• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smith Center Kansas high school coach, named coach of the year

Started by powerlifter90, January 05, 2008, 11:16:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

powerlifter90

Smith Center coach Roger Barta receives national honor

Hastings Tribune
sports@hastingstribune.com
After winning his fourth straight state title in the fall, Smith Center football coach Roger Barta now can add another honor to his coaching résumé.
Barta has been named 2008 Field Turf Bill Yoast National Coach of the Year award by the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Selection Committee.
"The U.S. Army proudly presents Roger Barta as a leader of young men and an excellent example of Army values," said Col. David Lee, Director of Strategic Communications, Marketing and Outreach for the U.S. Army Accessions Command in a press release.
Barta, who has been coaching at the high school level for 30 years, has guided Smith Center to seven Kansas state championships. The Redmen have won 54 games in a row and outscored their opponents 844-20 this past season.
Barta holds a career recorded of 276-58.

Quite Frankly

Bug, do you know the guy?  It's obv a great honor but seems a little bit far afield for FF.  Free country of course.

But seriously, you have a connection?

I love the old guys that have been around 30 years and still have it.  Arkansas has lost quite a few in the past few years.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Quite Frankly on January 05, 2008, 01:57:39 pm
Bug, do you know the guy?  It's obv a great honor but seems a little bit far afield for FF.  Free country of course.

But seriously, you have a connection?

I love the old guys that have been around 30 years and still have it.  Arkansas has lost quite a few in the past few years.

myself and a couple other people have been posting about the Smith Center team most of the season, especially after they made national news following a regular season where nobody scored on them, I think the 844-20 score really catches most people's eye.   Smith Center happens to be about 20 miles South of where I grew up and we actually didn't play them in football but did in Legion baseball.  The lady that lives across the street from my mom has a grandson that is one of their star RB's, I played with his uncle in high school.  The thing about SC is they have ALWAYS been good as far back as I can remember, the have one heck of a strength and conditioning program and the play basic wishbone on offense.  The closest thing to their program down here would be Barton back in the 80's and 90's.  Every kid that can physically suit up for the football team does, in other words if you aren't in a wheel chair you play.  Allot of the kids are "farm kids" and they have chores and responsibilities at home so football is 3rd or 4th on their list of priorities, but Barta keeps the weight room open all hours so they can get their workout it.  To the best of my knowledge there has been only two D1 players ever at SC.   

Quite Frankly

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas