• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mountain View The Dark Horse

Started by YELLOWJACKETS20, November 19, 2014, 08:51:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

YELLOWJACKETS20

10-1 record, top running back in the state, solid quarterback, big line on both side of the ball. Secondary has tightin up. Hootens gots ecs by 26? That's ridiculous, from what I've read and the stats on ecs they can not defend the run. Mountain View is the dark horse team in the 3a

WHITEchicken

what exactly do you mean by best running back in the state? You mean 3a? most yards?

Proud Buckaroo

I would actually say Fordyce is the dark horse in the second round. They are low on numbers. I think like 26 kids. Several quit the begining of the season. They have two good backs. One plays all three ways. Never leaves the field. They finished 3rd place in their conference.

WHITEchicken

held smackover scoreless in the first quarter also.

Proud Buckaroo

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: YELLOWJACKETS20 on November 19, 2014, 08:51:30 am
10-1 record, top running back in the state, solid quarterback, big line on both side of the ball. Secondary has tightin up. Hootens gots ecs by 26? That's ridiculous, from what I've read and the stats on ecs they can not defend the run. Mountain View is the dark horse team in the 3a

Top running back?  Please elaborate.  What is the average size of the line?

Mtnview_14

He is a great running back.  We just play in a horrible conference with only two other good teams.  We have also only attempted about 20 passes all year.  He doesn't even lead the state. He's 4th in rushing the last time I checked.  Mtn view has a chance to win IF and only it they can keep it low scoring, dominate time of possession, commit low to no mistakes, complete scoring drives, and don't try to play episcopal with a cover 1.  Episcopal will have more talent but they are beatable by mtn view

WHITEchicken

im pretty sure that is a great way for any team to win. So were you just being a fan when you said best RB in the state?

Mtnview_14

That wasn't me.... Just similar usernames lol.  ECS likely has a greater depth of talent and more speed.  But mtn view can definitely run the ball and stop the run. Offensive and defensive lines have excellent size. But there are only a few that actually fire off the line.  The pass defense has gotten better, but then again we have not played a good quarterback for several weeks.  We have athletes to play cover 3 and cover 4.  But they will have to be utilized well. Most mtn view players will be playing both ways tho.  This could be a disadvantage typically, but considering how cold it will be, it may be to a players advantage to stay on the field and stay warm.  How is episcopal as far as team numbers?  I think we have 25-30 players

cdelaney

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 19, 2014, 10:17:41 am
That wasn't me.... Just similar usernames lol.  ECS likely has a greater depth of talent and more speed.  But mtn view can definitely run the ball and stop the run. Offensive and defensive lines have excellent size. But there are only a few that actually fire off the line.  The pass defense has gotten better, but then again we have not played a good quarterback for several weeks.  We have athletes to play cover 3 and cover 4.  But they will have to be utilized well. Most mtn view players will be playing both ways tho.  This could be a disadvantage typically, but considering how cold it will be, it may be to a players advantage to stay on the field and stay warm.  How is episcopal as far as team numbers?  I think we have 25-30 players
We are up to 28 total because we had a few freshmen move up. All but one healthy now. We had one game with 17 dressed out. About 17-18 play the bulk if the minutes and a few of those never come off the field if game is still competitive. It doesn't look like it will be cold but could rain.
Can MV pass if they have to?

RiceBurner501

i doubt they can pass if they have too if they have only attempted about 20 passes all year.. lol I think the talent of ECS will knock off The Dark Horse.. by 20+

Pastureboy21

I think ECS stopped the run pretty well last week against the 3a-4 power house Danville Sooooo

WildcatGrandpa13

Not trying to take anything away from Mtn. View's running back, but IMO and from what I've seen (12th Man) Jon Johnson from BHG is the best in the state; I believe he has the most all-purpose yards, and he can fly down the field

Mtnview_14

He is a great back.  His size is the only thing stopping him from getting a scholarship.   And the sad thing is mtn view could have a very potent passing game if they were coached to.  Talented quarterback and very athletic wide receivers with a great sized tight end.   It's honestly a shame to see them wasted to run blocking 50 times a game

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on November 19, 2014, 11:05:08 am
Not trying to take anything away from Mtn. View's running back, but IMO and from what I've seen (12th Man) Jon Johnson from BHG is the best in the state; I believe he has the most all-purpose yards, and he can fly down the field

Opinions are appreciated.  It takes more than yards and speed to be the best back in the state.

Radiotalker

You're right.........ECS by 21

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 19, 2014, 11:17:31 am

Opinions are appreciated.  It takes more than yards and speed to be the best back in the state.
This is very true; however, how much you impact the total offensive scheme is also a big part of being the best back in the state. And Johnson is basically BHG's entire offense. The amount BHG relies on him to produce is unprecedented in the state. He is one of the most, if the the most, players with the most impact in 3A.

TheTruth2010

I don't think ECS by 26 is ridiculous. Mountain view has a weak schedule. If I'm not mistaking y'all lost to West Fork by 22, and I think ECS is better than West Fork.

Mtnview_14

Yes we lost by 22.  And not that it's an excuse but we had quite a few players out with injuries and were penalized for over 100 yards and I think had three turnovers.  Yes we play in a weak conference but west fork is a pretty good team.  Many other teams with what many mistakes wouldv lost by 50.  We played many sophmores in that game who have grown up quite a bit.   The odds are against us. But I don't think it's a 26 point spread. I think whoever wins will win by 14 points or less

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on November 19, 2014, 12:03:26 pm

This is very true; however, how much you impact the total offensive scheme is also a big part of being the best back in the state. And Johnson is basically BHG's entire offense. The amount BHG relies on him to produce is unprecedented in the state. He is one of the most, if the the most, players with the most impact in 3A.

More like, "His team lives or dies by his performance more than anyone else in the state."

cdelaney

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 19, 2014, 03:02:41 pm
Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on November 19, 2014, 12:03:26 pm

More like, "His team lives or dies by his performance more than anyone else in the state."
More accurate way to put it probably, but what about Storey? I know Charleston has more than just him but they would not be the favorite would they?
Anyway you would love to have this Johnson kid Oldschool. He is tailor made for Booneville.

OLDSCHOOL82

I agree.  We have backs with great stats but
It's always a better team when there are several good stats instead of one with crazy stats.  I'll try and find some film on the lad.

cdelaney

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 19, 2014, 04:23:21 pm
I agree.  We have backs with great stats but
It's always a better team when there are several good stats instead of one with crazy stats.  I'll try and find some film on the lad.
I would suggest the ECS game, just hide your eyes when you watch our tackling! And remember we were down a few of our best defenders.

Mtnview_14

Charleston was a very successful team before storey and they will continue to be when he's gone. 

cdelaney

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 19, 2014, 05:28:19 pm
Charleston was a very successful team before storey and they will continue to be when he's gone.
I agree, I just mean this year, right now, if they lost him, like BHG lost their RB in the last game of the season, I think that would have a pretty big impact on their chances.

Mtnview_14

It's different for every team.  Charleston has a pretty deep, talented program. One player will not make or break them. I doubt Charlestons  backup QB is half as talented as storey. But you would like to think he's learned a thing or two about playing quarterback from him.      But take smaller schools like mtn view.  We have no passing game. The only thing that gets us by is the defenses having to respect all three running backs and the quarterback. We have snuck several long play action passes in this year. But we aren't going to win a game passing.  We have talented recievers, they just never get their number called much.

RowdyReputation40

I've saw epc and they're very talented. The twins and the little scat back #4 I believe are the real deal. Closer than hootens expects but still by 21.

WPWells

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 19, 2014, 07:22:15 pm
It's different for every team.  Charleston has a pretty deep, talented program. One player will not make or break them. I doubt Charlestons  backup QB is half as talented as storey. But you would like to think he's learned a thing or two about playing quarterback from him.      But take smaller schools like mtn view.  We have no passing game. The only thing that gets us by is the defenses having to respect all three running backs and the quarterback. We have snuck several long play action passes in this year. But we aren't going to win a game passing.  We have talented recievers, they just never get their number called much.

Backup has a different kind of talent. He doesn't have the arm that Storey does, but he can run very very well

Mtnview_14

I would rather play a pocket quarterback than a scrambling quarterback any day!   You can actually blitz a pocket QB lol

WPWells

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 19, 2014, 07:32:23 pm
I would rather play a pocket quarterback than a scrambling quarterback any day!   You can actually blitz a pocket QB lol

The issue is that Storey can run too! However, the backup (Rowland) I imagine will run an option offense next year

Mtnview_14

I figured,  most division 1 quarterbacks are fairly Mobil at the high school level.  I hope he develops into a great college quarterback at Arkansas.  I'm sure he will definitely redshirt next season. But I imagine he will likely start his RS freshman or sophomore year,  depending on how Austin Allen develops

reduen

I will say this. Most people have underestimated Mountain View's Line this year. If I remember correctly, at one point in time they had either three or four nearly 400lb young men! Regardless, they have some very big young men on the line. The talent has been there for some time now but the culture to have a state caliber team has not been there. Is it there now? Only time will tell.. Anyway, I have watched most of those young men play since the third grade and I am glad to see that they have put together the run that they have this year. Good luck Yellowjackets....

Jalkuranis

If they are 400 Lb it should be easy to skirt around them.

Mtnview_14

The culture in Mountain View is better but honestly it makes me kind of angry because the first few games there were hardly any fans in the stands. And now that they are winning the fans are almost full I know it sounds bad but I would honestly rather have the fans that were there the whole time. Supporting them through the hard times  Than the fans who only wanna show up for sunny days. 

reduen

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 19, 2014, 09:41:47 pm
The culture in Mountain View is better but honestly it makes me kind of angry because the first few games there were hardly any fans in the stands. And now that they are winning the fans are almost full I know it sounds bad but I would honestly rather have the fans that were there the whole time. Supporting them through the hard times  Than the fans who only wanna show up for sunny days.

Trust me, I was there year after year! No point in naming names but I understand your frustration for sure. For me it was always about the kids though and to see them doing so well makes me smile. We all know that people love winners and some just more than others. Called winning by association...  :)

RiceBurner501

if they are close to 400, they are fat.. and will not be able to move very well.. Mt. Views  line sounds like a tough one but im not sure anybody in 3A can block number 75 from ECS. Hes the real deal. This could be a close one if ECS doesn't come to play. I have heard some talk from the players, and they are not ready to go home any time soon.If Charleston lost Ty, it would definitely hurt them badly. I dont think they could keep putting up the numbers they are now. If they played a good team with a solid defense they could quite possibly loose by a lot.

WPWells

Two words for you: Charleston's defense

Mtnview_14

Only two are fat and slow.  The other three pick up the slack nicely tho. We play in a down conference but we have played some good sized lineman

adaptedtigerfan

How did Charleston get brought in this?

WPWells

Lineman

cdelaney

Quote from: Lineman on November 20, 2014, 09:06:10 am
Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on November 20, 2014, 07:27:09 am
How did Charleston get brought in this?
Subliminal hijacking
It started with comments about the state's best running back being from Mt View, someone replied that Jon Johnson from BHG was the best and also the one player in 3A who was most essential to his team's success- without him they almost lost to Horatio and did lose to Fouke, which probably settled that question. Anyway, I suggested that Ty Storey was in that same category in that if Charleston lost him right now in the middle of the playoffs they would probably no longer be the favorite- not that they don't have a lot of other things going for them, etc, etc, blah, blah, but he is probably their difference maker. (the REAL DEAL)
Subliminally or not, Chuck posters have chimed in and taken humbrage at that suggestion it appears.

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 19, 2014, 10:27:39 pm
Only two are fat and slow.  The other three pick up the slack nicely tho. We play in a down conference but we have played some good sized lineman
I have seen some film on the boys, and for their size they really do move well

KOJACK

Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on November 20, 2014, 10:22:03 am
Some would even say remarkable... ;D

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: KOJACK on November 20, 2014, 11:47:09 am
Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on November 20, 2014, 10:22:03 am
Some would even say remarkable... ;D
I wouldn't go that far KOJACK. I don't just throw that word around...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas