• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maumelle vs Vilonia

Started by DaOldRef, October 12, 2014, 01:54:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DaOldRef

October 12, 2014, 01:54:40 pm Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:56:55 pm by DaOldRef
I would suspect many are surprised at Maumelle's sucess this year, and I'm one of them.  While not very deep, they are getting dinged up, but still finding ways to win.  The town/community has yet to fall in with support, but when the town has possibly 20% of its students going to CAC, LRCA, Ark Baptist, Catholic, etc., the general support just hasn't followed.  It's becoming more of a town team as the M to M rules have reduced LR students ability to transfer.  I believe the overall record between Vilonia/Oak Grove-Maumelle leans to Maumelle, but the games over the years have been very physical and competitive.  Statically the edge would probably favors Maumelle, but it's homecoming, so sometimes the mindset of the game gets altered.  I predict Maumelle by 7, 28-21.  Wishing for safe travels to our Vilonia friends as they come to Maumelle.

Jayepea

October 12, 2014, 02:52:40 pm #1 Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:19:38 pm by Jayepea
Welcome to the West Ref & thank you for the well wishes. LRC is good & has some great athletes. I look forward to seeing Vilonia give y'all a good game. Can you give us some history on  Oak Grove - Maulmelle?

Fury

I think Maumelle wins this game. I think their defense is one of the best (if not THE best), in 5A. I don't know much about Vilonia. However, if they are more of a run oriented offense, I think it will be a long night for Vilonia. Maumelle is big and physical on defense. I think they will go far this year. Fountain Lake (4A) played Maumelle and were held to 195 yds rushing. That's what FL does and pretty well too. FL ran for 454 yds vs LRCA, 410 yds vs Nashville, and 507 yds vs Arkadelphia, but Maumelle gave them fits without giving up big plays. Don't sleep on Maumelle...

Go Postal

October 12, 2014, 09:34:37 pm #3 Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:38:21 am by Go Postal
Maumelle is a very great defensive team.  They beat Harrison and Greenbrier's good offense.  They want to prove the old saying, "Defense wins games".  It should be very interesting to see what they do against the Vilonia Double Wing "Whatsis" running game and maybe passing.

DaOldRef

Maumelle hasnt played Farmington yet.  Clarksville was the team they beat after Harrison and before Greenbrier.  The Farmington game is after the Morrilton game.

Go Postal

Chief_Osceola™

Initially I thought Maumelle's pass defense was its strong suit, but the last 4 games have proved that we are pretty stout against the run.  We held a very good Fountain Lake rushing offense to 6 points, Harrison to negative rushing yards, and Greenbrier, while able to run some, never was able to establish much consistency.  Vilonia will be a test for sure, but I can't see us giving up big chunks of yardage.  The Eagles will have to sustain long, time-consuming drives to have a chance.  They will have to be creative and try to use Maumelle's speed against it with misdirection and hope the Hornets overpursue and get out of position.

Maumelle's offense has really come on since conference play started.  Minix is the fastest kid I've seen this year, and if he gets a seam he's gone.  Our starting RB Jacob Acklin got banged up last week and didn't play most of the second half, but I expect him to be back and ready to go.  He's not a big guy, but he is fast and shifty and can get to the edge pretty quickly.  Even though he's small, he's not afraid of contact when tough yards are needed.  Our receivers are fast and good in space, but they have dropped a few balls too.  Last week we put the ball on the ground a few times, and Greenbrier was able to take advantage of a couple turnovers to score with a short field.

I think our speed will ultimately be too much to handle and we'll win by a couple scores.

Jayepea

H.K. Malay says u can move on this game like it's already been played! Bet the over, bet the over.

Jayepea

Brett Beliuma if you want to watch some good high school football, We invite you to the Vilonia vs. Mallmelle game ( 10-17-14 at Mallmelle 7 pm ) while ur in town. I love high school football!!! Go Eagles & Go Hoggs!!!

DaOldRef

Chief, it may not have been too noticeable, but Greenbrier moved the ball on the ground fairly well.  Their #3 had 226 yards an 49 carries.  In keeping HS stats for over 35 years, I honestly don't remember a running back with that many carries against an Oak Grove/Maumelle team.  The Hornets were able to stick it in the end zone more effectively. Although we had 3 sacks against Greenbrier, we've usually stuffed the QB sufficiently enough to disrupt an opponents passing game.  I think against Harrison, we had 7 sacks.  Vilonia's rushing game concerns me now that we may have lost #32 to injury for possibly the rest of the season.  Everyone else in the front 7 will have to stay at home and not beat out of position.
In the Greenbrier game, total offense was 448-447 in favor of Maumelle, but it took the Panthers 90 plays to do that compared to the Hornets 58 plays.  90 plays is a lot of plays in HS.

Jayepea

October 13, 2014, 11:24:13 pm #10 Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:29:39 pm by Jayepea
OMG y'all really r eat up with it! After the game I'm taking my son muzzerloading hunting win or lose. Good luck to both teams!!

We need some meat!!

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: DaOldRef on October 13, 2014, 10:55:19 pm
Chief, it may not have been too noticeable, but Greenbrier moved the ball on the ground fairly well.  Their #3 had 226 yards an 49 carries.  In keeping HS stats for over 35 years, I honestly don't remember a running back with that many carries against an Oak Grove/Maumelle team.  The Hornets were able to stick it in the end zone more effectively. Although we had 3 sacks against Greenbrier, we've usually stuffed the QB sufficiently enough to disrupt an opponents passing game.  I think against Harrison, we had 7 sacks.  Vilonia's rushing game concerns me now that we may have lost #32 to injury for possibly the rest of the season.  Everyone else in the front 7 will have to stay at home and not beat out of position.
In the Greenbrier game, total offense was 448-447 in favor of Maumelle, but it took the Panthers 90 plays to do that compared to the Hornets 58 plays.  90 plays is a lot of plays in HS.

I knew he had a lot of carries, but didn't realize it was that many.  I was impressed by Greenbrier. They had a good gameplan, but like most weeks our speed was too much to overcome. Our big plays probably had something to do with the difference in number of plays ran, coupled with the turnovers.

I think this week we'll be able to play 8 or 9 in the box due to our speed in the secondary. Nick has been a lockdown corner on his side, and I think Spratt and Braylon will be able to hold down the other side. I could even see Braylon taking Coe's spot if he is out the rest of the year. What exactly happened to Michael? I haven't heard how serious his injury is.

vtowneagles

I think you need to lay off the highlife jaypea ya big goof

Go Postal

October 14, 2014, 11:51:13 pm #13 Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:55:41 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 13, 2014, 11:58:50 pm
Quote from: DaOldRef on October 13, 2014, 10:55:19 pm

I knew he had a lot of carries, but didn't realize it was that many.  I was impressed by Greenbrier. They had a good gameplan, but like most weeks our speed was too much to overcome. Our big plays probably had something to do with the difference in number of plays ran, coupled with the turnovers.

I think this week we'll be able to play 8 or 9 in the box due to our speed in the secondary. Nick has been a lockdown corner on his side, and I think Spratt and Braylon will be able to hold down the other side. I could even see Braylon taking Coe's spot if he is out the rest of the year. What exactly happened to Michael? I haven't heard how serious his injury is.
Greenbrier's offense has me concerned in week 8 when we play them.  GB and GOBS are very similar teams.  (Gobs didn't show up in the Maumelle game, not sure what was going on ??? ), but in this game, I want to let Maumelle know that Vilonia leads the Goblins and probably the Panthers (local rivals with the Eagles) having the most wins over the years.  This should be a good game with Vilonia wanting to tie for 1st in the West and Maumelle wanting to keep 1st place in the West.

Good Luck to both teams!  Veagles we will meet once again in Week 9. ;D

Dog_33

Maumelle is very talented across the board i remember when these seniors were in ninth grade

Overdahill

Quote from: Dog_33 on October 17, 2014, 04:00:26 pm
Maumelle is very talented across the board i remember when these seniors were in ninth grade

We will see soon if they can make a statement

sevenof400

In order to give me any degree of confidence that Vilonia has any hope in the post season, the Eagles need to win a game like this one.  None of the Vilonia victories are impressive to this point in the season...it is time for Vilonia to step up their game if they have legitimate post season goals.

InYoGrill

InYoGrill

Chief_Osceola™

InYoGrill

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 17, 2014, 07:37:40 pm
I am - sent you a PM.

I'll be in front of press box near 50 eagle hat. Meet at half?

InYoGrill

Maumelle can't stop v offense but hornets too fast and making big plays

InYoGrill

This maumelle announcer is animated but I like it

Chief_Osceola™

The_Pioneer

What the heck has happened to Vilonia football?  Used to be a regular contender.

sevenof400

Quote from: InYoGrill on October 17, 2014, 07:31:58 pm
7, you at the game?

Wasn't there tonight Grill....what did you think of the game?

InYoGrill

Quote from: The_Pioneer on October 17, 2014, 09:12:44 pm
What the heck has happened to Vilonia football?  Used to be a regular contender.

Hard to answer that Neer.  I've been around Eagle football regularly since about 2005. 

InYoGrill

October 17, 2014, 11:37:02 pm #27 Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:07:51 am by InYoGrill
Quote from: sevenof400 on October 17, 2014, 09:58:06 pm
7, you at the game?

Too many penalties!!! Again! Crucial turnovers!! Again! Players don't look excited playing out there. They are trying to win.

Go Postal

Well I was hoping that Veagles could knock off the polish on Maumelle's shoes.  You did scuff them though. ;)  Great team.  Don't they still have to play Motown and LRCA? 

Chief_Osceola™

We go to Morrilton, and have Farmington and LRC at home.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Go Postal on October 17, 2014, 11:39:26 pm
Well I was hoping that Veagles could knock off the polish on Maumelle's shoes.  You did scuff them though. ;)  Great team.  Don't they still have to play Motown and LRCA?

Postal, we were toe to toe with them until mid 3rd Q. Maumelle has great kicking game, stout D (though V ran ball at times very well on them), and fast shifty QB and backs. QB had some good passes but receivers dropped lots of balls.

Impressive stadium, field, and press box!!! But no visitor seating on other side of field???

Go Postal

Heck, I might want to do like Siloam Springs did back in the days against Harrison in that "other sport".  '05?  Make West t-shirts that say, "My favorite team is (-insert your West team here-), or anyone that can beat Maumelle".  LOL!
Maumelle is on a run.  Very good team.  Keep up the Good Work!

Chief_Osceola™

7, you at the game?

I'll answer from a Maumelle perspective. The first half was back and forth. We had trouble with the misdirection, and had two costly turnovers that led to scores. We did have some big plays, but all in all the first half was evenly matched. Then at halftime I was able to meet IYG. In the second half we were able to make enough adjustments on D to slow down Vilonia. However, we only scored a field goal as Vilonia had a couple big stops, one of which came after a failed fake punt in Vilonia territory. I think we broke a big run after a punt, and put the game away with an interception return for a touchdown with 3 minutes left. I will say this - Vilonia was scrappy, and #25 was a tough runner. The QB was a good athlete too - I think he could have success throwing the ball a little more. Once we figured out the run game. I think some more passing on first down and short-yardage situations would have kept us off balance.

Go Postal

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 18, 2014, 12:03:10 am
7, you at the game?

I'll answer from a Maumelle perspective. The first half was back and forth. We had trouble with the misdirection, and had two costly turnovers that led to scores. We did have some big plays, but all in all the first half was evenly matched. Then at halftime I was able to meet IYG. In the second half we were able to make enough adjustments on D to slow down Vilonia. However, we only scored a field goal as Vilonia had a couple big stops, one of which came after a failed fake punt in Vilonia territory. I think we broke a big run after a punt, and put the game away with an interception return for a touchdown with 3 minutes left. I will say this - Vilonia was scrappy, and #25 was a tough runner. The QB was a good athlete too - I think he could have success throwing the ball a little more. Once we figured out the run game. I think some more passing on first down and short-yardage situations would have kept us off balance.
Veagles threw the ball?  Watch out Harrison and Greenbrier defenses!  LOL!

InYoGrill

Very nice meeting Chief FSU. LOL! My neck hurt talking to him the whole halftime cause i am short and he is TALL. :) Enjoyed getting to know you Osceola and good luck against them Irish tomorrow. Postal, come on down in 2 weeks and lets meet??

Chief_Osceola™

That's the thing, Postal - I didn't think they threw the ball enough.  I know they are very run oriented, but they didn't pass enough to keep us off balance.  We had nine in the box with 2 safeties 8 yards off the line of scrimmage.  Granted, our secondary is fast, but we were able to attack more in the second half and got them behind the chains a few times which made it tough.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: InYoGrill on October 18, 2014, 12:16:21 am

Very nice meeting Chief FSU. LOL! My neck hurt talking to him the whole halftime cause i am short and he is TALL. :) Enjoyed getting to know you Osceola and good luck against them Irish tomorrow. Postal, come on down in 2 weeks and lets meet??

Likewise, IYG.  I'll be attending games at least 4-6 more years, so hopefully we remain conference foes.  I enjoy being in the 5A West - as I was saying tonight it's a wild conference with really no gimme games, Clarksville notwithstanding this year.

And I sure hope we beat the leprechauns tomorrow night.  I'm nervous, but optimistic!

InYoGrill

Look forward to making it a yearly tradition when we play each other. Maybe we can invite Panther Blue to hold our drinks and popcorn next time.  :)

Chief_Osceola™

Works for me!  It sounds like I need to hit him up for some golf lessons.

Go Postal

Quote from: InYoGrill on October 18, 2014, 12:33:33 am

Look forward to making it a yearly tradition when we play each other. Maybe we can invite Panther Blue to hold our drinks and popcorn next time.  :)
PB, should be at the next game in Harrison.  I would love to go to see the Vilonia Twisters Eagles at their turf. ;)  Not sure yet if I can get off work.  But you and PB save me a seat just in case.

Yes Chief. even though I don't play that sport, you should hit him up on Golf.  You both live in Maumelle.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Go Postal on October 18, 2014, 12:49:18 am
Quote from: InYoGrill on October 18, 2014, 12:33:33 am

PB, should be at the next game in Harrison.  I would love to go to see the Vilonia Twisters Eagles at their turf. ;)  Not sure yet if I can get off work.  But you and PB save me a seat just in case.

Yes Chief. even though I don't play that sport, you should hit him up on Golf.  You both live in Maumelle.

I believe Blue would show up in my backyard if you come down. But I know what you mean by trying to get off in time. That's a little bit of a drive. Let me know closer to game day if you will or won't.

PWDad

I went to the game Friday night. Maumelle just simply had better athletes. They are a very good team. I do wonder if the right team could get in their heads a little though. You could definitely tell they were rattled and got to wanting to fight in the first half when V was playing with them. But, they have some awesome athletes in the program.
On a side note, I did find it very interesting that Maumelle basically has nothing for the visiting team and fans. I was shocked to see the Vilonia team having to prep out of the buses. Then they had to sit on the field at halftime, no place for them to go and really discuss adjustments or even go to the bathroom! I see that as a definite advantage for Maumelle at home. Seems like triple A would have some basic requirements in place. I mean, what if it had been raining or really cold?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PWDad on October 20, 2014, 09:26:31 am
I went to the game Friday night. Maumelle just simply had better athletes. They are a very good team. I do wonder if the right team could get in their heads a little though. You could definitely tell they were rattled and got to wanting to fight in the first half when V was playing with them. But, they have some awesome athletes in the program.
On a side note, I did find it very interesting that Maumelle basically has nothing for the visiting team and fans. I was shocked to see the Vilonia team having to prep out of the buses. Then they had to sit on the field at halftime, no place for them to go and really discuss adjustments or even go to the bathroom! I see that as a definite advantage for Maumelle at home. Seems like triple A would have some basic requirements in place. I mean, what if it had been raining or really cold?

Long story short, we would have all of that were it not for the PCSSD.

Intelligentsia

The AAA ought to step in with a requirement like that in place for coaches audio equipment - if the visitors don't have a dressing room, the home team stays outside, as well.  No visitor dressing room - that's worse than allowing playoff games to be played at P.A.!

PWDad

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 20, 2014, 10:19:13 am

Long story short, we would have all of that were it not for the PCSSD.

I can certainly understand that! Do you think it will help with Jville branching out on its own?
It just seem like they did an awesome job of stands and press box for home team, but didn't even consider making something for opposing teams. Wonder if anybody has made them stay outside and no restrooms when they play away

Chief_Osceola™

I don't think Jacksonville leaving will have any effect, unfortunately.  Maumelle probably won't be able to do anything until it becomes its own school district.  At every game I've been to, the visiting team uses the restrooms under the bleachers, which is no fun for the players or the fans who are trying to use the facilities at halftime.  It sucks, but our hands are pretty much tied.

vtowneagles

The problem with vilonia trying to pass is I don't think anyone on the coaching staff knows how to pass! Stanley is a run guy and Jordan left! Jordan was always the one to called the pass plays! Not sure about any of the new guys that are there!

Jayepea

A pass play with only 1 guy running a route is asking for trouble.

Go Postal

It's a shame about what I'm hearing about the visiting teams situation.  I don't know what the PCSSD means, but there should be changing rooms for the visiting team.  Is there some rich person or businesses that want to make a private donation to the Maumelle school facilities?  It might even be tax deductible for them or maybe the visiting facilities could be at least named after them or both.  Just a thought.
When Maumelle or Vilonia or any team comes to Harrison, they change in the Mosco Cash Center indoor practice field in I believe in the Lady Goblins locker room.  That facility was built from private funds, not school funds by a 'Old time Goblin'.  Though visiting teams use the Cash Center, our plans are still to complete a visitor's locker room, visitor's concession stand and adding 500 more visitor's seating to complete our $8,600,000 football/soccer/track stadium dream.  But that will be from private donations, again, not school funds.
I hope someone or private individuals/businesses from the Maumelle/Little Rock area will think about this and donate toward upgrading the facilities.  Especially since Maumelle has done very, very well in their first season in the 5A.

mijally

Pulaski County Special School District. PCSSD. That's the district everyone is trying to get out of. Jacksonville is the only lucky one so far.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas