned above, here is a quote of his from his book.

"Respond to adversity do not react"

God Bless and Merry Christmas!

Adjudicator

I've been officiating football and basketball now for 22 yrs and the list of those that do cuss is a lot bigger than the list of those that don't.  And some of the names on my list my shock some because of their perceived "great human being" status.

colts52

Quote from: oldplayer on December 06, 2009, 06:48:23 pm
I was a player at all levels of the game spanning better than 24 years. Above High School you are a hired hand. In many cases you have made the choice as to who you play for, so you take what you get or you can leave. That being said, we are talking about High School kids here so my opinion is this. There is a difference in cussing a player directly by calling the young man the names in order to demean him there is no place for that. Now, I personally feel that a coach who curses in general or to sound more rough or to ad a little more punch to make a point, that's no big deal. These young men hear worse and in many cases say worse daily themselves. If they are brought up to know the difference and deal with it "the way they will need to as adults", we should just chalk it up to one more of the valuable lessons the great sport of football teaches us. We cannot control what others do or say, we can only control the way we respond.

Tony Dungy was mentioned above, here is a quote of his from his book.

"Respond to adversity do not react"

God Bless and Merry Christmas!

I completely agree, cussing at the kid to down him shouldnt be tolerated. but cussing in general i dont see it as a problem

True Fan

December 06, 2009, 07:09:01 pm #15 Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:12:58 pm by True Fan
Quote from: colts52 on December 06, 2009, 06:45:52 pm
a coach expects a kid not to use it in a classroom because its a rule. its not a rule that the coach cant curse.

Weak point. Every school has rules. These apply during class AND during school activities. They also apply to students and faculty. It's no different, (BY RULE), than a math or science teacher cussing in class for effect.

What it really teaches is that the same rules don't apply to everyone. The old double standard. Kind of like that Lamar thing that upset so many people because "the rule wasn't followed".

colts52

you are not in the north east corner. the teachers cuss

washedup

Van Paschal cursed one time in practice and he ran drills until he couldn't walk after practice just like the players. There is no need for foul language anywhere. Especially if you claim to be a christian.

Smithian

I think there is a big difference between coaches cussing in general and coaches cussing at players. Huge difference. One happens. It's not good, but we're all human. The other? Not very acceptable in high school football.

colts52

this is going to endup a religious type thing but were i stand is that there is going to be cussing in football the intensity is so high and words come out. it happens but it should not happen in a derogitory manner towards a kid

washedup

I don't cuss and I'm human? Under no circumstance do I get mad enough or upset enough to cuss. Anyone can choose not to cuss its just a matter of will power

Big Foot

This thread must be dedicated to the one and only "HARVE WELCH"

Eddie Goodson

I don't know who it was aimed at but it is a heck of note when the person who starts the thread about coaches cussing doesn't make it three posts without cussing another poster. Kind of ruins the point they were trying to make.

JohnBarleycorn

The worst mouth I've heard on a coach was from a Christian, Private school in Little Rock.

DB

What is the intent of one person "cussing" another person?  Generally speaking, one person cussing another person usually involves an effort to intimidate.  It also usually involves a lack of intelligence, vocabulary, self perception and manhood.  I've just never understood the fascination with using parts of our language that identifies us as someone who cannot handle stressful situations in a calm, intelligent, productive manner.  I understand pre-teens and teenagers that cuss.  But it often baffles me to see grown intelligent men and women look so stupid.

o-lineman

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 06, 2009, 02:22:56 pm

Tony Dungy
You have no clue as to whether or not Dungy ever used profanity. In closed doors with players I bet he has dropped a bomb or two................

Which high school does Dungy coach for, again? Wait....... That'd be NFL. And i coulr be wrong, but he's no longer a coach.

OldScrap

Quote from: washedup on December 06, 2009, 07:47:07 pm
I don't cuss and I'm human? Under no circumstance do I get mad enough or upset enough to cuss. Anyone can choose not to cuss its just a matter of will power

True!

And of all things, a coach, who is a teacher, setting a double standard, doing what the student is told not to do, sad.

RD™

DB

Quote from: Rebel Dog™ on December 06, 2009, 09:40:00 pm
Rick Jones.

I've never met Rick Jones.  Based on his record, I think it is safe to assume that he is a fairly intelligent man.  I suspect he has a better understanding of motivation than do most coaches.  I am not surprised that he does not feel a need to cuss his players.

RD™

Quote from: DB on December 06, 2009, 09:50:42 pm
Quote from: Rebel Dog™ on December 06, 2009, 09:40:00 pm
Rick Jones.

I've never met Rick Jones.  Based on his record, I think it is safe to assume that he is a fairly intelligent man.  I suspect he has a better understanding of motivation than do most coaches.  I am not surprised that he does not feel a need to cuss his players.
His cuss word "GOOD GOSH A FRIDAY"

That's it.

washedup

Rick Jones must be doing something right or something illegal to do what he does year in and year out. But he is a great coach the best in Arkansas in my opinion.

Jimbo Morphis

this is a chicken#$@% thread. cussing is part of #$@%$^& football. if you can't take it join the ^%$% band. if the band director should cuss there is always homeschooling.

washedup

Billyo62

Words are just words, if they are used in a matter that is pointed or belittling then it's bad,  but if it's just the word being used that bothers you get over it you pansies!

DubbyFife

To me it boils down to this.  I don't cuss around my own children and I don't really apprecitate it when others do.  I know it happens and we all live through it but I can't see where anyone has the right to use inappropriate language around others kids.  It just about respect.

Billyo62

Quote from: DubbyFife on December 07, 2009, 10:56:21 am
To me it boils down to this.  I don't cuss around my own children and I don't really apprecitate it when others do.  I know it happens and we all live through it but I can't see where anyone has the right to use inappropriate language around others kids.  It just about respect.

I had a coach in football that could speak several languages and used to say things all the time when he was mad, no one ever complained...years later I found out that he was one of the most foul mouthed people on the planet, we just didn't know the words he was speaking... My point is if you have no idea it's a bad word then I guess it's ok because your or kids won't feel disrespected or uncomfortable....no harm no foul.

pantherblue

I actually don't even think this was about a football coach.  The word "girls basketball" was slipped in so I am almost certain that is what started this whole thing.... I know the new one at Brier doesn't hide any words with anyone so I am sure that's what started it....

BillyJack™

Interesting topic, but my question has to be, what is truly defined as profanity?

Is it simply the use of words that have been deemed taboo regardless of intention or do the words themselves not matter and it fall on the use of language to demoralize another person? I've always had a hard time with that question.

Being retired Army and always serving in line units, cursing was communicating. No real malintent, just more of an urgent motivational contents.

Personally, I've tried to raise my son with the understanding that you should respect social taboos, but to note that there is really no difference between the likes of "Shoot that hurt!" and "&#$% that hurt!". That it's more the meaning of what and why you say something that's the issue than the words you use to portray it.

washedup

I just don't believe you can say one thing and do another. Example "Do as I say and not as I do." That's the most perverted way to lead people especially kids. You lead by Influence not by authority, that's how you gain true trust from people.

rpr

So a coach who doesn't have a 4.0 GPA, doesn't run sprints with the team during conditioning, can't keep a running back out of the end zone with a classic form tackle, or stand in the pocket and take a hit while throwing the perfect deep ball isn't really going to be an effective coach?

gatecrasher

It's FOOTBALL. Coaches chewed my butt out back in the day....using profanity.

All it did was make me work harder.....

Maybe some kids need to go play with Tonka trucks and Barbie dolls......sheesh......

True Fan

I have had coaches that cussed a blue streak and coaches that never cussed. Some good and some bad from both categories.

I've never seen it make someone a better coach.

OldScrap

Quote from: washedup on December 07, 2009, 04:02:20 pm
I just don't believe you can say one thing and do another. Example "Do as I say and not as I do." That's the most perverted way to lead people especially kids. You lead by Influence not by authority, that's how you gain true trust from people.

I agree with you, but there be many who will disagree with us, even though we are right.

You lead by example, and a good example goes a long ways towards teaching children. If you tell them to do one way, them you do the other way, them you will not have their respect. Some cannot understand that.

washedup

As hard as it might be to believe football isn't about winning on friday night that just a plus. Football is about building people skills and work ethic. The man that teaches you those things is your coach. He's your example the one you look to when you do not know what to do or you do what he's done in that situation. That's why a coach should lead by example and not worthless words. That's not only a message about coaching its a message to anyone in general.

cacfootball4lyfe

I know that I talk alot about CAC's past, but in my seven years there I never heard one coach use profanity and last time I checked during that time we were pretty successful. There is no need for profanity on the field it doesnt help you win at all it just makes you look stupid.

Billyo62

December 08, 2009, 10:21:41 am #45 Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:23:24 am by Billyo62
Quote from: washedup on December 08, 2009, 10:15:12 am
As hard as it might be to believe football isn't about winning on friday night that just a plus. Football is about building people skills and work ethic. The man that teaches you those things is your coach. He's your example the one you look to when you do not know what to do or you do what he's done in that situation. That's why a coach should lead by example and not worthless words. That's not only a message about coaching its a message to anyone in general.

Ok, it would be a lot better if coaches would tell kids to go do something other than football because in all honesty they are too fat and slow to play at the level we need here in this program and quit wasting My time and the real football players time.

That would be honest 99% of the time, and it would make the kids that really want to succeed do their best to overcome the reality of their inabilties...That would be a great real world lesson in life...  Mommies would revolt for their babies!  ;)

washedup

I played football just like you probably did. And I had men that coached me that were good men on the field but more importantly better men off the field. You can make jokes if you want but if you have kids you want your coaches to be good influences on the field and off. And show your kids how to deal with adverse situations and joyful situations in the right way.

Billyo62

Quote from: washedup on December 08, 2009, 11:33:24 am
I played football just like you probably did. And I had men that coached me that were good men on the field but more importantly better men off the field. You can make jokes if you want but if you have kids you want your coaches to be good influences on the field and off. And show your kids how to deal with adverse situations and joyful situations in the right way.

All joking aside , I agree with you, I just think that at times we make little things into big things, my nephews dad made a formal complaint to their school because the dad witnessed the coach smoking a cigarette in his car after a game " Private Religous school "  some folks just need to lighten up just a tad! 

washedup

Some people can take things to far yes I absolutely agree. But I deal with kids all the time and the one the that I don't mess around with is the outcome of a young persons life. But the lesson to be learned is that eyes are always on you no matter who you are or what you do. So people ought to live accordingly you never know who else's life you might effect with your actions.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: washedup on December 07, 2009, 10:43:44 am
You must be a very lonely sad little man.
actually a very big happy man who was kidding. i don't think it hurts a kid to hear a little profanity on the football field. they are going to hear it in life.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas