• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Missed Field Goal

Started by LH_DAD, October 20, 2018, 04:16:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LH_DAD

What is the rule on the spot of the ball after a missed field goal in High School?

Depends on where the ball ended up.  If it crossed the plane of the end zone it's a touchback.  If not, it's just like a punt.

football_referee

72113 is spot on

Field goals as nothing but scrimmage kicks

In National Federation of Highschool Sports rules which Arkansas play by
a field goal attempt (scrimmage kick) if it breaks the plane of the goal line the ball is dead and barring any fouls the ball will be placed 1st and 10 at the 20 yard line

If the field goal attempt (scrimmage kick) does not break the plane then the non kicking team can field it and return it, fair catch it, let it hit the ground and roll dead and depending on the outcome of the action is where the ball is placed.

Its not like college ball if the field goal attempt is inside the 20 yard line and is missed it returns to the 20 yard line where the next snap is put into play

if the attempt is outside the 20 and is missed then it returns to where it was snapped from In NCAA ball if the ball breaks the plane of the goal line and does not go out of the back of the end zone or out of bounds then the defense can return it.

Now is high school ball PAT attempts end when it is obvious that it not going over the crossbar and between the uprights

LH_DAD

Quote from: football_referee on October 20, 2018, 07:57:17 pm
72113 is spot on

Field goals as nothing but scrimmage kicks

In National Federation of Highschool Sports rules which Arkansas play by
a field goal attempt (scrimmage kick) if it breaks the plane of the goal line the ball is dead and barring any fouls the ball will be placed 1st and 10 at the 20 yard line

If the field goal attempt (scrimmage kick) does not break the plane then the non kicking team can field it and return it, fair catch it, let it hit the ground and roll dead and depending on the outcome of the action is where the ball is placed.

Its not like college ball if the field goal attempt is inside the 20 yard line and is missed it returns to the 20 yard line where the next snap is put into play

if the attempt is outside the 20 and is missed then it returns to where it was snapped from In NCAA ball if the ball breaks the plane of the goal line and does not go out of the back of the end zone or out of bounds then the defense can return it.

Now is high school ball PAT attempts end when it is obvious that it not going over the crossbar and between the uprights
Depends on where the ball ended up.  If it crossed the plane of the end zone it's a touchback.  If not, it's just like a punt.

Thank both of you for the response!

Gray lizard

This always comes up.  I think Dardanelle is the only school I have seen take advantage of the rule.  They set up for field goal on ever punt situation and either kick for the side line or the goal post.  With the kickers they seem to have year after year they have put a lot of points on the board when other teams punt.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Gray lizard on November 07, 2018, 12:06:08 pm
This always comes up.  I think Dardanelle is the only school I have seen take advantage of the rule.  They set up for field goal on ever punt situation and either kick for the side line or the goal post.  With the kickers they seem to have year after year they have put a lot of points on the board when other teams punt.
Rogers started doing it during the second half of the season.

Gray lizard

I wonder why more schools with good soccer programs do not take advantage of it.

AT

I saw Alma take advantage of this one game this year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas