• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-3A in 2019

Started by beach bum, December 08, 2018, 06:05:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

December 08, 2018, 06:05:37 pm Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:15:24 pm by beach bum
First off, let's say congrats to Booneville and their special group of seniors. And their whole team in general for winning the title today. It's not always easy being the favorite at the beginning of the year and actually living up to that hype. The Bearcats did just that with an utterly dominating performance today. You Booneville posters can join this conversation in a few days or so cause you all soak that title up and this conversation right now can wait while you all cherish that title. The Lamar & Charleston posters are plentiful and you all can chime in. Below are some of my thoughts and not really even rankings in any order cause I think most know this is going to be a crazy competitive conference from 1-6 seeds next year. Not saying it will be the best conference next season, but merely that there should be very close games all season long from almost top to bottom. I am not sure someone will go undefeated in league play how competitive it will be. To do so is probably going to take a team winning all 3 or 4 close games they play cause it will take a lot of good bounces to see someone go 7-0 in the conference. There is also going to be a pretty decent team miss the playoffs which is not usually the case in the world of 5 teams get in the playoffs, however again I think that speaks to the depth we will see.

Booneville- This senior class is literally the definition of unreplaceable in just one years time for anyone that knows the slightest about small town football cause they were that good. I am sure in the coming years soon another class will come through cause we are talking about Booneville aren't we and their tradition? I may be stubbornly saying this, but I still will see them as the favorite until someone beats them next year. Because of that tradition we all know even if Booneville falls back to the pack a little that coaching, toughness, and tradition will see them through at least a decent season. Their JH did not win the conference in JH, but was solid. I imagine they'll have to balance their starters more between the grades next year as opposed to being so senior heavy this year. They'll need fresh faces to step in and get it done.

Lamar- The reason I said I was stubborn for sticking with Booneville as the favorite cause I probably should have put Lamar as favorite. They could easily prove me wrong though. They return plenty and had a solid JH too so they can sprinkle in depth next year. They made it to the quarterfinals so you would think anything less than that would be a disappointment. This looks to be their last year in 3A so you know they will be going hard for that conference title cause they will do fine in the 4-4A in 2020 and moving forward, but it will be much harder to win conference there.

Mansfield- Mansfield I am not sure what to think as much. They have so much potential offensively with their QB and two key WR's back. Their play in the trenches is a worry cause it hurts them stopping the run as well as running the ball for them on offense. I think they are a team who could swing up or even down in the conference. They won a lot of close games and sometimes that cycles in the wrong way for you. However, they also have the best potential of the best offense in the conference so again not really sure what place they end up.

Greenland- I don't think they have the fire power to get into the top 2 in this conference. They lose their key RB, but they split their carries between guys so much as a team and that one WR they use all over the field in multiple ways is back for them. He is a very smart & crafty player and they'll need him big time next year to stay in the top 3 or 4 in the conference like they want to.

Charleston- this next year for Charleston is massive, every school no matter the dominance it has an off year from time to time. 2019 will be their chance at redeeming this year. I think if they get the QB situation figured out and the line firing you know their skill positions will bring it. They always have that so they need that QB and line to come along. That's so much easier said than done at the small high school level obviously though. I think they can get it done. I see them in the top 3 before I see them at 5 again.

Cedarville- simply by default of them finishing at 6th, I see them and Charleston with the highest potential upsides based off merely where they finished this year. Back to back JH conference titles and some better play at the end of the year gives them some hopes. That one RB in JH is incredible and they will need him immediately to step up to put more firepower in their running game. A school like Cedarville has virtually no history or tradition so seeing how that JH progresses is more interesting than your normal traditional powers who just plug in year after year.

West Fork- I won't have much to say about the last two teams, but West Fork I hope improves its roster numbers to be more competitive with the top 6 teams in 2019. I am fairly certain their QB returns and he can throw a pretty decent ball. Maybe some more athletes from other sports join to give him some help on the outside?

Paris-pretty much the same goes for them as West Fork, you can only hope in the new coaches second year gets some more kids out and consistency to help them be more competitive with the top of the league.

AtmaVegeta

Do you happen to have (or know where to find) the JR results-records for the conference?  I tried finding but could never find it.

rattlerfan17

December 08, 2018, 08:01:23 pm #2 Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:35:46 pm by rattlerfan17
Booneville loses several important players, however, Robertson and Schlinker are just juniors. I could see the Cats making another good run next year as well. Talent leaving, sure, but more coming up and some key pieces staying in place.

beach bum

December 08, 2018, 08:09:12 pm #3 Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:13:51 pm by beach bum
Quote from: AtmaVegeta on December 08, 2018, 07:56:09 pm
Do you happen to have (or know where to find) the JR results-records for the conference?  I tried finding but could never find it.

I do not know the exact standings but I do know that Cedarville won it then Lamar, Booneville, and Charleston were a cut above West Fork, Greenland, Paris, and Mansfield.

Coach Jones from Lamar occasionally posts on here and maybe he will have the exact standings and their conference record from JH 2018?

Lamar & Charleston have had good groups the last two years in JH and Booneville was not in the conference until this year, but good as well. This Lamar JH will be 4A by the time they are upperclassmen in high school so it will be tougher even though they are extremely talented. Overall, the talent is solid across the board by 3A JH standards.

AtmaVegeta

Quote from: rattlerfan17 on December 08, 2018, 08:01:23 pm
Booneville loses several important players, however, Robertson and Ulmer are just juniors. I could see the Cats making another good run next year as well. Talent leaving, sure, but more coming up and some key pieces staying in place. Have to remember that Ulmer (starting QB) didnt play all season, so that position will see another good player that has senior experience next year.

Ulmer is a senior.  Schlinker (sp?) the backup turned starter is back next year.

beach bum

Quote from: AtmaVegeta on December 08, 2018, 08:12:41 pm

Ulmer is a senior.  Schlinker (sp?) the backup turned starter is back next year.

That's what I thought is they only return one or maybe two of their key pieces? It's Booneville playing at the 3A level so you know its not dropping off the map, but I just don't know how you replace that much talent in just one year from a special group like that. I'll still take them as favorite in the conference cause the gap was so wide from the rest, but I am not sure they can go unblemished again. It's going to make for an enjoyable & competitive conference though.

Coach Jones

December 08, 2018, 08:55:53 pm #6 Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:57:53 pm by Coach Jones
Booneville looses a bunch but should still be pretty loaded with talent.
Mansfield, cedarville look to have their best teams in recent history.
Charleston got it figured out at the end, or at least against us, and return most everything.
Greenland returns one of the most explosive players in the conference.

Even though we lost a very good Sr class we return a very solid core of players.
Jr high
1. Cedarville.  Won close games vs Lamar and Booneville.  Booneville's best player was hurt. And when I say best player I mean the best player in the conference. 

Runner up
Lamar and Booneville.  Booneville won tiebreaker(a healthy Ray ran for 275)

Paris and Charleston were both really good and probably within a touchdown of anyone.

Others struggled this year.

On a side note.  Lamar has a chance to stay down one more cycle, then probably goes up and stays there.  The numbers are on a 3 year average.

beach bum

Thank you for the info as always Coach.... And my word will the Ray's ever stop producing FB's  :o

rattlerfan17

Quote from: AtmaVegeta on December 08, 2018, 08:12:41 pm

Ah my bad. i was misinformed lol.

Coach Jones

The 9th grade Ray kid is more of a running back/QB

nastynice

December 09, 2018, 07:32:17 am #10 Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:03:25 pm by nastynice
Quote from: beach bum on December 08, 2018, 09:27:40 pm
Thank you for the info as always Coach.... And my word will the Ray's ever stop producing FB's  :o

Nope. There's one in 7th grade also that's bigger than all his brothers.  In 2021 there will be 3 Rays in the backfield.

Edit: Forgot about a couple Rays moving back from Greenwood next year   

nastynice

Quote from: beach bum on December 08, 2018, 08:17:00 pm

That's what I thought is they only return one or maybe two of their key pieces? It's Booneville playing at the 3A level so you know its not dropping off the map, but I just don't know how you replace that much talent in just one year from a special group like that. I'll still take them as favorite in the conference cause the gap was so wide from the rest, but I am not sure they can go unblemished again. It's going to make for an enjoyable & competitive conference though.

Booneville had several key seniors this year, but at any given time in a game we'd have 4-5 JRs on both sides of the ball.  We'll lose a lot but we'll be a lot better than you think.  Mark it down.

knownothingboutfallball

It showed yesterday with that all senior O Line was dominate going to be hard to replace that many

elmerfudd

If I counted correctly, Booneville should return roughly half of the defense and maybe 4-5 starters on offense. That O-line will be tough to replace, but there are several sophomores with high potential that could turn into real studs and continue roadgrading defensive linemen the same way these seniors did.

knownothingboutfallball

Quote from: elmerfudd on December 09, 2018, 02:30:47 pm
If I counted correctly, Booneville should return roughly half of the defense and maybe 4-5 starters on offense. That O-line will be tough to replace, but there are several sophomores with high potential that could turn into real studs and continue roadgrading defensive linemen the same way these seniors did.
It's hard to replace a whole line

nastynice

Quote from: knownothingboutfallball on December 09, 2018, 02:50:11 pm
It's hard to replace a whole line

Won't have to. Two of them were juniors. Turkey and Pirraglia.

And Pirraglia has the potential to be one of the best OL Booneville has ever had.

elmerfudd

elmerfudd

Any chance Mizell plays both ways next year?

nastynice

Quote from: elmerfudd on December 09, 2018, 03:31:41 pm
Any chance Mizell plays both ways next year?

Possible, but who knows this far out.  But I'll bet right now we'll be a lot better than people think.

beach bum

Thanks for the good input as always elmerfudd and nastynice. I think you both made really good points. I figured there would be some new lineman step up in place of the ones that graduate. A lot about line play is simply how bad kids want to be good at it and their toughness. You know Booneville is going to just be a cut above when it comes to that intensity in the line play year after year.

elmerfudd

Quote from: beach bum on December 09, 2018, 06:59:54 pm
Thanks for the good input as always elmerfudd and nastynice. I think you both made really good points. I figured there would be some new lineman step up in place of the ones that graduate. A lot about line play is simply how bad kids want to be good at it and their toughness. You know Booneville is going to just be a cut above when it comes to that intensity in the line play year after year.

Exactly. Some of the best linemen to pass through here, on either side of the ball, have been some of the smallest ones out there.

Coach Jones

And the backup (Booneville) fullback racked off a 60 yard run in the state championship and had a ton of tackles. 

OLDSCHOOL82

The Cats will be ok.  Better than most would assume after graduating what we are graduating.  We will be fine at fullback with Brasher.  Hate to lose Ray, but Cam will do well.  Qb got a year under his belt due to injury so he will be ready to return and will more than likely have more size on him.  A talented Halfback will return as well.  2 O linemen will return.  Offense fill ins.  Ray will more than likely fill the other half back position as a sophomore.  The line...We wont have the luxury next season to pretty much have a dedicated o line and d line.  To put our best product out will require some linemen going both ways.  Will return one linebacker, 2 d linemen (one rolled in and out), one d end, one from the secondary.  Secondary will be rounded out with a sophomore and junior I would imagine with the third being up in the air.  Theres another Jr linebacker who got several snaps this season and will do fine.  D end is up in the air.....Basically...the cats should do just fine after some practice time and working out personell combos.

knownothingboutfallball

From what I've read Booneville has one of the top O Limeman returning in the state in all classes

CatPride

Quote from: Coach Jones on December 10, 2018, 09:28:45 am
And the backup (Booneville) fullback racked off a 60 yard run in the state championship and had a ton of tackles.
Not bad to be his 2nd carry of the year. I'm pretty sure he led the team in tackles this year.

beach bum

Hootens came out and has it this way and I am shocked by some of the picks.... I see some good battles 1-6 where an off night or sluggish game by a favored team could result in an upset or two. We saw it last year with Charleston beating Lamar, Greenland beating Charleston, and Cedarville beating Mansfield

1-Booneville
2-Mansfield (I did not expect this and #9 overall in 3A, I personally think that's too high)
3-Lamar- (I expected them ranked better than this)
4-Charleston
5-Cedarville
6-Greenland
7-Paris
8-West Fork

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: beach bum on June 23, 2019, 09:48:06 pm
1-Booneville
2-Mansfield (I did not expect this and #9 overall in 3A, I personally think that's too high)
3-Lamar- (I expected them ranked better than this)
4-Charleston
5-Cedarville
6-Greenland
7-Paris
8-West Fork

With Mansfield's numbers issues, they are going to be on the thin edge for injury problems. I figure Doc is fine with modest expectations.

doggieskoot2

Cedarville is the dark horse here.   They have back to back Jr High Conf Championships.  Has to relate at some point.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: doggieskoot2 on June 24, 2019, 03:28:50 pm
Cedarville is the dark horse here.   They have back to back Jr High Conf Championships.  Has to relate at some point.

Yes, they make me nervous.

MICHAELSPAPPY

How many new head coaches in the conference? Chuck and Mansfield. Who else?

CantDrive055

Has Mansfield made a hire?

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: beach bum on December 08, 2018, 06:05:37 pm
Lamar- The reason I said I was stubborn for sticking with Booneville as the favorite cause I probably should have put Lamar as favorite. They could easily prove me wrong though. They return plenty and had a solid JH too so they can sprinkle in depth next year. They made it to the quarterfinals so you would think anything less than that would be a disappointment. This looks to be their last year in 3A so you know they will be going hard for that conference title cause they will do fine in the 4-4A in 2020 and moving forward, but it will be much harder to win conference there.

Anything less than the quarterfinals definitely would be a disappointment. They will have some strengths, but a few holes. The QB loss will not affect them as much as you might think. Replacement is very small but very quick, and a good enough passer to get by. Running game should be more than solid. Pass defense should be as good as it has been in several years. Defensive line may need some work, but linebackers and secondary are solid.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Lamar has had more than their share of bad breaks on injuries the last few years. Maybe this year things will break better for us.

TheTruth2010

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on July 05, 2019, 08:17:05 am
Anything less than the quarterfinals definitely would be a disappointment. They will have some strengths, but a few holes. The QB loss will not affect them as much as you might think. Replacement is very small but very quick, and a good enough passer to get by. Running game should be more than solid. Pass defense should be as good as it has been in several years. Defensive line may need some work, but linebackers and secondary are solid.
Am I missing something here? I thought our QB was a Junior last year?

MICHAELSPAPPY

Last year's QB is not playing this year.

TheTruth2010

beach bum

It's kind of a slow time before scrimmages fire up in a little less than 2 weeks, but what are everyone's thoughts on how the 1-3A teams will fair in non conference? Scrimmages aren't everything, but that may give people more insight of their teams if they at least get a small glimpse of their first units getting a small dose of playing time in a little over a week. After that people may know more. But here are my 2 cents below

Booneville- they have a really tough non conference schedule for a 3A school and the toughest in the conference for sure with Charleston's schedule also, and if they get through it 3-0 again I think that pretty much cements their place as the heavy favorite again in conference. With a bunch of new starters it would not shock me if they drop either Pottsville or definitely the Ozark game. Even if they do drop one that is not too bad at all considering how tough that is for non conference. Their non conference slate is very intriguing to see how they fair as they look to rebuild their rolling machine. I may be a little stubborn here considering the tough matchups, but I'll take them to go 3-0 again until they prove me wrong and its not smart to pick against them either.

Lamar- their Danville game is the only game that will really tell us much about Lamar. No jab to JC Westside and Subiaco Academy but they are some of the worst teams in the state and don't really do much for Lamar as tests except allow maybe some young players to get extra playing time. I'll take Lamar in another close win against Danville and to start 3-0

Mansfield- Not really a test for Mansfield in their first 3 games. I expect Waldron to be quite bad again and Lavaca and Hackett are just average to ok 2A schools. Hackett won't even be as good as last year so I predict Mansfield an easy 3-0 start and we won't know anything about them really until their 5th game against Greenland.

Greenland- They have 3 games which all are winnable, but could drop 2 of them as well in my opinion. This is a pretty good schedule as far as they should all 3 be competitive. Elkins will not be as good as last year so I think Greenland wins this year. I think Greenland will have too much fire power for Mountainburg and win that too even though Mountainburg is definitely a cut above Hackett or Lavaca who are on Mansfield's schedule. Gentry will be the best game on Greenland's schedule on the toughest test I think. I think Greenland can win a close one there. If they go 3-0 I think Greenland may put themselves in the conversation for pushing for a home playoff game. A 1-2 start which could also happen could lead us to believe Greenland may be scraping even for a playoff berth.

Charleston- this schedule is brutal also and with the Tigers on a bit of a down cycle this is just too much for them too handle. I think Dardanelle and Ozark beat them even though that is not bad considering those two will finish in the top 2 or 3 in the 4-4A.... Charleston should beat Melbourne again although it will be somewhat competitive probably. I'll pick a 1-2 start. A win against Dardy or the Hillbillies then expect a good year for the new HC in year one. Their non conference is really intriguing as well to watch

Cedarville- outside of Mountainburg not a whole lot will tell us about them until they play Lamar the first conference game. JC Westside and Bigelow should be easy wins if they expect a solid year. I think they have enough now to navigate their rival game against Mountainburg and start 3-0 too. They have to beat Mountainburg finally to get over the hump and to finally think about solid playoff positioning.

West Fork-I expect them to lose to Elkins and Berryville for sure. The game in my opinion that will tell us if they are more competitive is if they can beat Green Forest or not. If they can get by them I think it will show some improvement. I still am not sure if West Fork has enough to beat them considering Green Forest has at least some talented 10th graders they bring up. I hate to predict this, but I will still say an 0-3 start. I hope they can prove me wrong though.

Paris-I expect Clarksville beats them easily. There games against Perryville and Waldron are critical to help build confidence for their young roster and they lost both last year. They could go either way this year and I'll predict a split there this year to get a win for a 1-2 start. Again, they could easily go 0-3 or 2-1 even so I think their non conference schedule is good to give us an insight about them as to whether they can win a couple conference games or not this season.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: beach bum on August 11, 2019, 12:40:34 pm
It's kind of a slow time before scrimmages fire up in a little less than 2 weeks, but what are everyone's thoughts on how the 1-3A teams will fair in non conference? Scrimmages aren't everything, but that may give people more insight of their teams if they at least get a small glimpse of their first units getting a small dose of playing time in a little over a week. After that people may know more. But here are my 2 cents below

Booneville- they have a really tough non conference schedule for a 3A school and the toughest in the conference for sure with Charleston's schedule also, and if they get through it 3-0 again I think that pretty much cements their place as the heavy favorite again in conference. With a bunch of new starters it would not shock me if they drop either Pottsville or definitely the Ozark game. Even if they do drop one that is not too bad at all considering how tough that is for non conference. Their non conference slate is very intriguing to see how they fair as they look to rebuild their rolling machine. I may be a little stubborn here considering the tough matchups, but I'll take them to go 3-0 again until they prove me wrong and its not smart to pick against them either.

Lamar- their Danville game is the only game that will really tell us much about Lamar. No jab to JC Westside and Subiaco Academy but they are some of the worst teams in the state and don't really do much for Lamar as tests except allow maybe some young players to get extra playing time. I'll take Lamar in another close win against Danville and to start 3-0

Mansfield- Not really a test for Mansfield in their first 3 games. I expect Waldron to be quite bad again and Lavaca and Hackett are just average to ok 2A schools. Hackett won't even be as good as last year so I predict Mansfield an easy 3-0 start and we won't know anything about them really until their 5th game against Greenland.

Greenland- They have 3 games which all are winnable, but could drop 2 of them as well in my opinion. This is a pretty good schedule as far as they should all 3 be competitive. Elkins will not be as good as last year so I think Greenland wins this year. I think Greenland will have too much fire power for Mountainburg and win that too even though Mountainburg is definitely a cut above Hackett or Lavaca who are on Mansfield's schedule. Gentry will be the best game on Greenland's schedule on the toughest test I think. I think Greenland can win a close one there. If they go 3-0 I think Greenland may put themselves in the conversation for pushing for a home playoff game. A 1-2 start which could also happen could lead us to believe Greenland may be scraping even for a playoff berth.

Charleston- this schedule is brutal also and with the Tigers on a bit of a down cycle this is just too much for them too handle. I think Dardanelle and Ozark beat them even though that is not bad considering those two will finish in the top 2 or 3 in the 4-4A.... Charleston should beat Melbourne again although it will be somewhat competitive probably. I'll pick a 1-2 start. A win against Dardy or the Hillbillies then expect a good year for the new HC in year one. Their non conference is really intriguing as well to watch

Cedarville- outside of Mountainburg not a whole lot will tell us about them until they play Lamar the first conference game. JC Westside and Bigelow should be easy wins if they expect a solid year. I think they have enough now to navigate their rival game against Mountainburg and start 3-0 too. They have to beat Mountainburg finally to get over the hump and to finally think about solid playoff positioning.

West Fork-I expect them to lose to Elkins and Berryville for sure. The game in my opinion that will tell us if they are more competitive is if they can beat Green Forest or not. If they can get by them I think it will show some improvement. I still am not sure if West Fork has enough to beat them considering Green Forest has at least some talented 10th graders they bring up. I hate to predict this, but I will still say an 0-3 start. I hope they can prove me wrong though.

Paris-I expect Clarksville beats them easily. There games against Perryville and Waldron are critical to help build confidence for their young roster and they lost both last year. They could go either way this year and I'll predict a split there this year to get a win for a 1-2 start. Again, they could easily go 0-3 or 2-1 even so I think their non conference schedule is good to give us an insight about them as to whether they can win a couple conference games or not this season.
Thanks for the in-depth analysis.

beach bum

August 12, 2019, 11:51:04 am #39 Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:00:07 pm by beach bum
Quote from: CoolBreeze on August 11, 2019, 02:12:21 pm
Thanks for the in-depth analysis.

It's so dull for about 2 more weeks so I had to come up with something.... It's always fun to see what conferences exceed expectations in the non conference schedule and what games just shock us all when a result comes in where we see that a school may either overachieve or underachieve a certain programs expectations. In the 1-3A I am really looking forward to seeing Charleston and Booneville's games vs their 4-4A opponents.... and then Lamar vs Danville is such a close, competitive matchup. The other non conference games in 3A in general which will be great are

Clinton vs Heber Springs (will Clinton drop off a little or a lot? Or can they stay as top 10 team in 3A)

Harding Academy vs Heber Springs (it gives Clinton and Harding a base line judgment for each other)

Newport vs Lonoke (Lonoke is expected to be improved and will test Newport)

Osceola vs all 3 of its non conference opponents (it will tell us if they are a title contender again)

Glen Rose vs Bauxite

Camden HG vs Junction City

Smackover vs Junction City

Prescott vs Rison  :o (this could be replayed in December)

Mcgehee vs Dumas

CoolBreeze

Quote from: beach bum on August 12, 2019, 11:51:04 am
It's so dull for about 2 more weeks so I had to come up with something.... It's always fun to see what conferences exceed expectations in the non conference schedule and what games just shock us all when a result comes in where we see that a school may either overachieve or underachieve a certain programs expectations. In the 1-3A I am really looking forward to seeing Charleston and Booneville's games vs their 4-4A opponents.... and then Lamar vs Danville is such a close, competitive matchup. The other non conference games in 3A in general which will be great are

Clinton vs Heber Springs (will Clinton drop off a little or a lot? Or can they stay as top 10 team in 3A)

Harding Academy vs Heber Springs (it gives Clinton and Harding a base line judgment for each other)

Newport vs Lonoke (Lonoke is expected to be improved and will test Newport)

Osceola vs all 3 of its non conference opponents (it will tell us if they are a title contender again)

Glen Rose vs Bauxite

Camden HG vs Junction City

Smackover vs Junction City

Prescott vs Rison  :o (this could be replayed in December)

Mcgehee vs Dumas
I agree that the respective games of Clinton and Harding academy against 4A Heber Springs should give some indication as to how they match up against each other. But it didn't work that way last year. Both defeated HS by 2 points. Yet, Clinton beat HA by 3 touchdowns.

Also, the two games vs. JC should give an indication as to whether Smackover and CHG are as good as expected.

MICHAELSPAPPY

This year at least ought to be a little more interesting than last year was. Several assumptions, but a lot of questions, also:

1. Will Booneville be as good as we expect, or are we just assuming and will the big talent exit have an effect?
2. Can Mansfield's offensive talent overcome their shortcomings elsewhere?
3. Can Doc nudge Lamar up a notch from last season before they leave for 4A?
4. Cedarville had back to back good jr. hi. classes. Will that carry them into the top tier?
5. How much effect does the culture change have at Chucktown?
6. Does either West Fork or Paris have enough horses for some surprises?
7. And, as always, who gets hit by injuries?

beach bum

August 18, 2019, 02:39:16 pm #42 Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 03:16:25 pm by beach bum
Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on August 18, 2019, 02:04:30 pm
This year at least ought to be a little more interesting than last year was. Several assumptions, but a lot of questions, also:

1. Will Booneville be as good as we expect, or are we just assuming and will the big talent exit have an effect?
2. Can Mansfield's offensive talent overcome their shortcomings elsewhere?
3. Can Doc nudge Lamar up a notch from last season before they leave for 4A?
4. Cedarville had back to back good jr. hi. classes. Will that carry them into the top tier?
5. How much effect does the culture change have at Chucktown?
6. Does either West Fork or Paris have enough horses for some surprises?
7. And, as always, who gets hit by injuries?

Your #7 I am hearing has already taken a hit in Chucktown.... Plus they don't have as big of a roster as usual, but they may be down a key player or two for injuries already. That always stinks to hear and I can't believe I am saying this but they may be looking to being in a scrap to make the playoffs or barely get in even. They play Greenland and Cedarville the first couple conference games so they have to get at least a split there or go 2-0 to start or they will be in a big hole. I just can't see them going 0-2 there and finding a way to 4 conference wins.... Channel 5 News said that West Fork is moving from a pass oriented spread to the run option so that should at least slow the game down some for them. Paris has solid 10th graders, but that will only go so far. In 3A, if one of your couple star players goes out or multiple lineman, or something like that its just hard to overcome that's for sure.

All I know is there is going to be one solid team miss the playoffs in this conference cause on paper six teams look pretty salty. I think Greenland and Cedarville will be better than some are expecting as they were picked 5th and 6th  in Hootens. Plus Charleston still has a tradition rich program to carry them. Then throw in last years already proven top 3 for a pretty competitive league for 3A standards. I look at leagues like the 2-3A, 3-3A, 4-3A, and 6-3A and they have some great teams at the top this year, but they they don't have a middle of the pack this strong as a conference to test the top teams more on a nightly basis like the 1-3A. Only the 5-3A can claim superiority in my opinion. One of the top teams gets caught napping on the wrong night and they catch themselves in a close ball game all of a sudden this year.

beach bum

Even though scrimmages/benefit games still got to kick off I'm going to start a 1-3A Week 0 thread for when the real deal gets started... It will come sooner than we all think.

beach bum

The playoff bracket is out and the 1-3A got the toughest draw of any conference in my opinion... unless strange upsets happen conference champ will clash with the 5-3A champ as soon as the quarterfinals... the 2 seed likely to Rison in the 2nd round, and the 3 seed traveling to Osceola round 2. The 4 seed draws the 2 seed from the 5-3A in round 1 and the 5 seed the champ of the 5-3A in round 1... probably means tough sledding for the 1-3A to place more than 1 team past the 2nd round

nastynice

Quote from: beach bum on September 05, 2019, 03:20:18 pm
The playoff bracket is out and the 1-3A got the toughest draw of any conference in my opinion... unless strange upsets happen conference champ will clash with the 5-3A champ as soon as the quarterfinals... the 2 seed likely to Rison in the 2nd round, and the 3 seed traveling to Osceola round 2. The 4 seed draws the 2 seed from the 5-3A in round 1 and the 5 seed the champ of the 5-3A in round 1... probably means tough sledding for the 1-3A to place more than 1 team past the 2nd round

Toughest draw for the #2-#4 seeds.  #1 at home throughout sounds great.  Hopefully Preskitt will be heading north for a rematch!

beach bum

Quote from: nastynice on September 05, 2019, 04:49:23 pm
Toughest draw for the #2-#4 seeds.  #1 at home throughout sounds great.  Hopefully Preskitt will be heading north for a rematch!

I saw that potential Booneville vs Prescott rematch in the quarters...  and the home field again would be amazing

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas