• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

School Student Section Spirit or No Spirit

Started by Go Postal, January 07, 2016, 08:52:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

Rant on...
I will start out by saying that I am not a Harrison alumni, not a student's parent/grandparent nor a Harrison school staff member.  I don't work for any Harrison's city businesses or media services or Boone county services.  But what I have become over the 27 years of living at Harrison, is a GOBLIN fan.  I have seen the tradition, school spirit and athleticism of the Harrison Sports programs during those years.  These are some of the reasons that I still attend different Harrison sports events though I don't have too.

I have noticed that sometimes not all seats are full with older Harrison folk/fans.
I ask some of them, "Why don't you attend some of the games?", their normal response is usually, "I don't have a kid playing anymore".
That's okay but I usually shame that old Harrison folk by saying, "I don't either, but I still go as a Goblin fan....and I grew up in Mtn Home as a rival!"

Harrison's Student section was one of the best active student sections in the State and non-Goblin fans use to come to the Spook House just to see what they would do.  But what I don't understand is why the Student section is not as full as it use to be.  Could it be the Goblin spirit (or any school's spirit) has been dampened by someone's interpretation of the AAA sportsmanship rule?

I was impressed during the Russellville@Harrison game of the Cyclone's athletes on the bench chanting/cheering their team on.  What I didn't like is how Harrison's Student Section now has to sit like a "wart on a toad's backside" during the game.  I didn't see anyone upset at the sportmanship/spirit of the Russellville team.  I applauded them.

I go to a game to see the athletic talent of both teams and especially to see the School Spirit of the student section and fans.  I would hate to see it dry up.  I do agree that there should be rules on sportsmanship and followed as long as they don't effect the game.  Let's make it exciting to go to a home game to watch your team and the School's Spirit.  More fan attendance, more school revenue.
                                          ...Rant off and GO GOBS!

Here is the link to the 2015-2016 AAA handbook and Sportsmanship rules start at page 113.

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Admin/2015-16_AAA_Handbook.pdf

What is other 5A or other fans opinion of school student section's spirit?  Your comments are welcomed, but let's keep it clean and don't mention any school administrator, Coach or athlete by name.  Just your point of view on what you think how far school spirit should go.

Missco

I think it all depends on the school and their administration. Some administrator's still have common sense and understand the scope of things. Some take the fun out of it for their students. Around here things are probably more liberal at most schools as far as student sections.

Go Postal

January 07, 2016, 11:16:50 pm #2 Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:21:24 pm by Go Postal
For those who have never been to Harrison's Spook House and witnessed some of the School Spirit and student antics of seasons past.  Here are the following for your consideration...

Christmas reindeer run video...

Moses at the Spook House...

Moses parting the red sea at the Spook House video...

Then we were told to calm it down some.  Hence the "Choir Boys" skit singing the "Wheels on the Bus goes round and round"...

But even that was too much.  They can't do nothing now.  I'm sorry, but I miss those days.  Student and fan attendance has seemed less at recent games.  But rules are rules.

Missco

How are those kids breaking any rules. I though those videos were great. That is what high school athletics is about

Jock

Personally I'm all for a lively student section. It especially makes road games fun even when the crowd is overwhelmingly cheering for the other team, as all good homers should. I have seen the bad side too, when my own kids are out there on the court being taunted and called awful names that I can't write here. I've been able to make a lesson of it, to teach that life will be full of idiots, you have to be the better person, overcome it with class and endure. That's how you win in life.

Now I believe last year (I could wrong here, this is just what I've been told) that some folks from Vilonia complained to the AAA regarding more than one school's student section going too far. And from there, administrators came down hard on the student fans at 5A schools in particular. In my opinion, perhaps came down too hard.

So I hope this year we can find a good balance, where students and fans can be loud and proud, but personal insults, etc. are not tolerated. At any school.

Cajun Hog

The 5A west AD's have added so many rules about the student section that it's not fun for them anymore. You (students) can't do this and can't bring props and the cost for students to get into game is $5 in 5A west., that's nuts to have kids pay more them $1 to get in. #rantover

Gob-Fan

Craig Enloe wrote a great article in the HDT today called "What happened to Moses?". If I knew how to post it on here I would. He calls out the students, the administration, and Vilonia. Love it.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: Gob-Fan on January 08, 2016, 10:04:58 am
Craig Enloe wrote a great article in the HDT today called "What happened to Moses?". If I knew how to post it on here I would. He calls out the students, the administration, and Vilonia. Love it.

Here is his editorial.

http://harrisondaily.com/sports/column-what-happened-to-moses/article_e73e0ff2-b626-11e5-b3ea-4f65727d83d1.html

Arklahoma Preps

I cover a lot of games in both Arkie and Okla. I see a noticeable difference in the size, loudness and just rowdiness of the student sections in OK compared to AR. It has to be cause of the(IMO) overly strict AAA "crowd sportsmanship" rules. It really takes away from the whole game day experience. That's part of what makes prep ports so dang fun and cool. I just hope that they will one day ease up on their strict guidelines and let each school police themselves.

vhsladyeagles

As Vilonia seems to be pointed out as the bad guy here, let me just say I have no problem with a student section dressing up, having fun, yelling and screaming about the game,yelling "air ball" (which for some reason now seems to be against the rules - don't understand that one), holding up newspapers while the opposing team is introduced, etc.   However what I did have a problem with was the Harrison student section and any other student section, that cussed the girls and called  them  a "b***h, and a wh**e, and yelling at one of them during the game that they would find her after the game and f*** her brains out (and yes, that is an exact quote that was told to one of the girls a few years ago while she was on the baseline down by the student section when a timeout was called.)    So, for those comments, I had a problem with the student section at Harrison and thought that the administration should have punished the particular students doing those things but not the entire student section.  I think any parent would agree that their daughter shouldn't be subjected to that type of treatment as a 15 year old trying to play basketball. But the other stuff the student section did, like dressing up,etc.,  I thought was great and was enjoyable for me as the visitor to watch.  Also, I will agree with the other comment that it is ridiculous that we charge $5 for a student to get in the game.  We should be encouraging the kids to support their school and that is way too much to charge. 

VHSCoach2

I have never seen the Harrison student section in person, so I will hold judgment on that portion of the commentary.  I will, however, address the $5 charge to get into games.  Having run the ticket booth for football games, I've heard numerous people complain about the ticket prices.  I will say that when I was in high school in Beebe, I do not remember what students paid exactly, but I want to say it was $4.

Vilonia does have an option for students to buy a season pass to all home sporting events for every sport all year long for $20, though. That pass gets them into every sporting event from middle school on up. The passes are good for one entire school sporting year, and it's a heck of a deal since each individual event is $5 alone.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on January 08, 2016, 12:47:20 pm
Quote from: Gob-Fan on January 08, 2016, 10:04:58 am

Here is his editorial.

http://harrisondaily.com/sports/column-what-happened-to-moses/article_e73e0ff2-b626-11e5-b3ea-4f65727d83d1.html

The whole problem is summed up nicely here:

We live in a politically correct era where we should be nice to everyone in every situation.

The 2 toughest places I've ever played were Mena and Subiaco, because they had student sections that showed zero mercy.  And I loved it.

Gob-Fan

I thought the student section was great tonight against Vilonia! The baseball team really stepped up. Proud to be a Goblin!

Go Postal

Quote from: Gob-Fan on January 08, 2016, 09:27:28 pm
I thought the student section was great tonight against Vilonia! The baseball team really stepped up. Proud to be a Goblin!
My faith is restored!  The "Vilonia Red Goblins" came out when the Eagles came out on the court for warmup. They had "Vilonia" wrote on their shirts along with their numbers.  They and their "Red Goblin" coach clapped and praised the Eagles when they did good.  Scolded them when they missed.  Went in to a team huddle during time outs.  Even chanted "Air Ball" to Harrison when the Goblins missed.  It was hilarious good school spirit fun.

sevenof400, here is a couple of videos of what I texted you about the "Vilonia Red Goblins".  Sorry about the quality.  It was my 1st time doing it with a phone...

2016 "Vilonia Red Goblins" warming up next to the Vilonia Eagles at the Spook House

2016 "Vilonia Red Goblins" and Harrison Golden Goblins introduction...

sevenof400

Excellent!  Although my sympathies go out to whoever that was who had to be the mini backboard during warmups......

Thanks for posting those videos Postal!

scoutteamshoota

Its gotten out of hand.   Student sections have become so tame that they aren't even a factor at many gyms anymore.  I remember hearing that last year some students at Searcy had gotten scolded and even asked to leave if they did it again after calling the Hogs and booing the kid from NLR who had chosen to attend Florida over Arkansas. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: scoutteamshoota on January 11, 2016, 02:30:25 pm
Its gotten out of hand.   Student sections have become so tame that they aren't even a factor at many gyms anymore.  I remember hearing that last year some students at Searcy had gotten scolded and even asked to leave if they did it again after calling the Hogs and booing the kid from NLR who had chosen to attend Florida over Arkansas. 

Can't have anyone getting their feelings hurt

Danold Dump

Don't forget the Paragould Rams.  The dump knows what he is talking about.  The Rams' gym stays rockin....dump out

InYoGrill

Quote from: Go Postal on January 08, 2016, 09:57:13 pm
Quote from: Gob-Fan on January 08, 2016, 09:27:28 pm
My faith is restored!  The "Vilonia Red Goblins" came out when the Eagles came out on the court for warmup. They had "Vilonia" wrote on their shirts along with their numbers.  They and their "Red Goblin" coach clapped and praised the Eagles when they did good.  Scolded them when they missed.  Went in to a team huddle during time outs.  Even chanted "Air Ball" to Harrison when the Goblins missed.  It was hilarious good school spirit fun.

sevenof400, here is a couple of videos of what I texted you about the "Vilonia Red Goblins".  Sorry about the quality.  It was my 1st time doing it with a phone...

2016 "Vilonia Red Goblins" warming up next to the Vilonia Eagles at the Spook House

2016 "Vilonia Red Goblins" and Harrison Golden Goblins introduction...

Oh my gosh! Those are epic videos of you brain damaged Gobs. Hilarious. Love it!! Watched them both twice. Thanks Posty!! Glad to see there is some school spirit somewhere these days. 

Yellowcake

From a 52 year old Pulaski Academy fan to the Harrison students.....Don't let them take away your fun. Don't let them stymie creativity. Be reasonable, but keep that stuff up. That is great. Simply great.

This is what being a student and a kid is all about if you want to support your team.

Ponca

Go Postal

I wanted to thank Vilonia Student body for their participation in last Friday's game.  Your team came out on fire.  You did a great job stoking the flames.  That's the way to do it.  Keep up the good work.

I have no clue about the "My Daddy Will Sue" sign that the Goblin students have on the Farmington @ Harrison game tonight.  Maybe some other Goblin fan can enlighten us...

Elvis Hoggoblin

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas