• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morrilton vs Maumelle

Started by DaOldRef, October 20, 2014, 12:26:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DaOldRef

October 20, 2014, 12:26:39 am Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:32:24 am by DaOldRef
Teams so similar as these are right now, anything could happen.  It will be back and forth all night long. Slight advantage might go to Morrilton with the home field advantage.  Maumelle has the record and momentum, but are playing a man or two down due to injuries and team depth  could factor in favor of Morrilton. Whichever team wills itself top to bottom to win this one and minimize the injuries & mistakes should come out the victor.

Chief_Osceola™

I think we'll be dialed in and ready to go.  We've played well on the road in conference play, and this is another of those games we've had circled as a must-win.  I don't remember any major injuries last week, other than Acklin tweaking his ankle again.  I'm guessing Coe is out for a while, but I thought Braylon and others filled in nicely last Friday.  If we can keep from dropping passes and can have good center-QB exchanges, I think we'll be fine on offense.

Defensively, Morrilton will present a good challenge with their running game.  They're gonna be fast.  We're going to have to do a good job of limiting big plays and try to keep them behind the chains to force passing situations.

All in all, I think this will be a good game.  I can't get a read on Morrilton to make an accurate prediction though.

MoTownDog

We have been playing with our 3rd sting quarterback for the last 3 games.  And we have been doing ok.  Not a lot of teams could win or keep it close doing that.  If our starting quarterback is back, we should be able to play with Maumelle.  Maybe not beat, but play with them. 

PercussionMan

Quote from: MoTownDog on October 20, 2014, 01:55:26 pm
We have been playing with our 3rd sting quarterback for the last 3 games.  And we have been doing ok.  Not a lot of teams could win or keep it close doing that.  If our starting quarterback is back, we should be able to play with Maumelle.  Maybe not beat, but play with them. 

He was back Friday night at Farmington and looked pretty good.  Our sophomore started the game, but our starter came in during the second quarter.  Both of them looked good when they were in.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them both get some playing time Friday night.  We can't afford to get our starter injured again, but we also can't afford to lose this game.  A Morrilton win in this one will set them up for a great shot at the playoffs while a loss almost dooms them.  I'm glad this game is at home.  I look forward to seeing this Maumelle team that has not yet lost in conference in its first year in the normally strong 5A West. 

PWDad

I have seen Vilonia play both of these teams. Team speed is about equal but I am going with Morrilton because of #5. Man that kid is good

Go Postal

Chief, I think that Maumelle has done a very great job this year.  But, never, ever overlook the Devil Dogs in a West conference season.  Look at last year for instance, they lost West champions to Alma, but ended up 5A Champs.  If they are healthy, they can bite you in the rear or even...

Good Luck to both of these West teams!

Jayepea

The Future

Maumelle finishes out the season after this week with Farmington and LRC. 2 games that they should win. Morrilton is the only team left that can keep Maumelle from finishing 7-0. A Morrilton win would definitely help the Devil Dog's playoff chances. And with Vilonia most likely winning and a very good chance of Brier winning as well, this is certainly a must win game for Morrilton.

Maumelle by 7

PercussionMan

Quote from: Jayepea on October 20, 2014, 09:35:47 pm
Hornets r good Dogs beware

I've heard this a lot this year, as well as last year.  I hope Morrilton is healthy and can compete.  They definitely need the win to stay in the playoff picture.  The game being at Devil Dog stadium may be the big plus.  Looking forward to a good one!

Fballfan05

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 20, 2014, 12:55:11 pm
I think we'll be dialed in and ready to go.  We've played well on the road in conference play, and this is another of those games we've had circled as a must-win.  I don't remember any major injuries last week, other than Acklin tweaking his ankle again.  I'm guessing Coe is out for a while, but I thought Braylon and others filled in nicely last Friday.  If we can keep from dropping passes and can have good center-QB exchanges, I think we'll be fine on offense.

Defensively, Morrilton will present a good challenge with their running game.  They're gonna be fast.  We're going to have to do a good job of limiting big plays and try to keep them behind the chains to force passing situations.

All in all, I think this will be a good game.  I can't get a read on Morrilton to make an accurate prediction though.
how many starters will not play for maumelle Friday? Also do they have any that are questionable or banged up and what do they play?

Chief_Osceola™

The only one I know of that is out is Michael Cole, one of our starting LB's. Other than that one of our RB's may or may not be back at 100%. Our other back is really good too though. We spread it out on offense and our defense gives multiple looks. Both sides of the ball play fast.

DaOldRef

Cole has been related to me as out for he year.  Originally was told he tore a patella tendon, but don't know what the full extent of his injuries are.  He was certainly having a good year.

MoTownDog

Well, I saw a first tonight.  The corner for maumelle punched our coach in the stomach on an out of bounds play.  Never seen that before.  We are a better team than maumelle with our starting quarter back.  We dominated them the first half.  They had negative yards rushing in the first half.  They didn't like smash mouth football.  Then our quarterback got a hangnail in the second quarter and went down again.  Then we compiled about 300 yards in penalties and six fumbles, we lost by two touchdowns.  I'm not sure where "D1" quarterback rumor came from.  He maybe could be a D2 running back because he is very quick but throwing the ball at all is out of the question.  The LA Monroe kid was pretty good though. 

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: MoTownDog on October 24, 2014, 10:10:49 pm
Well, I saw a first tonight.  The corner for maumelle punched our coach in the stomach on an out of bounds play.  Never seen that before. 

Oh, please tell me there's video of this.

AT

Maumelle has clinched at least a share of the conference title I believe and with a win next week, they clinch the conference outright.

Chief_Osceola™

Well, I saw a first tonight.  The corner for maumelle punched our coach in the stomach on an out of bounds play.  Never seen that before.

#22 from Morrilton didn't act any better. I didn't see any punches thrown though. What number was it?

QuoteWe are a better team than maumelle with our starting quarter back.  We dominated them the first half.  They had negative yards rushing in the first half.

LOL no you're not. I could just as easily say we'd have won by 4 touchdown if our offensive line had shown up and if we didn't have 4 turnovers. And Morrilton wouldn't be able to score enough points, starting QB or not. Our defense is elite. I don't remember Morrilton crossing midfield in the second half.

QuoteThey didn't like smash mouth football.  Then our quarterback got a hangnail in the second quarter and went down again.

Yet it's us that doesn't like smash mouth football...interesting.

QuoteThen we compiled about 300 yards in penalties and six fumbles, we lost by two touchdowns.

Isn't that Morrilton's modus operandi? Tons of athleticism, lacking in discipline.

QuoteI'm not sure where "D1" quarterback rumor came from.  He maybe could be a D2 running back because he is very quick but throwing the ball at all is out of the question.  The LA Monroe kid was pretty good though. 

Ha, who said that? J.B. is a great athlete, but he's too small to play any position at the D1 level. He actually is a running back, but had to play QB this year because our starter from last year was ineligible.

#5 (Minor I think) is real good.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 24, 2014, 10:24:50 pm
Maumelle has clinched at least a share of the conference title I believe and with a win next week, they clinch the conference outright.

Yes that's correct. We could still end up as the 2 seed though if we lose our last 2 and LRC wins out. They play us week 10.

mijally

MoTownDog

I have to admit we had a bunch of stupid penalties.  I would have pulled 22 out of the game if I were the coach.  I'm not sure what he was thinking when he hit the kicker. Dumbest play I've ever seen.   Heck of a hit though.  He would have blocked the punt if he'd put his hands up.

mijally

He didn't put his hands out because he had no intention of trying to block it.  He was taking a cheap shot. It was a dirty play and he should be suspended.

mijally

And if they suspended coaches for that line of garbage you wouldn't see it happening.

mijally

"Heck of a hit though". On a defenseless punter. C'mon Motown.  Your wrong about pulling 22 out.  Just one. The Head Coach. He's the one responsible for the way they play.

MoTownDog

Our coach didn't tell him to do it. It cost us a possession and if I remember you guys scored off of it. I'm not sure why the kid did it.  I know he had 3 personal fouls and he should have been taken out.  I guess our coach was still mad about being sucker punched by your corner.

Chief_Osceola™

I'll ask again - which corner was it?

mijally

Morrilton coach in an altercation with an opposing teams player.  Not surprising.  1 cheap personal foul?  It happens. 2 cheap shot pf's?  C'mon now. 3 cheap shot personal fouls?  That's a team and coaching culture.

PercussionMan

October 25, 2014, 08:43:53 am #25 Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:50:06 am by PercussionMan
This game reminds me a lot of the Alma game last year...great defense on both sides, but way too many turnovers (except it was on both sides this time).

I will give Maumelle's defense credit...they are very good.  But, I will also say this...they may be in trouble against other teams in the playoffs with equally good defenses (especially good run defenses) if they can't score any better than that.  I agree with MoTownDog...their passing is about like our's...nonexistent!  I was not at all impressed with their offense (or Morrilton's either, for that matter). Morrilton held them to less than 190 yards of total offense.  Had the Devil Dogs taken care of the ball at the 15-yard line and not fumbled, it would have been interesting to see how Maumelle would have responded down 14-0.  Because, we had the momentum and were moving the ball pretty well, and Maumelle looked stunned.  That fumble returned 85 yards for a touchdown and the fumble on the next offense play from scrimmage (and then the Maumelle score on the next play to put them up 13-7) were momentum shifting, game changers! 

Whenever Morrilton was down only 13-7 (for such a long period of time before the last Maumelle score in the 4th quarter), our coaching staff should have been throwing the ball...Maumelle had stopped our running game dead in it's tracks for the most part!  Don't start throwing when you're down two possessions with only 4-5 minutes to go.  That's stupid on their part.  When one thing doesn't work well, why not try something else!

Hats off to Maumelle's coaching staff for making the necessary defensive adjustments at halftime. 

PercussionMan

Well, I saw a first tonight.  The corner for maumelle punched our coach in the stomach on an out of bounds play.  Never seen that before.  We are a better team than maumelle with our starting quarter back.  We dominated them the first half.  They had negative yards rushing in the first half.  They didn't like smash mouth football.  Then our quarterback got a hangnail in the second quarter and went down again.  Then we compiled about 300 yards in penalties and six fumbles, we lost by two touchdowns.  I'm not sure where "D1" quarterback rumor came from.  He maybe could be a D2 running back because he is very quick but throwing the ball at all is out of the question.  The LA Monroe kid was pretty good though. 

I wondered what the heck happened to our starting QB.  Once our sophomore 3rd string QB went in, I knew we were in trouble!  I realize he's only a 10th grader, but he lacks confidence...BIG TIME!  He seems scared to run...scared to throw...scared in general! 

mijally

Morriltons defense outplayed Maumelle's offense all night. We are fortunate we have the defense we do to keep us in games where we struggle offensively.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: mijally on October 25, 2014, 11:48:40 am
Morriltons defense outplayed Maumelle's offense all night. We are fortunate we have the defense we do to keep us in games where we struggle offensively.

Morrilton did play great on that side of the ball. I haven't seen our OL struggle that much all year, and I think a big part of that was due to Morrilton's D. Very athletic - the last touchdown could have gone for a loss if the blitzing safety had been a step SLOWER. He got in the backfield so quickly he actually overran it, and then there was no help after the 2nd level. Overall both defenses were dominant.

Hornetsupporter

Just for the record. Maumelle player did not punch a coach. The coach pushed #4 our qb after the play was over. The coach came up and said he was sorry. As we were walking to the dressing room at halftime.

MoTownDog

October 26, 2014, 05:06:00 pm #30 Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:29:59 pm by MoTownDog

the voice

The game was one in which both offenses struggled, not to take anything from maumelle, I didnt see an elite on the field friday night. Morriltons offense struggled as they will until QB gets healthy , maybe next season before we are truly balanced again, just being honest. The west is down very down this year, it will show in playoffs when they get bounced out early, I will be surprised if any west teams make it out of second round, congrats to maumelle , enjoy the win

the voice

October 27, 2014, 07:43:20 am #32 Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:45:31 am by the voice
////

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas