• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scores 4/19 - 4/23

Started by Earl is my Hero!!, April 19, 2010, 08:24:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BBRB

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 23, 2010, 11:44:42 am

I agree. Just that little extra reaction time batters get from 43' seems to be making a difference. Now, if a pitcher is moving the ball well on a given night, that can make a difference as well in the other direction...
Although movement is always important, it too is less effective when the hitter is not worried about getting smoked....They are able to relax and get a better look at the pitch

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: blacksox3 on April 23, 2010, 01:29:04 pm
Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 23, 2010, 01:15:37 pm
Quote from: blacksox3 on April 23, 2010, 01:05:50 pm
Maybe the hand of GOD will reach down to the Earl and annoint him with the power of UIC in calling the State Championship game this year.  Good luck!!

We'll all have to be there for that!!  But we'll also be there for a rematch of last years game too.

Bryant fans don't want me anywhere near that game. No Lovely Ladies Leaping on my field...

Think she's improved on the leaping, right.  At least the games I've seen. You even called one game this year of Bryant's.  I don't remember an IP for leaping in that game, at least not near as many as last year.  It's been a while for me to remember that game though.

The Earl was behind the plate, and as such was not in a position to either observe or call violations related to leaping or crow-hopping...

stattracker

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 23, 2010, 02:30:54 pm
Maybe the hand of GOD will reach down to the Earl and annoint him with the power of UIC in calling the State Championship game this year.  Good luck!!

We'll all have to be there for that!!  But we'll also be there for a rematch of last years game too.

Bryant fans don't want me anywhere near that game. No Lovely Ladies Leaping on my field...

Think she's improved on the leaping, right.  At least the games I've seen. You even called one game this year of Bryant's.  I don't remember an IP for leaping in that game, at least not near as many as last year.  It's been a while for me to remember that game though.

The Earl was behind the plate, and as such was not in a position to either observe or call violations related to leaping or crow-hopping...

That is a fact. However, would you submit that if there were no violations called that none occurred?

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: stattracker on April 23, 2010, 02:34:22 pm
Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 23, 2010, 02:30:54 pm

That is a fact. However, would you submit that if there were no violations called that none occurred?

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a noise?

blacksox3

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 23, 2010, 02:10:40 pm
Quote from: blacksox3 on April 23, 2010, 12:35:53 pm
No, they are not based on overall team performance.  One could argue, which I am, that Bryant's schedule to date has been tougher than that of the Bentonville's.  In that analysis to come out ahead on all but 1 against the defending state champs (NLR), I feel she has been better on the mound than the lady from B-ville.  Granted you gave a breakdown of each category but had B-ville's pitcher not allowed the ball to be hit all over the field in some of the game's where her defense let her down and cost them a few games, then I feel they may be more of equality.  Yes you did give the defensive edge to Bryant, but you also said that is their strongpoint, which by most I know would say that is definitely not true.

See n00bish one, here is where you hypothesis implodes, and your argument falls apart like a Haitian building in an earthquake. Focus carefully on the underlined text in your words above. This is precisely my contention - Her defense let her down and cost her a few games.

A pitcher need not necessarily strike every batter out to be dominant, let alone highly effective. If you are old enough, think Phil Niekro. If younger, think Greg Maddux.

While most assuredly an above average pitcher, I do not think either pitcher is dominant like Summerford, Wise, Sheldon, or Armstrong were (notice I did not include Lund in that list either).

Further, I offer the following quotation from a PM sent to me by one of the Hornet faithful. I have omitted the author's name to protect his or her anonymity:

Defensively, I think you were pretty spot on. We are weak at one spot.

Finally, and this will be my last word on the subject, I will address the following statement:

Quote from: blacksox3 on April 23, 2010, 12:35:53 pm
Isn't the point of Fearless Friday based upon rumor and innuendo??

Granted there are those amongst us that are blinded by rabid support for a particular team. These commonplace trolls, like you, resort to puffery in the most extreme fashion in order to justify the superhuman characteristics they attribute to their team, their children, and often times themselves.

Occasionally, we are blessed by gifted individuals that transcend these everyday prejudices and attain a level of consciousness and clarity of thought which permits concise, impartial, and well conceived interpretation of facts to which the common man has been blinded.

You will find that this metamorphosis typically occurs when the individual is removed from the emotional bond to the game associated with the presence of a beloved daughter donning the uniform of a given school.

The transformation of these individuals can be difficult as they are often chastised by those closest to them. Individuals with whom they have broken bread, shared a cold one (or two), and travelled this fine state/country to cheer their team to victory, turn on them like one of Michael Vick's dogs. Harsh statements like "We're revoking your Chargin' Chicken card" are bantied about penetrating one's soul like a Manson Family fork in Sharon Tate's abdomen.

Alas, the blessings of these individuals are from time to time eventually realized, and they find themselves showered with offerings of Big Nasty's, catfish dinners, and that ambrosia of the gods - Mrs. Pretty Ricky's naner puddin'.

Blacksox, my friend, were you to live five lifetimes, you may never achieve the degree of understanding that The Earl displays on a daily basis...
On one hand, I wish you had written some of my papers in college, but I think a 3.75 GPA will do just fine for me.

On the other hand, you were probably the one in class that others like me which we could ask to step outside and beat that **s for wasting our time coming to class to listen to such crap that's he's eyeball deep in to prove an insignificant point.  This my friend, is a direct reference to you.

What is your profession fearless one?  Besides the one one that gets your jollies going umpiring softball and attempting to feel the power in the right hand calling an IP. 

Quite Frankly

He's the best darn barber in all of Bentonville.

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: blacksox3 on April 23, 2010, 03:33:27 pm

On one hand, I wish you had written some of my papers in college, but I think a 3.75 GPA will do just fine for me.

On the other hand, you were probably the one in class that others like me which we could ask to step outside and beat that **s for wasting our time coming to class to listen to such crap that's he's eyeball deep in to prove an insignificant point.  This my friend, is a direct reference to you.

What is your profession fearless one?  Besides the one one that gets your jollies going umpiring softball and attempting to feel the power in the right hand calling an IP. 

See now, everytime you open your keyboard you expose your ignorance for all to see. First, you bust on me for leaving an "L" out of personally, now you use which instead of wish.

Then you attempt to insult my being an umpire and display your ignorance of same by suggesting I garner some sort of thrill by extending my right hand to signal an illegal pitch.

Sorry n00b. One extends one's left hand on an illegal pitch. Such a motion indicates to all a delayed dead ball situation has occurred. The extension of the right hand is the universal signal of an out.

Not that it matters, but I sell stuff to the world's largest retailer. I congratulate you on your proclaimed academic prowess. You must have the highest GPA of all the ditch diggers.

Give up yet? If you cannot tell, you will not win a war of words with me. I don't think you are old enough to have a daughter that plays so I must assume that either your sister or your girlfriend is a Hornet. If I was forced to guess, I would say that based upon your voracious defense of the pitching Peyton, that she is one or the other.

If interested, I have some lovely pictures of her leaping in last year's loss to NLR.

Keep going if you wish, but I think everyone can see who the victor is in this war of wit. Excuse me, but I must call call the Fayetteville at Rogers game...

blacksox3

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 23, 2010, 04:06:35 pm

See now, everytime you open your keyboard you expose your ignorance for all to see. First, you bust on me for leaving an "L" out of personally, now you use which instead of wish.

Then you attempt to insult my being an umpire and display your ignorance of same by suggesting I garner some sort of thrill by extending my right hand to signal an illegal pitch.

Sorry n00b. One extends one's left hand on an illegal pitch. Such a motion indicates to all a delayed dead ball situation has occurred. The extension of the right hand is the universal signal of an out.

Not that it matters, but I sell stuff to the world's largest retailer. I congratulate you on your proclaimed academic prowess. You must have the highest GPA of all the ditch diggers.

Give up yet? If you cannot tell, you will not win a war of words with me. I don't think you are old enough to have a daughter that plays so I must assume that either your sister or your girlfriend is a Hornet. If I was forced to guess, I would say that based upon your voracious defense of the pitching Peyton, that she is one or the other.

If interested, I have some lovely pictures of her leaping in last year's loss to NLR.

Keep going if you wish, but I think everyone can see who the victor is in this war of wit. Excuse me, but I must call call the Fayetteville at Rogers game...

Spelling almost correct.   ???  Call Call not so sure about though.  Ditch Digger close, but not so much.  Give you a hint:  If by chance in calling the game tonight, you pull up lame w/ a bad hammy or blow a disc?  I'm the one to see.  But I won't throw out too much medical lingo on here.  Right, Stat!!!!  Have you been asking around about me HERO??  Not old enough to have a daughter on the team.  Correct, but one in waiting in about 13 years.  Hope she's as good if not better than my lil' sis.  No girlfriend, just my better and to you I guess, smarter half!!  Correct about a sister on the team though.  Right hand/Left hand doesn't matter to me.  Baseball only mattered much to me, which by the way doesn't have such silly rules over leaping and IP's which I don't think gives much advantage to the pitcher, IMO.  No relation to Bryant player referenced either, just a fan of the Hornets.

Hope you call a masterful game!!

Quite Frankly

wildcatdad

Har-Ber  3
Heritage 1

Can you say emotionally flat?!!  I think we need to install a defibrillator in the dug out. When they flatten out........Clear......Wack....

stattracker

I am pulling up a chair next to Trev and going to enjoy the show.

mack

Quote from: blacksox3 on April 23, 2010, 05:06:01 pm
Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 23, 2010, 04:06:35 pm

Spelling almost correct.   ???  Call Call not so sure about though.  Ditch Digger close, but not so much.  Give you a hint:  If by chance in calling the game tonight, you pull up lame w/ a bad hammy or blow a disc?  I'm the one to see.  But I won't throw out too much medical lingo on here.  Right, Stat!!!!  Have you been asking around about me HERO??  Not old enough to have a daughter on the team.  Correct, but one in waiting in about 13 years.  Hope she's as good if not better than my lil' sis.  No girlfriend, just my better and to you I guess, smarter half!!  Correct about a sister on the team though.  Right hand/Left hand doesn't matter to me.  Baseball only mattered much to me, which by the way doesn't have such silly rules over leaping and IP's which I don't think gives much advantage to the pitcher, IMO.  No relation to Bryant player referenced either, just a fan of the Hornets.

My, my, my,,,, the angst of youth in full flower.  If Alanis Morrissette was from Bryant, I'd swear you were her brother.  You need to realize that your bile is what fuels The Earl, your vitriol nurtures his soul and warms his black heart.  You give him power over you.  You are in thrall to his will, slave to his wit and blinded by his science.  [Man, I'm going to have to stop watching the Tudors and listening to Thomas Dolby,,, it is affecting my posting prose]

Wrong again young stallion, on several counts, but particularly the leaping.  The pitcher is only 43 ft from the batter.  If she is allowed to leap, she is even closer when releasing the ball.  This is an advantage.  I agreee with stat that pitcher's stepping to the outside of the rubber is a more egregious offense.  Nonetheless, leaping is illegal.  I don't care if it's Bryant or Bigelow,,, Sr. High or 10U,,, it should be called every time.  Umps that see it, and don't call it,,, well, their's are in a jar on their wife's side of the bed.  Hmmm, being a member of the medical profession,,,  if The Earl pulls a glute,,,, will you come to his aid,,, you know,,, that Hippocrates thing.

The Earl, a ditch digger,,,,, I think not.  My grandad was though, and raised a nice family that saw all his kids go to college.  I'm sort of fond of ditch diggers.  Although I know well his means of making a living, I won't share it on here.  Suffice to say,,he is very talented and successful at what he does.  He will not be numismatically intimidated  by any member of the medical profession.

Study your sister well, she is a playah!  Listen to about 60% of what stat tells you.  Study The Earl's past posts in depth.  Read the rule book backwards and forwards.   Do all these things, and in about 10 years you may be ready to contest his knowledge of the game.

The artist formerly known as Mack

blacksox3

As a matter of fact, I remember Alanis all too well.  Fond of her early music in my hayday!!  ;D

Granted leaping does involve the pitcher approaching the plate from a shorter distance but also does leaping not involve the the young lady's momentum moving in an upward motion as well.  Thus leading to less explosion being shifted into the power position creating a slightly slower pitch.  Maybe not to the naked eye on the speed, but it does have some direct effect in the pitch not being delivered to it's max potential.  Trust me Mack, mechanics of pitching was a forte of mine I learned from the pitching coach of Nolan Ryan while he was w/ the Rangers and while I was a former  blacksox and hornet pitcher and player.  Any movement not in the straight line direction of the recipient is loss of explosive momentum.

If you recall earlier,  The HERO called myself a ditch digger.  Your response was wrong.  If the HERO is on the field when I'm attending a game and needs my medical assistance, I'll do my best.  Actually just got re certified in CPR/AED training earlier this week.  Would you be my other rescuer if I called on you for assistance?  I'm sure you would help a new FF nOOb out.

So you know of my identity too.  Not me personally, but you know of my sis, yes.  I guess the word is getting out. 

Formally known??

terminator

QuoteBaseball only mattered much to me, which by the way doesn't have such silly rules over leaping and IP's which I don't think gives much advantage to the pitcher, IMO.

Ah, my young friend, I can promise you that trying to match wits with one as astute as the EARL, you will lose.  Only age, and with it comes the wisdom, and then once acquired, will you actually be on his astute level.

By the way, I know sis, she is a gem.

As for the 'leaping', whether it gives an advantage to the pitcher or not, it is still illegal according to the rulebook.  Until it is changed, it should be enforced.  I have watched her this year, and she has made great strides.

Back to the Earl, I promise you, if you keep 'messing' with him, no one, and I mean absolutely no one, is going to be happy in Saline County.  The man hath no conscience when you go to friggin' with him.  In all seriousness, he is one of the most knowledgeable gentlemen about the game and talent. 

Stick to your baseball.  Tell mom and dad the Terminator said hello.

stattracker

Quote from: blacksox3 on April 23, 2010, 09:05:03 pm
As a matter of fact, I remember Alanis all too well.  Fond of her early music in my hayday!!  ;D

Granted leaping does involve the pitcher approaching the plate from a shorter distance but also does leaping not involve the the young lady's momentum moving in an upward motion as well.  Thus leading to less explosion being shifted into the power position creating a slightly slower pitch.  Maybe not to the naked eye on the speed, but it does have some direct effect in the pitch not being delivered to it's max potential.  Trust me Mack, mechanics of pitching was a forte of mine I learned from the pitching coach of Nolan Ryan while he was w/ the Rangers and while I was a former  blacksox and hornet pitcher and player.  Any movement not in the straight line direction of the recipient is loss of explosive momentum.

If you recall earlier,  The HERO called myself a ditch digger.  Your response was wrong.  If the HERO is on the field when I'm attending a game and needs my medical assistance, I'll do my best.  Actually just got re certified in CPR/AED training earlier this week.  Would you be my other rescuer if I called on you for assistance?  I'm sure you would help a new FF nOOb out.

So you know of my identity too.  Not me personally, but you know of my sis, yes.  I guess the word is getting out. 

Formally known??

Not yet they don't. They have an idea that she is a very good player. Let's just say that they know her, but don't know her.

Your analysis of the leap is exactly what I was trying to say on here last year. i would submit that if the "leaper" can get to the front, or beyond, the circle then she has created somewhat of an advantage. However, there "leapers" that don't hardly go out near as far as they do if they were to push and drag. By rule they were in violation, but how much of an advantage did they really get.

As I mentioned to my good friend mack, privately, I kind of relate it to the crow hop rule. Earl, correct if I am wrong. It is a violation if the pitcher slides her pivot foot forward, just a hair, off of the rubber and replants then pushes off again. Now, they did violate a rule, but how much of an advantage was created in the scenario I presented. Now, i am not saying it should not be called, but I am talking about advantages that are/aren't gained in certain situations.

Also, I watched a whole game tonight filled with "leaps" and "outside the width of the rubber", and it was not our school as we were off tonight. Now, I keep hearing this about "toe pointed down". Earl, can you tell me where in the rule book it says that it is ok to leap as long as the toe is pointed down or to avoid the hole? I would really love to see this in fine print.

I am also awaiting, not saying I am entitled, an answer from someone about the 81 illegal pitch call game that resulted in an "alleged" meeting saying to cut out the "not so obvious" violations, but to call the "very obvious" ones.

Also, Earl, I have seen, this very year, some umpires signal with the right arm. You are correct about the left arm though. Not that you need my help.

jtnokomis

Mike Love

:( Benton beats Sheridan 16-6

blacksox3

Quote from: terminator on April 23, 2010, 09:17:36 pm
QuoteBaseball only mattered much to me, which by the way doesn't have such silly rules over leaping and IP's which I don't think gives much advantage to the pitcher, IMO.

Ah, my young friend, I can promise you that trying to match wits with one as astute as the EARL, you will lose.  Only age, and with it comes the wisdom, and then once acquired, will you actually be on his astute level.

By the way, I know sis, she is a gem.

As for the 'leaping', whether it gives an advantage to the pitcher or not, it is still illegal according to the rulebook.  Until it is changed, it should be enforced.  I have watched her this year, and she has made great strides.

Back to the Earl, I promise you, if you keep 'messing' with him, no one, and I mean absolutely no one, is going to be happy in Saline County.  The man hath no conscience when you go to friggin' with him.  In all seriousness, he is one of the most knowledgeable gentlemen about the game and talent. 

Stick to your baseball.  Tell mom and dad the Terminator said hello.
I've heard that the HERO is very well versed in both softball and Webster's dict.  I know of a few umps as well that I could persuade to call a game in my favor.  I know that they wouldn't but the thought is there.  One may be of relation to my baby's momma.

In all seriousness, I know of only Bryant's talent and maybe a few other teams girls and that's it.  Just trying to get my posts up so I'm not a cheerleader like my older sis.  I say my lil' sis learned everything she knows from watching her older yet much better baseball/softball playing brother.  Hope she doesn't see this, but I tell her all the time.  Love her though.  I hope she keeps on keeping on and doing her own thing and learns a lot more than I did while playing.

Quite Frankly

The need for people to do their best to circumvent the pitching rules is mindboggling.

Just obey it and don't look to flaunt it.  Trying to expand its limits or rationalizing those that seek to gain an advantage is self-revealing.

Quite Frankly

Bryant softball posters=Marion football posters(from years gone by)

blacksox3

Who did you watch tonight Stat?

stattracker

stattracker

I am folding up my chair and leving the room in fear of what is getting ready to come and will blow this place up. I know what it possibly is and I am going to ask that it not happens and just leave it at that.

peace out from this thread.

trevster10

Quote from: stattracker on April 23, 2010, 10:24:25 pm
I am folding up my chair and leving the room in fear of what is getting ready to come and will blow this place up. I know what it possibly is and I am going to ask that it not happens and just leave it at that.

peace out from this thread.

Ahhhh, C'mon wuss! Do like me, and just put your poncho on, and be ready to rumble!  ;D

I'll be up waiting on the All-Time FF scores to be posted, so i'll have nothing better to do than wreak havoc on the softball board  ;) Or attempt to, at least.

trevster10

Quote from: QF© on April 23, 2010, 10:05:49 pm

Not exactly what that means, but I will say this. I wouldn't hesitate to stick my neck out to defend my team, and the progress we have made, but I will never (not until I am much older and smarter anyways) challenge the Earl when it comes to rules, procedures, etc. Heck, when it comes to a word battle, no one can beat him.

And I'd rather it not get to a point where the Earl says something disrespectful to the girls on our team because someone is agitating him to the point where it seems necessary. I understand the need to get back at him would be necessary, but that would be getting at the team as whole, including people completely un-associated with said poster.

Earl is my Hero!!

April 23, 2010, 11:22:43 pm #175 Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:26:32 am by Earl is my Hero!!
Quote from: blacksox3 on April 23, 2010, 05:06:01 pm
Spelling almost correct.   ???  Call Call not so sure about though.  Ditch Digger close, but not so much.  Give you a hint:  If by chance in calling the game tonight, you pull up lame w/ a bad hammy or blow a disc?  I'm the one to see.  But I won't throw out too much medical lingo on here.  Right, Stat!!!!  Have you been asking around about me HERO??  Not old enough to have a daughter on the team.  Correct, but one in waiting in about 13 years.  Hope she's as good if not better than my lil' sis.  No girlfriend, just my better and to you I guess, smarter half!!  Correct about a sister on the team though.  Right hand/Left hand doesn't matter to me.  Baseball only mattered much to me, which by the way doesn't have such silly rules over leaping and IP's which I don't think gives much advantage to the pitcher, IMO.  No relation to Bryant player referenced either, just a fan of the Hornets.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are there not rules in place in baseball requiring the pitcher to maintain contact with the rubber, come to a complete stop, etc., etc.,? Violation of said requirements result in a balk do they not?

Based upon all the wayward and misinformed comments tonight, I feel it is incumbent upon The Earl to dispel all myths and rumors pertaining to illegal pitches. First of all:

Leaping
In NFHS, the pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag away from the pitching plate prior to the front foot touching the ground, as long as the pivot foot maintains contact with the ground and within the 24-inch length of the pitcher's plate.

The italicized text above is straight from the rulebook. Please note the following:
1) There is no mention of a hole in the ground, and
2) There is no mention of anyone gaining an advantage.

The following are classic examples of LEAPS:

Editor's Note: I selected these images to illustrate a point. They are all from the finals at Bogle Park last May. I guess it is just coincidence that these players, all pitching illegally, have reached the finals. So much for not gaining an advantage.

Crow-Hop
Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher's plate is illegal.

You can't get any clearer than that. Again, no mention of advantage. Either the foot is in contact with the pitcher's plate or it isn't.

The key to determining a crow-hop is the position of the pivot foot when the hands separate. In the following illustration, please notice the pitcher's hands have not separated, and the pivot foot is no longer in contact with the pitcher's plate. This detail is important as the pitch does not begin until one hand is removed from the ball.

Other Violations
One of the most common violations that is rarely called involves stepping back after the hands are brought together. This call is the responsibility of the field umpire.

Another common violation involves stepping outside the width of the pitcher's plate. Remember, the entire foot must be outside of the pitcher's plate. Any part of the foot on that imaginary line and the pitch is legal. This call is the responsibility of the plate umpire, and in all honesty, this is a difficult call to make. As the plate umpire, you are so intensely focused on the pitch, it is difficult to detect unless blatantly obvious.

Finally, 2010 is the third consecutive year that enforcement of illegal pitches has been a point of emphasis for umpires. This year, the terminology "illegal pitches must be called" was employed. From an umpiring perspective, the direction from the NFHS is abundantly clear, and all this talk of gaing an advantage is superfluous and somewhat supercilious.

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: trevster10 on April 23, 2010, 10:49:07 pm
And I'd rather it not get to a point where the Earl says something disrespectful to the girls on our team because someone is agitating him to the point where it seems necessary.

I have nothing but the utmost respect and regard for the team from Bryant. I admire their coach (from afar), and all the players I have met have been pleasant and lovely young women.

As with all the teams that play this sport I enjoy so much, I wish them nothing but success, and feel fortunate to be a part of the game as an umpire, spectator, and a fan.

trevster10

QuoteEditor's Note: I selected these images to illustrate a point. They are all from the finals at Bogle Park last May. I guess it is just coincidence that these players, all pitching illegally, have reached the finals. So much for not gaining an advantage.

I thought they started calling them more frequently last year?

stattracker

April 24, 2010, 12:45:43 am #178 Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:09:08 am by stattracker
QuoteEditor's Note: I selected these images to illustrate a point. They are all from the finals at Bogle Park last May. I guess it is just coincidence that these players, all pitching illegally, have reached the finals. So much for not gaining an advantage.

I would be remiss if I didn't comment on this. If you would have paid attention to the playoffs last year you would have known that more than one young lady pitched for the Hornets last year. The young lady you do not have a photo of from the Hornets pitched quite a bit more than the young lady you chose to overkill with photos. Also, the reason the young lady, you have pictured, was even in was because the starter was injured by a batted ball.

I will tell you the advantage that the Hornets had last year and that was a very potent offense and scored a heck of a lot more runs than everyone in the playoffs except NLR. Where's those pictures at? The public criticism that she continues to receive is outlandish and, to be honest, freaking ridiculous.

That young lady reads this site and now she is going to see that someone, who very well could call her game, is now posting pictures about her on this site. What is she to think now Earl?

Wouldn't it stand to reason that, if properly called, that it would be a huge disadvantage for the offending team?

Valleysports

I know this is a Drama Sport, but I think those pictures might be crossing the line.  If Bryant's next game is called by an Umpire, who's viewed this subject on FF, he'll target that call.  This could lead Stat into a life of taking evidence pictures and posting them year round.  Such is the World of Arkansas Fastpitchl!  ::)

GreenMan

If she is not leaping anymore (which the games I have seen this season, she hasn't leaped) it shouldn't be a problem in my opinion...

3 Dollar

Quote from: wildcatdad on April 23, 2010, 08:27:32 pm
Har-Ber  3
Heritage 1

Can you say emotionally flat?!!  I think we need to install a defibrillator in the dug out. When they flatten out........Clear......Wack....

If you were to do this, it would bring about a very serious law suit.

I believe they have the copyright on the "WACK-A-MOLE" game!   ;D ;D ;D

Sorry Ugly, couldn't resist!   ;)

3 Dollar

Not exactly what that means, but I will say this. I wouldn't hesitate to stick my neck out to defend my team, and the progress we have made, but I will never (not until I am much older and smarter anyways) challenge the Earl when it comes to rules, procedures, etc. Heck, when it comes to a word battle, no one can beat him.

And I'd rather it not get to a point where the Earl says something disrespectful to the girls on our team because someone is agitating him to the point where it seems necessary. I understand the need to get back at him would be necessary, but that would be getting at the team as whole, including people completely un-associated with said poster.

Rest assured 'lil ster10, if the Earl is as professional as I'm sure he is, this would never ever happen no matter what buttons were pushed.  No professional official would ever "cheat" (don't like using that word) a player of the game!

Being an official of sports for 20+ years, I have seen this kind of stuff go on.  Those individuals are in it for the wrong reasons, and need to get out of it.  I don't think the Earl falls into that category!

stattracker

Quote from: 3 Dollar on April 24, 2010, 07:05:44 am

Rest assured 'lil ster10, if the Earl is as professional as I'm sure he is, this would never ever happen no matter what buttons were pushed.  No professional official would ever "cheat" (don't like using that word) a player of the game!

Being an official of sports for 20+ years, I have seen this kind of stuff go on.  Those individuals are in it for the wrong reasons, and need to get out of it.  I don't think the Earl falls into that category!

I do agree with you on this. I have a great deal of respect for the man. I have sat at the same table and broke bread with the man. I have had conversations in private and public that leads to believe he nothing more than professional. However, you know that perception runs this world we live in. I can't speak for the individual who does not know this man and, sees this site, and forms a different opinion.

Earl is my Hero!!

April 24, 2010, 08:34:56 am #184 Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:56:01 am by Earl is my Hero!!
Quote from: stattracker on April 24, 2010, 12:45:43 am
That young lady reads this site and now she is going to see that someone, who very well could call her game, is now posting pictures about her on this site. What is she to think now Earl?

Wouldn't it stand to reason that, if properly called, that it would be a huge disadvantage for the offending team?

I would hope that anyone that read that post would realize the emphasis that has been placed on illegal pitching, not by me but by the governing body of high school softball.

To suggest that I would single one player out for enforcement of a rule is asinine. I do my best to enforce the rules every play, regardless of the competition or who is playing. When I step on the field, I honestly am not aware of who the teams are. When making a call on a close play, you don't have time to think who is involved in the play.

I have tons of pictures and video of girls pitching. Most of them I couldn't even tell you who they are. We use them as training aids for umpire clinics so we can teach umpires what to look for.

I would also like to point out that since the photos in question were taken, I have called games for 2 of the teams shown. Care to guess how many illegal pitches I called in those games? Zero.

I'm sure you are all sitting there saying "well why are you making such a big deal out of it, and then not calling it?" Simple answer. I was behind the plate on both games. Difficult for the plate umpire to see leaping and crow-hops.

Honestly, much of the time it is difficult for the field umpire to see as well, particularly in two man mechanics which is used most of the time in softball. The only time you will see three man crews in softball will be for the state tournament. It is much easier to see these violations in a three man system. The umpires spend more time on the foul lines which gives them a better angle to see the play.

Editor's note: Notice the umpire (three man crew) in this photo is in excellent position to see the violation and make the call. He kinda looks familiar, doesn't he? ;D

Editor's note: Whereas in this picture, the umpire is not in the frame. This game was from a regional tournament (two man crew) so the umpire with a runner on first is behind the 2nd baseman.

Also notice the orientation of the pitcher's pivot foot. See how her toe is pointed almost skyward? A dead giveaway that a LEAP has occurred. Hard for the pivot foot to push away and drag like that.

Editor's note: Thought I should post an example of a player doing it correctly as well. Looks like she is throwing a circle change...

stattracker

Quote from: Valleysports on April 24, 2010, 01:25:33 am
I know this is a Drama Sport, but I think those pictures might be crossing the line.  If Bryant's next game is called by an Umpire, who's viewed this subject on FF, he'll target that call.  This could lead Stat into a life of taking evidence pictures and posting them year round.  Such is the World of Arkansas Fastpitchl!  ::)

As much as I wanted to last year, and almost did, I don't think it is right to be plastering photos of these players making mistakes. It is, IMO, worse than calling a player out.

stattracker

Earl, let me make this very clear. I, in no way, believe you would cheat or do anything to change the outcome of a game. That's me though. That's not the common person, who does not know you as some of us do, and then sees a game that they question. I don't think that is too far from reality and perception of some people.

I don't see a problem with photos and video being used as training aids for new umpires. However, this is not the training site for that.

I'm telling you now, the emphasis that you talk about is not being emphasized. I won't go into details on here in the public forum.

I have sent you a PM concerning a few things late last night. I truly hope you do the right thing.

blacksox3

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 23, 2010, 11:36:40 pm
And I'd rather it not get to a point where the Earl says something disrespectful to the girls on our team because someone is agitating him to the point where it seems necessary.

I have nothing but the utmost respect and regard for the team from Bryant. I admire their coach (from afar), and all the players I have met have been pleasant and lovely young women.

As with all the teams that play this sport I enjoy so much, I wish them nothing but success, and feel fortunate to be a part of the game as an umpire, spectator, and a fan.
Good form HERO!

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: blacksox3 on April 24, 2010, 08:50:19 am

Good form HERO!

See Sox, I think that's what you didn't realize when you first questioned me. My daughter graduated and retired from this sport several years ago. I, however, have continued to stay involved in the game. I do it because I love the game, and because I care about the kids.

If a school needs an umpire, I do anything I can to help them out. I don't ask about the money. I don't worry about mileage. I just go call the game.

Ask Mack and Birdman how much NLR has paid me to call the TOC.

I love this game, second only to football. If there is a game, I'll go watch it. The other night, I had just flown back from Chicago and I went straight to a game. Mrs. Earl gave me a hard time because I hadn't seen the grandbaby in nearly a week, and I didn't come straight home.

Would it make me happy to see Bentonville win State? Yes, but only because I have watched most of those girls play (as an umpire on the field) since they were 10 years old or younger. I could say the same thing about girls that play for Rogers, Harber, Springdale, Fayetteville, Elkins, Gentry, Gravette, Decatur, Farmington, etc.

Shoot, even after 1 game, I feel the same way about the catcher for Bryant. I think she is a great kid, and could tell she has a lot of personality. I watched her smash two home-runs, and when she came back on defense, she was still grinnin' from ear to ear. I told her they didn't really count as homeruns because they were wind-aided, and the field was a short porch anyway. I could just tell what a great kid she is.

I think Coach Stepp knows that if she ever needed my help as an umpire, all she has to do is call.

The Earl harbors no ill will or malice toward any coach, player, or fan. I mean come on, I even like Stat...

stattracker

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 24, 2010, 09:57:51 am
Quote from: blacksox3 on April 24, 2010, 08:50:19 am

Good form HERO!

See Sox, I think that's what you didn't realize when you first questioned me. My daughter graduated and retired from this sport several years ago. I, however, have continued to stay involved in the game. I do it because I love the game, and because I care about the kids.

If a school needs an umpire, I do anything I can to help them out. I don't ask about the money. I don't worry about mileage. I just go call the game.

Ask Mack and Birdman how much NLR has paid me to call the TOC.

I love this game, second only to football. If there is a game, I'll go watch it. The other night, I had just flown back from Chicago and I went straight to a game. Mrs. Earl gave me a hard time because I hadn't seen the grandbaby in nearly a week, and I didn't come straight home.

Would it make me happy to see Bentonville win State? Yes, but only because I have watched most of those girls play (as an umpire on the field) since they were 10 years old or younger. I could say the same thing about girls that play for Rogers, Harber, Springdale, Fayetteville, Elkins, Gentry, Gravette, Decatur, Farmington, etc.

Shoot, even after 1 game, I feel the same way about the catcher for Bryant. I think she is a great kid, and could tell she has a lot of personality. I watched her smash two home-runs, and when she came back on defense, she was still grinnin' from ear to ear. I told her they didn't really count as homeruns because they were wind-aided, and the field was a short porch anyway. I could just tell what a great kid she is.

I think Coach Stepp knows that if she ever needed my help as an umpire, all she has to do is call.

The Earl harbors no ill will or malice toward any coach, player, or fan. I mean come on, I even like Stat...

Feeling is mutual. I applaud him for not holding it against my DD an allowing her to walk when he could have rung her up on that pitch above her head. ;D

True Fan

Well said.

The love of the game is a powerful thing. Every player, coach and umpire should have it.

Combined with character and integrity, it's a winning combination.

True Fan

As for the pictures, I disagree with you, stat. New umpires aren't the only ones who need training. This is an excellent resource for the very specific examples that Earl normally posts. Players, coaches, umpires and fans all benefit. The individual players who are "called out" are not done so with malice. I would dare say 99.9% will use it in a constructive manner.

stattracker

Quote from: True Fan on April 24, 2010, 11:20:09 am
As for the pictures, I disagree with you, stat. New umpires aren't the only ones who need training. This is an excellent resource for the very specific examples that Earl normally posts. Players, coaches, umpires and fans all benefit. The individual players who are "called out" are not done so with malice. I would dare say 99.9% will use it in a constructive manner.

We will agree to disagree. I sent you a PM explaining.

Your Stat of 99.9% is probably way off too.

fpfan

April 24, 2010, 12:49:38 pm #193 Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:58:29 pm by fpfan
Interesting that the photo of the U of A pitcher featured by Earl is a pitcher who (is doing quite well this year for U of A) has been called for some illegal pitches this year at U of A, 3 in 1 inning earlier this season. Yes, looks like she is probably throwing a circle change-up. Few pitchers would leap or replant on a change-up. Yet she was fortunate enough to be chosen by Earl to be featured as an example of a legal pitch. Much can be said for the point at which the photo was taken. A picture could be taken, in fact, of the same pitch to illustrate a legal and an illegal pitch depending on the timing of the photo.

Let's all keep in mind that Earl or as he calls himself, "The Earl" made these posting and explanations only for the good of the "lovely young ladies." That is why he makes statements like, "I guess it is just coincidence that these players, all pitching illegally, have reached the finals. So much for not gaining an advantage."

Why not include photos of "lovely young ladies" in this state who did not reach the finals. Better yet, photos of others who made the finals; they exist. Quite an honor to be selected for this public example by "The Earl."

With the thousands of photo samples out there it was thoughtful of him to select these players to illustrate his point. If he finds the time maybe he could go so far, in the interest of the girls, as to catalog each pitcher in the state and post photos of each girl's pitches on this public forum. Her change-up is legal, "see." Her screw ball appears legal in this photo, but if we look at this one timed slightly earlier it is in fact illegal, "see." According to these 3 photos of her riseball, this is a clearly legal pitch for her.

All pitchers should pitch legally and be called for illegal pitches in games (key point, in the games). It is a point of emphasis. Therefore umpires should call it consistantly. That is why they have training sessions, etc.

Why does Earl bring this up now, not for the girls.

He says, "Last year the guys from the central knew where they were going in March, but the AOA doesn't even send out the forms until late April. Explain to me how that happens?" "

"Nevermind, I already know. On a side note Don Brodell assured me just a few weeks ago that he was going to make some changes. I'm not holding my breath."

His following comment, "Bryant fans don't want me anywhere near that game. No Lovely Ladies Leaping on my field..."

He feels slighted by the AAA in not getting to umpire a big time state finals game. If he gets the chance to call the big 7A game he will make his presence known.

Maybe "The Earl" will have his day and get to call the 7A state finals game and let someone play photographer there.

trevster10

Quote from: 3 Dollar on April 24, 2010, 07:05:44 am

And I'd rather it not get to a point where the Earl says something disrespectful to the girls on our team because someone is agitating him to the point where it seems necessary. I understand the need to get back at him would be necessary, but that would be getting at the team as whole, including people completely unassociated with said poster.

I think my words have been misconstrued. I didn't mean to insinuate he was going to call a game unfairly. From just the short time that I have spent on this board, I have gathered that he is much more professional than that.

But. The conversation between him and blacksox was becoming more feisty by the minute. He hinted at picking on our girls when he said - "No lovely ladies leaping". That was a direct shot at PJ. I guess he said this not realizing how hard she has worked on this. But anyways, my point was that I didn't want this to become any worse than the leaping ladies comments. Becuase, being younger on this board, I have to keep quiet some of the time when it comes to stuff like that, but when you start with comments like those is when I will start to come unglued. 

pdj

April 24, 2010, 01:35:41 pm #195 Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:39:23 pm by pdj
Changed my feeble mind

Earl is my Hero!!

April 24, 2010, 01:50:42 pm #196 Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:17:10 pm by Earl is my Hero!!
Quote from: fpfan on April 24, 2010, 12:49:38 pm
Why not include photos of "lovely young ladies" in this state who did not reach the finals. Better yet, photos of others who made the finals; they exist.

I did. See photo above from regionals. That team was eliminated.

Interesting that the photo of the U of A pitcher featured by Earl is a pitcher who (is doing quite well this year for U of A) has been called for some illegal pitches this year at U of A, 3 in 1 inning earlier this season.

Actually, I have the full series of that pitch at 10 frames per second. I assure you that it was legal from start to finish.

I always like it when a mom or dad gets on here and tries to pass as an expert on the rules, and in doing so exposes themself as a fraud. If you want to come on here and bash someone, at least try to know what you are talking about first. For example:

Quote from: fpfan on April 09, 2006, 10:12:23 pm
The rule is that the hands must be separated for not less than one second nor more than 10 seconds. The pitcher simply has to have the hands apart when stepping onto the rubber. They can have the ball in either the glove or the hand as long as their hands are separated (same as summer ball). The purpose of the rule is to stop the "quick pitch."

Wrong!!!!

That is not what the rule says. In fact, the rule is the exact opposite of what you said. The hands must be brought together in front of the body for not less than one second, but not more than 10 seconds. Rule 6, Section 1, Article 1c.

Maybe "The Earl" will have his day and get to call the 7A state finals game and let someone play photographer there.

Not a chance. I only called 7A last year because it was in my backyard. I doubt I will call any state tournament this year because they all are on the other side of the state.

With that said, I don't remember you complaining when I called your daughter's game in Ladyback Yard. You won that time.

blacksox3

Quote from: GreenMan on April 24, 2010, 02:01:45 am
If she is not leaping anymore (which the games I have seen this season, she hasn't leaped) it shouldn't be a problem in my opinion...
But if she does read this forum and the umpire in question above is the field umpire and that is his responsibility to look for leaps, would her attention or lack there of be not on the opponent in the box but the one who posts pics of her for all to see.  Personal experience of mine says this is very hard to remove from the pitcher's psyche.  It happens in all sports.

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: blacksox3 on April 24, 2010, 01:57:36 pm
Quote from: GreenMan on April 24, 2010, 02:01:45 am
But if she does read this forum and the umpire in question above is the field umpire and that is his responsibility to look for leaps, would her attention or lack there of be not on the opponent in the box but the one who posts pics of her for all to see.  Personal experience of mine says this is very hard to remove from the pitcher's psyche.  It happens in all sports.

Don't worry, he won't be. I can guarantee it.

Even next year when 7A returns to the West, I will not call. I decided after last year that I would not call 7A state for at least three more years. I have too many friends with daughters that play, and nothing good can come from my being involved.

I prefer 6A, 5A, 3A, and 2A. We don't have many teams up here in those classifications so it is easier on me.

fpfan

Yes, Earl, you are a professional. I have gathered that from reading this forum. Continue in your quest to help the girls playing softball in Arkansas. We should all be grateful.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas