• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pulaski Academy

Started by MDXPHD, November 30, 2014, 07:20:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

#1jacketfan

Quote from: 24tedmiller on December 02, 2014, 09:47:01 am
There is no reason there shouldn't at least be padding on that wall at PA. As much as it cost to go there, you would think they could spend a little money and put padding on a BRICK wall that is 5 yards from the field. Wouldn't hurt to expand seating as well.
Maybe use some of that scholarship money...lol

24tedmiller

Exactly. No reason for fans to able to stand right next to the players on the sideline. Just my opinion.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 02, 2014, 01:17:43 am
Maybe not allowable by AAA, but I can't imagine that it does not happen - a brother-in-law who has a friend...

A booster pays a mother...

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: 24tedmiller on December 02, 2014, 09:55:34 am
Exactly. No reason for fans to able to stand right next to the players on the sideline. Just my opinion.

That's a security issue.

Intelligentsia

Being a little less mobile than in the past, I moved from the sidelines to the hill after being involeved in a play.  It's just dangerous to have to stand that close to the field when supporting your team.  My view from the hill was good, but I wanted to be by my fellow Pioneers.

Red Devil Alum

There is no reason there shouldn't at least be padding on that wall at PA. As much as it cost to go there, you would think they could spend a little money and put padding on a BRICK wall that is 5 yards from the field. Wouldn't hurt to expand seating as well.
That wall has been there since 1971 with no problems.  But Batesville comes to town one time and . . .

24tedmiller

It has nothing to do with Batesville. It is the fact that there is a brick wall right beside the field. It wouldn't matter if it had been a PA player. What I am trying to say is that the wall needs to either be moved or needs padding (not that the pad would help that much, but it would give some support). Fans do not need to have access to the players, period.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: 24tedmiller on December 02, 2014, 11:20:09 am
It has nothing to do with Batesville. It is the fact that there is a brick wall right beside the field. It wouldn't matter if it had been a PA player. What I am trying to say is that the wall needs to either be moved or needs padding (not that the pad would help that much, but it would give some support). Fans do not need to have access to the players, period.
I'm sure there will be a pad on that wall before another game is played there.

STUNNA

When I was in school PA was my favorite place to play! I love the atmosphere and the fans in the endzones and close to the sidelines.

24tedmiller

Yeah the environment was awesome and I could see how it would be an exciting place to play, until you went head first into the wall...

Rhonda Elizabeth

My heart goes out to the player who was injured last Friday night.  I wasn't there and didn't see it, but I hope he is doing well.

But, I am very familiar with the walls at PA ... and at War Memorial, ASU, OBU, the old NLR field and other stadiums.  I don't see walls as being a major issue and I am on a field on Friday nights somewhere in this state and some of those fields have walls.

Is it possible that the emotions that accompany losing are clouding judgement on this topic? 

I will, however, agree that the visiting side desperately needs more seating ... lots more.  I've only seen one school with a visitor's side that was smaller (Conway Christian) and it was seriously small.

If PA is to make improvements to their stadium, I would suggest seating be the priority.

24tedmiller

I agree that there are stadiums with walls close to the playing field, but safety would be my first priority. I would say that PA's wall is way closer than the stadiums listed above. I wouldn't be that upset about it if it was a school where money was an issue, but that is not the case at all here. This team goes on trips every year to play big competition, but can't afford to put some pads on a wall that is less than 10 yards from the playing field? cmon...

stinger1

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 30, 2014, 08:50:49 pm
Quote from: spongebob on November 30, 2014, 08:37:21 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on November 30, 2014, 07:26:30 pm
I haven't researched it, but that sounds right.

But, Batesville and Wynne both have impressive histories too.
Just curious if Batesville and Wynne are allowed to recruit their surrounding areas also?

Now the BS starts.  FYI, Thrash (his mother was a teacher @ PA) was there since start of school, Loucks was there forever (his dad was also a basketball coach @ PA), Keith's family moved to LR from Stuttgart  when he was in th 6th grade--Knighten transferred from Episcopal about the 8th or 9th grade--Hefley has been there since pre-k (his dad is a PA alum).

Don't make this game into something else.  It is a meeting of two teams with great coaches and traditions that have worked hard and played their hearts out to get to the state championship.
you are talking about players from one position what about players at all the other positions.

Rhonda Elizabeth

Quote from: 24tedmiller on December 02, 2014, 01:26:45 pm
I agree that there are stadiums with walls close to the playing field, but safety would be my first priority. I would say that PA's wall is way closer than the stadiums listed above. I wouldn't be that upset about it if it was a school where money was an issue, but that is not the case at all here. This team goes on trips every year to play big competition, but can't afford to put some pads on a wall that is less than 10 yards from the playing field? cmon...

I am not arguing against safety or padding being placed on the walls at PA - just making an observation that the walls there haven't been much of an issue and in my opinion still aren't much of an issue.  I shot PA and only PA for four straight years and can't think of but two times the walls were an issue ... once when players slid into the sideline and pushed a cheerleader against the wall and once a HWH player knocked me over one of the walls when I was shooting.  We landed in the brush that used to be behind the wall (which was shorter on the scoreboard end of the field back then) and I cushioned his landing.  Poor kid thought he had killed me by landing on top of me. It was at that point that I realized some high schools players are really huge and weigh a ton.  LOL

Again, not arguing against safety or padding - PA may be looking at the wall in a different light right now. I don't know. I'm just observing that in many years of being on PA's field that I haven't seen the walls to be a safety issue.

24tedmiller

What is it going to take? My only fear is that they will wait until something terrible happens to a player before they do something. It may not have been an issue before, but I feel like it is one now. I would hate to see some kid have a life changing injury due to that wall. Especially after the scary moment on Friday night.

Chin Music

PA does get a lot of kids that transfer in JH and HS.  Some of this may be recruiting but the larger picture is that the high school football scene in central AR is very weak.  If your kid could play or had potential and wanted to be in an environment where he was pushed and was guaranteed to be seen, then would you choose PA, Mills, Hall, Parkview, Central, etc?

PA has made themselves into a football factory.  Great players want to play there in the same way that PA wants great players. 

My only "gripe" with PA is that some of their kids repeat a grade (or two) before their high school clock starts ticking.  There are no rules to prohibit this so that "gripe" is pointless.  If the parents feel this is in the best interest of their child then more power to them.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 02, 2014, 11:05:58 am
That wall has been there since 1971 with no problems.  But Batesville comes to town one time and . .  'a player is seriously injured due to unsafe playing conditions.' There finished your thought.  BTW, you must not have read the posts from other P.A. parents, indicating other injuries and their concerns.  Doesn't  sound like you represent all P.A.

24tedmiller

That is the first time I have ever been to PA so of course that left a bad taste in my mouth. I am not a Batesville fan, I was there simply to watch the game. So Batesville coming to town has nothing to do with it. What is going to happen is a player is going to get seriously hurt. What happens if a player goes head first into that wall? Just silly to me to not take action now before something tragic happens. Especially when you have the money PA does.

PA Dad

December 02, 2014, 04:15:52 pm #68 Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:17:58 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 02, 2014, 02:40:01 pm
That wall has been there since 1971 with no problems.  But Batesville comes to town one time and . .  'a player is seriously injured due to unsafe playing conditions.' There finished your thought.  BTW, you must not have read the posts from other P.A. parents, indicating other injuries and their concerns.  Doesn't  sound like you represent all P.A.

In my view, it doesn't matter whether the wall had been a problem in the past. It is a potential hazard. Our first priority should be the safety of the kids. Since it is a potential hazard, it needs to be fixed.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: PA Dad on December 02, 2014, 04:15:52 pm
Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 02, 2014, 02:40:01 pm

In my view, it doesn't matter whether the wall had been a problem in the past. It is a potential hazard. Our first priority should be the safety of the kids. Since it is a potential hazard, it needs to be fixed.
As I said before, there will be a pad there before the next game I'm sure.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas