• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 5A State Championship(GIRLS): Huntsville vs. Paragould(VOTE)

Started by Brian G, March 11, 2014, 05:33:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins?

Huntsville
25 (44.6%)
Paragould
31 (55.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: March 14, 2014, 05:58:54 pm

Brian G

Details to come.

Brian G

Game will be Fri or Sat and will announced on Wed around noon.

sevenof400

That Huntsville made it to the championship game tells me they either made some serious improvement over the last few games or the draw has been very kind to them. 

leaglebb

Huntsville is the only team to beat two No 1 seeds to get to the final.  Paragould is a legitimate good team, but look at their draw of teams before making this comment.  Vilonia was the only serious W and they barely won that game.  Huntsville is legit.

Go Postal

Paragould looks like a very good team.  I was surprised that Vilonia lost.  Without look back to conference season, I believe that Huntsville beat Vilonia once.  This is a chance for Huntsville to shine, not only making it to the 5A finals (before moving back to 4A next cycle), but to possible play the best game in the 5A that they have ever done.  Most people will probably pick Paragould as the favorite, that is understandable.  Being biased, I had to pick Huntsville as the underdog.

leaglebb

Huntsville actually lost to Vilonia twice during the season.  At home on colors night they lost by 4 pts.  The girls were completely flat due to all the festivities associated with the colors day ceremonies.  At Vilonia they were beat by about 20, but Huntsville had been out of school with limited practices for something like 17 days and might as well forfeited the game to save the gas down there.  Once they got back in school they have been steadily improving.  At one time Huntsville was the No 1 ranked team statewide in 5A and are peaking at the right time.  Should be a good game.

razorsharp94

Huntsville did lose to Vilonia twice as stated before. The game at home vs Vilonia was lost when they went on a 14-0 run they went from a 10-8 deficit to a 22-10 lead. Huntsville cut into that lead to the point they were down three with the ball and turned it over. That was it. With the methodical style that Vilonia plays you will be hard pressed to come back from a large deficit.

Huntsville does have some good wins though. They beat Farmington pretty handily. They also beat Bentonville @ Bentonville, who finished 2nd in the 7A West. They beat Harrison handily at home. Both PA and Hot Springs would have been considered the favorite. At the time Huntsville would have been considered the underdog but in both games they were the better team. They are playing the best ball of their year at the right time.

sevenof400

Quote from: leaglebb on March 11, 2014, 10:01:44 pm
Huntsville is the only team to beat two No 1 seeds to get to the final.  Paragould is a legitimate good team, but look at their draw of teams before making this comment.  Vilonia was the only serious W and they barely won that game.  Huntsville is legit.

So what you're telling me Leaglebb, is that Huntsville is playing better as of late (i.e. since their 2nd game with Vilonia).  Let's be fair, the Huntsville team we saw at Vilonia and the one playing now (at the end of the season) are two significantly different teams.  Seeing teams so infrequently throughout the year doesn't always provide the fullest perspective and I certainly acknowledge the weather this winter played havoc on some teams (in terms of disrupting their routines).

Full marks to the Huntsville ladies for stepping up their game and best of luck in Hot Springs!

MDXPHD

Huntsville has had a kind draw in the tournament.  Paragould will win this game.

Forrest City H

If the crew of officials intend for Paragould to win this game, as they did against Vilonia - for whatever reason - then Huntsville has no chance.  Vilonia was called for 25 fouls, and Paragould, the more physical team was called for 8 fouls the entire game.  The 103.7 Buzz crew were even talking about how puzzling it was.  There were numerous outright "cheating" calls throughout that were just jaw dropping. It continued right to the end, when Vilonia was mauled on a shot with 27 seconds left trailing by 2.  Such a shame for a crew of officials to do what they did to a bunch of innocent hard working young ladies, whatever your reasons were.   

razorsharp94

Quote from: MDXPHD on March 12, 2014, 09:52:14 am
Huntsville has had a kind draw in the tournament.  Paragould will win this game.

They had such a kind draw that they beat the same PA team that Paragould lost to. Also Huntsville handled GCT with relative ease where u didn't. I will give it to u that's an obvious rivalry.

leaglebb

Quote from: Forrest City H on March 12, 2014, 09:54:25 am
If the crew of officials intend for Paragould to win this game, as they did against Vilonia - for whatever reason - then Huntsville has no chance.  Vilonia was called for 25 fouls, and Paragould, the more physical team was called for 8 fouls the entire game.  The 103.7 Buzz crew were even talking about how puzzling it was.  There were numerous outright "cheating" calls throughout that were just jaw dropping. It continued right to the end, when Vilonia was mauled on a shot with 27 seconds left trailing by 2.  Such a shame for a crew of officials to do what they did to a bunch of innocent hard working young ladies, whatever your reasons were.

This is what I'm the most concerned with.  The officiating has been terrible in the prelims for both us and our opponents.  Both Huntsville and Paragould deserve the game to be played out between them without the officials effecting the outcome.  The officiating grade so far is a failing grade.  "F"

leaglebb

Especially the old white guy in our last two games.  If he's not the worst official in the state, then he's tied with someone.

Bullethead

Note: PA beat Paragould before Christmas when Layrock was out with a concussion.

razorsharp94

Note:  One of Huntsville's starters has been out since just after Christmas with a torn ACL. It's all relative.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Bullethead on March 12, 2014, 12:23:42 pm
Note: PA beat Paragould before Christmas when Layrock was out with a concussion.

Layrock is extremely important to Paragould. 

Quote from: razorsharp94 on March 12, 2014, 12:00:37 pm

They had such a kind draw that they beat the same PA team that Paragould lost to. Also Huntsville handled GCT with relative ease where u didn't. I will give it to u that's an obvious rivalry.

Comparing teams is useless.  If you're halfway knowledgeable about any sport then you know this. Also, I am not from Paragould. I'm insulted that you would even think that.

razorsharp94

Quote from: MDXPHD on March 12, 2014, 02:23:13 pm
Quote from: Bullethead on March 12, 2014, 12:23:42 pm
Layrock is extremely important to Paragould. 

Quote from: razorsharp94 on March 12, 2014, 12:00:37 pm

Comparing teams is useless.  If you're halfway knowledgeable about any sport then you know this. Also, I am not from Paragould. I'm insulted that you would even think that.

I can tell this is going to be a fun few days. And you're right I don't have a clue about sports

ahsalum

Quote from: razorsharp94 on March 12, 2014, 02:28:37 pm

And you're right I don't have a clue about sports

Admitting....is the first step to recovery.

Better leave the "sports thing" to your wife.

blackhawkdown

razorsharp94

Quote from: Steve Perry on March 12, 2014, 03:18:41 pm
Quote from: razorsharp94 on March 12, 2014, 02:28:37 pm

And you're right I don't have a clue about sports

Admitting....is the first step to recovery.

Better leave the "sports thing" to your wife.

Well played "Steve Perry" I'm impressed. Turns out you do have a friend.

DogsWin7

He has many friends... Glad everyone is a happpppyyyy!! 

DogsWin7

I agree.   

Go Postal

I really thought that Vilonia and Huntsville would be in this final game, but I also thought that Paragould could be in it.  Though I still think that Vilonia is the better team of the three and for whatever reason, it didn't happen.  So it comes down to Paragould vs Huntsville, East vs West.  Both teams are good.  Played hard to get this far.  Congrats to both of them.  You are now the two best teams in the girls 5A state.  I wish the best of luck to both of them.

That said,

I voted for Harrison's local rival, Huntsville on their last hurrah before they go back in the 4A.  Good team.  (side note:  even though LRCA, Maumelle and Farmington will be coming to the 5A next cycle, Vilonia and Harrison should be breathing a "small" sigh of relief with Huntsville leaving.) ;)

leaglebb

Quote from: Go Postal on March 12, 2014, 11:18:00 pm
I really thought that Vilonia and Huntsville would be in this final game, but I also thought that Paragould could be in it.  Though I still think that Vilonia is the better team of the three and for whatever reason, it didn't happen.  So it comes down to Paragould vs Huntsville, East vs West.  Both teams are good.  Played hard to get this far.  Congrats to both of them.  You are now the two best teams in the girls 5A state.  I wish the best of luck to both of them.

That said,

I voted for Harrison's local rival, Huntsville on their last hurrah before they go back in the 4A.  Good team.  (side note:  even though LRCA, Maumelle and Farmington will be coming to the 5A next cycle, Vilonia and Harrison should be breathing a "small" sigh of relief with Huntsville leaving.) ;)
[/quote

This is especially true since Huntsville is going to be very strong next year with seven seniors who are very experienced.  Probably have a case for being ranked No. 1 in the 4A to start the year.

razorsharp94

Not appropriate.

NEA Razorback olfan

March 14, 2014, 01:15:29 pm #26 Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:17:05 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: leaglebb on March 12, 2014, 11:45:28 pm

That said,

[/quote

This is especially true since Huntsville is going to be very strong next year with seven seniors who are very experienced.  Probably have a case for being ranked No. 1 in the 4A to start the year.

I've seen Farmington play, no relief there for the 5A!!
In 4A Brookland Returns almost everyone from State Quaterfinals !!
Also won the Beebe tourney beating PA and Beebe.
CAC has Sydnie Jones returning / Ozark looked tough !!

I'm sure Coach Jared Richey from Brookland would be glad to play Huntsville next year!!

leaglebb

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 14, 2014, 01:15:29 pm
Quote from: leaglebb on March 12, 2014, 11:45:28 pm

That said,

[/quote

I've seen Farmington play, no relief there for the 5A!!
In 4A Brookland Returns almost everyone from State Quaterfinals !!
Also won the Beebe tourney beating PA and Beebe.
CAC has Sydnie Jones returning / Ozark looked tough !!

I'm sure Coach Jared Richey from Brookland would be glad to play Huntsville next year!!

Never heard of them.  Good scrimmage game for Huntsville to get ready for conference. 

leaglebb

My apologies to Brookland as I'm sure they are a worthy opponent and maybe we could play in the tournament next year.
Go Lady Eagles today and I wish I could be there.  Will be listening on the radio.  Too far for an old man.

NEA Razorback olfan

NEA Razorback olfan

March 15, 2014, 08:59:47 pm #30 Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:02:33 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: leaglebb on March 15, 2014, 08:13:01 am
My apologies to Brookland as I'm sure they are a worthy opponent and maybe we could play in the tournament next year.
Go Lady Eagles today and I wish I could be there.  Will be listening on the radio.  Too far for an old man.

Not a problem , Brookland is in Northeast Arkansas in case you were wondering
Boys are the 4A State Champs and Girls 29-6 Lost to State Runner up CAC , in the State Quaterfinals / started 2 sophs 2 jr and 1 sr

But this thread is about 5A State Champion Paragould Lady Rams!!
Congrats from Brookland!!

Batman44

Got to watch the game. Congrats to Paragould!! Great game, and great win.

Brian G

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas