• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My top 5 after week 12

Started by FootballFan50, November 23, 2014, 06:07:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcat72

Smackovers defense was salty but we did our part to help as well. I think there is a big gap after Charleston Booneville & Smackover.

voice74

I wasn't able to be at the game as I was out of town on business. I watched the ustream link.  I tend to agree with uncle Rico.  Grown men calling 17 year olds jerks is not professional.  But I'm glad I got to watch the game and I think every school should start a ustream channel.  It would help kids who wanted to go into broadcasting and such. Kudos to Lamar for doing that.

I also appreciate coach jones coming on with his thoughts.  Here is what I was thinking on it all.

A couple things...

Comparing teams without playing the games against each other is all speculation.  I know we all know that.  It is fun to talk about and speculate.  Watching the game, here is my speculation and opinion...

Does Smackover have a small Dline...or do they play a quicker D line against a team with a QB that doesn't throw well under pressure? Did the QB have an off night or did Smackover DBs have the speed to be in the right place when pressure forced bad throws.  Was it an "off" night by Lamar or a staff in Smackover that watched film and came up with a game plan specifically for Lamar.  I would think the latter.

I believe that Lamar is a good team.  Big offensive line and number 2 is a physical player!  He got a lot of yards up the middle...a lot of the backs would get four yards or so.  However Smackover holding Lamar to 130 yards or so of total offense seems like quite a feat. And that's about the average that smackovers defense has been giving up all year. 

As for being the most penalized team...that is a diplomatic way of saying a team is undisciplined.  I don't think that is the case...it is debatable on either side.  I'm going to say they are disciplined and play hard.  You would say undisciplined and that is ok...  It is all about how you see the team.  I would say Smackover was excited about winning and being excited about a good play...you would call it arrogant.

So will Smackover match up well with Charleston or Booneville? I don't know...  Has charleston or Booneville seen speed in the secondary enough to cover their receivers one on one? I doubt it.  It's going to be about which team is able to do what they want to.  Smackover was able to do that against Lamar.  Lamar wasn't able to do what it wanted to against Smackover and the Bucks won in a route. 

I know...I know...  But Lamar had six turnovers...

Well did Lamar have six turnovers or did Smackover scheme to force 6...I believe the latter. 

Congrats on a good season Lamar and good luck to the Buckaroos. Don't overlook the Redbugs and I hope you make it to the Rock!

Jimbo Morphis

which team were the announcers calling jerks?

UncleRicoWinsState

They called Smackover's number 7 a jerk.  I believe it was on the kickoff return of the second half.  A Lamar player hit him pretty hard and appeared to reach a hand out to help him up.  Not sure if words were exchanged on either side but #7 got up without the offered help.  To the announcers disgust they called him a jerk and said he "swatted at the player," which he did not.  He did, however, have 3 touchdown catches I believe for around 150yds receiving.  Maybe that led to their animosity...especially after they ranted all 1st quarter how the only passing plays Smackover had were to #10 Arkansas commit Jordan Jones.  This among comments about the refs "having their heads up their butts," and claiming one of the refs failed to throw a flag because "he was thinking about that sandwich in the dressing room later."  Quite possibly my favorite quote of the night was shortly after halftime they tried to explain that the game was much closer than the 30-0 score reflected.  Then there was the "Slick Magic Football" conspiracy, where they accused Smackover's kicker and coaches of purposely putting a "1960's" ball in there so Lamar players would fumble kickoffs.  This they used to defend why their player fumbled in the first quarter.  That fumble resulting in a 50 or so yard pass play on the next play from scrimmage for Smackover that apparently was snapped by a gunman on the grassy knoll.  Oh, and complete disrespect for the Lamar coaches and their strategies... they disagreed with them the whole game and weren't afraid to say it.  I guess if I were coach Jones, I'd look for other announcers or just mute my own game film.       

Jimbo Morphis

WPWells

That's absolutely incredible

12th Man won't mention teams, but his favorite radio call came with 10 seconds left in a game, team A up by 4 and Team B with the ball on their own 35. The announcers said that Team A's defense "better be watching for a pass"

Proud Buckaroo

UncleRico,

I am so glad that you are bringing these things up. I watched the UStream of the game yesterday when I got off of work and I was pretty disgusted with the way the announcers were talking. They also said at one point when our #3 ran down the field on a kick to Lamar and laid a hit on the kid receiving the ball... They said, "That is just not right. They should have thrown the targeting call. And eject him. You cannot lead with your head." If you click the link and watch the clip I posted. He is clearly tackling him with his shoulder.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: voice74 on November 24, 2014, 01:23:24 pm
I wasn't able to be at the game as I was out of town on business. I watched the ustream link.  I tend to agree with uncle Rico.  Grown men calling 17 year olds jerks is not professional.  But I'm glad I got to watch the game and I think every school should start a ustream channel.  It would help kids who wanted to go into broadcasting and such. Kudos to Lamar for doing that.

I also appreciate coach jones coming on with his thoughts.  Here is what I was thinking on it all.

A couple things...

Comparing teams without playing the games against each other is all speculation.  I know we all know that.  It is fun to talk about and speculate.  Watching the game, here is my speculation and opinion...

Does Smackover have a small Dline...or do they play a quicker D line against a team with a QB that doesn't throw well under pressure? Did the QB have an off night or did Smackover DBs have the speed to be in the right place when pressure forced bad throws.  Was it an "off" night by Lamar or a staff in Smackover that watched film and came up with a game plan specifically for Lamar.  I would think the latter.

I believe that Lamar is a good team.  Big offensive line and number 2 is a physical player!  He got a lot of yards up the middle...a lot of the backs would get four yards or so.  However Smackover holding Lamar to 130 yards or so of total offense seems like quite a feat. And that's about the average that smackovers defense has been giving up all year. 

As for being the most penalized team...that is a diplomatic way of saying a team is undisciplined.  I don't think that is the case...it is debatable on either side.  I'm going to say they are disciplined and play hard.  You would say undisciplined and that is ok...  It is all about how you see the team.  I would say Smackover was excited about winning and being excited about a good play...you would call it arrogant.

So will Smackover match up well with Charleston or Booneville? I don't know...  Has charleston or Booneville seen speed in the secondary enough to cover their receivers one on one? I doubt it.  It's going to be about which team is able to do what they want to.  Smackover was able to do that against Lamar.  Lamar wasn't able to do what it wanted to against Smackover and the Bucks won in a route. 

I know...I know...  But Lamar had six turnovers...

Well did Lamar have six turnovers or did Smackover scheme to force 6...I believe the latter. 

Congrats on a good season Lamar and good luck to the Buckaroos. Don't overlook the Redbugs and I hope you make it to the Rock!

+1. It means a lot to the team, and fan base to read this post.

adaptedtigerfan

Why is "the team" on here anyway?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on November 24, 2014, 02:50:30 pm
Why is "the team" on here anyway?

They're not. As YOU know players aren't allowed on here, bigman.

cdelaney

Quote from: FootballFan50 on November 23, 2014, 06:07:19 pm
1. Charleston
2. Smackover
3. Booneville
4. Hoxie
5. ECS
Fortunately the opinions won't matter much longer, but since we are doing it I would still say there are 4 teams in 3A that have proven they are a cut above the rest. Since Prescott lost to Booneville, I would put them #4. The other "top 10" teams have not beaten any of those 4 and haven't even come close really. Hoxie gets a chance this week, and either Mayflower or ECS will get a crack at Smackover since I can't see Fordyce surviving another week.

Wolfpack68

Quote from: cdelaney on November 24, 2014, 02:59:16 pm
Quote from: FootballFan50 on November 23, 2014, 06:07:19 pm
1. Charleston
2. Smackover
3. Booneville
4. Hoxie
5. ECS
Fortunately the opinions won't matter much longer, but since we are doing it I would still say there are 4 teams in 3A that have proven they are a cut above the rest. Since Prescott lost to Booneville, I would put them #4. The other "top 10" teams have not beaten any of those 4 and haven't even come close really. Hoxie gets a chance this week, and either Mayflower or ECS will get a crack at Smackover since I can't see Fordyce surviving another week.
+1

Clara Allen

Ok.  I need to weigh in now.   I was at the game so did not listen to the ustream.   But I do know both the gentlemen who do the play by play.  Guys they are respected men in the community and very passionate about the game and the Warriors.  Neither if them have a child in the team  I am pretty sure I now who made the jerk comment and the remarks about the officiating  and I don't dispute it was done.  I am in no way making excuses for he remarks and I am sorry that they offended listeners.  It does make our school look bad.  Personally I saw none of the stuff they were talking about.  There were a couple of not the greatest actions on both sides as far as sportsmanship was concerned.  I will tell you something that I saw when I left the stadium- one of our big linemen standing at the gate having a conversation with two smackover players.  All were smiling and zero animosity between them.   True gentlemen right there.  If ever we meet again in football I hope for that kind of sportsmanship   Again I apologize for the remarks.   I know they were made in the heat of the moment.   And the fact we were getting spanked didn't help.    You want to really hear some remarks over the airways, the two old boys from Atkins put on a pretty good show especially if they are losing. 

voice74

Quote from: warriorsforever2 on November 25, 2014, 06:10:04 am
Ok.  I need to weigh in now.   I was at the game so did not listen to the ustream.   But I do know both the gentlemen who do the play by play.  Guys they are respected men in the community and very passionate about the game and the Warriors.  Neither if them have a child in the team  I am pretty sure I now who made the jerk comment and the remarks about the officiating  and I don't dispute it was done.  I am in no way making excuses for he remarks and I am sorry that they offended listeners.  It does make our school look bad.  Personally I saw none of the stuff they were talking about.  There were a couple of not the greatest actions on both sides as far as sportsmanship was concerned.  I will tell you something that I saw when I left the stadium- one of our big linemen standing at the gate having a conversation with two smackover players.  All were smiling and zero animosity between them.   True gentlemen right there.  If ever we meet again in football I hope for that kind of sportsmanship   Again I apologize for the remarks.   I know they were made in the heat of the moment.   And the fact we were getting spanked didn't help.    You want to really hear some remarks over the airways, the two old boys from Atkins put on a pretty good show especially if they are losing.

Good post, I know that emotions run high in big games and it can get crazy quickly.  Great to hear that the players were chatting after the game like that.  No doubt there are class acts on both sides. 

I'm glad that all of you made it home safely.  I hope we get to play again sometime in the future.  I think it is always neat to see the different schools and styles play each other. 

Like I have always said, congrats on a great season.  Judging by the athletes on your team you more than likely will have a successful basketball and baseball season.  Good luck to you guys.

Oh...and listening to Atkins football commentators is now on the bucket list! ;)

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 24, 2014, 10:57:19 am
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 24, 2014, 10:55:34 am
12th Man will join in and also give a +1 to Coach

This third person stuff is getting a little weird!

Very Wierd

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas