• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3-4A Week 1

Started by PokeyRedskinStudentScout, August 28, 2018, 04:25:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

We are now to the point where everyone gets in on the fun. Week 0 had some interesting results, and Week 1 is sure to have some as well.
Nettleton @ Pocahontas- The Raiders defense showed up in full force against the ground and pound Gosnell offense, but their offense lacked a solid foundation, with a young QB. The Redskins are young and hungry, and speed/conditioning are not problems unlike some years past.
Redskins- 30 Raiders- 21
Rivercrest @ Paragould- The Colts debut in the 4A appears to be a decent matchup. The Rams have 5A size, but lack talent. The Colts return a lot of key players from last year's state championship run. Rivercrest could struggle some early on, but pull away because of speed.
Colts- 41 Rams- 19
Kennett, MO @ Gosnell- The Pirates offense struggled against Nettleton's huge D-Line. The run game didn't get going, and therefore, neither could the offense overall. Obviously, not many of us know about Kennett, but I'll give Gosnell the edge. Why? Because Mississippi County.
Pirates- 36 Indians- 16
GCT @ Brookland- The Golden Eagles are coming off of an upset win, and Brookland narrowly lost to an overlooked Riverview team. This could be the most interesting matchup all week.
Bearcats- 24 Golden Eagles- 20
Westside @ Piggott- I can already feel the tension from the Westsiders after they read this. The defense was not there more times than it was, and the offense couldn't come up late. The Mohawks lost a lot of key players, but they seem set on making the playoffs again, which gives them an advantage in my book.
Mohawks- 37 Warriors- 24
Trumann @ Hoxie- Trumann is at 25-ish players after losing their coach and main producer. Hoxie is coming off an easy win over Cave City, and it carries over with Trumann not having the skill/depth of last year.
Mustangs- 46 Wildcats- 13
Harding Academy @ Highland- Both teams have gone down recently. Harding Academy, after a state championship in 2016, and Highland after being a .500+ team for about 6 years. In the end, I think HA's pedigree gets them over the edge.
Wildcats- 29 Rebels- 20
Southside @ Cave City- In this week's edition of the "we already know what should happen" game. Southside, though overrated in the eyes of many, obviously has an edge over the Cavemen.
Southerners- 51 Cavemen- 21

Coltfan2005

Only hitch in my giddy-up is the remarks on Nettleton's QB. He's a Jr who had playing time last year at QB. Pokey will actually be fielding the young QB with no experience at high school level. Thought the QB did a decent job for Nettleton last week especially considering the Nettleton offensive line stayed in the locker room for the majority of the game. Other than that the remarks seem spot on, though the Colt offense can sometimes take until the 3rd game to get rolling well. Don't expect that this year, but there were a few holes in the line to fill.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Dawson Chester plays beyond his years. He's looked an awful lot like a high school QB since 8th grade and can only get better. He trusts the OL and knows the right moves to make when he's flushed out the pocket instead of risking a turnover. Time will tell but he looks to be fine

Coltfan2005

Can't judge a QB as performing like a high school qb in the 8th grade because he IS NOT playing against other high school athletes. Not downing him, just saying he is the QB in the game with the least amount of real experience.  He'll probably be fine but playing in jr high against kids a year older than you is totally different than playing as a sophomore against a team fielding seniors with the experience of high school ball. Great Jr high ball teams do not always translate into great senior high ball teams.

BIGRED15

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 28, 2018, 09:06:21 pm
Can't judge a QB as performing like a high school qb in the 8th grade because he IS NOT playing against other high school athletes. Not downing him, just saying he is the QB in the game with the least amount of real experience.  He'll probably be fine but playing in jr high against kids a year older than you is totally different than playing as a sophomore against a team fielding seniors with the experience of high school ball. Great Jr high ball teams do not always translate into great senior high ball teams.

Week six you will get a in  person look at just how "fine" he is gonna be

Coltfan2005

Quote from: BIGRED15 on August 29, 2018, 10:30:22 am

Week six you will get a in  person look at just how "fine" he is gonna be

You might want to pick another week to slobber on his cleats.

CoolBreeze

Harding Academy changed almost its entire coaching staff after the most recent championship season, which was actually 2015. They struggled in 2016 but were much improved in 2017. However, they suffered an unusual number of injuries, which hampered their ability to win. In one game they were without 3 of their top 4 receivers, a significant problem for a passing team. Once they got healthy, they came within about a minute and a half of knocking off previously unbeaten and top-ranked Junction City in the second round of the playoffs.

In 2018, they must replace much of their receiver corps, but quarterback Davis Morgan returns. Odds are that this years' team will look will look more like the Wildcats of the years prior to 2016. This week, they will suffer some first game issues but manage to pull out the W.

WilderKat

H...land : 6
H..ding  : 7

WilderKat

21-6

Peanuts!   Get your PEANUTS!

WilderKat

Quote from: CoolBreeze on August 29, 2018, 01:43:45 pm

Sorry folks for spamming your forum. I don't belong here. I now realize that. I simply searched for Wildcats and was led here to your side. I apologize.

However, I got yer peanuts on all sides.

21-12

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Don't worry man. As long as it's a 3-4A team being discussed, we don't care where you're from.

WilderKat

21-19
But really, I am going back to where I belong. I've learned a valuable lesson, though.

Crismon

Absolutely ugly. Both sides of the ball.

Coltfan2005

How did pokey young quarterback
look?

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 31, 2018, 09:44:10 pm
How did pokey young quarterback
look?
I'll be honest, he definitely struggled. The Nettleton secondary kept the receivers in check and made the Redskins stick to the ground. That didn't help much either. His bright spot was decision making, besides the 2-3 interceptions he threw. Overall, a lot to learn but he's got the mind for the game and that's an underrated Nettleton team.

SuperFan08

Looks like Pokey could generate no offense. Sorry for Pokey fans that got their hopes up but they were simply blown out of the water. Have fun with the 4th seed.

bigchief72455

August 31, 2018, 10:32:54 pm #16 Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:35:51 pm by bigchief72455
Again you are basing this on what. Remind me who is the team your the super fan of.

bodycounTT

31-0... HAHAHAHAHA POKEY IS WEAK SAUCE!!  ;D ;D ;D Gosh! Where was that explosive offense that we've heard all about? May not even beat Westside this year. I'm predicting a 4 seed for the "great defense" and "unstoppable offense"... and before you Pokey posters start slapping this post, you've had this coming after all your talk the past few weeks.

bigchief72455

August 31, 2018, 10:44:00 pm #18 Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:48:13 pm by bigchief72455
Not slapping your post. It was a loss yes. But also I don't think that Westside or Brookland fans need to be pounding their chests to quick as well. GCT beat you. Where is the bragging there. Pocahontas lost to a better team. Probably a 3 or 4 seed in the 5A east. Still a lot of weeks left in the season. Really not worried.

bodycounTT

Quote from: bigchief72455 on August 31, 2018, 10:44:00 pm
Not slapping your post. It was a loss yes. But also I don't thing that Westside or Brookland fans need to be pounding their chests to quick as well. GCT beat you. Where is the bragging there. Pocahontas lost to a better team. Probably a 3 or 4 seed in the 5A east. Still a lot of weeks left in the season. Really not worried.

Not a fan of either school, but since you brought it up.. Westside lost on the road to GCT and scored more than 0. Pokey just got embarrassed on their home field on opening night and gave up more points to a team in 4 quarters than they had scored in their first two games (beat Osceola 14-12 and Gosnell 14-6). Pokey still can't shed the stigma that they can beat the teams they should and will lose the 50/50 games or to decent teams.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Nettleton having something called a defense was the main reason

bigchief72455

August 31, 2018, 10:57:03 pm #21 Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:00:27 pm by bigchief72455
So you don't have a dog in this. You are just here to troll?

Redskin2015

Nettleton has a heck of a back and receiver/tight end and overall play is dynamic they'll do well in conference, pokey looked young but got in some sort groove late

Coltfan2005

Can you guys just not stand it because a couple of the pokey fans handle defeat with true class?
I still believe replacing your main offensive weapon is a mistake, but kudos to the Pokey faithful for handling the loss  without jumping on the excuse bus.

bigchief72455

Our schedule for non conference has some tough games. You always plan to win but if you don't you don't. No excuses. Those young men played to the end against a better team. Our non conference could have been some cakewalk wins to make it look good but these tougher teams will make it better for them in the long run. Tonight it just didn't click. Next week should be better. Gotta let the younger players learn. Hats off to Nettleton as well. They were prepared and were very classy even when they were up. Hope they have a great season.

Redskin2015

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 31, 2018, 11:27:53 pm
Can you guys just not stand it because a couple of the pokey fans handle defeat with true class?
I still believe replacing your main offensive weapon is a mistake, but kudos to the Pokey faithful for handling the loss  without jumping on the excuse bus.
Thank you kind sir, I still firmly believe in Chester but from what I saw Adams does need to get more touches and looks and more early in the game Nettleton out played our receivers very well, overall Nettleton was the better team and if they can cut back on those mental mistakes 5A east better watch out

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas