• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will 6A Alma Airedales or Airedalettes ever have a high school soccer program?

Started by Go Postal, April 02, 2015, 09:05:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

When they were in the 5A, they had some great football and basketball programs.  Probably track and field also.  Maybe even baseball at one time.  They moved to the 6A.  No boys/girls soccer teams yet.  Still stuck in a rut, though I have heard that parents and athletes have wanted a soccer program.  But to the deaf ears of Airedales Athletic directors.  Hmm... Their local rivials 6A Van Buren, 7A FS Northside/Southside and "old 5A rivals, now 6A" Greenwood/Siloam Springs have soccer programs.  This I don't get.  All you have to have a soccer program is,
1.  Have athletes and fan wanting this program.  ;D
2.  Have a pitch that is wide enough for soccer.  The current football field in Alma is not wide enough. :(
3.  Get a Coach or Coaches to do both boys/girls programs. ;)
4.  The cost to the school of soccer uniforms and equipment is minimum compared to the cost for football, maybe even basketball. :)  Just have a pitch that is close to regulation for soccer.
5.  Join the rest of the State, even from smallest to largest schools on this Sport.  Remember that this is a Spring sport for high school.  Your school should be large enough to have enough athletes to play a one sport or multi sports. ;D

I've heard rumors that they might start to have club teams.  This is a start...

I love what Alma's done on their current Sport's programs, but I want to know more.  I know this forum is diffidently the wrong one to talk to Alma about soccer, but maybe other State All Sport's Fans can give more info on the Alma the "maybe" soccer program.

Thoughts?

BillyJack™

Lionheart88

Two points:
1)  Van Buren's 7A.
2)  Their field may not be extra-wide like most, but I really doubt it isn't wide enough.  The NFHS minimum width is 55 yards, just 5 feet wider than a football field.  Unless there's literally concrete at the out of bounds lines, they have room for a soccer field, if perhaps a somewhat narrow one.

I have no doubt they'll get soccer one day, it's just a matter of how long it takes them to get with the times.

AT

I would love to weigh in here GP, but I honestly have no clue. I've heard we are and we aren't and we are and we aren't.

It will probably just pop out of the blue one day. PFG seems to know a little more about it than me, he might know something.

AT

Go Postal

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 12, 2015, 12:54:23 pm
Here you go, GP:

http://swtimes.com/sports/football-alma-add-artificial-turf

Look closely at the picture of the expected design and the markings on the field...
Thank's trackster.  I see that.  I do like this quote in the article hinting about other sports...

"This just gives us an opportunity to have a all-weather year-round surface, not just for our football team but for our other sports and our band, for dance, for cheer, for ROTC," McSpadden said. "All of those have had performances and practices affected in the past because of weather conditions. This is something that's going to benefit not just our football team but lots of our students."

Go Postal

Another thing, trackster, I'm on the Alma bandwagon if they do decide to go with this other Spring sport.  The only thing that I might have saw, of concern, in the picture is if the soccer pitch (new football field) is wide enough as Lionheart88 said for this sport.  Though that hasn't stopped teams from playing on Shiloh Christian's "close to regulation" pitch/field.  LOL!  It just means that visiting teams have to compensate on passing more of the "short ball" than the "long ball". ;) I wish Alma the best of luck on this endeavor of maybe adding a new Spring sport to their curriculum.  Just remember that our other "old" 5A rivals (now 6A), Greenwood and Siloam Springs, have been playing this sport for awhile.  If and when Alma comes back to the 5A, it should be exciting to have them back with another sport.  Heck, I might have to save Steve Perry and BillyJack a seat. :o

P.F.G.

I think alma will add the programs in a year or two. Turf was the big news of 2015. I have "heard" that alma didn't want to bring in two new sports while in the 7A/6A central. Once we hit the 5A again we will debut the soccer program. Will be interesting and I'm glad they are offering other options for both boys and girls.

Go Postal

That is great news for Alma!  Not sure what the new cycles will be in soccer, but there could also be your "Old West" rivals Siloam Springs, Greenwood, Harrison, Vilonia, Morrilton and Greenbrier once again as in other sports from past years.  Plus some great newcomers.  Good Luck Airedales and Airedalettes on this venture!

Heck has officially frozen over!!!

sevenof400

young_gun

When I was a kid in Alma they said that opening the boys and girls club would lead to the forming of a soccer program in Alma. That's been like 15 years ago and still no soccer. Hopefully if they get enough support it will eventually happen.

Go Postal

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 11, 2015, 12:19:32 pm
For your consideration.....Steve Perry at a soccer match.....
Shoot I didn't think about SP at a soccer match...

LOL! Steve always has more souvenirs for the crowd.

Though I know that you and I will be sitting by SP, Almatrackster and BillyJack to explain soccer rules to them even if their teams are winning.  LOL!

Go Postal

Quote from: P.F.G. on May 07, 2015, 11:56:59 pm
I think alma will add the programs in a year or two. Turf was the big news of 2015. I have "heard" that alma didn't want to bring in two new sports while in the 7A/6A central. Once we hit the 5A again we will debut the soccer program. Will be interesting and I'm glad they are offering other options for both boys and girls.
Quote from: young_gun on May 11, 2015, 01:20:09 pm
When I was a kid in Alma they said that opening the boys and girls club would lead to the forming of a soccer program in Alma. That's been like 15 years ago and still no soccer. Hopefully if they get enough support it will eventually happen.
Alma, Club is good, get some great experience, but high school soccer is what you can get State Championships for your town. ;)  Hope that the new Alma school boards understands this.  Another form of revenue.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas