• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 CFB season

Started by LRRandy, July 27, 2017, 02:09:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 11, 2017, 08:48:14 pm
Got to love the Convicts tonight....

Wow, just wow. They top 4 is about to be shook up..... imo on Tuesday you will see (1)Clemson (2)Miami (3)Oklahoma (4) Alabama (5) Wisconsin .... That is if Alabama loses. They may actually have Wiscy at 4 maybe and Bama at 5, but I think they'll keep Bama in at 4 even with a loss.  If Alabama wins then keep them at (1) and bump everybody back 1 spot that I have here.

VHSCoach2

If Mississippi State holds on, I believe this will be the first time that #1, #2, and #3 have all lost on the same weekend.

sevenof400

That's better.  Someone other than Hurts can run the ball...

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on November 11, 2017, 08:55:24 pm
Wow, just wow. They top 4 is about to be shook up..... imo on Tuesday you will see (1)Clemson (2)Miami (3)Oklahoma (4) Alabama (5) Wisconsin .... That is if Alabama loses. They may actually have Wiscy at 4 maybe and Bama at 5, but I think they'll keep Bama in at 4 even with a loss.  If Alabama wins then keep them at (1) and bump everybody back 1 spot that I have here.
c'mon State. Bring the chaos! Dump Bama!  It's fun seeing someone compete with Bama.

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on November 11, 2017, 09:24:40 am
How about wins by Auburn and Miss. St. today. Wouldn't that be fun.

We're going to have to start taking your word a little more serious....

VHSCoach2

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on November 11, 2017, 08:56:53 pm
If Mississippi State holds on, I believe this will be the first time that #1, #2, and #3 have all lost on the same weekend.

I stand corrected. It happened in 1965.

LRRandy

VHSCoach2

sevenof400

Keith Jackson, if you please...

sevenof400

beach bum

That stinks... If Auburn plays a clean game in 2 weeks they can beat Alabama though.

LRRandy

I've enjoyed the last hour or so watching Miss. St. put a scare in Bama. Champions rise to the occasion.  Great effort Bulldogs. Good win for Bama. Fun night.

sevenof400

It's always fun when the Irish are exposed!

LRRandy

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 11, 2017, 10:05:13 pm
It's always fun when the Irish are exposed!
here, here. Growing up in Ohio with a catholic parish in every neighborhood I learned to cheer against the Irish at a young age. Was surrounded by Notre Dame fans.

sevenof400

Quote from: beach bum on November 11, 2017, 09:32:10 pm
That stinks... If Auburn plays a clean game in 2 weeks they can beat Alabama though.

Alabama needs some players back from the injured list - and soon - on the defensive side. 

A repeat of history is now very much a possibility - if Auburn was to win the Iron Bowl, Alabama would still be a strong favorite to make the CFP.  That brings the possibility of an Iron Bowl rematch on the National Championship game similar to the LSU - Alabama rematch of a few years ago for the NC. 

That would be an epic chapter in this rivalry. 

AirWarren

ITS ALL ABOUT THE U.....THE U......THE U.......ITS ALL ABOUT THE U!!!!!!!

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on November 12, 2017, 08:38:35 am
ITS ALL ABOUT THE U.....THE U......THE U.......ITS ALL ABOUT THE U!!!!!!!

I can not believe I now root for Miami... Mark Richt is a good guy that genuinely does things the right way. Got to like a coach like him. Never a bad word out of his mouth about other teams or his players personally. Got to love character like his.

Chief_Osceola™

You'd think whoever determines rankings, whether it be the coaches, AP, or whoever, would figure out one of these days that Norte Dame is never as good as people think. They got exposed in a big way last night. I'm just glad it happened now instead of in January.

WPWells

Revised playoff prediction (based on past results and future predictions):

1. Clemson (ACC Champion)
2. Georgia (defeats Auburn in SECCG)
3. Wisconsin (Big 10 Champion)
4. Miami (ACC Runner-Up to Clemson)

Longfellow

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on November 12, 2017, 05:37:48 pm
You'd think whoever determines rankings, whether it be the coaches, AP, or whoever, would figure out one of these days that Norte Dame is never as good as people think. They got exposed in a big way last night. I'm just glad it happened now instead of in January.
Well they're having a pretty good season for a school who was supposed to struggle to get to a bowl game

sevenof400

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on November 12, 2017, 05:37:48 pm

I like the last January exposure of the Frauding Irish....

sevenof400

Quote from: WPWells on November 12, 2017, 05:52:43 pm

How would you put Miami in over Alabama?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Longfellow on November 12, 2017, 06:52:48 pm
Well they're having a pretty good season for a school who was supposed to struggle to get to a bowl game

Who have they beaten??

Miami is not great - they are having a good year, yes, but they will get exposed either by Clemson or the first playoff game should they make it.  I have a conundrum though; I like Richt, but I hate Miami.

Truth be told, I think college football as a whole is down this year.

beach bum

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on November 12, 2017, 10:04:39 pm
Who have they beaten??

Miami is not great - they are having a good year, yes, but they will get exposed either by Clemson or the first playoff game should they make it.  I have a conundrum though; I like Richt, but I hate Miami.

Truth be told, I think college football as a whole is down this year.

There have been some analysts saying that this is the worst they have seen Alabama in a while... yet here they are sitting at 10-0.... I think they'll lose eventually. For their sake they better hope its before the playoffs and they get a bad performance out of the way. If they just lose by a narrow margin to Auburn or Georgia in the SEC title Bama is getting in still.

LRRandy

Quote from: WPWells on November 12, 2017, 05:52:43 pm

or......

Undefeated ACC champ Miami

Undefeated SEC champ Bama

One loss Big 12 champ Oklahoma

And

Two loss B1G champ Ohio State.

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin.

VHSCoach2

Here is the list of current bowl-eligible teams:

SEC: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri (9)
Big Ten: Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa (7)
Pac-12: Southern California, Arizona State, Arizona, Washington, Stanford, Oregon, Washington State (7)
Big 12: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Kansas State, West Virginia, Iowa State (7)
ACC: Clemson, Louisville, North Carolina State, Boston College, Wake Forest, Miami (FL), Virginia Tech, Virginia - 8
Independents: Notre Dame, Army (2)
AAC: South Florida, Central Florida, Houston, Memphis, Navy, Southern Methodist (6)
MWC: Colorado State, Boise State, Wyoming, Utah State, San Diego State, Fresno State (6)
MAC: Toledo, Western Michigan, Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, Ohio, Akron (6)
CUSA: Western Kentucky, Marshall, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Texas-San Antonio, Southern Mississippi, North Texas, Alabama-Birmingham - 8
SBC: Appalachian State, Arkansas State, Troy, Georgia State (4)

78 teams are needed to fill the bowl slots this season. 70 currently qualify. We may get a bowl season with no 5-7 teams!

LRRandy

Bama might just miss the playoff. Without a championship game to play and their best wins being middling LSU and Miss St the resume may hold them back even with only one loss.

beach bum

November 26, 2017, 11:44:14 am #178 Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:46:03 am by beach bum
Quote from: LRRandy on November 26, 2017, 11:35:49 am
Bama might just miss the playoff. Without a championship game to play and their best wins being middling LSU and Miss St the resume may hold them back even with only one loss.

I sadly believe they will back door their way into the playoff.... The odds of Clemson, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma all winning next week are statistically not likely. It can happen but just playing the odds is what I am saying because all they need is that one of the three to lose. They just need to be rooting for one of Miami, TCU, and Ohio State to pull a win. Alabama is getting in before Miami, Ohio State, and TCU sadly.

beach bum

Dan Mullen is leaving for Florida and Greg Schiano is headed to Knoxville.... Wonder who lands at Miss State now and who Arkansas gets in the coming weeks. Miss State will be good again next year, but this could hit them for the future.

bdubyab60

Think a lot of folks saw Mullen to FL coming. Schiano to Tenner is a surprise. Vol fans will not be with that hire. The Gruden stuff is a pipe dream, he doesn't want to coach anymore.

bdubyab60

Tenner fans about to riot. Schiano now backing out of the deal due to not liking the climate and reaction he is seeing. Congressman and reps getting involved as well. Can't say I blame them

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 26, 2017, 04:00:40 pm
Tenner fans about to riot. Schiano now backing out of the deal due to not liking the climate and reaction he is seeing. Congressman and reps getting involved as well. Can't say I blame them

Lol seriously?? I can't blame him for running for the hills away from the deal.

VHSCoach2

November 26, 2017, 04:19:56 pm #183 Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:29:53 pm by VHSCoach2
Here is an updated list of coaching openings/positions filled through the end of the regular season:

Nebraska:
Previous Coach - Mike Riley: Fired
New Coach - ???

Arkansas:
Previous Coach - Bret Bielema: Fired
New Coach - ???

UCLA:
Previous Coach - Jim Mora, Jr.: Fired
New Coach - Chip Kelly

Tennessee:
Previous Coach - Butch Jones: Fired
New Coach - ???

Florida:
Previous Coach - Jim McElwain: Fired
New Coach - Dan Mullen

Georgia Southern:
Previous Coach - Tyson Summers: Fired
New Coach - ???

Oregon State:
Previous Coach - Gary Andersen: Resigned
New Coach - Beau Baldwin

Texas-El Paso:
Previous Coach - Sean Kugler: Resigned
New Coach - ???

Ole Miss:
Previous Coach - Hugh Freeze: Fired
New Coach - Matt Luke (was interim coach for the 2017 season)

Texas A&M:
Previous Coach - Kevin Sumlin: Fired
Interim Coach - Jeff Banks
New Coach - ???

Arizona State:
Previous Coach: Todd Graham: Fired
Interim Coach - "Current coaches will coach the Bowl Game"
New Coach - ???

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on November 26, 2017, 04:07:58 pm
Lol seriously?? I can't blame him for running for the hills away from the deal.
Yeah I read the tweets from the rep. Really not the homerun hire they wanted and the fact he turned a blind eye to the Sandusky stuff at penn st

Romeo

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 26, 2017, 04:00:40 pm
Tenner fans about to riot. Schiano now backing out of the deal due to not liking the climate and reaction he is seeing. Congressman and reps getting involved as well. Can’t say I blame them

I've never seen so much fan backlash over a potential hire. There's no way the AD's going go forward hiring Schiano. This might cost him his job as well.

sevenof400

Quote from: LRRandy on November 26, 2017, 11:35:49 am

Well, I hate that it has come to this but even in my most ardent stance, I saw the toll injuries took on Alabama's defense.  And I have to say this is NOT one of the better versions of an offensive line - but then again, few lines of recent vintage will compare to the lines Alabama has had recently - Barrett Jones, Chance Warmack, and William Viachaos (and many more) were  road graders.  I don't think the current line can match that standard and that is why the running game is not as dominant as it once was. 

Now shockingly - I know - I am going to disagree with Randy to an extent here.  The committee has in the past looked hard at many factors - strength of schedule being one of them - but they have also looked at injuries as well.  Alabama's defense was wrecked with injuries this season and with some of those players due back for a bowl game or NCP game, the injury situation will likely be in Alabama's favor. 

Alabama's schedule had (what was thought to be) a NC contender in Florida State as their major OOC opponent but as we all know now, Florida State was not at that level this year.  The SEC West though still has TWO teams in the NC hunt, and Alabama is still only a 1 loss team (and that loss is to a very hot Auburn team).  So, here's the picture I am seeing at present:

Auburn vs Georgia:  winner goes to NC Playoff, loser is out
Miami vs Clemson: winner goes to the NC Playoff, loser is out
That definitely accounts for two spots in the playoffs.

Wisconsin and Oklahoma are both in with a win, and out with a loss. 

Alabama should be rated #5 this week in the CFP rankings, but as long as they are in a group with Georgia and Miami it really does not matter if they are 5, 6 or 7 (though I'd certainly feel better the higher they were ranked). 

If ONE of Wisconsin or Oklahoma loses, Alabama should be in.  Wisconsin's schedule was awful this year and that will haunt them if they lose to Ohio State.

So the question here becomes what if Ohio State beats Wisconsin, is that enough to overcome Alabama? 

Obviously, I am going to say no and I'm sure Randy is going to take the opposite point of view. 

A 2 loss Ohio State that would (in this scenario) be the Big 10 (,er 12) conference champions but with 2 losses (Iowa and Oklahoma) and the Iowa loss a real dagger to their resume. And the Big 10 really isn't doing THAT well - as a conference - overall this year either.  But, in Ohio State's favor, they would have played both Penn State and Wisconsin.  It is worth repeating the Big 10 has the same issue the SEC does this year with three teams significantly above the rest of the conference.     

I think it is fair to say the Ohio State loss to Oklahoma and the Alabama loss to Auburn pretty much cancel each other out. 

So Ohio State would have a conference championship BUT an extra loss - and a bad one at that.
Alabama would NOT have a conference championship but would have a better record. 
The conferences OVERALL are about the same (see above) but Alabama did NOT play Georgia this year (which does hurt).
Alabama has carried the #1 rating for most of the year. 

I still believe the case is better for Alabama to make it in over Ohio State, but I would not be shocked to see the opposite IF this scenario comes to pass.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Romeo on November 26, 2017, 04:31:32 pm
I've never seen so much fan backlash over a potential hire. There's no way the AD's going go forward hiring Schiano. This might cost him his job as well.
Crazy ain't it

Romeo

Goodness. I thought our situation was the biggest dumpster fire. Tennessee is backing out of the deal but had already signed a memorandum of understanding, so they'll probably owe Schiano some kind of money.

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on November 26, 2017, 07:46:28 pm
Goodness. I thought our situation was the biggest dumpster fire. Tennessee is backing out of the deal but had already signed a memorandum of understanding, so they'll probably owe Schiano some kind of money.

And be stuck with Lane Kiffin round 2  ;D

Romeo

That's what they might end up getting. This whole controversy with Schiano and Penn State is not really fair to him. Its based off deposition from Mike McQueary who claimed a former assistant coach told him that Schiano came to his office and saw Jerry Sandusky doing something to a boy in the shower. Its important to note that the prosecution dismissed that as unreliable hearsay. Schiano has never been charged or sued in that case. Tennessee fans are basically using that as an excuse. If Nick Saban was going to Tennessee with the same allegation, they would care less.

LRRandy

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 26, 2017, 04:43:11 pm
Well, I hate that it has come to this but even in my most ardent stance, I saw the toll injuries took on Alabama's defense.  And I have to say this is NOT one of the better versions of an offensive line - but then again, few lines of recent vintage will compare to the lines Alabama has had recently - Barrett Jones, Chance Warmack, and William Viachaos (and many more) were  road graders.  I don't think the current line can match that standard and that is why the running game is not as dominant as it once was. 

Now shockingly - I know - I am going to disagree with Randy to an extent here.  The committee has in the past looked hard at many factors - strength of schedule being one of them - but they have also looked at injuries as well.  Alabama's defense was wrecked with injuries this season and with some of those players due back for a bowl game or NCP game, the injury situation will likely be in Alabama's favor. 

Alabama's schedule had (what was thought to be) a NC contender in Florida State as their major OOC opponent but as we all know now, Florida State was not at that level this year.  The SEC West though still has TWO teams in the NC hunt, and Alabama is still only a 1 loss team (and that loss is to a very hot Auburn team).  So, here's the picture I am seeing at present:

Auburn vs Georgia:  winner goes to NC Playoff, loser is out
Miami vs Clemson: winner goes to the NC Playoff, loser is out
That definitely accounts for two spots in the playoffs.

Wisconsin and Oklahoma are both in with a win, and out with a loss. 

Alabama should be rated #5 this week in the CFP rankings, but as long as they are in a group with Georgia and Miami it really does not matter if they are 5, 6 or 7 (though I'd certainly feel better the higher they were ranked). 

If ONE of Wisconsin or Oklahoma loses, Alabama should be in.  Wisconsin's schedule was awful this year and that will haunt them if they lose to Ohio State.

So the question here becomes what if Ohio State beats Wisconsin, is that enough to overcome Alabama? 

Obviously, I am going to say no and I'm sure Randy is going to take the opposite point of view. 

A 2 loss Ohio State that would (in this scenario) be the Big 10 (,er 12) conference champions but with 2 losses (Iowa and Oklahoma) and the Iowa loss a real dagger to their resume. And the Big 10 really isn't doing THAT well - as a conference - overall this year either.  But, in Ohio State's favor, they would have played both Penn State and Wisconsin.  It is worth repeating the Big 10 has the same issue the SEC does this year with three teams significantly above the rest of the conference.     

I think it is fair to say the Ohio State loss to Oklahoma and the Alabama loss to Auburn pretty much cancel each other out. 

So Ohio State would have a conference championship BUT an extra loss - and a bad one at that.
Alabama would NOT have a conference championship but would have a better record. 
The conferences OVERALL are about the same (see above) but Alabama did NOT play Georgia this year (which does hurt).
Alabama has carried the #1 rating for most of the year. 

I still believe the case is better for Alabama to make it in over Ohio State, but I would not be shocked to see the opposite IF this scenario comes to pass.
I think if Georgia wins that will hurt Alabama. Alabama doesn't quite have the eye test it has had in years past. Ohio State will have better wins than Bama when they beat Wisconsin but the debacle at Iowa may be the death blow. I think a conference championship and wins over two top ten teams should get them in but that 2 in the loss column may in fact keep them out. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

My son and I were driving to Memphis to watch a high school basketball game while the Iron bowl was going on. We agreed that even though an undefeated Alabama presented a more direct path to the playoff for our Buckeyes we still found great joy in listening to Alabama lose. It brought such joy. One of the reasons I love college football.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: LRRandy on November 26, 2017, 09:29:34 pm
I think if Georgia wins that will hurt Alabama. Alabama doesn't quite have the eye test it has had in years past. Ohio State will have better wins than Bama when they beat Wisconsin but the debacle at Iowa may be the death blow. I think a conference championship and wins over two top ten teams should get them in but that 2 in the loss column may in fact keep them out. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

My son and I were driving to Memphis to watch a high school basketball game while the Iron bowl was going on. We agreed that even though an undefeated Alabama presented a more direct path to the playoff for our Buckeyes we still found great joy in listening to Alabama lose. It brought such joy. One of the reasons I love college football.

LRRandy

VHSCoach2

Jimbo Fisher is leaving Florida State and will be the new head coach at Texas A&M.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on December 01, 2017, 12:35:32 pm
Jimbo Fisher is leaving Florida State and will be the new head coach at Texas A&M.

Bye Felecia.

Willie Taggart, come on down!  Ready to jump on the Swag-gart train!

AirWarren

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on December 01, 2017, 01:16:37 pm
Bye Felecia.

Willie Taggart, come on down!  Ready to jump on the Swag-gart train!

The new king of Florida has been crowned. To original home.

The U.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: AirWarren on December 01, 2017, 01:55:11 pm

The U.

Bwahahahahaha!

Well, they are this year. If we get Taggart though, Richt better start trying to build a literal fence around South Florida. Willie's gonna be coming for those SoFla kids!

Really though, I'm happy for Richt. He's a good dude, and while I hate the Canes, I respect them. I just flat-out hate the gators.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: AirWarren on December 01, 2017, 01:55:11 pm

The UCF.

Fixed it for you.  :)

AirWarren

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on December 01, 2017, 01:58:50 pm
Bwahahahahaha!

Well, they are this year. If we get Taggart though, Richt better start trying to build a literal fence around South Florida. Willie's gonna be coming for those SoFla kids!

Really though, I'm happy for Richt. He's a good dude, and while I hate the Canes, I respect them. I just flat-out hate the gators.

There is Hogs, Gators, and Canes gear all through my home :D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas