• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Arkansas State University Red Wolves

Started by True Believer, August 26, 2012, 10:15:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

True Believer

It's suppose to be 71 degrees high temp this Sat.  Come to the game!!!!!

Peety

September 04, 2012, 11:48:12 pm #51 Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:33:43 am by Peety

Peety

Quote from: Chosen 1 on September 04, 2012, 10:47:32 pm
Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 04, 2012, 05:01:51 pm
Oregon has a fast defense that is very small. Bama would run the ball down their throat. Their offense wouldnt be on the field enough to do much. They would score but not over 30, which I would think they would have to have to beat Bama or LSU.
DE 6'6 292, DT 6'4 301, DT 6'3 295, DE 6'7 243
MLB 6'4 234, WLB 5'11 222, SLB 6'3 233

I'd say Oregon has plenty of size. Don't just talk to talk, research what you say.

You even left out the exceptional freshman DE from Sacremento. He is 6-8 280

cotnhauler

Oregon's RB hits that open hole as quick as anyone I've ever seen. And when he gets behind you He's gone.  The hype machine is all in on USC. But Oregon will win the PAC-10/12, ever how many it is now. IMO, the Ducks will be one of the NCG participants.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Peety on September 04, 2012, 11:59:22 pm
Oregon has a fast defense that is very small. Bama would run the ball down their throat. Their offense wouldnt be on the field enough to do much. They would score but not over 30, which I would think they would have to have to beat Bama or LSU.

I'd say Oregon has plenty of size. Don't just talk to talk, research what you say.

All I know is what I saw with my eyes on tv. That might have been the second string but they didn't look like a defensive line from the sec. I'm talkin to talk I know what I saw.

bdubyab60

Peety

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 06, 2012, 04:56:48 pm
Quote from: Peety on September 04, 2012, 11:59:22 pm

All I know is what I saw with my eyes on tv. That might have been the second string but they didn't look like a defensive line from the sec. I'm talkin to talk I know what I saw.

Well then you didn't look very hard. They were huge. Just as big as an SEC D-Line.

True Believer

Pep Rally Tonight down on Main Street in Jonesboro!!!

Let's go Red Wolves!!!

Howl Yes!!!!!

True Believer

dc24

Crowd was great!  Got to give Memphis credit.  Didn't think they'd be in this one after they lost to FCS UTM last week, but they played hard and had some talent.  Defense really got off their blocks.  ASU had 619 yards of total offense and defense played well!  Special teams has got to improve, gave them 14 points off of mistakes.

Peety

You're right, special teams killed us. The defense looked a lot better than last week, but there is a lot of room to improve in stopping the run game. They were consistently getting 3-5 every time. Secondary looked good for the most part. That was an ugly win for the Red Wolves but I'll take it. I think we will play much better at Nebraska next week, maybe we can upset them. Go stAte!

Peety

True Believer

I thought both teams played terrible but ASU had more points.  Now there were bright spots and yep, special teams need to get it together for sure but lots of work for the RW's.

True Believer

The Gus Malzahn Show is on Channel 7 starting now. 

True Believer

Well at least we scored.  And we now have a cool one million.

Reservations now being taken for the Gus Bus to ULL on Tuesday October 23.  $95 for each person. 

ASU vs Alcorn State here this coming Sat. 

Go Red Wolves!!!!!!

fastdrop

When Gus gets his recruits on campus ...... watch out.

gameoflife

Quote from: Peety on August 27, 2012, 12:32:09 am
I think we go 10-2 again this season. Bold prediction, but I think we will win one of the two big non-conference game (Oregon, Nebraska), and then drop one in the Sunbelt. We will see! Can't wait!
Still going with this prediction?   Gus is finding out it is tougher when you play better talent.   He's a good coach but not a miracle worker.  ASU is not an elite D1.   

True Believer

^^  And are you a Hog fan????    Or just a hater in general???

Peety

Quote from: gameoflife on September 16, 2012, 12:26:23 pm
Quote from: Peety on August 27, 2012, 12:32:09 am
I think we go 10-2 again this season. Bold prediction, but I think we will win one of the two big non-conference game (Oregon, Nebraska), and then drop one in the Sunbelt. We will see! Can't wait!
Still going with this prediction?   Gus is finding out it is tougher when you play better talent.   He's a good coach but not a miracle worker.  ASU is not an elite D1.   

Do you realize Petrino went 5-7 in his first year? Malzahn will have a decent year this year. Our offense just played really bad yesterday. So far we have played probably one of the best teams in the nation, and then a decent big 10 team. We will be OK lol

True Believer

Arkansas State University 56
Alcorn State                      0

Howl YES!!!  :)

fastdrop

cotnhauler

Quote from: cotnhauler on September 05, 2012, 05:18:42 pm
   Oregon's RB hits that open hole as quick as anyone I've ever seen. And when he gets behind you He's gone.  The hype machine is all in on USC. But Oregon will win the PAC-10/12, ever how many it is now. IMO, the Ducks will be one of the NCG participants.
I would like to add too my post above of Sept.5.  ASU played the 2013 National Champion this year. Not only will the Ducks blast USC, they will meet and beat Bama in the NCG.

Peety

We have improved each week. We looked a lot better last night (I know Alcorn was terrible) but Aplin hit every open reciever right on the money, the secondary looked a lot better, and our special teams mistakes have been reduced.

Huge game next week vs. Western Kentucky. They just hammered Southern Miss last night and then beat Kentucky the week before. Big big game, couldn't stress that enough. Go stAte!

True Believer

Peety

Quote from: cotnhauler on September 23, 2012, 02:02:00 pm
Quote from: cotnhauler on September 05, 2012, 05:18:42 pm
I would like to add too my post above of Sept.5.  ASU played the 2013 National Champion this year. Not only will the Ducks blast USC, they will meet and beat Bama in the NCG.

I'll agree with that. Oregon looked absolutely nasty last night against Arizona

cotnhauler

Arizona was suppose to be able to hang with Oregon a little better. They, like Oregon, recruit California players with a lot of speed but they were way over matched. I see them and Bama sailing right into the title game without much trouble. LSU is no match for Bama. USC got a better shot at beating Oregon. Anyway ASU played the biggest of all the big boys this season. Something to talk about anyway, I don't think anybody figured Oregon to be THAT good at the time. 

dc24

Quote from: cotnhauler on September 23, 2012, 07:50:22 pm
    Arizona was suppose to be able to hang with Oregon a little better. They, like Oregon, recruit California players with a lot of speed but they were way over matched. I see them and Bama sailing right into the title game without much trouble. LSU is no match for Bama. USC got a better shot at beating Oregon. Anyway ASU played the biggest of all the big boys this season. Something to talk about anyway, I don't think anybody figured Oregon to be THAT good at the time. 

Well to be fair, Arizona got to the red zone about 6 times and scored 0 points.  Part of it was Oregon's defense stepping up, but they couldn't kick a FG and their execution wasn't there.  I think their starting QB got hurt too.  It should have been a much closer game!

Peety

bleudog

bleudog

Peety

ASU had a horrible 2nd half. Turnovers, dropped passes, blown coverages...just didnt execute at all.

WKU is a good ball club though. Wouldn't be surprised if they win the Sun Belt

dc24

I think we've lost too much talent on defense on the line.  We don't get near the pressure on the QB that we did last year.  That's what makes our secondary look so bad.

Aplin just seems "off" too.  He is missing open receivers and throwing into double coverage too much.

WKU is very good, but they could lose a game or two.  This thing isn't over yet.

True Believer

Had great attendance.  Beautiful day.  Disappointed that RW didn't win but like DC said this thing isn't over yet.

BG.  Gus.  :) 

Hero

Wku over ULM? After what ULM did vs Sec teams, they have to be the front runner

dc24

Quote from: Hero on September 30, 2012, 03:51:22 pm
Wku over ULM? After what ULM did vs Sec teams, they have to be the front runner

ULM also dismantled Tulane 63-10 yesterday.  They have to be the frontrunners in my opinion too.

Peety

I just like WKU better. They look more physical and have a very good running game. It'll be a toss up.

Keep in mind that WKU has beaten Kentucky and also destroyed Southern Miss. Pretty impressive so far.

bleudog

September 30, 2012, 09:08:54 pm #86 Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:43:56 am by bleudog
Quote from: Peety on September 30, 2012, 07:51:22 pm
I just like WKU better. They look more physical and have a very good running game. It'll be a toss up.

Keep in mind that WKU has beaten Kentucky and also destroyed Southern Miss. Pretty impressive so far.

Looks like these folks think the ULM-WKU-ULL games are close enough to come down to home field.  The 9/29 games haven't been loaded yet though.

ULM:  http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4200&s=181623

WKU:  http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8761&s=181623

ULL:  http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8761&s=181623

Hero

I Knew another 10 win season was unrealistic with the kids learning a new system but I still thought 8 wins was possible. I am leaning more towards 6 now. But expect things to start picking up next year to get to 8-9 wins year in and year out an competing for conference on a yearly basis. The state of ASU football is still where we have to play money games, so you can chalk up a loss or two tree with every so often sneaking up on someone. This yea the conference seems to be better than it has ever. I can't think of a year where te sunbelt has had this many games that raised this much national attention.

bleudog

fastdrop

Gus needs a win. Freeze is a much better coach than I thought he was --- Ole Miss came out last night lighting up Bama's offense. Those guys were fired up and played hard.

The Gus bus needs to get rolling. The honeymoon is over.

Peety

Good win tonight Red Wolves!

I kinda feel sorry for the FIU players though. Absolutely no fan support and they rank in the top 10 in enrollment and couldn't even get 5,000 to the game

Hero

Still haven't seen what freeze did other than install and call an offense while at stAte. An offense he installed during Roberts last year. It was also a year with little to no injuries, something that plagued several seasons while Roberts was there. I knew another 10 win season was on the wishful thinking list, but an 8-4 I thought could be possible, leaning more towards 6-7 now. The kids have to learn a new system, if Freeze was so much better than Gus, why did they not win 10 games 2 years ago when freeze first came in. Sorry but stAte upgraded and got a guy who grabbed players with offers to Arkansas, didn't see that kind of recruits with Freeze. State also got a guy who has had the highest offensive production on multiple years in his short time in the college ranks.

gameoflife

Gus is a good coach, but the fact is that he is coaching average talent and not Auburn national title caliber talent.  However, Freeze coached that same group to 10 wins. This is the first time in a long while that Gus is having to coach with talent not obviously better than what he is playing against, it's tougher to do.   ASU doesn't see the same degree of talent as a typical SEC school.

phdefense

Quote from: gameoflife on October 09, 2012, 09:14:46 pm
Gus is a good coach, but the fact is that he is coaching average talent and not Auburn national title caliber talent.  However, Freeze coached that same group to 10 wins. This is the first time in a long while that Gus is having to coach with talent not obviously better than what he is playing against, it's tougher to do.   ASU doesn't see the same degree of talent as a typical SEC school.
The defensive personnel is not the same this year.

True Believer

gameoflife

The core of that team is back.  If Gus is as good as some like to claim then he shouldn't be feeling the growing pains.  Anyway, it will not be a 10 win season for a second year.

dc24

Quote from: gameoflife on October 09, 2012, 09:19:39 pm
The core of that team is back.  If Gus is as good as some like to claim then he shouldn't be feeling the growing pains.  Anyway, it will not be a 10 win season for a second year.

You are so wrong.  The core of the OFFENSE is back, and even then they lost the leading receiver from last year and a couple of OL.  The defense lost alot and our defense was pretty dang good last year.  That's the biggest difference.  I don't think we'd have a better record right now with Freeze at the helm.

Peety

Quote from: gameoflife on October 09, 2012, 09:19:39 pm

Good lord. Please research a little bit before posting. The Arkansas State defense lost a lot of key players from last season. Including Sun Belt conference defensive player of the year, Brandon Joiner. A few others are Demario Davis (3rd round draft pick), Kelcie McCray (Miami Dolphins), Nigel Byrd, and a couple of DT.

The offense lost the best receiver they have had in Dwayne Frampton. We also lost 3 of our starting lineman from last season.

A-State will be fine. Just extremely young this year

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Peety on October 10, 2012, 05:40:14 am

A-State will be fine. Just extremely young this year

Hinges on how many felons Gus can bring in.

Peety

Supposed to be a pretty day Saturday. Can't wait for the game and what South Al looks like. A-State should win pretty easily though. Go Red Wolves!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas