• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What will High School Football look like in 10 years?

Started by Mulerider4Life, July 06, 2018, 11:29:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulerider4Life

Anyone have any thoughts? Faster game? Higher Scoring? Longer games?

tmycjy

what I think football will be like in ten years

I think football will be safer, I think more school could be running the ball more because flexbone is come back, I think game could more control but who know on this I also think u might have better defense play less no huttle offense kinda like what Alabama coach is talking about

x14113

There are many factors to consider to determine where football may stand in 10 years.

But I'll try to consider as many as I can.

These predictions will be made with the Natural State in mind.

Safety:
--Even if players in certain positions continue to get bigger, expect the visual frames (or "hitboxes," if you will) to gradually continue shrinking as pads become more efficient and kits cling ever closer to the players. This could extend to the helmets, as well, with continued refinements and facemasks that cover less area.
--One rule revision that could be considered is expanding the horse-collar rule to prohibit any tackles where the ball carrier is brought down by the jersey (or any other clothing or equipment.) I saw that kind of tackle several times last year, and I was on edge every time for fear of injury.
--Speaking of tackling, one bold prediction is that the tackling rules themselves will closely resemble those of rugby over time. Rugby-style tackles are already trending up, and codifying such techs in the rulebook will gradually gain widespread acceptance.

Participation:
--The key factor to future numbers will lie in how the public responds to the sport's efforts to improve long-term cranial health in its players. How the issues surrounding helmets are handled will play a part in this.
--Even if overall participation rebounds, however, current population shifts mean that it's becoming less likely for smaller public schools to start (at least 11-man) programs. The most likely sources for new programs will be from newer schools opening at the western edge of the state. One school to keep an eye in this regard: OCA in Tontitown, who has stated intentions of including football in its athletic program.
--8-man football should continue to gain traction in the face of declining numbers. If any of the smaller schools mentioned above wants to start a program, there's a very good chance it will be in this form.

Player Development:
--Expect the concept of vertical development (ie. extending development frameworks to teams below 7G) to continue expanding. Numerous small-school programs cite youth-league development as a source of their success, and now even larger-school programs are beginning to take notice.
--On the flipside, the value of running a JV schedule, especially from mid-size programs down, is looking to deflate. For all the memes being generated from it, Ozark has had a habit of truncating its JV schedule in midseason for quite a while now. Incidentally, it has been banking more on youth-league development during at least Jeremie Burns's tenure.

Offensive Trends
--I agree with tmycjy that the run will have renewed emphasis, but I expect it to come from a formation that's beginning to take hold at the collegiate level. The Diamond formation (not to be confused with the Diamond-T) combines concepts of the Pistol (in terms of QB position) and the Wishbone (three runners in the backfield). The benefits to a running game are obvious, but the implementation of split ends can make for an effective passing game.
--In terms of metagame trends, if there is a large awareness that widespread adoption of a given formation could prove counterproductive, you could instead witness an increasing diversification of offensive styles. This could stunt the prevalence of the above Diamond formation beyond potential early adopters, but it could also be affected by offensive coaches keeping an eye on...

Defensive Trends
--Expect Nickel-based defenses to gain traction as coaches learn how to use them against the run. The 4A-4 is already witnessing an early example, as Dardanelle uses a 4-2 Nickel base in a largely run-heavy league.

Classification Trends
--As the population shifts northwest, the upper-class conferences will continue concentrating their geography while the lower-class conferences will expand. For example, the 5A-West could include as many as three schools currently in the 4A-1.
--Wherever the western schools will compete will depend on their local economic situations. Clarksville is in danger of trending down after the impending closure of a major industry. Also trending down are Booneville and Waldron. Ozark has been largely steady, but is in position to start trending up in the face of the impending increase in available jobs in the area.
--Bold prediction: Football will eventually be subject to the same class system as every other sport.

friscokid

All the current 7A schools are in growing areas with the possible exception of NLR and LR Central, which are in no danger of dropping down.

So once SWLR gets up and running (bumping VB to 6A), 7A will be set for the forseeable future from 2020 on. The only thing that would change it is if a school splits, or if 2 or more schools combine (like the PB/WC rumor).

Below 7A, it's hard to guess movement because the enrollment ranges are so narrow, especially in 6A (about 900 to 1240). In 10 years I'm certain PB will be 5A, but beyond that it'll largely depend on who's got what in grades coming up. All the big 4As in NWA will be 5A for sure, and Morrilton and Blytheville will be 4A.

I expect Mayflower to take off eventually and Lonoke too, being so close to LR.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: friscokid on July 10, 2018, 11:31:16 pm
All the current 7A schools are in growing areas with the possible exception of NLR and LR Central, which are in no danger of dropping down.

So once SWLR gets up and running (bumping VB to 6A), 7A will be set for the forseeable future from 2020 on. The only thing that would change it is if a school splits, or if 2 or more schools combine (like the PB/WC rumor).

Below 7A, it's hard to guess movement because the enrollment ranges are so narrow, especially in 6A (about 900 to 1240). In 10 years I'm certain PB will be 5A, but beyond that it'll largely depend on who's got what in grades coming up. All the big 4As in NWA will be 5A for sure, and Morrilton and Blytheville will be 4A.

I expect Mayflower to take off eventually and Lonoke too, being so close to LR.

I think Maumelle could be 6A one day as well. Also wouldn't be surprised about Pine Bluff going down to 5A. That town needs a cleaning up.

Lions84

OB11

One of the biggest changes I think is coming to football is the end of Kickoffs. Safety has become the #1 priority in football and one of the most unsafe plays in football is the kickoff. You've got 11 bodies flying at each other with a head start to full speed. This doesn't really happen on any other play. With most plays from scrimmage, contact is made with in 5 yards.

Lions84

Mulerider4Life

R. A.™

x14113

Quote from: Lions84 on September 04, 2018, 02:53:26 pm
KO might be going away !

There is growing sentiment against kickoffs, as this shows.

I expect the HS level to lag a bit in this regard, if only because the shorter kicks can lead to more creative returns (see Dardanelle).

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: x14113 on September 05, 2018, 10:45:54 pm

There is growing sentiment against kickoffs, as this shows.

I expect the HS level to lag a bit in this regard, if only because the shorter kicks can lead to more creative returns (see Dardanelle).

There has to be a way a team can get an onside kick.

nuttinbuthogs

Serious issue is year round football and the exceptional amount of physical demands placed on football players.  Off season weight and conditioning programs are demanding a larger amount of student athletes time. That time factor and the physical demands are resulting in our seeing athletes move to sports where the more extreme physical demands of football are not present.  The work load and the heat that football players deal with is likely the most intense of any sport.  Being in the heat and strapped into helmets and padding which intensify the strain on the body cause athletes to opt out and go to a sport that is not as physically demanding.  To many it simply isn't worth it.  I like the move the AAA went to some years ago with the dead period and I think maybe we need to see that period extended.  Of course the biggest strain is evidenced in small school programs where there is a limited number of participants to begin with.  More 8 man football?  More constraints on time usage?  Issues are many solutions seem to be few.

beach bum

I will be something to see how many schools go 8 man in the next 10 to 15 years!

zebrafan

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on July 11, 2018, 07:51:53 am
I think Maumelle could be 6A one day as well. Also wouldn't be surprised about Pine Bluff going down to 5A. That town needs a cleaning up.
Very true, Go Foward Pine Bluff is slowly turning some things around...long ways to go yet.

friscokid

Quote from: beach bum on September 06, 2018, 06:54:07 pm
I will be something to see how many schools go 8 man in the next 10 to 15 years!

Potentially 8-man in Arkansas can be just as vibrant as it is in Kansas and Iowa and other states with similar population size. It's going to take a while, though. 11-man pride is hard to swallow at a bunch of schools, and a bunch of small basketball schools will be reluctant to take the plunge at first (more startup expenses than fear of diluting roundball success). Give it time, though, and it will take off.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: friscokid on September 08, 2018, 01:39:27 am
Potentially 8-man in Arkansas can be just as vibrant as it is in Kansas and Iowa and other states with similar population size. It's going to take a while, though. 11-man pride is hard to swallow at a bunch of schools, and a bunch of small basketball schools will be reluctant to take the plunge at first (more startup expenses than fear of diluting roundball success). Give it time, though, and it will take off.

I think you may even see some small schools that don't have football be able to start up a program for 8-man. Many schools are seeing more kids wanting to play sports.

sevenof400

It may be interesting (and telling) that this thread and the E Sports threads are in proximity to each other. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas