• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson gets a second chance with Mexico

Started by DIG-BIG, August 22, 2007, 02:46:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DIG-BIG

EL PASO, Texas -- Nolan Richardson is dressed appropriately in Mexican flag colors, with a red shirt that has a touch of green, and bright white pants. He has the command of his new team, the Mexican national team, in UTEP's locker room at the Don Haskins Center.

They are listening to every word, sometimes in Spanish, sometimes English and at times, in spanglish.

"The way we play, there's no room for no one loafing offensively or defensively," Richardson shouts in the locker room during halftime of a recent exhibition game against a collection of New Mexico and New Mexico State former players. "No room. Nobody plays like us. Nadie. You gotta believe that. Nadie. We don't have to scout nobody. Porque we're gonna play the way we wanna play. ... And if they wanna play like we wanna play, we're in control."

Richardson is 65 years old now, his dark black hair gone gray, his tight mustache now speckled white and his waistline some 30 pounds slimmer. He is five years removed from his contract being bought out at the University of Arkansas, where he won a national championship in 1994 and coached the Razorbacks to three Final Four appearances in 17 seasons. Richardson's appearance isn't the only thing that has changed.

"Rápido ...rápido ... rápido," Richardson extols.

Richardson grew up in El Paso playing basketball with Mexicans across the border in Juarez.

So, it was natural for him to accept the Mexico national team coaching job, to teach his "40 Minutes of heck" style to the team as it prepares for the Tournament of the Americas in Las Vegas from Wednesday through Sept. 2. The Mexicans have to finish in the top five for a chance to qualify for the 2008 Olympics. The top two teams earn automatic berths. The teams that finish three through five get a chance to play in an Olympic qualifying event against teams from Europe and Asia in June 2008 prior to Beijing. Mexico has made only seven Olympic appearances, its last coming in 1976. It has won just one medal, a bronze in 1936.

Wampus_Cat

Haha, from national championship winning to coaching a Mexican National Team...

Count it!

Fat Money

Quite Frankly

August 22, 2007, 06:15:56 pm #3 Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:09:24 pm by Quite Frankly
If he can keep his mouth shut a litte longer, he will find himself back in pretty good shape with Hog fans.

People are forgiving.

Edit:  See further elaborating below to get a more detailed view from me.  I didn't mean to say he deserved it or not.  Anyway, look down a few posts.   ;D

Wang Lung

You obviously didn't read the article.

He has no intention of keeping his mouth shut.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: DIG-BIG on August 22, 2007, 02:46:48 pmNolan Richardson is dressed appropriately in Mexican flag colors, with a red shirt that has a touch of green, and bright white pants.

Only Nolan.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: Wang Lung on August 22, 2007, 07:16:31 pm

Oh I read it.......

Note the IF.   

He can't help himself and it will delay his shot at a warm moment down the road.

BTW, he will be on Outside the Lines on ESPN on Sunday morning.

For me, it'll be his last opp to take some responsibility for his own actions.  At no point has he acted as if he did a dang thing wrong.  Which is not a correct path to take.  If he could act a little less arrogant instead of the victim role he would find the general public willing to take him back and move on.

It's fine he hates Broyles.  I mean who likes someone that fires them?  But there will be a moment he needs to bite some of the pride and publically admit he wasn't himself.

Sounds to me like he doesn't intend to take that path.  Saying "what if" about the future as he saw it rings hollow.

I liked him for a long time, but his actions were his actions.  His tantrums were embarrassing.  He still seems unapologetic.

Without a change in his viewpoint or some humility he stays right were he put himself.

I want there to be a nice "group hug" one day.  But he needs to come half way.

Throwback1

Quote from: Quite Frankly on August 22, 2007, 06:15:56 pm
If he can keep his mouth shut a litte longer, he will find himself back in pretty good shape with Hog fans.

People are forgiving. 

Some might.  But this guy, who I defended rabidly for YEARS, was at that time the HIGHEST PAID STATE EMPLOYEE IN THE HISTORY OF THE STATE OF ARKANSAS, and he was a victim of racism???????   I doubt there has ever been a public figure in our state who was MORE racist that Nolan, or more ungrateful or more blinded by lifelong bitterness.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: Throwback1 on August 22, 2007, 08:01:33 pm
Quote from: Quite Frankly on August 22, 2007, 06:15:56 pm

People are forgiving. 

Some might.  But this guy, who I defended rabidly for YEARS, was at that time the HIGHEST PAID STATE EMPLOYEE IN THE HISTORY OF THE STATE OF ARKANSAS, and he was a victim of racism???????   I doubt there has ever been a public figure in our state who was MORE racist that Nolan, or more ungrateful or more blinded by lifelong bitterness.

Look at the post right above yours. 

zebradynasty

I thought he has already apologized to the Arkansas fans. He was also very supportive of the program through the Stan Health debacle. If you're waiting for him to crawl on his hands and knees begging for forgiveness....He|| will freeze over first. I never took his outburst to be directed at ALL Arkansas fans.

Throwback1

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 22, 2007, 10:43:43 pm
I thought he has already apologized to the Arkansas fans. He was also very supportive of the program through the Stan Health debacle. If you're waiting for him to crawl on his hands and knees begging for forgiveness....He|| will freeze over first. I never took his outburst to be directed at ALL Arkansas fans.

So Frank Broyles gives Nolan his shot, uses his power to make Nolan the highest paid employee in state history, and then Nolan sues Frank for racism?...Yeah,  brilliant...makes perfect sense.

Quite Frankly

August 23, 2007, 10:18:31 am #11 Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:57:39 am by Quite Frankly
His mouth is his own worse enemy.  Just the blurbs in that article are enough to stir people back up. 

FYI, his team defeated Puerto Rico last night to start the qialifying.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/fiba/boxscore?gameId=270824922

Of course the names mean nada, but looking at steals/turnovers it appeared they played his style. 

Of course, that is his strength.

WBF †

His style of basketball is the best way to play if you have the type of players to play it IMO.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Throwback1 on August 23, 2007, 10:05:45 am

So Frank Broyles gives Nolan his shot, uses his power to make Nolan the highest paid employee in state history, and then Nolan sues Frank for racism?...Yeah,  brilliant...makes perfect sense.

You seemed to be hung up on money?? What difference does it make how much you are paid if your civil rights are being violated? As for the validity of his lawsuit evidently the judges thought his case had enough merit because they allowed the appeal all the way up to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals. I don't think people understand the Courts did NOT decide or determine the accusation Nolan made didn't happen only that the accusations true/false did not prove discrimination. In fact the judge found Franks behavior and some of the members of the Board of Trustees far more reprehensible than Nolan's outbursts.

rdubs8

Quote from: Walk by faith. on August 23, 2007, 10:29:00 am
His style of basketball is the best way to play if you have the type of players to play it IMO.

agreed

Temprees

Quote from: Quite Frankly on August 22, 2007, 07:47:59 pm

Oh I read it.......

Note the IF.   

He can't help himself and it will delay his shot at a warm moment down the road.

For me, it'll be his last opp to take some responsibility for his own actions.  At no point has he acted as if he did a dang thing wrong.  Which is not a correct path to take.  If he could act a little less arrogant instead of the victim role he would find the general public willing to take him back and move on.

It's fine he hates Broyles.  I mean who likes someone that fires them?  But there will be a moment he needs to bite some of the pride and publically admit he wasn't himself.

Sounds to me like he doesn't intend to take that path.  Saying "what if" about the future as he saw it rings hollow.

I liked him for a long time, but his actions were his actions.  His tantrums were embarrassing.  He still seems unapologetic.

Without a change in his viewpoint or some humility he stays right were he put himself.
This is really something.  Bobby Knight never bit saome of his pride and admitted that he wasn't himself.  Bobby Knight never came half way.  Bobby Knight never apologized, did he?  What Knight did was much worse than anything that Nolan ever did, but Knight got another job, and embraced warmly by the media and the public.  Some of Knights' misdeeds included:
       1.  Being a fugitive on a criminal charge in a foreign country;
       2.  Telling his critics to kiss has "a _ _";
       3.  Throwing a chair onto the Court, toward a referee;
       4.  Abusing and intimidating the media during pressers;
       5.  Slamming his head into one of his players;
       6.  Choking a players, then lying about it; and more

Has Knight ever acted like he ever did anything wrong?  No.  Why do you feel that Nolan has to do all of the things that you refer to in order to get back into "some folks" good graces.

Oh, yes.  Knight sued his employer also.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Temprees on August 23, 2007, 04:39:51 pm

Oh I read it.......

Note the IF.   

This is really something.  Bobby Knight never bit saome of his pride and admitted that he wasn't himself.  Bobby Knight never came half way.  Bobby Knight never apologized, did he?  What Knight did was much worse than anything that Nolan ever did, but Knight got another job, and embraced warmly by the media and the public.  Some of Knights' misdeeds included:

Has Knight ever acted like he ever did anything wrong?  No.  Why do you feel that Nolan has to do all of the things that you refer to in order to get back into "some folks" good graces.

Great Points!

Throwback1

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 23, 2007, 04:07:26 pm

You seemed to be hung up on money?? What difference does it make how much you are paid if your civil rights are being violated? As for the validity of his lawsuit evidently the judges thought his case had enough merit because they allowed the appeal all the way up to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals. I don't think people understand the Courts did NOT decide or determine the accusation Nolan made didn't happen only that the accusations true/false did not prove discrimination. In fact the judge found Franks behavior and some of the members of the Board of Trustees far more reprehensible than Nolan's outbursts.

How much Nolan get in damages?

zebradynasty

Quote from: Throwback1 on August 23, 2007, 05:50:44 pm

Only what his contract called for none from the courts.

Throwback1

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 23, 2007, 05:55:02 pm

Exactly.

OlGuyWicker

Quote from: Temprees on August 23, 2007, 04:39:51 pm

Oh I read it.......

Note the IF.   

I have herd several people who have met Bobby Knight say that he is nothing like the media portrays him.  He is not exactly a media darling and has stepped on a few toes, like little Wally's.   Neil Reed's dad was a loose cannon when he coached high school in Arkansas.  For him to act like a victim to the guy who gave him a scholarship was a crock.  Any episode of Knight School that I watched taught me something that I have never considered. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: Throwback1 on August 23, 2007, 06:08:36 pm

Exactly.

So that proves what...? OJ was found innocent .... It's not what you know it's what you can prove!

Throwback1

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 23, 2007, 07:16:30 pm

Exactly.

So that proves what...? OJ was found innocent .... It's not what you know it's what you can prove!

He lost because he had no case.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Throwback1 on August 23, 2007, 07:45:30 pm

Exactly.

So the DA in the OJ trial didn't have a case? Or was it they couldn't prove their case? You're oversimplifying and it may sound like I am splitting hairs but there is a world of difference in the two!

Throwback1

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 23, 2007, 08:16:32 pm
Quote from: Throwback1 on August 23, 2007, 07:45:30 pm

Exactly.

So the DA in the OJ trial didn't have a case? Or was it they couldn't prove their case? You're oversimplifying and it may sound like I am splitting hairs but there is a world of difference in the two!

We know what happened with the OJ case.  Not going to debate the obvious.

zebradynasty

All I am saying is that just because I person didn't win a case doesn't mean the case did not have merit or just a lot of BS. Such as the case with Nolan Federal Judges do not like to fill their dockets with frivolous and silly lawsuits. They could have given UA a summary judgement and not have to listen to a word Nolan had to say! Instead they concluded that enough improper behavior by UA that discrimination could have occurred. It may not seem that way but discrimination cases are very hard to prove! Without a doubt Nolan was not treated the same but was that because of his race? The courts said NO end of story but Nolan doesn't owe the fans an apology for the lawsuit cause the fans were not on trial.

Throwback1

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 23, 2007, 09:10:31 pm
All I am saying is that just because I person didn't win a case doesn't mean the case did not have merit or just a lot of BS. Such as the case with Nolan Federal Judges do not like to fill their dockets with frivolous and silly lawsuits. They could have given UA a summary judgement and not have to listen to a word Nolan had to say! Instead they concluded that enough improper behavior by UA that discrimination could have occurred. It may not seem that way but discrimination cases are very hard to prove! Without a doubt Nolan was not treated the same but was that because of his race? The courts said NO end of story but Nolan doesn't owe the fans an apology for the lawsuit cause the fans were not on trial.

Alright,man.  We'll just agree to disagree about some things.  Like I said, I took a lot of heat from a lot of people for a lot of years defending Nolan and personally,I know that "I" felt betrayed,but maybe that's just me.  We're cool, and good luck to dem Zebras this year.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Throwback1 on August 23, 2007, 10:01:22 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on August 23, 2007, 09:10:31 pm

Alright,man.  We'll just agree to disagree about some things.  Like I said, I took a lot of heat from a lot of people for a lot of years defending Nolan and personally,I know that "I" felt betrayed,but maybe that's just me.  We're cool, and good luck to dem Zebras this year.

Thanks! Even though it may not mean much to you I know for a fact Nolan did not mean for those comments to be directed to everyone! However, he did acknowledge the fact that he understood some felt betrayed.

COWGIRLUPAR

You have got to be kidding, civil rights violated?  That's a load of crap.  He needs to take his ugly mug and crawl back in the hole he came from.  I guess he was just living the American dream..... If you can't earn it, sue someone and get it. 

mack

Quote from: Quite Frankly on August 23, 2007, 10:18:31 am
His mouth is his own worse enemy.  Just the blurbs in that article are enough to stir people back up. 

FYI, his team defeated Puerto Rico last night to start the qialifying.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/fiba/boxscore?gameId=270824922

Of course the names mean nada, but looking at steals/turnovers it appeared they played his style. 

Of course, that is his strength.

I think most of us on here have met the enemy, and he is our own mouth. [if you are old enough to remember, I paraphrased Pogo]  So, I find it hard to fault Nolan for that.  He just did not have the luxury of an anonymous medium to shield himself.  I never felt that his tirade was directed at this fan [a middle-aged white male].  I believe it was directed at those redneck s-o-bs out here.  You know the ones.  Ones who would shoot his horses, use racial slurs, revile him while his daughter was dying stuff like that.  Fans that did not do any of that stuff should not have taken it as a personal attack IMO.  I don't know if he was discriminated against.  Certainly not on the money side.  Still, as was pointed out, the judge felt Broyles and some board members pushed the envelope somewhat.  The judge deemed their behavior was deemed "reprehensible" if I remember correctly.  I wish he had been able to shut up more, but I respect his right to voice his convictions.  I hope he is hugely successful with whatever he does, and hope there is a statue of him at Bud Walton someday.

Uncle Ivan

Nolan Richardson is Nolan Richardson's own worst enemy.

I see that others have said it.  It bears repeating.

mack

Quote from: President Ivan on August 24, 2007, 03:27:54 pm
Nolan Richardson is Nolan Richardson's own worst enemy.

I see that others have said it.  It bears repeating.

It is true that he has done more to harm himself than Frank ever could have.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas