• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorite author?

Started by SandLizard04, March 30, 2009, 11:09:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SandLizard04

Who's yours?

Mine is without question Thomas Hardy. Jude the Obscure, Far From the Madding Crowd, Return of the Native....everything I've ever read by him is spectacular.

Chief_Osceola™

I have a few:

C.S. Lewis
Ayn Rand (I don't really agree with the whole of objectivist philosophy, but I tend to side with her economic/political viewpoints.)
Dante Aligheri (I don't know of anything else he wrote outside of The Divine Comedy, but I enjoyed that enough to read through it 3 times.)

Eddie Goodson

Favorite fiction author without a doubt is Clive Cussler. I've been all over the world with Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino. The only Dirk Pitt Adventure I've not read is the latest one. When it makes paperback, I'll grab it.

Favorite Christian writer is Watchman Nee. He's the greatest Christian writer since the Apostle Paul.

Texarkana_Piggie

i've read all kinds of stuff. 
current authors, i like james patterson, jodi picoult, patricia cornwell, candace robb, steve berry, frank perretti, mary kay andrews.  i read different stuff.  if it looks intersting, i pick it up and read it.  i'm not big into classics.  i've read a few here and there, but not religiously.

The Reality is back...

True Believer

For light reading, I love Janet Evanovich.  Good fluff and fun to read.  I have to read too many text books to get into the heavy stuff. 

theHammer

Chuck Palahniuk, Kurt Vonnegut, Ray Bradbury, Joseph Heller, Jerome David Salinger, or D.H. Lawrence. I have trouble narrowing it down after that. lol

Wampus_Cat

Russian authors (Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Pushkin, Turgenev, Aitmatov, etc)
Ayn Rand
Salman Rushdie

warriorsforever

James Patterson- I have not read one of his books I didn't like- even the "kid" books (Maximum Ride)
Stephen King- except Salem's Lot- that book scares the crap out of me!
John Grisham- except The Innocent Man- I could not get through it at all!
classis authors: George Orwell and John Steinbeck and to a certain extent, CS Lewis

I will attempt to read nearly anything- even the Twilight books- I read the whole 4 massive books one right after the other in 10 days, mainly to see what all the big facination was.  I did get hooked on the story, but was unimpressed with the ending.  Oh well...

HORNETFAN1122

I "discovered" Thomas Cook several years ago.  If you like mysteries, you will be hard pressed to find a better writer.  I've read every book he's ever written and he's terrific. 

Read "Evidence of Blood"...you won't be able to put it down.  It's one of those old unsolved murder stories and the ending is a complete surprise.

transplant

Mike Love

Quote from: transplant on April 02, 2009, 12:49:35 pm
Steven Hunter
Its Stephen Hunter, if your talking about the author of the famed "Bob Lee Swagger" series. A great read, but the last, 47th Samauri, was a bit of a stretch.
I also read W.E.B. Griffin, a master storyteller, with a knack for getting into the everyday vernacular of the military or police. I have read every book, The Brotherhood of War, The Corps, Badge of Honor, Honor Bound, Men at War, and Presidential Agent, for a total of 42 books. I own every one, in hardback. Worth every penny

Texarkana_Piggie

i have all of james patterson's alex cross series, many signed and all of patricia cornwell's kay scarpetta series.  those are my 2 favorite authors.

The Snowman

James Patterson hands down..Alex Cross series is the best and Womans murder club is a pretty good series too.  I wish they would make some more movies based off his books.

Uncle Ivan

The Great Lewis McDonald Grizzard - simply a treasure of our time.

Stephen King - The Stand, The Dead Zone, and Pet Sematary are required reading if you like King.

I just finished Pet Sematary for the two dozeneth time a few hours ago.  It is the darkest book I have ever read, par none.

Tom Clancy - Besides Red Storm Rising, I've read every book of fiction he's ever written.

The Reality is back...

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 03, 2009, 05:53:17 am
The Great Lewis McDonald Grizzard - simply a treasure of our time.

Stephen King - The Stand, The Dead Zone, and Pet Sematary are required reading if you like King.

I just finished Pet Sematary for the two dozeneth time a few hours ago.  It is the darkest book I have ever read, par none.
Tom Clancy - Besides Red Storm Rising, I've read every book of fiction he's ever written.

Go read "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.

Ridge Rat

April 03, 2009, 11:01:59 pm #16 Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:07:56 pm by Ridge Rat
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 03, 2009, 05:53:17 am<br />The Great Lewis McDonald Grizzard - simply a treasure of our time.<br /><br />Stephen King - The Stand, The Dead Zone, and Pet Sematary are required reading if you like King.<br /><br />I <i>just</i> finished Pet Sematary for the two dozeneth time a few hours ago.  It is the darkest book I have ever read, par none.<br /><br />Tom Clancy - Besides Red Storm Rising, I've read every book of fiction he's ever written.<br />
If you haven't read Red Storm Rising, you have to get it. It's a little dated now, but it's stil a great read. Another in the same vein is Red Phoenix by Larry Bond. My favorite fiction authors are Tom Clancy,Harold Coyle and Louis Lamour. Nonfiction would have to be Steven Ambrose.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: The Snowman on April 03, 2009, 12:29:07 am
James Patterson hands down..Alex Cross series is the best and Womans murder club is a pretty good series too.  I wish they would make some more movies based off his books.

i just finished "you've been warned" last night.  that was a trip.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 03, 2009, 12:59:39 pm

Been meaning to for years, haven't gotten around to it. 

I'd tell you how bad of a procrastinator I am, but I'll do it later.

The Reality is back...

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 04, 2009, 10:31:04 am
Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 03, 2009, 12:59:39 pm

Been meaning to for years, haven't gotten around to it. 

I'd tell you how bad of a procrastinator I am, but I'll do it later.

haha, well played.

HoD is probably the toughest book I've ever read, and it's only like, 110 pages. It's so intense and thick, every sentence was pondered over for probably 10-15 minutes.

SandLizard04

I HATED HEART OF DARKNESS.

The Reality is back...

Quote from: Ramblin' Man™ on April 04, 2009, 04:29:14 pm
I HATED HEART OF DARKNESS.

Yeah, it's not on my "to re-read" list, lol.

The Snowman

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 04, 2009, 10:27:03 am
Quote from: The Snowman on April 03, 2009, 12:29:07 am

i just finished "you've been warned" last night.  that was a trip.
yeah thats an i see dead people type of book

CatsRule

Quote from: Women Without Whiskey 7/6 on March 31, 2009, 02:48:35 am
Ayn Rand
Salman Rushdie

To a smaller extent, I've been on a Russian authors kick myself recently.  I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky).  Only about 160 pages in and enjoying it. 
I also have a book by Tolstoy titled "A Calendar of Wisdom."  Each morning I read the thoughts that correspond with the date and try and gain some personal perspective from it during the day.  Good stuff.

Back in the day I really enjoyed reading Dean Koontz.  :-\

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: CatsRule on April 05, 2009, 03:09:39 pm
Ayn Rand
Salman Rushdie

To a smaller extent, I've been on a Russian authors kick myself recently.  I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky).  Only about 160 pages in and enjoying it. 
I also have a book by Tolstoy titled "A Calendar of Wisdom."  Each morning I read the thoughts that correspond with the date and try and gain some personal perspective from it during the day.  Good stuff.

You should check out his book "The Kingdom of God is Within You"...

Pretty epic.

CatsRule

Quote from: Women Without Whiskey 7/6 on April 05, 2009, 04:57:36 pm
Quote from: CatsRule on April 05, 2009, 03:09:39 pm
Ayn Rand
Salman Rushdie

You should check out his book "The Kingdom of God is Within You"...

Pretty epic.

Haha.  Funny that you would recommend that book.  I've also been reading "The Essential Gandhi."  Gandhi credits Tolstoy (and that book specifically) as being one of the biggest influences in his life.  I'd be remiss not to add it to my reading list.

Made

R.A. Salvatore-Fantasy Fiction

stina_ar

Stephen King. John Grisham.

Drama Mama ™

May 23, 2009, 11:07:53 pm #28 Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:19:24 pm by Drama Mama ™
Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on March 30, 2009, 09:06:01 pm
i've read all kinds of stuff. 
current authors, i like james patterson, jodi picoult, patricia cornwell, candace robb, steve berry, frank perretti, mary kay andrews.  i read different stuff.  if it looks intersting, i pick it up and read it.  i'm not big into classics.  i've read a few here and there, but not religiously.
Ooooooo, you and I could book swap ;D   I'm on Linda Lael Miller right now, The Montana Creeds.  Next up is a James Patterson. Haven't read his lately, and I have the latest of the Cross series to dive into.  His Women's Murder Club stuff kept me up all night reading also.    I think Janet Evanovich is one of my all time favs though if I just want to read one that makes me lol.  All of her Stephanie Plum novels are a hoot.   Patricia Cornwell and her Scarpetta Series.... LOVED THEM !

My good friend is basically a book store for me.  She buys all the hard back copies,  so she has this huge library for me to shop in .  I just go to her house, pick up about 10 books and bring back what I got the trip before.  It's wonderful!  Plus she weeds out the bad one's !    She got me all hooked back on reading a few years ago and now I get a little cranky if I don't have a good book to kick back at night with !

Texarkana_Piggie

i'm reading american wife right now.  it's pretty good.

CatsRule

I'm a big fan of Dostoevsky now.  Just finished reading The Brothers Karamazov and between starting and finishing it I read Notes From Underground.  Both are very good. 

Uncle Ivan

I hear Drama Mama likes those nasty romance novels.

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: CatsRule on June 01, 2009, 07:44:04 pm
I'm a big fan of Dostoevsky now.  Just finished reading The Brothers Karamazov and between starting and finishing it I read Notes From Underground.  Both are very good. 
You read Crime and Punishment yet?

The Devils (or The Posessed) by Dostoyevsky kind of reminds me of a few of my friends. It's a good one.

I've recently been on an Upton Sinclair kick. I'm reading "Oil!" which is the basis for There Will Be Blood. Pretty great stuff.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Women Without Whiskey 7/6 on June 02, 2009, 11:03:32 am
I've recently been on an Upton Sinclair kick. I'm reading "Oil!" which is the basis for There Will Be Blood. Pretty great stuff.

I didn't know he wrote anything big outside of The Jungle.  That was certainly an interesting read.

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on June 02, 2009, 11:24:00 am

I didn't know he wrote anything big outside of The Jungle.  That was certainly an interesting read.
Yeah, he's got quite a few.

I liked The Jungle alot, but Oil! might be better

SandLizard04

Notes From the Underground is one of my faves.

Been meaning to read both Oil and the Jungle for years now.

theHammer

Quote from: Women Without Whiskey 7/6 on June 02, 2009, 12:03:28 pm

Ever heard of "Dragon's Teeth"?Its  part of a series, but you can get away with reading just that book. Its excellent. I think its better than both of the afore-mentioned Sinclair novels.

Drama Mama ™

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 02, 2009, 01:56:44 am
I hear Drama Mama likes those nasty romance novels.
LOL ! I actually like the CSI stuff.  Guess that's why I'm into Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson.  Give me a nasty crime scene and keep me in suspense on trying to figure out who the killer is !     

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: theHammer on June 03, 2009, 09:01:38 pm

Ever heard of "Dragon's Teeth"?Its  part of a series, but you can get away with reading just that book. Its excellent. I think its better than both of the afore-mentioned Sinclair novels.
Really?

No I hadn't checked it out. I might get on that.

Oil! is really, really good by the way.

johnharrison

Short stories by Garcia Marquez

redwolf143

short stories by O.Henry

theHammer

Quote from: Women Without Whiskey 7/6 on June 11, 2009, 10:26:30 am
Quote from: theHammer on June 03, 2009, 09:01:38 pm

Really?

No I hadn't checked it out. I might get on that.

Oil! is really, really good by the way.
All three are excellent. "Dragon's Teeth" is definitely worth a look if you haven't already. I absolutely LOVED it.

Wampus_Cat

Haha I'm not far from finishing Oil!, probably 4/5ths left and I've seen little to no parallels to There Will Be Blood. Yes, there's a father and a son and the son acts alot like the father. Yes, It's about oil and has that cast of the preacher and the poor family. But so far that's where it ends. Maybe it gets more like the movie soon.

WCD

redwolf143

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: WCD on June 12, 2009, 02:16:46 pm
Dr. Seuss!

WCD ;D

the only one of his i really do not like is the butter battle book.  i love the bartholomew cubbins books.  and i think i know green eggs and ham by memory now.

Chief_Osceola™

I know every single tongue-twister in 'Oh Say Can You Say', and every word of 'Fox in Socks'.

CatsRule

Quote from: CatsRule on June 01, 2009, 07:44:04 pm
You read Crime and Punishment yet?

The Devils (or The Posessed) by Dostoyevsky kind of reminds me of a few of my friends. It's a good one.

Haven't read Crime and Punishment yet.  I figure I'll get around to it along with his other stuff at a later time, but for now I'm moving on to Meditations (Marcus Aurelius). 

Also, I've been reading a book titled The Heart of Christianity by Marcus J. Borg.  It's about progressive Christianity.  Pretty interesting.  It proposes a different approach to reading the bible than what I was taught being raised as the son of a Baptist preacher. 

JC PIMP

koopa

George Orwell is my absolute favorite with Chuck Palahniuk coming in a close second.

Some other notables: Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, John Green.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas