• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#5 Arkansas @ #2 UGA

Started by rsvl_hogfan4, April 17, 2009, 05:59:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rsvl_hogfan4

April 17, 2009, 05:59:38 pm Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:01:35 pm by rsvl_hogfan4
Hogs are playing at top 5 UGA This week. This will be a huge series. Taking 2 from UGA would put us right back on track.

It is on Cox Sports right now. The game tomorrow is on FSN, and then Sunday is on Cox Sports again.

rsvl_hogfan4

April 17, 2009, 06:14:30 pm #1 Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 07:47:25 pm by rsvl_hogfan4
Hogs are already on the board in the top of the 1st.

2 outs and a 3-1 count, Ben Tschepikow takes on yard in center.

Keuchel usually doesn't walk many. He walks the leadoff batter and the 3rd batter. The cleanup batter hits a 3 run homer. Just like that the Hogs are down 3-1. We are always playing from behind after the 1st inning.

Hogs are down 3-2 in the bottom of the 6th. Other than the first inning where he left one up in the zone, Keuchel has pitched good. He has struck out 4 batters so far. I sure wish we could have that first inning back where he walked two and gave up the HR, though.

rsvl_hogfan4

Hogs lose 4-3. Frustrating game considering the circumstances. We had a lot of opportunities, but blew it. We got thrown out in the top of the 9th at home. We also had the winning runner picked off in between 2nd and 1st. He stopped in between the bases and was an easy out. Cisterna over throws Lyons, though to advance the runner to 2nd. With 1 out UGA hits a ball off the wall to win the game.

RD™

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: RD™ on April 17, 2009, 09:11:37 pm
FUNDAMENTALS
Yep. Too many errors, walks, and horrible plate discipline by a few batters blew this. Still was a good game. No shame in losing in the last inning to a top team like UGA. I just don't understand why some of our batters, Eibner in particular, went up to the plate swinging at 4 or 5 pitches above his hands when the pitcher was clearly struggling. He fouled a few off, and eventually struck out. He had 1 pitch in his 7 or 8 pitch at bat that was a strike.

RD™

I still think we can win the series.

Uncle Ivan

rsvl_hogfan4

We will have to be patient in this game, too. I don't think we will score too many until late in the game. We won't score many on this current pitcher I don't think. He is a lefty, and we absolutely suck against LHP.

rsvl_hogfan4

Hogs are up 2-0 in the 4th inning. We have runners on 3rd and 2nd with no outs, so we can add to this lead.

rsvl_hogfan4

April 18, 2009, 01:03:14 pm #9 Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:06:46 pm by rsvl_hogfan4
UGA getting a little bit of home field calls. They already awarded a player first after he squared to bunt and fouled one off. They said it hit his chest. I don't know too many players that can take a fast ball to the chest and not at least hold their chest going to first. He didn't act like it hit him at all.

Just now their first baseman made an amazing catch climbing the fence, and then threw it home on us trying to take home. Wilkins had his entire leg across the plate before he was tagged and they called him out.

Wahls

Wilkins scored by a good 3 feet, and the home plate umpire was directly behind the catcher and couldn't have possibly seen the play. He should have defered because he was screened, but what are ya gonna do...

RHS

Eibner a bit unlucky. Takes a 3-2 breaking ball right back up the midle that would have scored Kuhn. Only problem was it nailed the pitcher in the arm and he got Eibner at first for the 3rd out. Maybe it'll drive him from the game though.

rsvl_hogfan4

UGA hits a 2 run homer in the 6th inning. They really haven't been close to scoring on us in this game, so it sucks that it ties. Especially since we got screwed at home and should still be winning by at least 1.

Still cannot believe we have the bases loaded with no outs and get nothing out of it.

rsvl_hogfan4

April 18, 2009, 02:18:34 pm #13 Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:27:13 pm by rsvl_hogfan4
Ridiculous....

UGA takes a lead off a 2 out single in the bottom of the 7th. The same guy that got the RBI today got the game winning one last night.

We were in complete control of this game, and now we are losing. We better get our bats going or we are going to drop our 4th straight conference game. It doesn't look good.

The broadcasters just said before they went to commercial "We have had many controversial calls, with many of them going against Arkansas." That and lack of hitting sums this game up.

Andy Wilkins crushes a ball out of the park to tie it up at 3. Hopefully this pitcher stays in for the 9th, but I doubt he does. He throws the straightest fastball I have seen, and shows the ball the entire time he in his delivery. I loved hitting against those type of pitchers. If he is still in we will win it in the 9th.

RD™

Wilkins crushed the freek out of that ball.

rsvl_hogfan4

The same guy that won the game in the bottom of the 9th for UGA did it again. Hit down the line scores the runner from 1st. We had him out at home but Cisterna dropped the ball. I have been saying McCann is the better catcher, and he continues to look better. Cisterna should have caught that.

I know we lost another series, but this proves we are capable of hanging with the top teams. UGA is the best team in the SEC and it took a full 9 innings for them to beat us at home. The ball didn't bounce our way and we got 3 or 4 pretty bad calls that went against us, other wise the outcome would be different. Good game, though.

bleudog

April 18, 2009, 03:08:09 pm #16 Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:14:54 pm by bleudog
Good game.  Don't be too hard on the catcher.  Looked like the Bulldog would have gotten under the tag even if he had held on.  The ball bounced around just a little too long in the outfield corner.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: bleudog on April 18, 2009, 03:08:09 pm
Good game.  Don't be too hard on the catcher.  Looked like the Bulldog would have gotten under the tag even if he had held on.
Yeah, when they showed the other angle I saw that. He would have been safe more than likely. Tough loss. Especially since through 6 UGA had not even been close to scoring on us, really. One pitch left up in the zone that was taking yard is all it took to turn this game around. Crazy that both games ended in a 4-3 that took a hit by Cerione in the 9th.

Wahls

The whole Wilkins play irritates me because the home plate umpire was screened and still made the call.

rsvl_hogfan4

April 19, 2009, 02:28:08 pm #19 Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:29:58 pm by rsvl_hogfan4
Chase Leavitt just had a 2 RBI double to give the Hogs a 2-0 lead in the top of the 6th. We haven't scored more than 1 run in an inning in this series, so this is definitely what we have been missing. Hopefully we can add to this lead and take something positive home with us out of this series.

Eibner has 7 strikeouts and has only given up 1 hit through 5 innings. Cerione is the only guy that has a hit today. He has killed us this weekend. He is definitely the hero of this series for UGA.

rsvl_hogfan4

Eibner is making these guys look stupid. Eibner has struck out every batter in the UGA lineup. He still has only given up 1 hit through 7, and has struck out 11. He has retired the last 8 batters.

Kuhn just had a catch going over the fence to the bullpen.

RHS

Eibner finished with a CG shutout, allowing only 1 hit and striking out 12 (walked 4 I think).

Most K's for a Hog pitcher since Jess Todd fanned 17 in 2007.
First 1 hitter for a Hog since 1996.
First time Georgia had been 1 hit since 1994 or 1995.

bleudog

Now this is a good looking box score:

CLICK HERE

RHS

Hogs only trail UGA for the overall SEC lead by 1.5 games (wish we could have taken one of the other 2 we lost in the 9th).

LSU lost their series against UT, and thus we now lead the SEC West again.

rsvl_hogfan4

I know we went 2-3 this week and that doesn't look good, but other than the loss to ULM, the Hogs really didn't play bad this week. Our bats weren't what we wish they could have been, but we dominated the Bulldogs in the 3rd game, controlled the game through 6 innings in game 2 but slipped up at the end, and took them to the wire in game 1. This series could have gone either way. Definitely improved from the Vandy series.

We need to make sure we take this next series from Tennessee. A sweep would be awesome here. We still have a chance for a national seed.

stattracker

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on April 19, 2009, 04:41:27 pm
I know we went 2-3 this week and that doesn't look good, but other than the loss to ULM, the Hogs really didn't play bad this week. Our bats weren't what we wish they could have been, but we dominated the Bulldogs in the 3rd game, controlled the game through 6 innings in game 2 but slipped up at the end, and took them to the wire in game 1. This series could have gone either way. Definitely improved from the Vandy series.

We need to make sure we take this next series from Tennessee. A sweep would be awesome here. We still have a chance for a national seed.

2 losses by 1 run to the 2nd ranked Bulldogs is nothing to look down on. Those were two good game as well. They literally could have gone either way. The Hogs will be fine.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas