• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State to Big 12?

Started by Redwolves8526, August 15, 2016, 09:03:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolves8526

Arkansas State was one of 17 schools to be in the discussion for a Big 12 invite. I'm a realist and realize that we probably won't be one of the few selected, but it was nice to get some recognition. Seeing multiple big 12 writers ranking us somewhere between 3-5 as far as teams mentioned in the move, behind teams like Cincinnati, Houston, UConn, BYU, and ECU.

If ASU gets the invite (yes, slim chance), should they take it?

OB11

I would say yes.  I feel like it would benefit the university as a whole.  It would definitely take a few years to be competitive in all sports, but I feel like it could be done. 

Football wise I think ASU has proven everything they need to prove in the Sun Belt.  Need to strike while the iron is hot and move up before going back down.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I am not an ASU hater, in fact, I love Blake Anderson, but there is no value for the Big 12 to add ASU.  I have seen 1 writer mention ASU as #5 on the list of 18 (ranking solely off on field success), but I have not seen anyone else even mention them.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on August 15, 2016, 09:55:27 pm
I am not an ASU hater, in fact, I love Blake Anderson, but there is no value for the Big 12 to add ASU.  I have seen 1 writer mention ASU as #5 on the list of 18 (ranking solely off on field success), but I have not seen anyone else even mention them.
Among that list of 17 who REALLY adds value to the Big 12?  Houston, maybe?

OB11

I think you have to look at ASU from a potential perspective if you're the Big 12.  They have had as much success as they can in football in the Sun Belt.  The athletic budget for ASU has more than doubled since Mohajir has been there.  If they were added and started getting their "Big 12" money I think there is a lot of upside.

On the other hand if I had to pick 2 teams to add if I was the Big 12 it would definitely be Houston, then a toss up between Cincinnati and probably Memphis.

beach bum

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 16, 2016, 10:04:51 am
Among that list of 17 who REALLY adds value to the Big 12?  Houston, maybe?

Well let's see.... Memphis couldn't even win their division and beat Ole Miss who went 6-2 in the SEC. Is Toledo on the list? They couldn't win their division either and beat us. You make it seem like if these small schools didn't move to a power 5 they wouldn't get way more TV exposure and money which would eventually lead to a better product on the field. Look at TCU and Utah as examples. TCU went from the WAC to MWC to Big 12 over the last 15 to 20 years.

Longfellow

What about Boise? They have the best resume of any team on the list. If they would add more seats in the stadium, it would be the easiest choice

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on August 16, 2016, 02:00:34 pm
What about Boise? They have the best resume of any team on the list. If they would add more seats in the stadium, it would be the easiest choice

I agree, they have a great fan base and would already be competitive from the get go in the Big 12.

OB11

I am a fan of a conference being geographically consistent.  So Boise St. I wouldn't be a big fan of adding.  WV is in the Big 12 which makes no sense geographically so it's a possibility I guess.  When you only have 5 "Power" conferences it makes it more difficult for everything to make sense geographically.  Can't change where your campus is located and if you aren't close to a P5 conference it makes it tough. 

Redwolves8526

August 18, 2016, 08:51:16 am #9 Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:53:00 am by Redwolves8526

Redwolves8526

The Big 12 Commish said recently that he would like to take schools that are geographically consistent with the conference. Which might be the only edge we have over Cincinatti, Boise, BYU, USF, etc. Mojahir will have to work some magic to get us in, but it's still nice to be in the conversation.

Redwolves8526

beach bum

August 23, 2016, 02:00:11 pm #12 Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:02:21 pm by beach bum
They would already be better than Kansas which I will admit is not that difficult, plus I would say they are about the same as an Iowa State. What would there be to lose? I say take them and hope the A-State program makes another step and more consistent in a power 5 conference with recruiting being in the Big 12. Changing leagues takes time when a program makes a jump up in competition, but I would love to see it. You never know, after 4 or 5 years they could start being on the level of competing in the middle of the Big 12 of the likes of West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Kansas State.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on August 23, 2016, 02:00:11 pm
They would already be better than Kansas which I will admit is not that difficult, plus I would say they are about the same as an Iowa State. What would there be to lose? I say take them and hope the A-State program makes another step and more consistent in a power 5 conference with recruiting being in the Big 12. Changing leagues takes time when a program makes a jump up in competition, but I would love to see it. You never know, after 4 or 5 years they could start being on the level of competing in the middle of the Big 12 of the likes of West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Kansas State.

what's to gain though? Can they claim the Memphis television market?

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 23, 2016, 09:28:18 pm
what's to gain though? Can they claim the Memphis television market?

That is the mega problem right there which will cause the decision makers to say no at the Big 12 office... Houston has such big population. BYU gets Utah plus Mormons live all over the U.S. so they are quite attractive to the Big 12. BYU fans love their athletics. A State can not match that.

VHSCoach2

The Big 12 has lowered their expansion list from however many it was down to 12. ASU is not one of the 12.

The 12 are:
Air Force, Brigham Young, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Connecticut, Houston, Rice, South Florida, Southern Methodist, Temple, and Tulane.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: beach bum on August 23, 2016, 11:04:12 pm
That is the mega problem right there which will cause the decision makers to say no at the Big 12 office... Houston has such big population. BYU gets Utah plus Mormons live all over the U.S. so they are quite attractive to the Big 12. BYU fans love their athletics. A State can not match that.
I keep hearing about BYU.  Would Mormons scattered all over the country watching byu games really make that much difference in a networks ratings book?  There are only 6.5 million Mormons in the US with 2 million of those in Utah.  The largest single state population is 773,000 in California.  I don't get the fascination with BYU

dc24

I'm not surprised we were cut from the list. That was to be expected.  The main reason and perhaps only reason we were considered was due to on-the-field football success. We're the only FBS team to win its conference championship four out of the last five seasons. I don't think any television markets we could or couldn't have claimed, facilities, or success/non-success of any other sports had anything to do with being considered.  It was winning, and maybe location helped, but mostly winning. Winning gets you noticed, no matter what conference it's in.

beach bum

September 01, 2016, 11:54:04 am #18 Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:58:03 am by beach bum
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 01, 2016, 09:24:17 am
I keep hearing about BYU.  Would Mormons scattered all over the country watching byu games really make that much difference in a networks ratings book?  There are only 6.5 million Mormons in the US with 2 million of those in Utah.  The largest single state population is 773,000 in California.  I don't get the fascination with BYU

I have been to 2 sporting events where BYU was the road team. One basketball game and one football game. It was insane how their fans showed up for even a road game. Plus, watch any home game they have in basketball or football. They have a pretty big football stadium and a massive arena for basketball standards and they always pack those out and are rabid as they come. I can't stand BYU but I admit their fans are some of the most underrated in the country. They love their Cougars.... Mormons are everywhere and when they go on the road the ones that live where they are playing show up in big numbers too.

wildcat_x-mgr

It would have been nice, for sure. I've been (not as much lately) that D-1A/FBS may be splitting again, with the Power Five making their own division without the rest of us. It'd be nice to not be part of the "lower" half of the split if that happens, I like having us in the highest division.

BTW, was New Mexico not on the original list? I always thought that the Lobos would be the most sensible candidate for expansion, by everything except on-the-field wins - sort of the opposite of our resume, you could say. And actually, they've had some good years in basketball from time to time. They make geographic sense in that the states of New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas border, and then with TV markets, you're adding a whole other state, not to mention the city of Albuquerque. Surely that's a big deal, right? Or is Albuquerque not as big a TV market as I'm assuming?

HorseFeathers

Albuquerque metro is around 900k....makes it the 60th largest metro in the us

Lions84

New Mexico  Houston and Memphis .

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas