• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SCORE THREAD: 3A BOYS FINAL (Sat 2:30)Charleston vs Cedar Ridge

Started by xadboy, March 05, 2016, 09:38:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Charleston
32 (25.2%)
Cedar Ridge
95 (74.8%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Voting closed: March 12, 2016, 02:36:18 pm

Longfellow

One problem with that post. One of his dunks yesterday was on a fastbreak. Also I didn't read the rest

Ozark Hog

Why comment then? The main thing is he walked away with the title 2 dunks 3 or a dozen the kid is a player.

pioneers

I have a buddy that is a referee and he is friends with a coach on the coaching staff and he told my friend that reaves doesn't fit their style. The hogs style is full court press and so called hard nosed defense but the hogs lost 5 games this year when scoring 80 or more points if you score 80 points you should win every game hands down. Anderson is going to have to swallow his pride and change the system or Arkansas will continue to lose. Offense wasn't the issue this year the hogs scored 78 ppg the issue is defense. 

Longfellow

I commented because you were wrong and I felt like exercising my First Amendment rights

mr.gametime

Quote from: pioneers on March 13, 2016, 10:25:01 am
I have a buddy that is a referee and he is friends with a coach on the coaching staff and he told my friend that reaves doesn't fit their style. The hogs style is full court press and so called hard nosed defense but the hogs lost 5 games this year when scoring 80 or more points if you score 80 points you should win every game hands down. Anderson is going to have to swallow his pride and change the system or Arkansas will continue to lose. Offense wasn't the issue this year the hogs scored 78 ppg the issue is defense.

Thank you. ..this is what im trying to explain to these people. ..like I said. .I don't think is right ..but he doesn't fit Mike Anderson system. ..you gotta be able to fly to the ball on defense  because of how much they trap and press...I don't think some of you people realize how big of a difference it is between highschool and college ball...do you know how many hundreds of players there are on college basketball teams that hardly get any playing time or there game didn't translate to the college level. .but when they  was in highschool they where dropping 25 or 30 points a game.

mr.gametime

I watched Hunter Mickelson play in highschool he dominated...in the post while playing a Jonesboro Westside ...but once he got to college ..he didn't fit Mike Anderson system. ..he was still able to score down low...but as far as defense goes he got beat everytime he got in the game...cuz he wasn't fast enough to recover on traps or when they pressed. .so he gave up alot of easy baskets down low ....which led to him getting decreased minutes and people all over Arkansas bashing the kid...which caused him to transfer. ...YOU GOTTA BE ABLE TO PlAY DEFENSE IN MIKE ANDERSON SYSTEM. ...

Ozark Hog

The ones he has now sure not up to the task, about every team we played this year killed us from the 3 point line. If that is what it takes to play for Mike he better recruit him some more men the ones he got not doing real good!  16-16 record ?
If Hannah who doesn't have the same ball handling skills can play for the Hogs, but Reaves couldn't? Hannah not even as fast.

Eagle20

Quote from: mr.gametime on March 13, 2016, 11:35:29 am
I watched Hunter Mickelson play in highschool he dominated...in the post while playing a Jonesboro Westside ...but once he got to college ..he didn't fit Mike Anderson system. ..he was still able to score down low...but as far as defense goes he got beat everytime he got in the game...cuz he wasn't fast enough to recover on traps or when they pressed. .so he gave up alot of easy baskets down low ....which led to him getting decreased minutes and people all over Arkansas bashing the kid...which caused him to transfer. ...YOU GOTTA BE ABLE TO PlAY DEFENSE IN MIKE ANDERSON SYSTEM. ...
That is a joke!  If you call trapping and giving up layups defense, yeah you are right. 

Eagle20

Quote from: mr.gametime on March 13, 2016, 11:25:42 am
Thank you. ..this is what im trying to explain to these people. ..like I said. .I don't think is right ..but he doesn't fit Mike Anderson system. ..you gotta be able to fly to the ball on defense  because of how much they trap and press...I don't think some of you people realize how big of a difference it is between highschool and college ball...do you know how many hundreds of players there are on college basketball teams that hardly get any playing time or there game didn't translate to the college level. .but when they  was in highschool they where dropping 25 or 30 points a game.
Reaves is a better player and athlete than
1.  Hannah's
2.  Beard
3.  Watkins
Probably could name more.  You have to be on crack to think he couldn't play for the Razorbacks

Moonshiner

Quote from: mr.gametime on March 13, 2016, 11:35:29 am

Maybe the "Coach" should realize that he isn't getting the types of players to fit this type of helter  skelter defense and make the necessary adjustments.  I think it is you who doesn't understand.  If your trap is funneling them to the basket then stop trapping. Either that, or out score the opponent.  Reeves can score.  And he's certainly not slow like Mickelson was.  If Hannah's can play there then I'm sure Reeves can.  We all know the real reason he wasn't recruited to Arkansas. 

BigMan15

The 2 cents I have on the subject is this IF Arkansas didn't want Austin why are we having this talk. Arkansass program is going down hill. Austin is in better hands with WSU. Arkansas and Mike Anderson are terrible at recruiting. Mitchell Smith Malik Monk Payton from Fayetteville Austin Reaves Eric Curry among others graduate this year and Arkansas gets none how does that happen. With the program the way it is I could see more kids wanting to go to A State or Little Rock because they are stable programs. If I was Arkansas I would be embarrassed!!!!

papaeagle

Quote from: BigMan15 on March 13, 2016, 12:37:07 pm
The 2 cents I have on the subject is this IF Arkansas didn't want Austin why are we having this talk. Arkansass program is going down hill. Austin is in better hands with WSU. Arkansas and Mike Anderson are terrible at recruiting. Mitchell Smith Malik Monk Payton from Fayetteville Austin Reaves Eric Curry among others graduate this year and Arkansas gets none how does that happen. With the program the way it is I could see more kids wanting to go to A State or Little Rock because they are stable programs. If I was Arkansas I would be embarrassed!!!!
Agree for most part. Anderson is horrible at recruiting. Knowing he was losing 3 players (or 4) after last year, he recruited TWO taller men, Seniors at "nobody" small colleges, who were not even doing well at that lower level ball. And they hardly contributed, fumbling the ball, missing most shots and SLOW down the court both ways. He got what he deserved .. Yes, another lackluster year next year will likely get him NO contract extensions and he will start looking elsewhere, blaming Arkansas  not being a "drawing card" college to players, not even those in state. UALR is a great program with a great winning record.... go there Fenner or Reaves. Play sooner and enjoy your 4 years of college before joining the work force.  Good post, 1+ and hope Fenner stays in 4-3A his senior year.  :)

Black and Gold

BigMan15

papaeagle

Quote from: Eagle20 on March 13, 2016, 12:30:05 pm
1.  Hannah's
2.  Beard
3.  Watkins
Probably could name more.  You have to be on crack to think he couldn't play for the Razorbacks
Better than Watkins, the assistant coach's son, for sure. And this year Beard was horrible, always wanted to shoot the 3 point ball, even with the 2 main scorers on the floor. Hannah is a true shooter and does NOT  play that bad a defense, certainly his offense allows him to stay in the game and give  AR a punch with outside shooting and forcing the other team to go man-to-man.  Agee with 2/3 of your post for darn sure.

mtindian42

Reaves can only play for the town he is from. He could have very easily transferd to jb and got better recognition.

But he is loyal. What college would not wont  a loyal well versed student of the game?

Reaves could dominate on any level this state has. Because of his knowledge of the game. And his skills

WSU is way better then Arkansas. Cause Marshall knows talent when he sees it. Reaves is better off. 👍

mr.gametime

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 13, 2016, 12:35:39 pm
Maybe the "Coach" should realize that he isn't getting the types of players to fit this type of helter  skelter defense and make the necessary adjustments.  I think it is you who doesn't understand.  If your trap is funneling them to the basket then stop trapping. Either that, or out score the opponent.  Reeves can score.  And he's certainly not slow like Mickelson was.  If Hannah's can play there then I'm sure Reeves can.  We all know the real reason he wasn't recruited to Arkansas.

I agree I don't believe in Mike Anderson system it's played out and doesn't work any more...I was letting you know why he wasn't offered ...and if you disagree ..then what's the real reason?

mr.gametime

Quote from: Eagle20 on March 13, 2016, 12:30:05 pm
1.  Hannah's
2.  Beard
3.  Watkins

Lol...you have to be on crack to think reaves is better than hannahs...

mtindian42

Moonshiner

Quote from: mr.gametime on March 13, 2016, 03:46:49 pm
I agree I don't believe in Mike Anderson system it's played out and doesn't work any more...I was letting you know why he wasn't offered ...and if you disagree ..then what's the real reason?

I think there are several.  I'm sure they probably didn't need another guard.  I'll get that one out of the way.  But let's look at the Richardson/Anderson recruiting while both have been at Arkansas.  Neither of them recruited Arkansas that well.   Most of the Ole Miss teams of the 90's were made up of Arkansas kids.  Starting with Keith Carter.  The MVP from Minnesota was from Arkansas.  And I'll repeat what Air Warren said earlier.  A good white kid seldom gets a chance at Arkansas.  Nolans best teams always had that token white kid that could shoot the lights out.  Heaven forbid we allow 2 on the team at the same time.  Right now he's preaching defense.  They couldn't defend a mailbox.  It just seems to me that Arkansas kids don't have a chance to play for the Razorbacks anymore.  Eddie Sutton was a defensive guru and I guarantee you he would've been all over Austin Reeves

brock

ZoneBuster

Markadomous

Reaves is the real deal. Me and my boys got to see him in person yesterday. The sky is the limit for this young man. He could have had 60 plus if the coach hadn't taken the reigns off him. He is on a different level. He had 73 in a win against Forrest City who beat the brakes off Cabot twice this season. Cabot beat the beloved Monk and company in 7A finals. Also Fenner was a threat for Charleston every time he touched the ball. He to is a great one. If Fred Bird is still doubting Reaves she needs to watch the game again.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Markadomous on March 13, 2016, 05:22:19 pm
Reaves is the real deal. Me and my boys got to see him in person yesterday. The sky is the limit for this young man. He could have had 60 plus if the coach hadn't taken the reigns off him. He is on a different level. He had 73 in a win against Forrest City who beat the brakes off Cabot twice this season. Cabot beat the beloved Monk and company in 7A finals. Also Fenner was a threat for Charleston every time he touched the ball. He to is a great one. If Fred Bird is still doubting Reaves she needs to watch the game again.

I'M DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigMan15

Quote from: neds on March 12, 2016, 06:55:11 pm
ChucktownTiger I think if you guys can sign Fenner for the 2017 season then you are the team to beat. If he takes his talents to South beach I don't know.
He is signing his extension through the 2017 year today!!lol that's funny!

Eagle20

Quote from: mr.gametime on March 13, 2016, 03:49:47 pm
Lol...you have to be on crack to think reaves is better than hannahs...
Dusty probably shoots a little better but Reaves is 3 inches taller, can finish at the rim and above the rim, is a much better ball handler and passer, is longer and a better defender.  Take who you want Mr. Gametime, I will take Reaves.  Also, when the Razorbacks have to play halfcourt defense it gets shredded.  Fact!

Batman44

Quote from: mtindian42 on March 13, 2016, 03:52:36 pm
Tuckerman -harber -valley view -3 losses

Tuckerman game ended with CR having only 2 players on the floor. All the others had fouled out.

Ice Water

^Can we get some details on this? Newspaper link or something?

Batman44

Quote from: Ice Water on March 13, 2016, 08:46:41 pm
^Can we get some details on this? Newspaper link or something?

I'm giving second hand info from a CR fan. Actually heard it more than once.

neds

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Batman44 on March 13, 2016, 07:03:29 pm
Tuckerman game ended with CR having only 2 players on the floor. All the others had fouled out.

It is true they only finished with 2 or 3 players in the Tuckerman game. The football players played in that game with less than a week of practice. They played Valley View twice and split (Reaves had the game winner rim out at the buzzer) and they also lost to Har-Ber in the Barry Pruitt in a hard fought game.

They had some really impressive wins though this year for sure.

Ozark Hog

I will tell you how good Reaves is if he had transferred to Bentonville at the start of the season he have been one of the five starters. The little Estra kid that played guard for Bentonville would be riding the pine. If he had of played in the game against Cabot, Bentonville would have taken the trophy back to Northwest Arkansas.

I keeping hearing on here that oh  man he couldn't play against people from the bigger conferences! That is pure BS he could play for any school in the state. Unlike some people he decided to stay at CR. He  is not the only one from a smaller school that could start for any team. Jones, Brown, williams, Glasper. the big boy from Baptist prep, just to name a few.  These play at those because that is where they want to be, not because they are not good enough to compete with the boys from a bigger school.

adaptedtigerfan

I think you guys are hitting dirt now...  This dead horse has pretty much disintegrated y'all have beat him so much.

Ozark Hog

Yeah  guess that the way the Charleston fans feel!! Probably tired of watching the game film of the title game.

adaptedtigerfan

The Dynasty

Quote from: Ozark Hog on March 14, 2016, 10:06:52 am
Yeah  guess that the way the Charleston fans feel!! Probably tired of watching the game film of the title game.

Or maybe it's because Charleston people have heard this argument with Storey the last 4 years. We are on your side buddy. Take a breath and chill out.

Ozark Hog

BigMan15

Come on man!!! Charleston was great this year!! Dont downgrade us because we lost the last game of the season!!!

WhiteRiverMonster

Quote from: Batman44 on March 13, 2016, 11:44:55 pm
I'm giving second hand info from a CR fan. Actually heard it more than once.

I'll confirm that that happened. It's a really weird rivalry and never fun for CR to play at Tuckerman. It's pretty much not even basketball, just this sick game of spin the bottle but instead of a kiss they beat you to death. Always hate the at Tuckerman games.

Fun fact- My senior year of high school, had to walk by the elementary playground there to go watch a regional softball game. One of the kids on the ELEMENTARY playground cussed me and threatened to whoop me because I was wearing a CR shirt. I mean, he was behind the fence and I was an adult so I didn't feel particularly threatened, I'm just saying, they hate CR A LOT and the games there are not a fun time.

WhiteRiverMonster

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, not only were the football boys playing on a week of practice, Powell (#23) was completely out of this game with an ankle injury.

The Dynasty

I have a question for the CR folks. I heard at the game that the future might not be too bright for a few years. Is this accurate? Also historically has Cedar Ridge/Newark been competitive statewide like the last couple of years?

Ozark Hog

I never said they weren't a good team they are. Baring injuries I think they will be the one to beat next year,  I have a lot of respect for the Charleston coach he is a good man who gets his kids to play team ball. The kid that was shooting the threes is a dandy player, if he could handle the ball as good a Reaves he would be hard to stop, and the rest of the starting five looked good also. So good luck next year, and let me say I am a big fan of Mr. Story I hope he gets his chance to start at quarterback for the hogs.

MDXPHD

Quote from: The Dynasty on March 14, 2016, 10:57:08 am
I have a question for the CR folks. I heard at the game that the future might not be too bright for a few years. Is this accurate? Also historically has Cedar Ridge/Newark been competitive statewide like the last couple of years?

CR is about to have a huge dropoff in talent. Not a bright near future at all. The last 4 years the town has been spoiled by two sets of brothers that have led their team to 3 titles. You won't even hear about them next year. But, they have had a great run and should really enjoy it! Not many schools have the success that they have had the last few years.

Timberwolf08

CR's gonna be really, really weak for the next few years...the 6th graders right now I've been told are pretty decent but we'll have a dry spell. They've been pretty good since 2008, that team went 40-2 and lost in the second round of state, they made some regional appearances with high winning percentage seasons between then and 2013, but the year the Crabtree/Reaves brothers got together was when it really all started. 2012-13 was supposed to be a "rebuilding year" but someone forgot to tell those boys.

The Dynasty

Quote from: MDXPHD on March 14, 2016, 11:31:50 am
CR is about to have a huge dropoff in talent. Not a bright near future at all. The last 4 years the town has been spoiled by two sets of brothers that have led their team to 3 titles. You won't even hear about them next year. But, they have had a great run and should really enjoy it! Not many schools have the success that they have had the last few years.

They were a great team for sure. Hope that Reaves has a great collegiate career. He seems like a good kid.

Luckily Charleston looks setup to have an excellent run the next 5 or 6 years. Junior high was stacked this year and we have a lot coming back next year. Going to be fun to watch.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas