• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

same song different verse for Ohio State

Started by Indiana Jones, May 26, 2011, 10:06:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Jones

Ex-HAplayer

Funny this guy is saying this now. He supposedly was always in trouble with Jim Tressel and now he feels big enough to talk.  Conflict of interest much.

powerlifter90

this kind of thing has been going on in college football forever.........

and it goes on EVERYWHERE

sevenof400

Unfortunately, I think Bugs is correct and what is sad is how little the NCAA cares.  Money (and the shameless pursuit of it) have ruined college football and basketball.  Until the NFL and NBA have meaningful minor leagues where players who have no interest or business being in college can earn $$$, this beast will not be tamed. 

powerlifter90

old joke but its relevant to this situation.........

go back to the early/mid 1990's with this one.

Reporter:  Tark why do you recruit so many JUCO players
Tark:  Because their cars are already paid for.

Hoghead

Paying players in college is a time honored tradition. If you think minor leauges in the NFL or NBA will stop schools from paying players you're nuts ! Schools will only step their money game up.

powerlifter90

I've been listening to the chatter about this on Bo "Wally Jr." Mattingly's show and DTS with Randy and Superhomer and I wonder if the reason that the Ark media and general public are soooooo concerned with this is because of the Sugar Bowl loss.  It most circumstances the people down here couldn't care less about what's going on at tOSU.

fastdrop

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 26, 2011, 12:28:50 pm
Unfortunately, I think Bugs is correct and what is sad is how little the NCAA cares.  Money (and the shameless pursuit of it) have ruined college football and basketball.  Until the NFL and NBA have meaningful minor leagues where players who have no interest or business being in college can earn $$$, this beast will not be tamed. 
I think the NFL and NBA need to expand. Put teams in most every state. I know this would kill the college game we now know but who cares since you have legit pro teams to root for.

slappy

Quote from: BUGEATERS on May 27, 2011, 08:18:03 am
I've been listening to the chatter about this on Bo "Wally Jr." Mattingly's show and DTS with Randy and Superhomer and I wonder if the reason that the Ark media and general public are soooooo concerned with this is because of the Sugar Bowl loss.  It most circumstances the people down here couldn't care less about what's going on at tOSU.

Thank you, dang im sick of all that crap! osu won on the field and it's over and done with! Lets all move past the OSU talk, get back to the Razorbacks!!!!!

Busman

I don't think the issue is that UA lost the game and it's sour grapes.  Most everyone before the game said "Let's play them at full strength".  Save a few dropped passes, and UA wins.

I think what resonates with Arkansans is the hypocrisy of it all.  Tressel holds himself out to be a Godly, Christian man that even quotes in his book the old Chinese proverb - "It only takes an hour to undo the reputation of a century".  But beating Michigan every year seems to have given him a new intrepretation "It only takes three hours in the Horsehoe or the Big House to undo the hour that would ruin a reputation of a century."

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: Busman on May 27, 2011, 03:18:44 pm
I don't think the issue is that UA lost the game and it's sour grapes.  Most everyone before the game said "Let's play them at full strength".  Save a few dropped passes, and UA wins.

I think what resonates with Arkansans is the hypocrisy of it all.  Tressel holds himself out to be a Godly, Christian man that even quotes in his book the old Chinese proverb - "It only takes an hour to undo the reputation of a century".  But beating Michigan every year seems to have given him a new intrepretation "It only takes three hours in the Horsehoe or the Big House to undo the hour that would ruin a reputation of a century."

Every Christian has fell short of the glory of God.  I am sure he is forgiven for admitting he is wrong and trying to self impose penalties on himself.  NCAA might do more, but it is not like he was USC and egged on the NCAA in a full battle of you can't catch me.

Hoghead

Before Woddy Hayes was punching players in Bowl games. The secret handshake with cash was being offered at OSU and other D-1 Schools.

Romeo

Chosen 1

Hoghead

Old Jimbo "The Vest" says he's tired of running "THE Ohio State Prison... I mean University. Sorry....

sevenof400

Changing of the coach is not going to stop this sort of behavior.  Stopping the flow of money and illegal payments in college sports will take action from the top down not the bottom up. 

It's time to remove ALL scholarship money from college sports and return to the days of scholar - athlete.  For those people who have little or no interest in college, they should be playing sports in a minor league or developmental league....anyplace away from the college campus. 

Overly idealistic - probably so but its the only way to clean up this mess.

powerlifter90

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2011, 09:20:31 am
Changing of the coach is not going to stop this sort of behavior.  Stopping the flow of money and illegal payments in college sports will take action from the top down not the bottom up. 

It's time to remove ALL scholarship money from college sports and return to the days of scholar - athlete.  For those people who have little or no interest in college, they should be playing sports in a minor league or developmental league....anyplace away from the college campus. 

scholar-athlete.............. scholar comes first

Romeo

I'll bet anyone a steak dinner that Urban Meyer becomes the next coach of Ohio State.

sevenof400

May 30, 2011, 11:04:12 am #18 Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:07:40 am by sevenof400
Quote from: Romeo on May 30, 2011, 10:37:52 am
I'll bet anyone a steak dinner that Urban Meyer becomes the next coach of Ohio State.

You're on. 

(now I had some stupidity written here earlier but the point I was trying to make - despite my massive brain fart - was that why would Meyer want to jump into this turd of a punch bowl?)

Uncle Ivan

sevenof400

sevenof400

Meyer would be smarter (and I think more likely) to be the coach after the coach who replaces Tressel....

redwolf143

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2011, 11:19:03 am
Meyer would be smarter (and I think more likely) to be the coach after the coach who replaces Tressel....
Agreed, i can't see him taking this job, he's too smart to jump onto a sinking ship.  He'll wait till it's been brought back to port and repaired, then step in when the guy who did the repairs gets fired after not beating Michigan once or twice.

RD™

Nope, already had a coach on staff.

Michigan fans are rejoicing, they will finally beat them this year.

sevenof400

With today's developments, I wonder if the five who were suspended for the 1st five games this season will now use this development as a reason to forego their final year of eligibility and jump to the NFL...

Hoghead

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2011, 09:20:31 am

That all sounds good. But MONEY will always run things in D-1 college football. It's all a farce because no one really cares if a guy graduates. It's all about ELGIBILITY ! Did anyone care if D-MAC GRADUATED from Arkansas ? NO ! But let the ADG print D-MAC is INGIBILE !!!!  All heck would break out !

powerlifter90

Bo Pelini   

Hoghead

Looks as if the fire at THE "OSU" is just plain out of control. Jimbo THE "Vest" is proably on his cell phone asking Bruce Pearl how to put it out ! Tyrell Pryor has cemented himself as a superstar. Dude get some driving license and some insurance before you kill somebody !  As we speak Lane Kiffin has put his name in the hat as OSU's next coach. Proclaiming it as his DREAM JOB !!!!!!!!!!

Indiana Jones

Uncle Ivan

Q: What's the difference between Cam Newton and Terrelle Pryor?

A: About $160,000.

sevenof400

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2011, 11:04:12 am

You're on. 

(now I had some stupidity written here earlier but the point I was trying to make - despite my massive brain fart - was that why would Meyer want to jump into this turd of a punch bowl?)

Hey Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo???

Where's that steak dinner?  (Thanking Luke Fickell and Gene Smith)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas