• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Valley Springs boys

Started by Old Eagle, June 01, 2017, 08:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Lion

Quote from: Moonshiner on June 19, 2017, 09:14:57 pm
How far did Manila go last year?
Got beat by Lamar in quarterfinals. Got 4 starters returning and the 2 freshman that played in the post season. The lil lefty point guard & post who is 6'6" now.

Moonshiner

They have some pressure on them now I suppose

Head Lion

Not really, 2 teams that were in finals bring back basically everyone. Osceola brings back everyone & will not someone slip up on them this year. It will be a UP year in 3A.

bobcats

Back on subject, I think everyone was thinking Valley with all their tradition might hire a proven coach.  Not a criticism on the hire just an observation.  Everything I know about the new coach which isnt much, 1 year head coaching experience at the HS level.  Prior to that he was an assistant at Waldron.  I believe he played at Van Cove.  I am suprised someone from Waldron or Van Cove has not commented on the hire.  He may turn out to be a great hire, time will tell.

Moonshiner

That has always been the hottest job in the Harrison area.  This time, however, there wasn't much interest.  Or didn't appear to be.  Can someone from Valley speak to this?

Head Lion

The job has UNREAL expectations. If I had been on the board there, I would have went and got the proven winner in the area, Kelby Drennan. His kids seem to enjoy playing for him and he has a good run of success without any controversy.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Head Lion on June 20, 2017, 04:52:06 pm
The job has UNREAL expectations. If I had been on the board there, I would have went and got the proven winner in the area, Kelby Drennan. His kids seem to enjoy playing for him and he has a good run of success without any controversy.

Great young coach, but he hates Valley Springs. Don't think he was interested at all.  Very surprised they didn't hire  Josh Manes.  Also a great young coach.  He may have burned some bridges when he was next door at Western Grove. 
Lynch at Jasper would've been a good hire, but he would have to take a cut in pay.  Plus he's getting close to retirement.

bobcats

I would also have called Middlebrooks at Viola and Cude.  Both have won state championships and neither are in a good situation right now.  The good ones will not apply without knowing ahead of time the job is their's

Bigleague

Andrew blacker from nemo vista is a great young coach. 

Head Lion

Quote from: Moonshiner on June 20, 2017, 05:24:52 pm
Great young coach, but he hates Valley Springs. Don't think he was interested at all.  Very surprised they didn't hire  Josh Manes.  Also a great young coach.  He may have burned some bridges when he was next door at Western Grove. 
Lynch at Jasper would've been a good hire, but he would have to take a cut in pay.  Plus he's getting close to retirement.
I knew Kelby had a good head.😂😂😂

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bobcats on June 20, 2017, 05:35:11 pm
I would also have called Middlebrooks at Viola and Cude.  Both have won state championships and neither are in a good situation right now.  The good ones will not apply without knowing ahead of time the job is their's

Coaching at the ole alma mater with no expectations may not be worth whatever Valley Springs could have offered combined with the expectations...

And suprised Cude hasn't landed somewhere....

SackAttack

Cude starting fires and burning bridges!! Lots of good coaches out there that dont

bdog32

Cude and Middlebrooks have both been in the area before at marshall also so that could have had an impact as to why they were not called or didn't call and inquire.   Both have shown they can handle jobs with high expectations.  Plus earlier in this thread or the old valley thread someone mentioned that the pay at valley is not great.  I'm sure all coaches like to win but not all of them will take a cut in pay to go somewhere where the admin is rumored to not be great.  Let's give Coach Haney a chance to prove himself.  He may be the coach valley needed

BoxNOne

Quote from: SackAttack on June 20, 2017, 08:39:30 pm
Cude starting fires and burning bridges!! Lots of good coaches out there that dont

This is true!

bobcats

June 21, 2017, 08:50:09 am #64 Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:03:22 am by bobcats
Quote from: Moonshiner on June 20, 2017, 05:24:52 pm

It's hard to believe Valley can't or won't pay as much as Jasper.  That says volumes about the administrations commitment to basketball.  We are seeing more schools who have been powerhouses in the past hire superintendents who treat it like a problem instead of an asset. A 3A school like Valley who does not have the financial albatross of football should be able to pay their basketball coaches well.

Moonshiner

Quote from: bobcats on June 21, 2017, 08:50:09 am
It's hard to believe Valley can't or won't pay as much as Jasper.  That says volumes about the administrations commitment to basketball.  We are seeing more schools who have been powerhouses in the past hire superintendents who treat it like a problem instead of an asset. A 3A school like Valley who does not have the financial albatross of football should be able to pay their basketball coaches well.

Very true and very well said.

Head Lion

Most times you get what you pay for. Like Johnny Taylor or not, they were getting him at a bargain price.

no mascot

You could say the same for any coach though. Especially if they are the junior and senior high head coach. How much extra time is expected of a coach for a stipend that is a few thousand dollars?

SackAttack

Quote from: bdog32 on June 21, 2017, 07:07:47 am
Cude and Middlebrooks have both been in the area before at marshall also so that could have had an impact as to why they were not called or didn't call and inquire.   Both have shown they can handle jobs with high expectations.  Plus earlier in this thread or the old valley thread someone mentioned that the pay at valley is not great.  I'm sure all coaches like to win but not all of them will take a cut in pay to go somewhere where the admin is rumored to not be great.  Let's give Coach Haney a chance to prove himself.  He may be the coach valley needed
Chance given but 6-22 scares me whether there was talent or not . Lots he hasn't seen or experienced to be given the task of rebuilding Rome I mean Valley. I would bet the area coaches are giddy about this hire

Head Lion

They want a puppet running the boys program & exactly opposite in girls, with one of the best girls programs in the state.

SackAttack

Quote from: Head Lion on June 22, 2017, 08:47:51 am
They want a puppet running the boys program & exactly opposite in girls, with one of the best girls programs in the state.
True

no mascot

So by that logic johnny taylor = puppet? Hard to believe that one chief.

theflash10

Quote from: no mascot on June 22, 2017, 06:06:32 pm
So by that logic johnny taylor = puppet? Hard to believe that one chief.
No, he's saying that's why Johnny didn't stick around.

Head Lion

Quote from: theflash10 on June 22, 2017, 09:25:04 pm
No, he's saying that's why Johnny didn't stick around.
Correct

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Head Lion on June 22, 2017, 09:40:01 pm
Correct

What is Johnny's excuse for all the other schools he's left?

no mascot

Ah ok. Doubt the new guy would like to be called a puppet either way. Do you know how he runs his program? What would lead you to believe he would be a puppet for admin?

Head Lion

Quote from: no mascot on June 22, 2017, 10:39:20 pm
Ah ok. Doubt the new guy would like to be called a puppet either way. Do you know how he runs his program? What would lead you to believe he would be a puppet for admin?
I am just saying if you hang out with as many coaches as I do, Valley is known in that circle to be horrible about admin & parents not letting the coach run things. This a bad tag to have if you want to hire proven quality winners.

no mascot

Can't argue with you on that... you think Jenkins get it as bad on the girls side?

we_hate_the_band

June 26, 2017, 04:55:46 pm #78 Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:06:37 pm by we_hate_the_band
So now that we know what the conference will look like next year, let's parse on the expectations. This is your official rankings of the the conference coaches.

Edit: at the request of fellow posters, I will give you the scoop on where to eat when you go watch these guys coach.

8. Valley: Blake Haney. He's about to find out what bigboy basketball is all about. As for food, you can't beat Grices in Western Grove. Get the meatloaf or a burger.

7. Green Forest: Donnie Smith got this job after several other coaches turned it down. On the plus side, Las Cazuelas is open year round and their salsa is exceptional.
6. Bergman: Bo Knows that the two guys above him are going to make his job easy down the stretch. He's the Jon Snow of the conference.  Good luck finding something worth eating here.
5. Mt View: Jeff Morrow reminds me of Houston Nutt. But he's actually a good coach compared to Nutt. Tommy's Pizza is legit but if you want to support the Jackets hit up wing shack.
Yellville: Hunter Simms showed his mettle coaching girls last Year. I'd imagine he's well adept with XY chromosomes as well. Barring any resume fiascos, this hire could be a thorn in the side of the conference for a while. Perfect BBQ road game with black sheep and Razorback Ribs.
3. Melbourne: Pat  Rappert is coaching against a loaded deck. But he's got some intangibles going his way. Uh? Is pizza inn still open?
1B. Clinton: Cole Gardener is a name that will be going places before too long. What he's done in the past 3 years is remarkable. LA ROSITA!!!!
1A. Marshall: Kelby Drennan has done what nobody has done since Larry Cotton: build a program at Marshall. He's one of the few coaches with a winning record against Deion Hargrove and Johnny Taylor. Marshall better enjoy him while they have him. If you're not stopping by Daisy Queen you ain't doing it right.

theflash10

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on June 26, 2017, 04:55:46 pm
So now that we know what the conference will look like next year, let's parse on the expectations. This is your official rankings of the the conference coaches.

8. Valley: Blake Haney. He's about to find out what bigboy basketball is all about.

7. Green Forest: Donnie Smith got this job after several other coaches turned it down. On the plus side, Las Cazuelas is open year round and their salsa is exceptional.
6. Bergman: Bo Knows that the two guys above him are going to make his job easy down the stretch. He's the Jon Snow of the conference.
5. Mt View: Jeff Morrow reminds me of Houston Nutt. But he's actually a good coach compared to Nutt.
Yellville: Hunter Simms showed his mettle coaching girls last Year. I'd imagine he's well adept with XY chromosomes as well. Barring any resume fiascos, this hire could be a thorn in the side of the conference for a while.
3. Melbourne: Pat  Rappert is coaching against a loaded deck. But he's got some intangibles going his way.
1B. Clinton: Cole Gardener is a name that will be going places before too long. What he's done in the past 3 years is remarkable.
1A. Marshall: Kelby Drennan has done what nobody has done since Larry Cotton: build a program at Marshall. He's one of the few coaches with a winning record against Deion Hargrove and Johnny Taylor. Marshall better enjoy him while they have him.
#7 @ Las Cazuelas, the fajitas are the real deal!

ballmember

From what I have seen of these coaches: Drennan  one; 2-Rappert; 3-Morrow.     Most talent in conference will be Clinton boys.   Should walk away with it on talent alone.   

drybones

Didn't Drennan take the coaching job at Jessieville?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: drybones on July 01, 2017, 10:42:32 am
Didn't Drennan take the coaching job at Jessieville?

Think jessieville hired an assistant from dardanelle(Jared white)

Greyhound#1

Quote from: Head Lion on June 22, 2017, 08:47:51 am

Well he coached here at salem and I can assure he is no puppet.  If they hired him for that then they read him wrong.   

Head Lion

It is a strong region with The Beast from the East (Osceola, Manila & a resugent Rivercrest) Then with Clinton dropping down to go with rock solid program at Marshall, you need to win the 1A East district to draw the 4 out of 3A3. I saw Corning at Manila team camp & feel they match up nicely with Valley. Region 2 is tops with both returning finalist bringing everyone back, but I feel total depth of a Region 3 matches up with anyone next year.

LaFlamaBlanca55

This guy is an absolute turd bucket! Plus had heard about some "off" the court issues supposedly but not quite off school related, sad sad day for the once glorious valley springs basketball program. good luck with this one tigers

ZoneBuster

Quote from: LaFlamaBlanca55 on September 08, 2017, 11:05:10 am
This guy is an absolute turd bucket! Plus had heard about some "off" the court issues supposedly but not quite off school related, sad sad day for the once glorious valley springs basketball program. good luck with this one tigers

Taylor or Hanney??

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas