• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conference predictions

Started by ZestyJester, August 31, 2018, 01:29:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LeftyWorld

Quote from: Cheek on October 07, 2018, 01:13:21 pm
England Boys and Girls dominated this conference in the past, and will again.  I expect England Boys will win conference,  and Bigelow and England girls will battle for the top spot on the Girls side.

Carlisle girls should not go quietly. I expect them to give Bigelow and England a run for their money. England boys will be dominate in this conference. Brakebill moving to Poyen May be able to slow England down but i dont know if he could pull it off. He did always give Baptist prep fits when he was out manned as far as talent goes.

HoopKing

The last two years England and Carlisle Jr high teams have been neck and neck in Jr high and Carlisle returns 3 starters.  I think there are 4 teams in girls that can win conference. Carlisle england Bigelow and poyen. I am looking forward to those battles.

YSpanther

November 10, 2018, 01:15:46 am #52 Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 01:23:15 am by YSpanther
2A1 Boys:

Yellville-Summit
Eureka Springs
Flippin
Cotter
Haas Hall Fayetteville
Decatur

HH Bentonville and Arkansas Arts Academy are not competing in this conference in this sport this year.

Flip Y-S and Eureka possibly.  Switch Cotter and HH and Decatur in a 3 card monty at the bottom any way you want.  Flippin is a solid 3 in between.  Cotter is learning a hard lesson about playing nothing but seniors last year.  They had a great regular season last year, but they have absolutely no experience so far this year and it shows.  Y-S and Eureka Springs on the other hand are bringing almost all starters and contributors back from pretty successful years last year, YS at the 3A level.

Does anyone know which conferences will be paired for regionals since many teams got shuffled?

ozarkmtnsman

The 2A1 conference has to be the weakest conference in the state this year.  Yellville should walk away with this one.   Yellville needs to try somehow and schedule some competitive ballgames to prepare for regionals.  The Clinton and Bergman games were scrapped, those were by far the toughest non-conference games on the schedule.

YSpanther

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on November 10, 2018, 07:19:28 pm
The 2A1 conference has to be the weakest conference in the state this year.  Yellville should walk away with this one.   Yellville needs to try somehow and schedule some competitive ballgames to prepare for regionals.  The Clinton and Bergman games were scrapped, those were by far the toughest non-conference games on the schedule.
No doubt. If they take care of business on Monday against Jasper, they will get to play Jonesboro Westside, which will be good. But if they win that, they will likely be playing Alpena, Deer or Flippin, which are all decently solid teams, but not elite competition.  And Marshall will probably be way down.  The North Arkansas College tournament will be okay, but don't know who will be in that one.  Since Valley has decided to spread themselves far afield, they don't cross our path.  Yellville could easily end up at 23-2 or something and get blown out in the first round of the state.  We didn't play Osceola as well as Valley did last year, but we didn't embarrass ourselves in regionals when we were the smallest 3A team last year, and future rotations are based on previous year's enrollment.  So we basically had 2A numbers, and were playing 3A powerhouses.

Do you know which conference the 2A1 is matched up with in regionals this year?

ozarkmtnsman

I was thinking 2A1 was paired with 2A4 in regionals, but I may be way off.

Overall it seems boys and girls basketball is down this year in North Central Arkansas.

YSpanther

Bergman, Valley and Norfork are pretty good in girls, but I haven't seen very much elsewhere, that is true. I think Jasper is pretty decent too.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: YSpanther on November 11, 2018, 01:11:47 am
No doubt. If they take care of business on Monday against Jasper, they will get to play Jonesboro Westside, which will be good. But if they win that, they will likely be playing Alpena, Deer or Flippin, which are all decently solid teams, but not elite competition.  And Marshall will probably be way down.  The North Arkansas College tournament will be okay, but don't know who will be in that one.  Since Valley has decided to spread themselves far afield, they don't cross our path.  Yellville could easily end up at 23-2 or something and get blown out in the first round of the state.  We didn't play Osceola as well as Valley did last year, but we didn't embarrass ourselves in regionals when we were the smallest 3A team last year, and future rotations are based on previous year's enrollment.  So we basically had 2A numbers, and were playing 3A powerhouses.

Do you know which conference the 2A1 is matched up with in regionals this year?
I believe that Valley is back in the NAC tournament for this year.

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: YSpanther on November 12, 2018, 01:32:54 am
Bergman, Valley and Norfork are pretty good in girls, but I haven't seen very much elsewhere, that is true. I think Jasper is pretty decent too.

Yeah, they are good but all are down a notch from last year. Bergman boys are up. Yellville has gone from a tough 3A/4A blended conference to one of the weakest 2A conferences so they should finish strong.

YSpanther

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on November 12, 2018, 02:13:27 pm
I believe that Valley is back in the NAC tournament for this year.
It looked like they were going to the Mountain Home Christmas Tournament instead

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/valley-springs-tigers-(valley-springs,ar)/basketball/schedule.htm

ak58

Quote from: hogman1886 on September 07, 2018, 08:27:03 am
For Mobile Views.
Fordyce was down to 5 girls after the OBU tourney. Don't think they will be a factor. It will be between Spring Hill and Harmony Grove. SH has one the last 3 meetings, they will meet up in 2 weeks.  Don't know much about any of the other girls. I think Woodlawn girls made 1A state tourney last year. So they shouldn't be a slouch!

future_coach®

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on November 10, 2018, 07:19:28 pm
The 2A1 conference has to be the weakest conference in the state this year.  Yellville should walk away with this one.   Yellville needs to try somehow and schedule some competitive ballgames to prepare for regionals. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: future_coach® on December 05, 2018, 01:08:12 pm

Let me reword that, Yellville will walk away with it behind Eureka.
Eureka Springs seems legit. They have played a pretty challenging schedule thus far, with wins against Pea Ridge and a few other decent teams.  Possibly played Valley Springs their toughest game and only losing by 4 or 5. Only lost to 4A Berryville by a few.

I don't see anyone giving Yellville or Eureka a challenge in the 2A-1

YSpanther

Quote from: future_coach® on December 05, 2018, 01:08:12 pm
Yes, the performance on Tuesday merits this response.  But it was more about execution and game 16 vs game 6 as far as playing shape and anticipating passes, etc.  Eureka should enjoy the home win very early in the season and they deserve all the credit for a great shooting performance.  But if they think the game at the very end of January at our place will be that easy, then I would think again.  All excuses aside, at this point they are the top of this conference without a doubt.  I will be interested to see how they do on the road against Flippin this Friday.  A good shooting team sometimes has off nights.  Fortunately for Eureka, they can have a lot of off nights in our conference and be in no real danger most of the time.

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: YSpanther on December 06, 2018, 09:46:34 am
Yes, the performance on Tuesday merits this response.  But it was more about execution and game 16 vs game 6 as far as playing shape and anticipating passes, etc.  Eureka should enjoy the home win very early in the season and they deserve all the credit for a great shooting performance.  But if they think the game at the very end of January at our place will be that easy, then I would think again.  All excuses aside, at this point they are the top of this conference without a doubt.  I will be interested to see how they do on the road against Flippin this Friday.  A good shooting team sometimes has off nights.  Fortunately for Eureka, they can have a lot of off nights in our conference and be in no real danger most of the time.

Eureka scheduled several tough nonconference games (along with some cupcakes), I think this has paid off for them. However the second half of the season looks way too easy for them.  This will cause problems once the playoffs arrive.  Yellville's and Eureka's bench will get to see lots of action here on out.
Like they say you are only good as your competition.

I just don't see many good competitive games in the 2A-1.

Bosshog34

Now that we are only a couple weeks away from district tournaments, how are all the conferences shaping up?  2A-7 looks like this at the moment.  Outside of Dierks and Gurdon at the top the rest of the league has been really competitive with everyone beating up on each other. 

1. Dierks (10-0)
2. Gurdon (7-2)
3. Mount Ida (5-4)
4. Cossatot River (5-5)
5. Acorn (5-5)
6. Foreman (4-6)
7. Horatio (3-7)
8. Murfreesboro (0-10)

baller334

Quote from: RedWolf275 on September 07, 2018, 12:40:43 pm
Riverside down to eight players. I don't see them battling for conference championship but they still should be a regional qualifier.

So where are we now with this girls conference?

Mustangfans

Quote from: baller334 on January 22, 2019, 01:10:05 pm
Riverside will win conference. I'm going out on a limb and saying that Marmaduke will be runner-up. Only because districts are at BIC and they have always played good there. Melbourne will place 3rd. Again I'm going out on a limb and predicting BIC will get the 4th spot beating out Sloan-Hendrix at home.

RedWolf275

January 22, 2019, 04:21:48 pm #68 Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:24:51 pm by RedWolf275
Quote from: baller334 on January 22, 2019, 01:10:05 pm

Down to 7 now. The Lady Rebels freshman point guard has been great and helped
elevate their potential.

GoodGuy

The 5-2A Girls looks like this:

1. Bigelow- 11-0 with Maumelle Charter, England, and Cutter left
2. England- 9-2 with Hazen, Bigelow, and Magnet Cove left
3. Poyen-    8-3 with Cutter, Hazen, and Carlisle left
4. Carlisle-  6-5 with Cutter, Maumelle Charter and Poyen left
5. Magnet Cove- 5-7 with Hazen and England left
6. Cutter-   4-7 with Carlisle, Poyen and Bigelow left
7. Maumelle Charter- 1-10 with Bigelow, Carlisle and Hazen left
8. Hazen-   0-10 with England, Magnet Cove, Poyen and Maumelle Charter left

For seeding purposes, if Bigelow beats England, they will be tied with Poyen. They split their series, Poyen beat England by 18 in the first game and then England beat Poyen by 7. The rest should stay the same most likely unless there are any big upsets.

GoodGuy

The 5-2A Boys looks like this:

1. England-   11-0 with Hazen, Bigelow and Magnet Cove left
2.Bigelow-   8-3 with Maumelle Charter, England and Cutter left
3. Magnet Cove-   8-4 with Hazen and England left
4. Cutter-   7-4 with Carlisle, Poyen and Bigelow left
5. Maumelle Charter-   5-6 with Bigelow, Carlisle, and Hazen left
6. Poyen-   3-8 with Cutter, Hazen, and Carlisle left
7. Hazen-   1-9 with England, Magnet Cove, Poyen and Maumelle Charter left
8. Carlisle-   1-10 with Cutter, Maumelle Charter and Poyen left

Seeding is most likely going to be the same except Magnet Cove and Cutter could tie for 3rd and they split their series and  both will get the max 10 points so I'm not sure on the next tie breaking steps. Carlisle and Hazen will most likely tie for 7th but with them splitting and Hazen only winning by 1 point, Carlisle should be the 7 seed and Hazen the 8.

Cheek

Quote from: GoodGuy on January 23, 2019, 08:51:04 am
The 5-2A Girls looks like this:

1. Bigelow- 11-0 with Maumelle Charter, England, and Cutter left
2. England- 9-2 with Hazen, Bigelow, and Magnet Cove left
3. Poyen-    8-3 with Cutter, Hazen, and Carlisle left
4. Carlisle-  6-5 with Cutter, Maumelle Charter and Poyen left
5. Magnet Cove- 5-7 with Hazen and England left
6. Cutter-   4-7 with Carlisle, Poyen and Bigelow left
7. Maumelle Charter- 1-10 with Bigelow, Carlisle and Hazen left
8. Hazen-   0-10 with England, Magnet Cove, Poyen and Maumelle Charter left

For seeding purposes, if Bigelow beats England, they will be tied with Poyen. They split their series, Poyen beat England by 18 in the first game and then England beat Poyen by 7. The rest should stay the same most likely unless there are any big upsets.

The 1 and 4 are set.  The 2 and 3 are still in question.

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: Mustangfans on January 22, 2019, 02:32:14 pm
Riverside will win conference. I'm going out on a limb and saying that Marmaduke will be runner-up. Only because districts are at BIC and they have always played good there. Melbourne will place 3rd. Again I'm going out on a limb and predicting BIC will get the 4th spot beating out Sloan-Hendrix at home.

I've gotta say this is wrong. Melbourne should handle business and take the first seed. They are the best team on nearly every given night. They had one slip up on the road at Marmaduke. Any other time they'll beat Marmaduke 20.

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: leaderofthepack10 on September 12, 2018, 07:17:08 am
2A-3 Boys                                           2A-3 Girls
1. Bay                                                              1. Melbourne
2. BIC                                                              2. Marmaduke
3. Sloan Hendrix                                               3. Riverside
4. Rector                                                          4. Salem
5. Riverside                                                      5. Sloan Hendrix
6. Marmaduke                                                  6. BIC
7. Salem                                                          7. Rector
8. Melbourne                                                    8. Bay has no SR girls team I heard

Seems a bit odd to have Melbourne as 8th when they are .500 in conference now, with all but two of their loses coming by less than 5 points. They can easily be a top 4 team in this conference. It took them a while to get in a groove since they played football late into the year, only Melbourne and Salem from this conference participate in football. They've won 4 straight games and will be hard to beat down the stetch. They are very athletic.

GoodGuy

Quote from: GoodGuy on January 23, 2019, 09:20:42 am
The 5-2A Boys looks like this:

1. England-   11-0 with Hazen, Bigelow and Magnet Cove left
2.Bigelow-   8-3 with Maumelle Charter, England and Cutter left
3. Magnet Cove-   8-4 with Hazen and England left
4. Cutter-   7-4 with Carlisle, Poyen and Bigelow left
5. Maumelle Charter-   5-6 with Bigelow, Carlisle, and Hazen left
6. Poyen-   3-8 with Cutter, Hazen, and Carlisle left
7. Hazen-   1-9 with England, Magnet Cove, Poyen and Maumelle Charter left
8. Carlisle-   1-10 with Cutter, Maumelle Charter and Poyen left

Seeding is most likely going to be the same except Magnet Cove and Cutter could tie for 3rd and they split their series and  both will get the max 10 points so I'm not sure on the next tie breaking steps. Carlisle and Hazen will most likely tie for 7th but with them splitting and Hazen only winning by 1 point, Carlisle should be the 7 seed and Hazen the 8.

I may have been a little off on the seedings staying the same. Right now the standings look like this:

1. England 11-0
2. Bigelow 8-4
3. Magnet Cove 8-4
4. Cutter- 8-4
5. Maumelle Charter- 6-6
6. Poyen- 3-8
7. Hazen 1-9
8. Carlisle 1-11

Bigelow plays 2 of the top four teams in the conference in their last 2 games so they could end up 8-6 while Maumelle Charter could win they last 2 and get to 8-6 as well. And with Maumelle Charter beating Bigelow twice, they would be the four seed and Bigelow could be the five seed.

What I'm saying is that England is locked at 1, and Poyen, Carlisle and Hazen will be 6,7 and 8 in some order but the 2-5 will come down to the last conference game.

YSpanther

January 26, 2019, 01:08:32 am #75 Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:27:02 pm by YSpanther
Quote from: YSpanther on December 06, 2018, 09:46:34 am
Now next week, the return game back in Yellville will be next Tuesday.  After both YS and ES having to go to Flippin earlier in the year and getting waylaid there by 7 and 10 respectively, ES got their revenge tonight with a 21 point revenge win against Flippin at home.  So we will see if YS can return the favor and recoup a win against ES. The top 3 teams in the conference have held serve at home and lost to the others on the road. If Yellville can get even with Eureka next week, they have an appointment with Flippin the following week. If the trends continue, we could have a 3 way tie for first at 8-2 at the end with tiebreakers deciding the seedings at districts. The standings right now are this with 2 weeks to go in 2A-1

Flippin       7-1     Decatur, Yellville left
Eureka       6-1    Yellville, Cotter, Haas Hall left
Yellville      6-2     Eureka, Flippin left
Cotter        3-6     Eureka left
Haas Hall    2-6    Decatur, Eureka left
Decatur      0-8    Haas Hall, Flippin left

Girls standings:

Cotter       8-1
Eureka      6-1
Flippin       4-4
Decatur     3-5
Yellville      3-5
Haas Hall   0-8

ozarkmtnsman

How does the tie-breaker system work?  I know it is a point-based system

GoodGuy

If it's two teams in the tie then it goes head to head. I the teams say played twice and they split the games then it goes to the second tie breaker which is margin of victory in those games with the most points you count is 10. If the teams are still tied then it goes to the next tie breaker which is margin of victory in all conference games.

If there are three teams tied it's a little more complicated and first goes to head to head until there two teams left in the tie and then they go by the above rules. Or at least that is how I understand it.

YSpanther

Quote from: GoodGuy on January 26, 2019, 03:47:28 pm
If it's two teams in the tie then it goes head to head. I the teams say played twice and they split the games then it goes to the second tie breaker which is margin of victory in those games with the most points you count is 10. If the teams are still tied then it goes to the next tie breaker which is margin of victory in all conference games.

If there are three teams tied it's a little more complicated and first goes to head to head until there two teams left in the tie and then they go by the above rules. Or at least that is how I understand it.

What he said, but if it ends up a 3 way tie with all the head to heads a split, then I think it can get to margin in conference victories, with it capped at 10 on those as well. But Yellville-Summit has to take care of business at home to make this happen.  If they only win one then they fall to third seed at 7-3 and then one of the other 2 teams would finish at 9-1 and the other at 8-2. If they lose both, then the other two would fight it through the tiebreakers at 9-1, if they take care of business themselves.

birddawg1986

January 26, 2019, 09:39:06 pm #79 Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:50:25 am by birddawg1986
Boys

Marked Tree.     
Earle             
EPC.         
Cross County

Clarendon
Barton
Lee
Kipp Delta

Made

January 27, 2019, 01:28:39 pm #80 Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:30:58 pm by Made
Pretty sure yellville is the 3 seed even with two wins checking points now

YSpanther

Quote from: Made on January 27, 2019, 01:28:39 pm
Pretty sure yellville is the 3 seed even with two wins they had one game where they didn't get a 10 point win which gives them the least amount of points. They can still grab a share of the title though
Do you mean head to head with Eureka and Flippin or others? We only beat Cotter by 9 in one game, but Flippin has a 4 point victory against Haas Hall, a 6 vs Cotter and a 7 vs. us.  Other than the obvious losses, our only victory less than 10 in conference was Cotter by 9.  So if we were to win those 2, depending on margin, we are in a better position than Flippin, but worse than Eureka, which would probably mean a 2 seed. Because while I can see us beating Eureka, it would have to be by 10 and then they would have to only beat Haas Hall or Cotter by 9 or less.  They are in the driver's seat more at this point.

Because these are the score margins so far:

Eureka:  YS 23, Flippin -10, Decatur 22, HH 39, Cotter 31, Decatur 21, Flippin 21

Flippin: HH 4, Eureka 10, Cotter 6, YS 7, Decatur 20, HH 33, Cotter 14, Eureka -21

YS:  Eureka -23, HH 24, Cotter 19, Decatur 32, Flippin -7, Cotter 9, Decatur 33, HH 29

MomaLion

Quote from: birddawg1986 on January 26, 2019, 09:39:06 pm
Boys

Marked Tree.     
Earle             
EPC.         
Cross County

Clarendon
Barton
Lee
Kipp Delta
So will our district cross play such as with your predictions... Clarendon playing Cross Country and Marked Tree playing Kipp etc?

Made

Points per game only goes to 10, looks like yellville needs to win by a combined 14 points in last two games to grab 2 seed from Flippin win both by 10 and hope eureka drops a point or two to haas hall and or cotter

YSpanther

Quote from: MomaLion on January 27, 2019, 01:49:51 pm
So will our district cross play such as with your predictions... Clarendon playing Cross Country and Marked Tree playing Kipp etc?
If there are no surprises or upsets at district tournaments, then probably.  But I have seen weird things happen where the number one team hands down, lets down their guard and ends up the 3 seed because of a loss before the championship game, and the other district has a situation where a really solid 2 seed from their side has to play a 3 from the other that should have been the 1.  And that 3 from districts ends up being the 1 seed out of the region going into state because they got their act together, and a team that might have gotten to state otherwise gets a nasty draw at regionals because of something like that.  And you see it happen in districts more than anywhere, because coaches and teams get to know each others' weaknesses so well that in a certain game, sometimes they can exploit it with a really good shooting night thrown in.

ozarkmtnsman

So in theory, Yellville's 9 point win over Cotter vs. a 10 point win could come back to hurt them?  IF Yellville were to beat Flippin and Eureka by 10 or more, and Eureka wins by 10 in their last two games.

On another subject, It seems odd to me that some conferences have 9 teams and others have only 6 ( I believe last year there were a couple with only 5 teams, not looked at all of them this year), but still send the same number of teams to regionals.

YSpanther

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on January 27, 2019, 02:23:14 pm
So in theory, Yellville's 9 point win over Cotter vs. a 10 point win could come back to hurt them?  IF Yellville were to beat Flippin and Eureka by 10 or more, and Eureka wins by 10 in their last two games.

On another subject, It seems odd to me that some conferences have 9 teams and others have only 6 ( I believe last year there were a couple with only 5 teams, not looked at all of them this year), but still send the same number of teams to regionals.
Yes, which unfortunately creates situations where teams chasing seeding or the conference championship have an interest in running up scores and in putting starters back in when scores begin getting tight.  YS was up on Cotter much more than that, but several second teamers got significant playing time in the second half of that game against many of the Cotter starters and the point difference was arrived at on a made, last second shot by Cotter at  the end of the game. Don't know if coach regrets that at all or not.  Probably didn't think it would get down to that on a play like that.  Not sure, but it might have been a 3.

And in our conference, it wasn't planned that way.  There are 2 other private schools that did play SOME games this year, even against a few of the other conference members, but begged out of competing a full schedule in the conference.  They requested to be part of the classification process, yet didn't participate when it came down to it.  The AAA won't put more than 9 in a conference, and that is usually to try and save on travel.  It is usually where a cluster of 9 makes sense, but which one do you peel off and punish to send somewhere far away.  This conference is kind of a Frankenstein and didn't exist in previous years (It obviously did in the past, because the numbering was there).  Last cycle, Decatur was in 1A and I think Haas Hall may have been too. Flippin and Cotter were in 3A 3 years ago with us, but were in a conference with Salem and a bunch of schools to the east like BIC, EPC, Marked Tree, Sloan-Hendrix.  Eureka was down in the 2A 4 with Danville and Hackett and Lavaca.  So last year there were just 6 2A conferences, with none numbered 1,5,6 or 8 but a 4 east and west and a 7 east and west.  This year there is a 1 but not a 2, the 5 is back and has a north and south, 6 is back and so is 8, and the 4 and 7 don't have 2 parts to them. Clear as mud right?

I think what happens is with the going up and down on each end, depending on enrollment, and that changing the dynamics of which teams are close to each other, creates problems.  They try to draw 8 teams into 8 conferences, but some of these schools not running programs after they ask to be part of the mix, is what is keeping the conferences unequal.  Then you have situations like in Bruno-Pyatt, where there is a boys team, but not enough to field a girl's senior team this year.  So if you schedule them a game, then your girls don't have a game.  So you have to do 2 junior high games if you can, etc.  The  one good thing to come out of having 8 conferences again is that you have equal seeding at regionals and state, with no byes or weird brackets to try and fit 3 regions into what should be 4.

MomaLion

Quote from: YSpanther on January 27, 2019, 02:04:35 pm
If there are no surprises or upsets at district tournaments, then probably.  But I have seen weird things happen where the number one team hands down, lets down their guard and ends up the 3 seed because of a loss before the championship game, and the other district has a situation where a really solid 2 seed from their side has to play a 3 from the other that should have been the 1.  And that 3 from districts ends up being the 1 seed out of the region going into state because they got their act together, and a team that might have gotten to state otherwise gets a nasty draw at regionals because of something like that.  And you see it happen in districts more than anywhere, because coaches and teams get to know each others' weaknesses so well that in a certain game, sometimes they can exploit it with a really good shooting night thrown in.

This question was about the district tournament...they seem to have us separated within the district because we(Clarendon) only played Marianna, Kipp and Barton twice...the rest we only played once....therefore we can't do the traditional seeding.

MomaLion

Quote from: YSpanther on January 27, 2019, 06:38:11 pm
Yes, which unfortunately creates situations where teams chasing seeding or the conference championship have an interest in running up scores and in putting starters back in when scores begin getting tight.  YS was up on Cotter much more than that, but several second teamers got significant playing time in the second half of that game against many of the Cotter starters and the point difference was arrived at on a made, last second shot by Cotter at  the end of the game. Don't know if coach regrets that at all or not.  Probably didn't think it would get down to that on a play like that.  Not sure, but it might have been a 3.

And in our conference, it wasn't planned that way.  There are 2 other private schools that did play SOME games this year, even against a few of the other conference members, but begged out of competing a full schedule in the conference.  They requested to be part of the classification process, yet didn't participate when it came down to it.  The AAA won't put more than 9 in a conference, and that is usually to try and save on travel.  It is usually where a cluster of 9 makes sense, but which one do you peel off and punish to send somewhere far away.  This conference is kind of a Frankenstein and didn't exist in previous years (It obviously did in the past, because the numbering was there).  Last cycle, Decatur was in 1A and I think Haas Hall may have been too. Flippin and Cotter were in 3A 3 years ago with us, but were in a conference with Salem and a bunch of schools to the east like BIC, EPC, Marked Tree, Sloan-Hendrix.  Eureka was down in the 2A 4 with Danville and Hackett and Lavaca.  So last year there were just 6 2A conferences, with none numbered 1,5,6 or 8 but a 4 east and west and a 7 east and west.  This year there is a 1 but not a 2, the 5 is back and has a north and south, 6 is back and so is 8, and the 4 and 7 don't have 2 parts to them. Clear as mud right?

I think what happens is with the going up and down on each end, depending on enrollment, and that changing the dynamics of which teams are close to each other, creates problems.  They try to draw 8 teams into 8 conferences, but some of these schools not running programs after they ask to be part of the mix, is what is keeping the conferences unequal.  Then you have situations like in Bruno-Pyatt, where there is a boys team, but not enough to field a girl's senior team this year.  So if you schedule them a game, then your girls don't have a game.  So you have to do 2 junior high games if you can, etc.  The  one good thing to come out of having 8 conferences again is that you have equal seeding at regionals and state, with no byes or weird brackets to try and fit 3 regions into what should be 4.

This also happened with Bay this year.  As for saving on travel, we traveled much more this cycle because we lost teams like Hazen and Carlisle and picked up EPC, Earle and Marked Tree....I'm not complaining though because the level of competition has been so much better...Our District Tournament will be like a potential State Tournament.

YSpanther

Quote from: MomaLion on January 27, 2019, 11:38:56 pm
This also happened with Bay this year.  As for saving on travel, we traveled much more this cycle because we lost teams like Hazen and Carlisle and picked up EPC, Earle and Marked Tree....I'm not complaining though because the level of competition has been so much better...Our District Tournament will be like a potential State Tournament.
It is very likely that your district will eliminate teams that could beat teams coming to your regional from the other conference.  Trust me when I say that nobody from our regional is looking forward to getting your regional (which will probably be your conference for the most part) as our total matchup in the first round of state.  When a conference is this stacked (I believe you had 3 of the last 4 left at state last year), I believe we should share the wealth and shuffle the entire field so that the whole state can enjoy your greatness  ;D.  Since we will all be in the same place, it really doesn't make sense to totally match up one regional totally against the other.  I understand why conferences are paired together for regionals, for travel purposes.  But we are all going to Carlisle if we all make it that far.

ozarkmtnsman

Looking at the records in the 2A-1. I don't think it really matters who gets the 1 or 2 spot, or even the 3 for that matter. Maybe for bragging rights.  The bottom 3 (out of 6) in this conference are terrible. It's crazy to think that either Haas Hall, Cotter, or Decatur will be going to regionals.

I wonder if playing in this conference does more harm than good. If you are a decent team, you are almost guaranteed post-season play, which is good for any program.

However, the level of play is subpar with several of these schools. In the long run it could bring your program down.

Yellville and Flippin (and possibly cotter) will probably move back to 3A in the near future.  This would be a tough move up after playing in the 2A-1 for a few seasons.

GassvilleDragonfly

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on January 28, 2019, 11:26:59 am
Looking at the records in the 2A-1. I don't think it really matters who gets the 1 or 2 spot, or even the 3 for that matter. Maybe for bragging rights.  The bottom 3 (out of 6) in this conference are terrible. It's crazy to think that either Haas Hall, Cotter, or Decatur will be going to regionals.

I wonder if playing in this conference does more harm than good. If you are a decent team, you are almost guaranteed post-season play, which is good for any program.

However, the level of play is subpar with several of these schools. In the long run it could bring your program down.

Yellville and Flippin (and possibly cotter) will probably move back to 3A in the near future.  This would be a tough move up after playing in the 2A-1 for a few seasons.

I agree with that. I played at Cotter when we last made the switch to 3A from 2A. It did help the guys side of things because we were talented in both basketball and baseball, as shown by our state tournament run in 2015 baseball, but we also played a lot better competition in both classifications. While we were 2A, we played the local 3A teams for non conference, which is probably the best crop of sports talent that area will have for a few years. To go on top of that, we played a pretty rough conference schedule to boot, with having to play Cedar Ridge when they had the Reaves and Crabtree brothers in their first two state championships.
That's all to say, that even with our better preparedness to make that move, we were by no means the best team in that conference the two years stint  we were in 3A. It'll be probably a harsher transition for Cotter, Flippin, and YS if and when they move back.

YSpanther

Quote from: Made on January 27, 2019, 01:28:39 pm
Pretty sure yellville is the 3 seed even with two wins checking points now
Doesn't matter now.  You were a prognosticator without being right on the points situation.  Eureka flat out came into Yellville and outplayed them in every phase of the game except maybe rebounding.  But when you are shooting that good, it doesn't really better.  They outshot us, outdefended us and took a 6 point lead at the half and made it ten at the end of the 3rd and it was somewhere around 20 at the end of the game because of freethrows, desperate pressing etc.  Yellville has larger and more physical athletes and really should have good chemistry, since this same group started and played almost every minute of 9th grade together while winning junior high district in the 3A, 4 of them have played together since the 5th grade together, but Eureka has played much better as a team both times they have met this year.  I don't know if we bring out their best or what, but when you look at some of their scores against common opponents, it makes me scratch my head a bit.  Sometimes matchups just favor one team and barring some weird freak happening, Eureka should finish number one, and even if Yellville does beat Flippin next week, I don't see anyone on the rest of their schedule doing that to them too, so Eureka will finish with 1 loss, Flippin with 2 at worst and Yellville with 3 at best.  So you pretty much have the seeding at the top, Haas Hall and Cotter are duking it out for the 4 and 5 honors. 

future_coach®

Quote from: YSpanther on January 29, 2019, 09:24:17 pm
I don't know if we bring out their best or what, but when you look at some of their scores against common opponents, it makes me scratch my head a bit.

Did it ever occur to you that Eureka Springs is just the better basketball team? Honestly, it's just two teams at different levels. 26-5 speaks for itself.

YSpanther

Quote from: future_coach® on January 30, 2019, 11:57:50 am
Did it ever occur to you that Eureka Springs is just the better basketball team? Honestly, it's just two teams at different levels. 26-5 speaks for itself.
The better team, obviously.  Records do speak for themselves.  But if you were to divide up all of the starters on both teams and shuffle them around at a camp and just look at sheer athletic talent and basketball skills while doing drills, etc. even a seasoned coach would be hard pressed to pick out the ones that played on one team or the other.  And the gist of the previous post is that I have watched and even contributed at times (at a lower level) to the starting 5 developing over 8 years of time here.  There should be better chemistry or "knowing what is coming" from a pass, teammate etc. on the Yellville side.  It kills me for them.  I want them to succeed and be successful.  Eureka is not more talented individually or athletically.  But they are definitely a great team and have proven hands down that they are the best team in conference this year, especially in regards to being a team and playing as one and making the right pass and being in the right spot on defense when and where it was needed.

As someone who has watched a lot of basketball, I can say that they are a great team, but one that is not the most naturally talented.  I really don't know what you mean or how to take the  "it's just two teams at different levels".  If you are a Eureka fan, then I get it.  They are good and deserve some credit.  But unless you have seen some of the games I am talking about, it is hard to explain. Many of those 26 wins have been against teams that would've been overmatched by either of these teams.  Both of lost by about the same amount to a Flippin team that is not very tall, but is quick and plays hard.  So if you think I was making excuses, you would be wrong.  I am actually a little baffled.  Ask Ozark, or anyone else in the area, maybe from some place like Cotter or Marshall or somewhere else that have seen both of them play.  The raw talent level is not that different, and the game wasn't a blowout until the fouling and grabbing for steals the last few minutes.  Yellville shot the ball last night like they didn't know they could put it through that hoop.  Other games recently, they could hardly miss.  The 1-3-1 that Eureka runs is very good and is probably the best answer.  I would not be surprised to see them end up head to head in the 1 seed game against Lavaca at the regionals going into state.

girlsbbfanatic

Quote from: thebigman3 on September 11, 2018, 09:30:19 am
I'd be surprised if WCC or Quitman does not win this conference with boys, but I'm going to take Pangburn girls to win the conference this year.

Pangburn beat Quitman boys the other night. Quitman looked good early but fallin apart now. Quitman girls really down this year to. 2A is a joke in girls.

MomaLion

Boys

Marked Tree.     
Earle             
EPC.         
Cross County

Clarendon
Barton
Lee
Kipp Delta

Where is McCrory in this?

MomaLion

Boys

Marked Tree.     
Earle             
EPC.         
Cross County

Clarendon
Barton
Lee
Kipp Delta
Where's McCrory in this?

MomaLion

Quote from: YSpanther on January 28, 2019, 09:17:16 am
It is very likely that your district will eliminate teams that could beat teams coming to your regional from the other conference.  Trust me when I say that nobody from our regional is looking forward to getting your regional (which will probably be your conference for the most part) as our total matchup in the first round of state.  When a conference is this stacked (I believe you had 3 of the last 4 left at state last year), I believe we should share the wealth and shuffle the entire field so that the whole state can enjoy your greatness  ;D.  Since we will all be in the same place, it really doesn't make sense to totally match up one regional totally against the other.  I understand why conferences are paired together for regionals, for travel purposes.  But we are all going to Carlisle if we all make it that far.

True...and some good teams from our district won't even make regionals. Heck, nothing is a given.  It'll be a fight every night.

birddawg1986

Quote from: MomaLion on January 31, 2019, 03:09:30 am
Where's McCrory in this?
I'm not sure which side McCrory is on. They will either play Cross Co/Kipp Delta for the 4th place spot to see who gets MT or Clarendon.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas