• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discuss the Round 12 games in the 5A West (Feb 21) here!

Started by sevenof400, February 20, 2014, 07:28:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

Vilonia @ Alma         
Greenbrier @ Shiloh     
Harrison @ Clarksville
Huntsville @ Morrilton

On the girls side, an interesting twist of the schedule begins now.  With Alma and Greenbrier each facing Vilonia (in rounds 12 and 13), the last playoff spot on the girls side may be at stake come round 14 when Alma and Greenbrier meet.  Haven't we heard this before?????  Of course, Shiloh will also weigh in on this decision as well.  One thing is for sure, the schedule won't make a difference between Alma and Greenbrier.

On the boys side, Vilonia @ Alma will give one team a level of control on a playoff spot.  Alma could place a firm grasp on a spot while a Vilonia victory needs to be by 10 (or more) to place an equally firm grasp on a playoff spot. 

Not to be overlooked is Harrison @ Clarksville.  How will Clarksville respond to a less than Clarksville like performance at Vilonia?  This year's Clarksville team seems to be much more content to play at a slower pace, and as a result, the Panthers don't look as sharp as last year's team.  And, as RJ noted elsewhere, depth is certainly more of an issue this year as well. 

Go Postal

February 20, 2014, 08:03:31 pm #1 Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:19:22 pm by Go Postal
Refresh my old memory in basketball, when two teams are tied H2H, does it then go to who beat who by as many points in those two games and do those points only go up to 10 or by total points in those two games?  Then overall points difference points kick in?

For instance, let us say that the Lady Goblins and Airedelettes were tied in wins, Alma/Harrison have tied H2H.  Alma girls have more overall winning points on the total points than Harrison in two games, but are tied each at 10 points ceiling in two games, then does it go to total points difference?  Thanks, I have the AAA Handbook around, but I was just wondering on you guys better intellect since this seems to happen every year in the West.

Go Postal

Can the Airedales beat a very good Veagles at home?  Can the Goblins wear down a very good six Panthers there?  Don't know, but should be exciting.  All I know is right now that the Devil Dogs are ;D ing.

sevenof400

While the tiebreakers can get hairy when more than two teams are involved, a two team tiebreaker looks at the following:

1) Head to Head results.

If each team won 1 game, look at the point differential in each game.
The max point differential in a game is 10. 
Offset the point differential, see if that produces a winner.
If still tied, then use 2).

2) Total point differential in all conference wins.
Higher point differential would win.

Now let's look at Alma and Harrison girls as things currently stand after round 11 games.

G1: Alma 59, Harrison 33.  Alma wins by 26, but this exceeds the max point differential of 10, so 10 points (of point differential) for Alma.

G2: Harrison 53, Alma 32.  Harrison wins by 21, but this exceeds the max point differential of 10, so 10 points (of point differential) for Harrison.

At this point, no head to head advantage can be awarded.

Total tiebreaker points for Alma (in all conference wins): 60
Total tiebreaker points for Harrison (in all conference wins): 52

For now, Alma holds the tiebreaker (60-52) but these numbers can change over the course of the next three rounds. 

Go Postal

February 20, 2014, 09:31:53 pm #4 Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:35:30 pm by Go Postal
Thanks seven for kickstarting my memory.  So as I see, at this junction, every team needs to win and by as many points up to 10 to get a playoff spot/seed.  Idn't  that some other sports do it a little different?  Maybe that is why I got confused. ???

Go Postal

February 20, 2014, 09:48:34 pm #5 Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:50:39 pm by Go Postal
BTW sevenof400, I love your signature on that "Sport That Shalt Not Mentioned In Alma".  The US team has been making a Worldwide statement in the past, will make a statement once again to the World.  111 days left until us rebels from the UK start proving to the World once again that you don't f**k with the USA in anything. ;D

Go Postal

February 20, 2014, 10:34:12 pm #6 Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:49:58 pm by Go Postal
I heard this music video when I woke up this morning.  Video wise, I thought of one of the many times that Steve Perry let me come with him on his various adventures.  (might be a nightmare to some).   Steve can sing, but it is us others in the background that makes him great. ;)  Music wise, I thought of all the West teams striving to get to the playoffs and in the playoffs.  One game at a time.  Enjoy...

(Side note:  Though I play multiple instruments, it was nice seeing the plectrum (five string Banjo)(and the Banjo WAS a American invention) in this rock video.  Have to add this song to my banjo playing list.  Old Rocker.)

Forrest City H

yes, wrong thread, but I gotta give a shout out to the Vilonia Jr Lady Eagles, who won a 25-24 district championship thriller in Russellville tonight over Beebe - what a game!    :o

P.F.G.

1-Adam-12

Malloy and Reed have decided to grace Airedale Arena with their presence tonight. Looking forward to an enjoyable game.

wiseman3

1-Adam-12

Vtowneagle

1-Adam-12

hasbeen03

Listening on the radio and it sounds like Clarksville-Harrison is getting heated. Fans from Harrison are not happy with the officiating & coach is giving it to the refs.

1-Adam-12

redvino8

Clarksville ended up winning by ten. Their big man played a heck of a game!!

1-Adam-12

Vtowneagle

1-Adam-12

Alma hit two 3's in a row but Vilonia has fought back with two of their own. 47-46 Alma with 1:30 left, Alma ball.

1-Adam-12

49-48 Alma 15.8 seconds left, Alma ball after Vilonia basket.

Go Postal

February 21, 2014, 09:02:57 pm #21 Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:07:04 pm by Go Postal
Lady Goblins 40
Lady Panthers 29
Final.

Panthers 70
Goblins 60
Final.

via text from sevenof400
Lady Eagles 53
Airedalettes 41
Final.

Airedales 50
Eagles 48
Final. :o

Vtowneagle

According to radio, Vtown had their chance to tie the game, but a foul Valle on Vilonia when they had the ball, not sure what was called.

Go Postal

Lady Goblins 40
Lady Panthers 29
Final.

Panthers 70
Goblins 60
Final.

via text from sevenof400
Lady Eagles 53
Airedalettes 41
Final.

Airedales 50
Eagles 48
Final. :o

1-Adam-12

50-48 Alma wins. 

V was on the wrong end of a loose ball foul call, but also missed two layups in the last minute. Alma kept missing free throws keeping Vilonia in the game. Tough loss for the Eagles.

Vtowneagle

Go Postal

AT

I thought about waiting until the postseason for this and see what they did, but I think after tonight, it's official. This team is the "Cardiac 'Dales". Team wins close games like it's a walk in the park.

Austin Lee was clutch was two huge three pointers again. We don't win tonight without Braxton. Jake cleaned the boards. Braylon gave #13 fits most of the night.

Great game for the Airedales.

And I do want to say that although Vilonia might have been on the end of some questionable calls, the loose ball foul was legit from my point of view. Our guy ran in front and got position and Vilonia's big kid knocked him over.

ahsalum

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 21, 2014, 09:37:26 pm
the loose ball foul was legit from my point of view. Our guy ran in front and got position and Vilonia's big kid knocked him over.

Not from my point of view. I would love to agree with you on this one but everyone around me thought it was on Braylon....it certainly looked like it from where we were sitting...but who knows...

AT

Quote from: Steve Perry on February 21, 2014, 10:08:07 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on February 21, 2014, 09:37:26 pm
the loose ball foul was legit from my point of view. Our guy ran in front and got position and Vilonia's big kid knocked him over.

Not from my point of view. I would love to agree with you on this one but everyone around me thought it was on Braylon....it certainly looked like it from where we were sitting...but who knows...

Wish I could see a replay of it. I thought Braylon got position with his quickness. Tough call to make either way.

artraveler

Watching Alma-Vilonia tonight, a real playoff atmosphere. Both teams competing to win. Super defensive effort on both ends of the court.  Officiating continues to be frustratingly inconsistent. Calls are made in 4th qtr that mystify both teams, and there are cheap fouls that went uncalled for three quarters.  Wish there was some oversight to help these people.  There are few good referees, and far too many poor ones.

ahsalum

One of the reasons we all thought it was on BP was because he was flying up the court and it looked like he collided with the kid that was trying to catch the ball.....and it looked like he knocked him down...but wasn't Braylon on the ground as well...

artraveler

Good grief, where are the Greenbriar Shiloh scores?  Was that a boys or girls game score posted earlier?

AT

Quote from: artraveler on February 21, 2014, 10:50:10 pm
Good grief, where are the Greenbriar Shiloh scores?  Was that a boys or girls game score posted earlier?

It was boys, but I don't know the exact score.

rjrose

The girls race will be decided pretty much with the Vilonia/Greenbrier game.  If Vilonia beats Greenbrier and Alma beats Shiloh then they will be tied for 4th place at 7-6.  Alma and Greenbrier play each other last game of season.  One of them will finish 7-7 and Harrison is in.  So Gobs should be pulling for Vilonia Tuesday night.  If Vilonia wins then it doesn't matter if Harrison wins or not they are in the playoffs.  If that happens and we tie with Greenbrier then they own the tiebreaker.  If we tie with Alma it will come to total point differential.  Right now we have 62 points and Alma has 60.  If we are tied they would have to win their last two by only two points to go to the third tiebreaker.  Otherwise, if they win by 3 or more points then we lose tiebreaker and get the 4 seed.  One win by the Lady Gobs and they are 3 seed.
As for the boys it's a little more complicated.  Alma has easiest route.  They have Shiloh and it appears that GB has mailed it in for the year.  Vilonia boys have same schedule.  If Vilonia wins out and gets 20 points both games they will be at 61 points.  If Gobs win against Huntsville we are in because we will own all tiebreakers.  If we tie with Vilonia we have 66 points and they can't get there.  If we tie with Alma we own the H2H.  If it;s a 3 way tie then Vilonia is eliminated because Alma swept them.  That still leaves us in 3rd.  Gobs just need one win to get 3rd seed.  Alma and Vilonia can only get 3rd if Gobs lose both games.  Then Gobs might be out.  But if they tie anyone they are in.

AT

Alma boys do not need Harrison to lose both to get the 3 seed.

If Alma wins out and Harrison loses to Huntsville or Morrilton, then Alma boys will have the 3 seed.

hasbeen03

Quote from: HackerHog on February 22, 2014, 12:14:43 am
Quote from: hasbeen03 on February 21, 2014, 08:29:01 pm
Listening on the radio and it sounds like Clarksville-Harrison is getting heated. Fans from Harrison are not happy with the officiating & coach is giving it to the refs.

don't generalize the Harrison fans whining the whole game.

Definitely didn't mean it that way. Just meant the Clarksville radio guys (who are AWFUL, btw, muffled screams and 20 seconds behind half the game) were talking about how unhappy people were at that particular time and how coach was close to a T. Again, I wasn't there. 

rjrose

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 22, 2014, 12:48:17 am

If Alma wins out and Harrison loses to Huntsville or Morrilton, then Alma boys will have the 3 seed.
That is correct.  I shouldn't figure stuff at 1 in the morning.  LOL!  I was thinking our boys had 8 wins already but are tied with Alma so you are right AT.  However, if we tie with Alma or Vilonia we do have the tiebreaker then.  Gobs need one win to get in and 2 to guarantee 3rd place.  Alma has been lucky.  They have won 7 games by a total of 25 points.  Harrison has won 7 by 66 points.  Should be an interesting last week.  Alma has the best schedule.

AT

February 22, 2014, 02:19:38 pm #38 Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:21:39 pm by Almatrackster
Quote from: rjrose on February 22, 2014, 02:06:52 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on February 22, 2014, 12:48:17 am

That is correct.  I shouldn't figure stuff at 1 in the morning.  LOL!  I was thinking our boys had 8 wins already but are tied with Alma so you are right AT.  However, if we tie with Alma or Vilonia we do have the tiebreaker then.  Gobs need one win to get in and 2 to guarantee 3rd place.  Alma has been lucky.  They have won 7 games by a total of 25 points.  Harrison has won 7 by 66 points.  Should be an interesting last week.  Alma has the best schedule.

Alma has had to grind out win after win, it's been a crazy ride. I've enjoyed some good games this year, though.

Really, I don't think I've ever seen anything like this since I've been following high school basketball:

Alma has beat Huntsville by 3 in OT (going into OT is kind of like winning by 0 in a way), 4 against Harrison, 2 against Shiloh, 1 against Huntsville, 3 against Morrilton, and 2 against Vilonia.

That's 6 victories by a combined FIFTEEN points. It's unbelievable. The Vilonia game @ Vilonia is the only outlier and that was close until midway through the 4th quarter.

If you look at the end of regulation in Alma's victories, they have led/won by a combined 22 points in 7 victories.

artraveler

Alma is unique.  When they lose, they have lost by 9pts  or more.  But they're money in close games.  Alma is 7-0 in conference games decided by 8 pts or less.  When they get the lead in the 4th quarter, they find a way to win.  They gave up big leads on the road at Huntsville and Shiloh, but found ways to win. If they would shoot free throws better, they would not be in so many close games.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas