• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on December 31, 2016, 02:07:38 pm
BB is too scared for Arkansas to play a real non conference schedule. He would rather play Coastal Carolina, Florida A&M, and New Mexico State. Playing one halfway decent power 5 doesn't make your schedule good when you play 3 other absolute garbage teams. TCU was flat out mediocre this year after their really good years. They will probably be 4th, 5th, or 6th in the Big 12 again next year and we will call that a "tough" non conference game. The only reason Arkansas salvages a semi normal record next year is because our non conference schedule is so weak. We should be thanking Michigan because we would have been thumped at the big house.

Let's see, first you moron about the schedule, and then when a series gets pulled by the other team, you moron some more about Arkansas. The best I can figure out is you like to moron about everything. TCU may be whatever next year, they have been very good, and they have been ok. I'm betting when we win a game, you say it's because the other team played bad, or were overrated.

Jacketman65

Going to watch some real football now, Alabama is playing!

Trojanbird

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2016, 02:19:01 pm
Let's see, first you moron about the schedule, and then when a series gets pulled by the other team, you moron some more about Arkansas. The best I can figure out is you like to moron about everything. TCU may be whatever next year, they have been very good, and they have been ok. I'm betting when we win a game, you say it's because the other team played bad, or were overrated.
Since BB has been here Arkansas has been way overrated! IMO

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2016, 02:19:01 pm

I am a moron for calling Coastal Carolina, New Mexico State, and Florida A&M terrible competition?

cuckoobird

I put 2+2 together and apparently rice lost his cool but thankfully the language filter caught it for him and replaced it with moron. In my best Goober voice, "citizens arrest, citizens arrest!!" Name calling is not allowed on this forum

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 31, 2016, 05:39:25 pm
I put 2+2 together and apparently rice lost his cool but thankfully the language filter caught it for him and replaced it with moron. In my best Goober voice, "citizens arrest, citizens arrest!!" Name calling is not allowed on this forum

More than the language filter they need automatic spell check on this site....

cuckoobird

Well if you can't tell, he's not that smart

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on December 31, 2016, 04:35:53 pm
I am a moron for calling Coastal Carolina, New Mexico State, and Florida A&M terrible competition?

Moron is a replacement word for one that stars with a b. Go look at every SEC team, the vast majority play 1 decent/tough OOC game, and the rest about equal to ours. Now, if TCU and Michigan were at their top, or stayed on the schedule would you complain?

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 31, 2016, 05:39:25 pm

Mad, not hardly, I guess the b word is bad to you. I'll use complain next time, for your virgin ears.

cuckoobird

Bad for me, no but apparently it is for FF. I didn't set the language filters. Are you ever right?

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 31, 2016, 06:02:59 pm
Bad for me, no but apparently it is for FF. I didn't set the language filters. Are you ever right?

Dude, I'm never wrong, lol.

AirWarren

Clemson has a freshman WR named mike Williams. #1 WR per Todd Mcshay. From Vance, SC. There is your difference in top programs and us.

1. Location. South Carolina teams don't have to go elsewhere due to its own in state talent. And proximity to outside state talent.
2. Whether it's South Carolina or Clemson, in state talent stays home.

It matters folks.

cuckoobird

Well aw you know we have it but it's usually below I-40 and overlooked.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on December 31, 2016, 06:29:45 pm
Clemson has a freshman WR named mike Williams. #1 WR per Todd Mcshay. From Vance, SC. There is your difference in top programs and us.

1. Location. South Carolina teams don't have to go elsewhere due to its own in state talent. And proximity to outside state talent.
2. Whether it's South Carolina or Clemson, in state talent stays home.

It matters folks.

He's no freshman.

http://247sports.com/Player/Mike-Williams-10555

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 31, 2016, 06:38:22 pm
Well aw you know we have it but it's usually below I-40 and overlooked.

We've had 4* in south Arkansas that were overlooked?

cuckoobird

I don't believe in the star system and neither do the coaches. They should recruit what fits their system and not rely on a rating system from some guys who have probably never lined up. I think you said that to remember, coaches don't let recruiting sites recruit for them

AirWarren

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 31, 2016, 06:50:26 pm
I don't believe in the star system and neither do the coaches. They should recruit what fits their system and not rely on a rating system from some guys who have probably never lined up. I think you said that to remember, coaches don't let recruiting sites recruit for them

They don't, but that didn't answer the question, as usual.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on December 31, 2016, 06:52:58 pm
Misheard them then. Thought he was a Fr.

Nope, but he missed all of last year with a neck injury, I believe.

Coach Venny Slocombe

lol...I have figured it out...Rice is actually the "Sunshine Pumper" himself...Ole Rick Schaeffer...

beach bum

nuttinbuthogs

UA athletics is not where it ought to be.  Anybody care to explain why?
Talent? Coaching?

cuckoobird

Before he's on TV again in an SEC storied, someone needs to get him a professional haircut. I'll foot the bill if i have to.

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 01, 2017, 12:58:41 pm
Before he's on TV again in an SEC storied, someone needs to get him a professional haircut. I'll foot the bill if i have to.

Back when I was in college it had snowed/sleeted/iced and I was heading down Stadium Dr to the house, I hit a patch and boloed his car, I should have hit it harder, lol.

SackAttack

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 01, 2017, 10:51:36 am
UA athletics is not where it ought to be.  Anybody care to explain why?
Talent? Coaching?
As for football we typically recruit to a 5-7 or6-6 season and we expect our coaches to get them to 9-3 or10-2. Not going to happen in the SEC. Plain and simple we dont have enough across the board talent to get to an elite level. Not trying to be negative but ask yourself how many of our OL could start for other teams in the conference. 2 Ragnow and skipper. DL zero Linebackers 1 Greenlaw when hes healthy. We were good enough in the other spots. All in my opinion only.

Basketball is totally on the coaching staff and style of play!! 100% bust there

beach bum

January 01, 2017, 08:44:34 pm #75 Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:46:58 pm by beach bum
Quote from: SackAttack on January 01, 2017, 08:33:48 pm
As for football we typically recruit to a 5-7 or6-6 season

What? I almost laughed when I saw this.... We play three teams a year in non conference every year which all three of them combined probably don't even sniff our athletic budget. For example, next year it is Florida A&M, New Mexico State, and Coastal Carolina. We also get the luxury of playing Missouri every year now, then we should always at least split the Mississippi schools. There are 5 games we should NEVER lose every season as it is unacceptable to lose to teams that don't have the resources of an SEC West program. College is not pro. As a major program you should walk into a season check marking at least 4 wins. So you are telling me you are ok with going 2-6 or 1-7 in the rest of the tough games we play?

beach bum

Quote from: SackAttack on January 01, 2017, 08:33:48 pm

Basketball is totally on the coaching staff and style of play!! 100% bust there

In basketball we can't land top recruits anymore because who wants to play in front of an arena with 60% of the seats filled? Except for like 2 games this year we can barely fill the seats. Watch a Big Ten, ACC, or Big East game and look at the crowd. That is why kids go to other schools besides Arkansas and most SEC schools in basketball. If I was 18 and a top 100 recruit I would never go to Arkansas. I love the basketball Hogs to death, but its the harsh truth. I wouldn't come here. It's obvious as day that the Midwest and east coast cares about basketball more than the South and recruits know it too.

SackAttack

I never anywhere in that said I was okay with it.Quite the contrary! I said this is what we do. We recruit to the tune of a 5-7 or 6-6 season. Do you see 10-2 or 9-3 talent on our sideline?? I dont! Yes there are 4 built in wins every year. This is merely my observation!!

SackAttack

Quote from: beach bum on January 01, 2017, 08:50:19 pm
In basketball we can't land top recruits anymore because who wants to play in front of an arena with 60% of the seats filled? Except for like 2 games this year we can barely fill the seats. Watch a Big Ten, ACC, or Big East game and look at the crowd. That is why kids go to other schools besides Arkansas and most SEC schools in basketball. If I was 18 and a top 100 recruit I would never go to Arkansas. I love the basketball Hogs to death, but its the harsh truth. I wouldn't come here. It's obvious as day that the Midwest and east coast cares about basketball more than the South and recruits know it too.
Agree and no big time recruit wants to come to Arkansas and play 24-25 minutes a game.

fastdrop

January 02, 2017, 06:28:55 am #79 Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 06:33:33 am by fastdrop
Quote from: SackAttack on January 01, 2017, 09:08:36 pm
Agree and no big time recruit wants to come to Arkansas and play 24-25 minutes a game.
not just Arkansas in the SEC............

Cal can go to any state in the SEC and grab the next pro player that state produces. Hurts every program in SEC states. Louisville is the only team I can think of that has done very well during this one and done era of semi pro college basketball in a SEC state.

mack

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2016, 05:53:20 pm
Moron is a replacement word for one that stars with a b. Go look at every SEC team, the vast majority play 1 decent/tough OOC game, and the rest about equal to ours. Now, if TCU and Michigan were at their top, or stayed on the schedule would you complain?

Careful... BG Lockmaster is gonna shut ya'll down🤐

cuckoobird

I spit my "pop" out when i read skipper could start for anyone else. That dude gets beat more than a red headed step child

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 02, 2017, 01:50:04 pm
I spit my "pop" out when i read skipper could start for anyone else. That dude gets beat more than a red headed step child

Some would probably disagree.

https://twitter.com/RazorbackFB/status/809168101589876736

SackAttack

This sounds like experience talking to me!

nuttinbuthogs

Lesser talent, lesser coaching?  I'd say we are starting to see the effect of both.  Except for die-hard Arkansas fans raised in state, who would choose UA over Bama, LSU, GA, Auburn, Florida, TN, , not many for sure.  KY in basketball, can have any AR kid it wants, can't blame em.  BB needs to worry less about his media time and work on scheme and recruiting.

Jacketman65

Hate to agree with ya, but you are right.  The worst All American I have seen, pass blocking skills are non existant. The NFL will prove this if he plays at a tackle position.  Just too slow with his feet!  IMO!  Most QB sacks came at skippers missed blocks!

Trojanbird

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 02, 2017, 09:12:23 pm
Lesser talent, lesser coaching?  I'd say we are starting to see the effect of both.  Except for die-hard Arkansas fans raised in state, who would choose UA over Bama, LSU, GA, Auburn, Florida, TN, , not many for sure.  KY in basketball, can have any AR kid it wants, can't blame em.  BB needs to worry less about his media time and work on scheme and recruiting.
Well said!

Jacketman65

Quote from: ricepig on January 02, 2017, 04:20:28 pm
Some would probably disagree.

https://twitter.com/RazorbackFB/status/809168101589876736
4.2 million  and yes we are skipping out on the wins!  At this point the pigs would rather steal, spit, fight, embarrass and lose!

Coach Venny Slocombe

That article is spot on. Nobody can tell me that the Razorback football program should be average year in and year out. This has been proven, CBP proved it just a few years ago. We can talk recruiting base, blah, blah, blah all day long. Bottom line is...CBB is getting paid 4 million a year. That my friends is above average pay for doing an average job. That doesn't and shouldn't fly. Now, if average is what we want to be...then just dissolve the program. We may never be Bama, not many are...but we should be well above average. 8 to 9 wins per year with the occasional run at the SEC title game would be great. Winning 10 games once every four years should be doable...

Folks, we are not even close to 10 games...and we have facilities that rival any in the nation...money doesn't seem to be an object...we have had quality assistants...

Year 5 is time...the building and re-building is over...you can't use that excuse every year because every other school does the same thing, every other school loses key players...it's time next year. Win or start hiring planes to fly over the stadium... ;)

AirWarren

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 03, 2017, 09:27:54 am
That article is spot on. Nobody can tell me that the Razorback football program should be average year in and year out. This has been proven, CBP proved it just a few years ago. We can talk recruiting base, blah, blah, blah all day long. Bottom line is...CBB is getting paid 4 million a year. That my friends is above average pay for doing an average job. That doesn't and shouldn't fly. Now, if average is what we want to be...then just dissolve the program. We may never be Bama, not many are...but we should be well above average. 8 to 9 wins per year with the occasional run at the SEC title game would be great. Winning 10 games once every four years should be doable...

Folks, we are not even close to 10 games...and we have facilities that rival any in the nation...money doesn't seem to be an object...we have had quality assistants...

Year 5 is time...the building and re-building is over...you can't use that excuse every year because every other school does the same thing, every other school loses key players...it's time next year. Win or start hiring planes to fly over the stadium... ;)

This is certainly the year of reckoning or redemption for coach B.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on January 03, 2017, 09:36:39 am
This is certainly the year of reckoning or redemption for coach B.

I doubt there will be any that disagree with this. The win total and finishes will have to improve, or the chapter will start closing on this book.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 09:48:32 am
I doubt there will be any that disagree with this. The win total and finishes will have to improve, or the chapter will start closing on this book.

Meanwhile Wisconsin continues to roll.

2013 9-4
2014 11-3
2015 10-3
2016 11-3

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on January 03, 2017, 10:37:57 am
Meanwhile Wisconsin continues to roll.

2013 9-4
2014 11-3
2015 10-3
2016 11-3

They've had a successful, stable program for years, that helps.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 11:18:45 am
They've had a successful, stable program for years, that helps.
they had three different head coaches in three years during that span. So there's that.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: LRRandy on January 03, 2017, 11:20:41 am
they had three different head coaches in three years during that span. So there's that.
CBB inherited a good program from Barry Alvarez and rode that wave...I think we have all figured out that CBB cannot build a program... ;)

zebradynasty

The link posted above brings out, WE or somebody has to wonder if Arkansas has a winning culture? The fact that Wisconsin hasn't skipped a beat since losing BB and has never had a problem closing out games...kinda points to Arkansas not having a winning culture. BB is paid well to make us into one but right now there are more questions than answers concerning the football program.

LRRandy

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 03, 2017, 11:39:20 am
CBB inherited a good program from Barry Alvarez and rode that wave...I think we have all figured out that CBB cannot build a program... ;)
he is also complacent. There may be ( should be) something going on behind the scenes with regards to coaching changes but Urban Meyer has already changed OC after his dumpster fire Saturday night.

AirWarren

January 03, 2017, 12:27:48 pm #98 Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:47:10 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: zebradynasty on January 03, 2017, 11:44:42 am
The link posted above brings out, WE or somebody has to wonder if Arkansas has a winning culture? The fact that Wisconsin hasn't skipped a beat since losing BB and has never had a problem closing out games...kinda points to Arkansas not having a winning culture. BB is paid well to make us into one but right now there are more questions than answers concerning the football program.

Excellent point. As a fan of the hogs for 31 years, I don't think we have a solid culture of winning. I think as a program, we hope to win. Winning programs go into games knowing they will win.

ricepig

January 03, 2017, 01:46:30 pm #99 Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:51:48 pm by ricepig

Correct, they weren't firing them were they? Because, there's that......also, check you math on head coaches, unless you're counting Barry's one game. Andersen for two years, and Chryst for two.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas