• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The championship- PA vs Wynne

Started by PA Dad, November 28, 2014, 10:49:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

#1jacketfan

Quote from: PA Dad on December 01, 2014, 11:26:44 am
Quote from: justajacketfan on December 01, 2014, 10:56:07 am
Quote from: #1jacketfan on December 01, 2014, 12:30:35 am
Quote from: PA Dad on November 30, 2014, 06:51:22 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on November 30, 2014, 06:45:25 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on November 30, 2014, 06:17:58 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2014, 09:19:35 am
Wynne- 42
PA- 37

Let's see.  Aren't you the same guy who said PA wouldn't run away from Batesville and that the margin in that game would be 3 to 7 points?

Just asking.

Are you bored?

Nah.  Just having a little fun.  One of the hazards of making a prediction is that you might be wrong and someone will point it out.  If Wynne wins I'm sure you'll return the favor.
Sounds like to me you need to get a life bro...you stay on here making these ignorant statements about a high school football team...you act like this is some D1 football championship or something...this is a game of a bunch of teenagers playing and your acting like if PA loses your gonna lose your job or something...I'm assuming your a grown man...but it's really hard to tell...it's not that serious...so take a deep breath and stop worrying yourself to death about who's gonna win...and just enjoy the moment! Dang!

+1

You are, of course, correct.  I have no life and I will lose my job if PA loses.  I'm really amazed at your intelligence!  You can figure all of that out from my posts here!

I'll also confess to making ignorant statements.  You surely think all of my statements are ignorant.  But, just out of curiosity,  which of my ignorant statements are you referencing in your post?  Maybe I can do better if you will enlighten me.
All of them are....your boasting about a varsity football team...and in reality you probably really no nothing about football other than you know PA has beaten a couple of good high school teams....Wow...your brilliant!

PA Dad

Quote from: football nut on November 28, 2014, 11:53:35 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on November 28, 2014, 11:48:11 pm
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 28, 2014, 11:45:45 pm
Wynne by 7

You want to tell us why?
Given the Wynne fans and Chris Hill I fully expect the dialogue to be more civil and insightful.

I think you were overly optimistic.

STUNNA

This game will go about like the Batesville game. PA 2014 5A state champs

PA Dad

Wynne- 42
PA- 37

Let's see.  Aren't you the same guy who said PA wouldn't run away from Batesville and that the margin in that game would be 3 to 7 points?

Just asking.

Are you bored?

MDX, I meant this to be light hearted fun.  If it offended you, I apologize.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 01, 2014, 07:30:18 pm
Wynne- 42
PA- 37

Just asking.

Are you bored?

MDX, I meant this to be light hearted fun.  If it offended you, I apologize.

I post for fun as well! I don't take offense to anything on the message board lol.  If I didn't want to argue or joke then I just wouldn't respond to you! No worries!

PA Dad

I just read that Hootens  picks PA to win by 7.  Hootens can't be wrong!  Game over!

AT

You both bring good insight to the board. Hate to see that you may be a dad who moves on from FF after your son moves on, but I hope you can stick around. We need more quality posters.

Devil Dog 17

PA wins this game IF Coach Kelly will swallow his pride, and punt when he needs to. This cost them last year against Morrilton. PA attempted 7 on side kicks, and gave Morriltin a short field 7 times. His philosophy will work when playing inferior completion, but not against Wynne. PA was the better team against Morrilton last year, and they are against Wynne this year, however if they punt on 4th and 25 from their own 10, they will lose again.  I figure Kelly may have learned his lesson. I say PA 34 Wynne 31.  I will say this, Chris Hill is one of the best FB coaches in the state. Wynne will be ready and prepared, but I think PA has too much.

PA Dad

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 01, 2014, 10:14:52 pm
You both bring good insight to the board. Hate to see that you may be a dad who moves on from FF after your son moves on, but I hope you can stick around. We need more quality posters.
[/quote

Thanks, Almatrackster.   That is a high compliment coming from you.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 01, 2014, 10:41:16 pm
PA wins this game IF Coach Kelly will swallow his pride, and punt when he needs to. This cost them last year against Morrilton. PA attempted 7 on side kicks, and gave Morriltin a short field 7 times. His philosophy will work when playing inferior completion, but not against Wynne. PA was the better team against Morrilton last year, and they are against Wynne this year, however if they punt on 4th and 25 from their own 10, they will lose again.  I figure Kelly may have learned his lesson. I say PA 34 Wynne 31.  I will say this, Chris Hill is one of the best FB coaches in the state. Wynne will be ready and prepared, but I think PA has too much.

Couldn't disagree more!  Morrilton won because they were the better team that night, 57-50 is a even game, especially in the conditions that game was played.  I don't think there is a need for Coach Kelley to change the philosophy that has won him 85% of the games he has coached in 12 seasons.

walkingguy72396

Last years games were so close. Change one decision or one misfortune.  Any of the final 4 had a real shot at the title.  Morrilton was the survivor.  Thats this posters take on it.  My team was not one of the final 4.

HeberFan

The "go for it ever time on fourth down" dogma must have limits, right?  If PA is ahead by two points with a minute to play, facing 4th and 20 from it's own 10 yard line, do they punt?

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on December 02, 2014, 12:26:24 am

Couldn't disagree more!  Morrilton won because they were the better team that night, 57-50 is a even game, especially in the conditions that game was played.  I don't think there is a need for Coach Kelley to change the philosophy that has won him 85% of the games he has coached in 12 seasons.

Kellys philosophy will not work when playing equal or superior competition. As long as PA is playing inferior completion his game plan will work fine.  If he goes for it on 4th and long from his end of the field, PA will be bridesmaids again. PA was the best 5A team in the state last year, and they are again this year.  All I'm saying is that I think Kelly's system is flawed, I think he knows it but his ESPN story and his pride want let him change. Both are dang good teams. Good luck to both. Hope I can make it.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 02, 2014, 08:54:11 am

Kellys philosophy will not work when playing equal or superior competition. As long as PA is playing inferior completion his game plan will work fine.  If he goes for it on 4th and long from his end of the field, PA will be bridesmaids again. PA was the best 5A team in the state last year, and they are again this year.  All I'm saying is that I think Kelly's system is flawed, I think he knows it but his ESPN story and his pride want let him change. Both are dang good teams. Good luck to both. Hope I can make it.
I think it's Coach Kelley's system that let's them keep up with team's that are far more athletic, like HP this year, Helena a few years back, etc.

Youngsta71701

I thought Morrilton was the best team in the 5A last year?

PercussionMan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 02, 2014, 10:44:47 am

You beat me to it.  I thought the same thing.  I guess we were wrong.  Should I destroy my 2013 Morrilton Devil Dogs 5A State Champions t-shirts??

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: PercussionMan on December 02, 2014, 11:51:11 am

You beat me to it.  I thought the same thing.  I guess we were wrong.  Should I destroy my 2013 Morrilton Devil Dogs 5A State Champions t-shirts??

Percussion Man, I bleed Maroon and gray, but I just want to make a point.  In my opionion, PA was the best team in the state last year.  My Devil Dogs won it all, and I contribute that to the fact that we have the best coaching staff in the state.  Im not returning my T-shirt.  We had a great group of Sr leadership last year and I wasnt trying to take anything away from the players.  This is my point and I will leave it alone.  If Cody McNabb was coaching PA last year, PA is the 2013 State Champs, and PM you dont have a T-shirt..... Kelly's system is flawed...

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 02, 2014, 01:37:55 pm
Quote from: PercussionMan on December 02, 2014, 11:51:11 am

Percussion Man, I bleed Maroon and gray, but I just want to make a point.  In my opionion, PA was the best team in the state last year.  My Devil Dogs won it all, and I contribute that to the fact that we have the best coaching staff in the state.  Im not returning my T-shirt.  We had a great group of Sr leadership last year and I wasnt trying to take anything away from the players.  This is my point and I will leave it alone.  If Cody McNabb was coaching PA last year, PA is the 2013 State Champs, and PM you dont have a T-shirt..... Kelly's system is flawed...
I guess that's why Morrilton is back in the championship game again this year . . .

Intelligentsia

Wait just a minute - Batesville was the best team in 5-A last year - well wish as a may and think what I want, Morrilton was the top team in 5-A last year when itbciunted and in 30 years people will look at the record book and they will see that Morrilton defeated Batesville in the final game, making Batesville the second best team.  Credit coaching or whatever, at the end of the year all we know is that Morrilton was #1 and Batesville was #2.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 02, 2014, 02:49:41 pm
Wait just a minute - Batesville was the best team in 5-A last year - well wish as a may and think what I want, Morrilton was the top team in 5-A last year when itbciunted and in 30 years people will look at the record book and they will see that Morrilton defeated Batesville in the final game, making Batesville the second best team.  Credit coaching or whatever, at the end of the year all we know is that Morrilton was #1 and Batesville was #2.
Agree. You play the games, and the results determine who is best.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I'm not sure I've ever heard a state champion brag about not being the best team, so this is uncharted waters for me.  Morrilton's two losses were to rival Russellville in week 1 and to 5A Semifinalist Alma in a game in which they had 5 turnovers and Alma controlled the ball the entire 2nd half.  They then go to PA, to Hope, then beat Batesville (all 1 seeds) to win.  They had the most dominant player in the state in any classification last year at quarterback.  I didn't think there was any question they were the best team. 

Now, what exactly did PA do last year that would make you think they were the best team?  They were down 22 points against the South 4 seed Watson Chapel before scoring at the end of the half and reeling off 44 straight points.  I think most people, even PA people, were shocked that PA was 10-0 entering the playoffs with very impressive out of conference wins over MUS, West Memphis, and Warren.  They may have entered the playoffs as the #1 team, but I don't think many people thought there was a clear cut favorite with PA, Batesville, Camden, Wynne, and Hope all eyeing the trophy with everyone waiting to see how good Alma and Morrilton were.

Now I was at the Morrilton / PA game.  Could PA had won that game had they punted and kicked the ball deep?  Maybe.  But I don't know that punting to the best punt returner in 5A and giving the ball to the best player in 5A would have won the game either.  You live by the sword and die by the sword.  I think Coach Kelley's record speaks for itself.  I think it has probably cost him a game or two, but I believe it has won him many more than that.  As a playcaller, I think what helps him more than anything is to always know that he is going to be going for it on 4th down.  Completely changes what you can do on the 1st 3 downs.  Also, I absolutely love the onside kick strategy.  No question that the preparation alone that teams have to do give you an advantage.

And I agree that Coach McNabb and his staff are great coaches.  Just hope you can hold on to him and his OC.

PA Dad

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on December 02, 2014, 08:01:54 pm
I'm not sure I've ever heard a state champion brag about not being the best team, so this is uncharted waters for me.  Morrilton's two losses were to rival Russellville in week 1 and to 5A Semifinalist Alma in a game in which they had 5 turnovers and Alma controlled the ball the entire 2nd half.  They then go to PA, to Hope, then beat Batesville (all 1 seeds) to win.  They had the most dominant player in the state in any classification last year at quarterback.  I didn't think there was any question they were the best team. 

Now, what exactly did PA do last year that would make you think they were the best team?  They were down 22 points against the South 4 seed Watson Chapel before scoring at the end of the half and reeling off 44 straight points.  I think most people, even PA people, were shocked that PA was 10-0 entering the playoffs with very impressive out of conference wins over MUS, West Memphis, and Warren.  They may have entered the playoffs as the #1 team, but I don't think many people thought there was a clear cut favorite with PA, Batesville, Camden, Wynne, and Hope all eyeing the trophy with everyone waiting to see how good Alma and Morrilton were.

Now I was at the Morrilton / PA game.  Could PA had won that game had they punted and kicked the ball deep?  Maybe.  But I don't know that punting to the best punt returner in 5A and giving the ball to the best player in 5A would have won the game either.  You live by the sword and die by the sword.  I think Coach Kelley's record speaks for itself.  I think it has probably cost him a game or two, but I believe it has won him many more than that.  As a playcaller, I think what helps him more than anything is to always know that he is going to be going for it on 4th down.  Completely changes what you can do on the 1st 3 downs.  Also, I absolutely love the onside kick strategy.  No question that the preparation alone that teams have to do give you an advantage.

And I agree that Coach McNabb and his staff are great coaches.  Just hope you can hold on to him and his OC.

Well said Coach.  I was going to make the same point but you did it much better than I could have.  You have to dance with the one that brung ya.

oldballcoach

PA 56 Wynne 35 - Bruins by 21 in a 4 hour game at WMS! Total passing yards will be close to 1,000 yards - both teams might set offensive championship game records!

RawDog1

Just going though the post on the big show down.  I can see both sides of the argument, but would have to side with Devil Dog 17 a little more than the others.  Kelly is a great coach with a salty program year in and year out.  But with the talent he has there, he should defiantly have more championship rings than what he has.  Traditional football would have gotten him these.

24tedmiller

Chief-Chickasaw

December 03, 2014, 08:55:54 am #76 Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:00:28 am by Chief-Chickasaw
   OK to all the PA fans that are pounding your chest about beating Batesville you do realize at the beginning of the 3rd Qtr Batesville was driving to cut the lead to 3 when their QB got hurt. Batesville appeared to have all the momentum at that point. The QB hit the wall and the Batesville team hit it with him. When the kid was carted off the body language of Batesville changed. Heck even their kicker missed a chip shot FG which he never does.
Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying if the QB doesn't get hurt Batesville wins. I'm just saying PA shouldn't pound their chest like it was a blow out.
   As far a Batesville's goes I don't know what their coach was thinking.  Why did they come out throwing and pooch kicking. They lined up and pushed everyone around all year then went to PA and changed everything. When Batesville had success against PA it was straight ahead on the ground. I just didn't understand Batesville's game plan.
   With all that said PA vs Wynne I think is a coin toss. PA's line is unbelievable Wynne will not get consistent pressure on the QB. If Wynne's DBs play like they did early in the year the can have some success. Wynne should be able to move the ball on the ground and through quick screens. This game will come down to turn overs and 4th down stops who ever gets the most of those combined will win. As a east homer I'm routing for Wynne but playing both teams I give a very slight edge to PA.

24tedmiller

From what I saw watching the game, Batesville's running back could not get anything for most of the game. Batesville had success by letting Crawford take the snap out of the shotgun and running a QB blast. I felt like everytime they handed the ball off the RB was stuck at the line of scrimmage. This wasn't a dominate Batesville O-line like we have seen in the past. I thought the Batesville coach tried to run the ball but then had to adapt when it wasn't working.

Overdahill

Quote from: RawDog1 on December 03, 2014, 07:14:37 am
Just going though the post on the big show down.  I can see both sides of the argument, but would have to side with Devil Dog 17 a little more than the others.  Kelly is a great coach with a salty program year in and year out.  But with the talent he has there, he should defiantly have more championship rings than what he has.  Traditional football would have gotten him these.

Been watching PA closely for ten years and I am calling BS on the above. IMO there were only two years where they had major talent advantage versus most playoff contenders (2011 and 2008 and capured state both times). There were years when fans were crying looking over the railing in the spring based on what the coaching staff had to work with and coaches would somehow get 9 or 10 wins

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Overdahill on December 03, 2014, 10:20:08 am

Been watching PA closely for ten years and I am calling BS on the above. IMO there were only two years where they had major talent advantage versus most playoff contenders (2011 and 2008 and capured state both times). There were years when fans were crying looking over the railing in the spring based on what the coaching staff had to work with and coaches would somehow get 9 or 10 wins
This is my experience too.  Other than a few years you mentioned, PA wasn't the most talented team but scheme made up the difference.

PercussionMan

December 03, 2014, 10:27:10 am #80 Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:30:01 am by PercussionMan
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on December 02, 2014, 08:01:54 pm

I agree...three #1 seeds were beaten by a #2 out of the West (that was darn close to being the #1, had it not been for that dreadful night at home against Alma).  I also was at the Morrilton/PA game last year...great game on both sides.  I was a little worried early on, wondering how long it would take our up and down the field, fast scoring offense to really get going.  They held the lead on PA after they took it, and never looked back. 

Obviously, a lot of a team's success is credited to the coaches, and rightfully so...Coach McNabb and his staff had those players keyed in on PA and only PA and all of the little things they do that usually lead to their success. 

The next week, they took to the road again and held a 21-0 advantage (I believe that's correct) on one of the top defenses in the state...never trailed in that game.

Then, in the finals, they struck first against Batesville on the second play of the game and never trailed.

So, again...knock off three #1 seeds, and win the championship, yet some say they still weren't the best team in the state??  I don't get that one...period!!  That's honestly the first time I've heard that said, and coming from a Morrilton fan, I really don't get it.   

The team that gets on a hot streak and wins four games in the playoffs is the champion and usually is considered (or so I thought) as the best team in the state!

Overdahill

^^^^ Morillton showed they were the best; I dont get it either

PA Dad

December 03, 2014, 10:44:54 am #82 Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:02:39 pm by PA Dad

Coach Kelly has built his program on his kind of football.  He has won three state championships in the last 10 years.  I don't think any other 4A or 5A school has done that.  I'm amazed that anyone would criticize his style of play in light of his success.

And, his teams are really fun to watch.

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: PA Dad on December 03, 2014, 10:44:54 am

Coach Kelly had built his program on his kind of football.  He has won three state championships in the last 10 years.  I don't think any other 4A or 5A school has done that.  I'm amazed that anyone would criticize his style of play in light of his success.

OK. Im gonna try this one more time.  If Coach Kelly doesnt go for it on 4th and 20+ yards from inside his own 20 twice, PA wins last year.  If Coach "ESPN" Kelly doesnt give Morrilton short field 7 times they win the football game.  As far as who was the best team last year, this is totally my opinion.  I respect Coach DePreist, but I will bet you he would have punted and won the game.  Kelly has won a lot of games doing it his way but hes beating INFERIOR teams doing it.  You cant play that way and beat good teams. 

Overdahill

December 03, 2014, 11:49:20 am #84 Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:53:33 am by Overdahill
^^^^ Baloney. Coach is 2-2 vs Greenwood, 3-1 vs Lake Hamilton, 4-0 vs CFV

24tedmiller

Then apparently there isn't good football teams in Arkansas. There in the state finals for crying out loud. It doesn't make sense to me sometimes either(going for it 4th and long on there own 20), but to say they cant beat good teams playing that way is not a very smart statement. 3 state championships in 10 years speaks for itself.

PercussionMan

December 03, 2014, 12:01:47 pm #86 Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:12:59 pm by PercussionMan
Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 03, 2014, 11:46:29 am

Coach Kelly had built his program on his kind of football.  He has won three state championships in the last 10 years.  I don't think any other 4A or 5A school has done that.  I'm amazed that anyone would criticize his style of play in light of his success.

OK. Im gonna try this one more time.  If Coach Kelly doesnt go for it on 4th and 20+ yards from inside his own 20 twice, PA wins last year.  If Coach "ESPN" Kelly doesnt give Morrilton short field 7 times they win the football game.  As far as who was the best team last year, this is totally my opinion.  I respect Coach DePreist, but I will bet you he would have punted and won the game.  Kelly has won a lot of games doing it his way but hes beating INFERIOR teams doing it.  You cant play that way and beat good teams. 

I understand your perspective, but look at the picture as a whole.  If PA punts and doesn't onside kick as much, the score probably just ends up being lower than 57-50.  Morrilton and PA were both moving the ball AT WILL at times and were finding the endzone.  If they could move the ball 50-60 yards pretty easily, don't you think they could also move it 80-90 yards just as easily??  The better team won that night...Morrilton recovered every onside kick...they made key defensive stops a few times in the second half to keep PA from scoring and either tying it up or winning it.  They did the same thing when they beat Hope and Batesville by 3 points in each of those games.  That's what great teams do...they rise up to the occasion and make plays when necessary, regardless of the situation.

Intelligentsia

Pretty much sums it up, regardless of talent, coaching, should'a, could'a, and if; Morrilton did what THEY needed to do - and won.  They got the 1st place trophy, their name is in the championsh list and that's that.  If they played a series of 7 games ... But they don't - it's football and the best team on THAT night is the team that wins.

PercussionMan

Coach Kelly had built his program on his kind of football.  He has won three state championships in the last 10 years.  I don't think any other 4A or 5A school has done that.

Greenwood won six in a 10 year span.

PercussionMan

Quote from: 24tedmiller on December 03, 2014, 11:51:49 am
Then apparently there isn't good football teams in Arkansas. There in the state finals for crying out loud. It doesn't make sense to me sometimes either(going for it 4th and long on there own 20), but to say they cant beat good teams playing that way is not a very smart statement. 3 state championships in 10 years speaks for itself.

Agreed!

Coach Venny Slocombe

Just got word from my contact in Wynne...Code name "Delta Razor"...and he said that Chris Hill and staff will be going back to the "Diamond T" for this game to confuse PA and the coaching staff...should be a dandy...

Wynne - 14
PA - 13

Overdahill

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 03, 2014, 02:18:16 pm
Just got word from my contact in Wynne...Code name "Delta Razor"...and he said that Chris Hill and staff will be going back to the "Diamond T" for this game to confuse PA and the coaching staff...should be a dandy...

Wynne - 14
PA - 13

Did they run that still in the 2006 semi at Wynne that ended 43-42?

PA Dad

Wynne - 14
PA - 13

Wow.  I bet that would confuse PA!  But, that won't help Wynne's defense hold PA to 13 points.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 03, 2014, 03:01:29 pm

Wynne - 14
PA - 13

Wow.  I bet that would confuse PA!  But, that won't help Wynne's defense hold PA to 13 points.

I think he means Wynne is going to hold the ball and give PA one possession each half.  That's the only way they will hold PA to 13!

24tedmiller

Yeah and PA is going to kick it deep everytime...lol

Coach Venny Slocombe

I don't care what the final score is, as long as PA loses...I will never cheer for a private school...

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 03, 2014, 04:07:54 pm
I don't care what the final score is, as long as PA loses...I will never cheer for a private school...
Why?

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: HeberFan on December 02, 2014, 07:37:04 am
The "go for it ever time on fourth down" dogma must have limits, right?  If PA is ahead by two points with a minute to play, facing 4th and 20 from it's own 10 yard line, do they punt?

Last year right before half against Morrilton PA had the ball 4th and 25 from their 2 yard line and they punted. I think that may have been the only time all year.

PercussionMan

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 03, 2014, 04:19:55 pm
Quote from: HeberFan on December 02, 2014, 07:37:04 am

Last year right before half against Morrilton PA had the ball 4th and 25 from their 2 yard line and they punted. I think that may have been the only time all year.

Was that the only punt that game?  Or, did Morrilton cause them to punt again late in the ball game up two scores?  I was thinking they punted twice, but I may be wrong. 

PercussionMan

Quote from: Overdahill on December 03, 2014, 02:23:53 pm

Wynne - 14
PA - 13

Did they run that still in the 2006 semi at Wynne that ended 43-42?

I believe they were still running it then, but wasn't that 2005?  You're talking about the game with Greenwood, right?  I remember that, because I was at Batesville watching Morrilton have their way with the Pioneers, and they announced the final over the p.a. system.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas