• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pulaski Academy

Started by PA Dad, August 12, 2015, 10:28:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

August 18, 2015, 10:20:25 pm #100 Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:30:49 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: The King on August 18, 2015, 10:01:56 pm
No one is jealous of a team that plays by a different set of rules... give every school that same money and see if Pulaski Academy still wins.

That's why Harvard is such a football power.  They have, by far, the largest endowment, (more money), than any university in the nation.  That proves your point!

Oh, by the way, the amount of money a school has is irrelevant to the rules the school has to follow.  Even a rich school plays by the same rules a poor school does.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on August 18, 2015, 04:32:33 pm
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 18, 2015, 03:21:50 pm
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 18, 2015, 03:20:47 pm
Ben Sessions, All Ivy League at Harvard
Stefan Loucks @ Texas Tech for two seasons
Spencer Keith QB @ Kent State, all time leading passer in several categories at KSU
Adam Thrash, couple of seasons @ Alabama
Parker Mack one season at Princeton
Trevor Gillott, WR at Ark State
So yes there have been some standouts at PA over the years.

Sure wish Spencer would've stayed at Stuttgart!  :)
When was he there? He grew up at PA?

Spencer's family moved to LR from Stuttgart when he was in 6th grade.  His 2 older brothers were players for the Ricebirds.  He was the QB for the '08 state championship team at PA and went to Kent State where he was a 4 year starter (he may not have started the very early games in freshman year).  His last year @ Kent, the team played their first bowl game in about 40 years against Arkansas State in the Go Daddy Bowl in '13, I think.

SUGARTOWN

August 19, 2015, 03:57:28 pm #102 Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:01:01 pm by SUGARTOWN
Spencer Keith QB @ Kent State, all time leading passer in several categories at KSU

Born and raised in Stuttgart moved to LR around Jr. High age, 7th grade, if memory serves. As Maynard noted, both of his brothers played at Stuttgart and were also QB's. I believe Josh Keith is still coaching with Bobby Bolding at PB.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 19, 2015, 03:57:28 pm

Born and raised in Stuttgart moved to LR around Jr. High age, 7th grade, if memory serves. As Maynard noted, both of his brothers played at Stuttgart and were also QB's. I believe Josh Keith is still coaching with Bobby Bolding at PB.
I didn't know that. Thank you. From all accounts, he was a great student too.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 19, 2015, 03:57:28 pm

Josh has left coaching and is working in the Jonesboro area now.  He did coach in PB with Bolding for at least a couple of seasons.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: PA Dad on August 18, 2015, 09:27:21 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on August 18, 2015, 09:17:38 pm
Did PA win 4 championships in 5A? I was under the impression they have only done it a couple of times. But no, it wouldn't work against the better 7A schools, which is why PA doesn't play them. (I know, I know, they won't schedule PA because they're so scared...we all have heard that one)

Last post about PA until the season kicks off...it's getting too tiresome and it's just silly that PA supporters can't admit the advantages they have (before PA gets upset, I'm in no way referencing recruiting). Again, good luck this season!

I think you are correct and I'm wrong.  One of the championships was 4A.

And I have admitted that PA has advantages.  That's why they play in 5A instead of 3A.

2003- 3A
2008- 5A
2011- 4A
2014- 5A

PA Dad

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on August 21, 2015, 01:09:37 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on August 18, 2015, 09:27:21 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on August 18, 2015, 09:17:38 pm
Did PA win 4 championships in 5A? I was under the impression they have only done it a couple of times. But no, it wouldn't work against the better 7A schools, which is why PA doesn't play them. (I know, I know, they won't schedule PA because they're so scared...we all have heard that one)

Last post about PA until the season kicks off...it's getting too tiresome and it's just silly that PA supporters can't admit the advantages they have (before PA gets upset, I'm in no way referencing recruiting). Again, good luck this season!

I think you are correct and I'm wrong.  One of the championships was 4A.

And I have admitted that PA has advantages.  That's why they play in 5A instead of 3A.

2003- 3A
2008- 5A
2011- 4A
2014- 5A

Thanks.  I figured one of the old timers would know.

Maynard G Krebs

PoV is old??????????

He just started shaving a few months after he married  ; )

HorseFeathers

Don't have to be old to remember dover and Atkins folks whining about being in the 5-3a with p.a and c.a.c

PA Dad

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 21, 2015, 06:01:31 pm
PoV is old??????????

He just started shaving a few months after he married  ; )

He is old compared to me in time on this forum.  I suspect I am far older in terms of age.

Lanny

Overdahill

Anybody at Blue and Gold night? How'd the numbers and "face test" look?

PA Dad

Quote from: Overdahill on August 22, 2015, 10:53:30 am
Anybody at Blue and Gold night? How'd the numbers and "face test" look?

I was there.  60 players.  I don't know what the "face test" is.

Overdahill

Thanks! Its kind of like a first reaction when a team gets off the bus. Is it a "wow, this is our year" or people hanging over the railing in tears or somewhere in between. It may not mean much but there is generally a first reaction to seeing a team all assembled and dressed out the first time

PA Dad

August 22, 2015, 03:24:38 pm #114 Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 04:13:05 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: Overdahill on August 22, 2015, 02:59:00 pm
Thanks! Its kind of like a first reaction when a team gets off the bus. Is it a "wow, this is our year" or people hanging over the railing in tears or somewhere in between. It may not mean much but there is generally a first reaction to seeing a team all assembled and dressed out the first time

My first reaction was that they better be fast and disciplined because they look small.  I'd guess that Robert Ator is the largest guy on the team and he's about 230 pounds.  (I just looked at the roster and I'm wrong. We have 3-4 lineman listed at 250-280.  All I can say is that they don't look that big)

I don't think PA will be trying to run the ball down anyone's throat.

On the other hand they have guys who look very athletic.  Every team is different.  I think this team will rely on speed, athleticism, and discipline to win.

Overdahill

Thanks again. That formula has worked well b4

PA Dad

Quote from: Overdahill on August 22, 2015, 03:39:22 pm
Thanks again. That formula has worked well b4

I agree.  PA rarely has a size advantage.

I'll be real interested to see R. J. Anderson play.  He is a sophomore running back.  I have not seen him play but those who have are very high on him.

mijally

I'm interested to see him too. If he's as good as advertised it could really benefit your QB. They must have been really good last year as freshmen to be playing significant roles as sophomores.

Overdahill

Saw him at the Bryant scrimmage earlier tonight. Moves really well. is gonna be a nice contributor at receiver and/or RB

Maynard G Krebs

Liked what I saw tonight in scrimmage

mijally

Nice article in Sync magazine section of Ar Dem today on a couple of PA alums.

Grond

August 26, 2015, 10:37:18 pm #121 Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:05:05 pm by Grond
There seems to be a lot less 'intensity' in this thread, so pardon me why I wax philosophical for a bit.  ::)

I am greatly bothered by the premise that, "Pulaski Academy wins, therefore they must have unusual talent." I grant that PA draws some high talent, because they have a good football program/school. But I contend that PA had the same talent level as other winning 5A programs in the state.  >:(

Many people jump to the conclusion that, to win, a football team MUST have special talent. We can't give credit to developing team skills, or adherence to tactics, or holding players accountable to their responsibilities. :-X

You see, the "school I am associated with" went 4 -6 last year, and that is the best record we have had in the past five years. What is funny is that we have done the "go for it on 4th down", and the "onside kick all the time". And if you don't have a well coached team, that stuff doesn't really help. :'(

I have to BELIEVE that we have a chance to get better. I have to BELIEVE the Pulaski Academy and Batesville are successful because they make EVERYONE ON THEIR TEAMS BETTER, not just because they have some pre-college studs. Because maybe if we follow a similar procedure of coaching, then Paragould can have a more successful football experience. ;D

If you only throw the ball to one receiver, you are not going to win. If you only give the ball to one running back, you aren't going to win. If you have a 30-man roster, and only play 16 guys, you are not going to win. I refuse to believe that we must dress out 50 players or more to win.

I'm sorry, but in life, you must compete with what you have. If standard methods aren't working, you must experiment with new (or forgotten) techniques. Try changing the snap count. Rethink the way you are running screens. Allow the QB to call audibles. Try defensive line stunts that keep blockers off linebackers. Don't run the same defense the whole game.

Teach young men that their greatest strength is to work together, so they can learn to depend on each other.  ;)

NOTE: "Win" means 5+ wins, a winning season. Paragould has not had a winning season in over 10 years.

PA Dad

Quote from: Grond on August 26, 2015, 10:37:18 pm
There seems to be a lot less 'intensity' in this thread, so pardon me why I wax philosophical for a bit.  ::)

I am greatly bothered by the premise that, "Pulaski Academy wins, therefore they must have unusual talent." I grant that PA draws some high talent, because they have a good football program/school. But I contend that PA had the same talent level as other winning 5A programs in the state.  >:(

Many people jump to the conclusion that, to win, a football team MUST have special talent. We can't give credit to developing team skills, or adherence to tactics, or holding players accountable to their responsibilities. :-X

You see, the "school I am associated with" went 4 -6 last year, and that is the best record we have had in the past five years. What is funny is that we have done the "go for it on 4th down", and the "onside kick all the time". And if you don't have a well coached team, that stuff doesn't really help. :'(

I have to BELIEVE that we have a chance to get better. I have to BELIEVE the Pulaski Academy and Batesville are successful because they make EVERYONE ON THEIR TEAMS BETTER, not just because they have some pre-college studs. Because maybe if we follow a similar procedure of coaching, then Paragould can have a more successful football experience. ;D

If you only throw the ball to one receiver, you are not going to win. If you only give the ball to one running back, you aren't going to win. If you have a 30-man roster, and only play 16 guys, you are not going to win. I refuse to believe that we must dress out 50 players or more to win.

I'm sorry, but in life, you must compete with what you have. If standard methods aren't working, you must experiment with new (or forgotten) techniques. Try changing the snap count. Rethink the way you are running screens. Allow the QB to call audibles. Try defensive line stunts that keep blockers off linebackers. Don't run the same defense the whole game.

Teach young men that their greatest strength is to work together, so they can learn to depend on each other.  ;)

Good post.  Good thoughts.

I agree that talent and schemes, while important, are not the keys to winning.  It is instilling a belief in the kids that they can win.  It is building confidence.  Good coaches do that.  Losing programs don't have that.

HeberFan

The best athletes usually win... per the Kentucky men's basketball team

mijally

It's always talent. Athletic talent, skill talent or both. Working hard and perfecting something is skill talent and PA does that well. Throw in the athletes and you have success. Add experience and win a championship.

PA Dad

August 28, 2015, 09:00:51 pm #125 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:36:00 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: mijally on August 28, 2015, 05:33:32 pm
It's always talent. Athletic talent, skill talent or both. Working hard and perfecting something is skill talent and PA does that well. Throw in the athletes and you have success. Add experience and win a championship.

Talent is no doubt very important.  But talent doesn't always win.  Do you think the 1980 U.S. Hockey team was more talented than the Russians?  No way, but the U.S. won.

Batesville supporters claim that PA always has more talent than Batesville.  (That is doubtful this year because Batesville appears to be loaded with talent).  Assuming that's true, are you saying Batesville will never win a state championship?

There are more factors in play than just talent.  I think it was Darrell Royal who said of Bear Bryant that "he can take his'n and beat you'n or he can take you'n and beat his'n."  That's an acknowledgment by a great coach that there is much more involved in winning than talent.

Intelligentsia

Batesville simply does not have the two or three exceptional (D-1) talent that P.A. can access and place with a well coached supporting cast.. In 5-A, If you have a D1 quarterback and running back or tight-end/receiver, with just a well coached supporting cast, you have enough talent to dominate most teams.  P.A. does have access to more high level talent, a fact proven by recent history.  Batesville has fair talent who work hard and are well coached.  Coach Kelly has his gimmicks that the team has bought into, which is supported most years by key current or perspective D1 talent.  Coach Kings calling card, which his teams buy into is developing a strong O-Line and rotating fresh running backs every play.  He handily beat a very talented P.A. team a couple of years quite handily a couple years ago with that combination, featuring a team that, as far as I can recall, did not have a single NCAA recruited player.  As far as this year, the Pioneers may well be a year away from a really good team, considering the number of Juniors starting this year, not to say they won't be pretty salty by playoff time.   

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 28, 2015, 11:09:15 pm
Batesville simply does not have the two or three exceptional (D-1) talent that P.A. can access and place with a well coached supporting cast.. In 5-A, If you have a D1 quarterback and running back or tight-end/receiver, with just a well coached supporting cast, you have enough talent to dominate most teams.  P.A. does have access to more high level talent, a fact proven by recent history.  Batesville has fair talent who work hard and are well coached.  Coach Kelly has his gimmicks that the team has bought into, which is supported most years by key current or perspective D1 talent.  Coach Kings calling card, which his teams buy into is developing a strong O-Line and rotating fresh running backs every play.  He handily beat a very talented P.A. team a couple of years quite handily a couple years ago with that combination, featuring a team that, as far as I can recall, did not have a single NCAA recruited player.  As far as this year, the Pioneers may well be a year away from a really good team, considering the number of Juniors starting this year, not to say they won't be pretty salty by playoff time.

I cited Batesville specifically because I think the team is well coached and I think Batesville will win a state championship because of the coaching and the belief of the players in the system.  We can debate forever whether PA or Batesville had the most talent 2 years ago but I don't think anyone would claim that either team was poorly coached or that either team didn't believe in the scheme of the coaches.

I hope you didn't think I was being disrespectful to Batesville.  The opposite is true.  I have great respect for Batesville.  I also have great respect for Batesville fans on this forum.  They are very good posters and are respectful of others.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 28, 2015, 11:09:15 pm

I would add that Batesville's success proves my point.  Batesville has had great success without great  talent.  So, something other than talent must be at play.

PA Dad

Quote from: Grond on August 26, 2015, 10:37:18 pm

NOTE: "Win" means 5+ wins, a winning season. Paragould has not had a winning season in over 10 years.

Good thoughts.  I greatly admire your posts.  That are always thoughtful and well reasoned.  Keep em  coming.

Intelligentsia

No, PADad, I didn't take offense to your comment.  Concerning the level of talent of P.A. and the next top 3 or four teams in 5-A: Looking at the 22 starters each night (regardless if the play both ways) the top 5 - 8 players at P.A. are more, and most of the past several years, much more talented than the top 5 players from the other teams.  The next dozen players, are pretty much even, and P.A. is probably not as talented at the bottom 5 players.  Given that, maybe it comes out pretty even most years.  No doubt, the teams that find thselves at the top, do so mostly by developing players, but it's certainly an advantage when you have two or three DI skill players on your team.

Grond

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 29, 2015, 12:15:59 am
No, PADad, I didn't take offense to your comment.  Concerning the level of talent of P.A. and the next top 3 or four teams in 5-A: Looking at the 22 starters each night (regardless if the play both ways) the top 5 - 8 players at P.A. are more, and most of the past several years, much more talented than the top 5 players from the other teams.  The next dozen players, are pretty much even, and P.A. is probably not as talented at the bottom 5 players.  Given that, maybe it comes out pretty even most years.  No doubt, the teams that find thselves at the top, do so mostly by developing players, but it's certainly an advantage when you have two or three DI skill players on your team.
So, if Wynne had BEAT Pulaski Academy last year, would you still be making these comments?

Because if Wynne had rushed 4 d-linemen in the first half, and/or committed to their running game, the game would have been VERY different.

GuvHog

Quote from: PA Dad on August 18, 2015, 10:20:25 pm
No one is jealous of a team that plays by a different set of rules... give every school that same money and see if Pulaski Academy still wins.

That's why Harvard is such a football power.  They have, by far, the largest endowment, (more money), than any university in the nation.  That proves your point!

Oh, by the way, the amount of money a school has is irrelevant to the rules the school has to follow.  Even a rich school plays by the same rules a poor school does.

Some schools have a lot of money but they spend far more of it on academics rather than the athletic department. Harvard is very likely one of those.

PA Dad

Quote from: GuvHog on August 29, 2015, 12:11:29 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on August 18, 2015, 10:20:25 pm

Some schools have a lot of money but they spend far more of it on academics rather than the athletic department. Harvard is very likely one of those.

You are correct.  I don't claim to be in the know regarding PA finances but I'm fairly certain no endowment money goes to athletics.  I'm sure the same is true for Harvard.

But my point is still valid.  The amount of money a school has is irrelevant unless that money goes to athletics.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Grond on August 29, 2015, 11:50:30 am
So, if Wynne had BEAT Pulaski Academy last year, would you still be making these comments?

Because if Wynne had rushed 4 d-linemen in the first half, and/or committed to their running game, the game would have been VERY different.

I don't follow you on the result of the Wynne / P.A. game last year.  I don't know that would change my assessment of the level of talent P.A. is able to field at the skilled positions.  We may well have had the best QB I've seen at Batesville last year and I'm not aware that he was even recruited at that position.  He is a fine athele, and I'm pretty sure he will play baseball in a Jr. College out of state next year.   

Grond

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 29, 2015, 05:59:16 pm
Quote from: Grond on August 29, 2015, 11:50:30 am
No, PADad, I didn't take offense to your comment.  Concerning the level of talent of P.A. and the next top 3 or four teams in 5-A: Looking at the 22 starters each night (regardless if the play both ways) the top 5 - 8 players at P.A. are more, and most of the past several years, much more talented than the top 5 players from the other teams.  The next dozen players, are pretty much even, and P.A. is probably not as talented at the bottom 5 players.  Given that, maybe it comes out pretty even most years.  No doubt, the teams that find themselves at the top, do so mostly by developing players, but it's certainly an advantage when you have two or three DI skill players on your team.

I don't follow you on the result of the Wynne / P.A. game last year.  I don't know that would change my assessment of the level of talent P.A. is able to field at the skilled positions.  We may well have had the best QB I've seen at Batesville last year and I'm not aware that he was even recruited at that position.  He is a fine athlete, and I'm pretty sure he will play baseball in a Jr. College out of state next year.   

My analysis of PA is based on one game: The Final against Wynne. So, I have to admit a rather limited sampling. In that game, the PA QB was excellent; easy to see him (and the Wynne QB) going D1.

If anything, I thought Wynne had the physical advantage. Having spent last summer with my son at a lot of D2 college football camps, Pulaski Academy just does not meet MY eye test as a team "loaded" with talent. Is PA loaded with discipline? Yes. Loaded with smarts? Yes.

But if you look over the football rosters for colleges in the state of Arkansas, you are just as likely to find players from Wynne and Warren as to find PA players.

Now, regarding Batesville. I am not very knowledgeable on the history of Batesville QB's, but last year's QB did not strike me as college material. Granted, he had a bad game against Paragould. But he just did not seem to have the 'zip' and accuracy of high end QB's.

Batesville has one of the top 5 football programs in Arkansas. Maybe someday we can get some D2 teams to hold camps at Batesville. [Sadly, Harding University (D2 college in Searcy) doesn't seem very interested in Batesville.]

MDXPHD

It appears that Highland Park has one returning starter from last year, is ranked 200th(ish) in texas alone, and isn't even ranked in the top 25 in 6A Texas football. I'm not sure what a win against HP will be worth, but I don't think it would be much. And a loss would be much more embarrassing this season.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 29, 2015, 09:44:29 pm
It appears that Highland Park has one returning starter from last year, is ranked 200th(ish) in texas alone, and isn't even ranked in the top 25 in 6A Texas football. I'm not sure what a win against HP will be worth, but I don't think it would be much. And a loss would be much more embarrassing this season.

Probably about the same as a loss to WC.  After all, I'm sure WC could beat Highland Park.

MDXPHD

August 29, 2015, 09:53:17 pm #138 Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:02:22 pm by MDXPHD
Quote from: PA Dad on August 29, 2015, 09:48:02 pm

Probably about the same as a loss to WC.  After all, I'm sure WC could beat Highland Park.

This year, I'm not sure who would win that game. Y'all have HP hyped up like it's a quality game, which it isn't.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 29, 2015, 09:53:17 pm

This year, I'm not sure who would win that game. Y'all have HP hyped up like it's a quality game, which it isn't.

Actually I haven't hyped the game at all.  I've predicted a 14 point win for PA.

I don't know where you've been but I've missed that acerbic tongue.  Welcome back!

MDXPHD

HP did win by two tonight though, which is just 45 less than they beat this team last year. Tonights score was 28-26, last year was a 47-0 victory. Needless to say, there was a massive drop-off in talent and experience from 2014 to 2015.

I know I've been missed, but sometimes it's just much more fun to read. I needed to get on here tonight just to make sure people who read this know that HP isn't very good. I don't want PA to get more credit than they deserve if they win next week.  ;D

PA Dad

By the way, will PA v. Wynne be a quality game?  I'm just trying to figure out how you determine which games qualify as "quality games."

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 29, 2015, 10:03:47 pm
HP did win by two tonight though, which is just 45 less than they beat this team last year. Tonights score was 28-26, last year was a 47-0 victory. Needless to say, there was a massive drop-off in talent and experience from 2014 to 2015.

I know I've been missed, but sometimes it's just much more fun to read. I needed to get on here tonight just to make sure people who read this know that HP isn't very good. I don't want PA to get more credit than they deserve if they win next week.  ;D

I know I can count on you to make sure PA never gets too much credit!

I've always enjoyed reading your posts.  You have a dry wit that I like.  I understand that you don't like PA, but that doesn't mean that you have to dislike PA fans.  I'm really not a bad guy!

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on August 29, 2015, 10:04:07 pm

By the way, will PA v. Wynne be a quality game?  I'm just trying to figure out how you determine which games qualify as "quality games."

Ehh, maybe so. The second place team from the East might be considered a quality team, but it's close. They have only won their conference once in the last 7 years I think, so it's debatable.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on August 29, 2015, 10:08:52 pm

I've always enjoyed reading your posts.  You have a dry wit that I like.  I understand that you don't like PA, but that doesn't mean that you have to dislike PA fans.  I'm really not a bad guy!

Oh I don't dislike you at all. You support your team, can't fault you for that. Of course you will have a bias and defend them any chance you get. I definitely dislike PA though ha.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 29, 2015, 10:09:33 pm

Ehh, maybe so. The second place team from the East might be considered a quality team, but it's close. They have only won their conference once in the last 7 years I think, so it's debatable.

Well, will Wynne v. Batesville qualify?  If not, please identify the quality games coming up in 5A.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 29, 2015, 10:12:12 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on August 29, 2015, 10:08:52 pm

Oh I don't dislike you at all. You support your team, can't fault you for that. Of course you will have a bias and defend them any chance you get. I definitely dislike PA though ha.

I certainly support PA although I've admitted that PA has been wrong.  I admit I am biased but that should be true of any fan.  And I note that you have not been shy about supporting Batesville, as you should.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on August 29, 2015, 10:12:22 pm

Well, will Wynne v. Batesville qualify?  If not, please identify the quality games coming up in 5A.

Wynne vs PA and Wynne vs Batesville will both be high quality games for 5a. I just like to take a shot at Wynne if I get the chance.

There will be plenty of good quality games when conference starts, other than the Central conference and the majority of the East games.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 29, 2015, 10:25:32 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on August 29, 2015, 10:12:22 pm

Wynne vs PA and Wynne vs Batesville will both be high quality games for 5a. I just like to take a shot at Wynne if I get the chance.

There will be plenty of good quality games when conference starts, other than the Central conference and the majority of the East games.

I'm a little surprised that you take a shot at the East.

I've always conceded that the Central is weak.  Maybe Beebe and/or Sylvan Hills will change that this year.  The West will probably be the most interesting this year.  The South may provide some entertainment too.  The Central and East will probably be the most boring.  In the East the question will be, as it always is, Batesville or Wynne?

Intelligentsia

I think that Valley View has a good chance to be a consistent contender.  They are very competitive and committed to their sports programs.  They are close enough to a fairly populated area to attract families who want their children to participate in a competitive football program other than Jonesboro, and they have some of the best academic scores in the state.

Otherwise you will only occasionally see good a team from Blytheville, Forrest City and Nettleton.  All that can change, however.  Batesville wandered in the desert for some years before Coach King arrived and reestablished a winning program.  Any of our 5-A East schools could do the same with the a coach that had vision, charisma, a solid plan and the backing of the administration and community.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas