• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Supporting the Referees

Started by MDXPHD, May 18, 2015, 11:46:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MDXPHD

I did not witness what happened this weekend in some of the games, but it isn't just soccer this happens in.  Every year, a team that the fans don't think should lose ends up losing.  Who is the first to take the heat? We all know the answer to that question. It seems like nobody these days can just accept a loss; there is always a reason for losing (other than just getting beat by somebody that day).

http://www.basketballforcoaches.com/dealing-with-referees/

This is a link targeting basketball coaches, but it definitely relates to all sports and fans. We know that referees don't call perfect games, because they aren't perfect. But why cry about it after every single loss?

There is a shortage of referees in Arkansas, and I can understand why somebody would not want to go into it. Just keep in mind, without these "bad refs", there would be no games and no soccer in Arkansas. You have to have these guys to play the game. If you aren't a referee, don't complain about how they are doing their job.  You should just support your team and show your kids, players, etc. how to lose with integrity..especially when your team has a great season.

This season, everyone has complained about field conditions or referees. It seems like the joy is being taken out of the game. Sometimes, everything will go your way, but most of the time it won't. Just enjoy the game and stop complaining and making excuses for losing.

fourfourtwo

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 18, 2015, 11:46:27 am
I did not witness what happened this weekend in some of the games, but it isn't just soccer this happens in.  Every year, a team that the fans don't think should lose ends up losing.  Who is the first to take the heat? We all know the answer to that question. It seems like nobody these days can just accept a loss; there is always a reason for losing (other than just getting beat by somebody that day).

http://www.basketballforcoaches.com/dealing-with-referees/

This is a link targeting basketball coaches, but it definitely relates to all sports and fans. We know that referees don't call perfect games, because they aren't perfect. But why cry about it after every single loss?

There is a shortage of referees in Arkansas, and I can understand why somebody would not want to go into it. Just keep in mind, without these "bad refs", there would be no games and no soccer in Arkansas. You have to have these guys to play the game. If you aren't a referee, don't complain about how they are doing their job.  You should just support your team and show your kids, players, etc. how to lose with integrity..especially when your team has a great season.

This season, everyone has complained about field conditions or referees. It seems like the joy is being taken out of the game. Sometimes, everything will go your way, but most of the time it won't. Just enjoy the game and stop complaining and making excuses for losing.
Everyone on this post understand the quality of officials here in Arkansas is not the greatest.  I have been involved in HS soccer for over 12 years now and have seen first hand the quality of officials.  I have seen the game from every possible angle: Player, coach, official, fan, and impartial viewer.  There are two valid complaints fans, players, and coaches have here in HS soccer and perhaps club:  The quality of officials, and field conditions.  These two aspects of the game are a result of the progress of soccer in Arkansas.  If you have lived in any other state with the exception of a few, Arkansas is behind by several years.  This is the reason our grass fields are not the best, and our officials, overall, are lower quality. 
There are some good fields in Arkansas and some good officials, but overall the quality is lower as a result of the sports infantile stage. 
There are many officials here that never played the sport and then there are officials that played the sport but never saw the game from another perspective.  I can say, from experience, that being an official is not easy.  It is not good enough to know the laws of the game.  You must be able to apply that law to the game at game speed.  You must keep yourself at all times neutral and keep your emotions in check.  This is very difficult to do.   The good officials can do this.  The poor officials cannot and often allow coaches, players, and fans to get in their head and take it too personal. 
Soccer here in Arkansas is growing and maturing but doing so slowly.  I love the sport and want it to grow, but the State Soccer Association and AAA must do a good job of promoting the sport and doing whatever it takes to protect the integrity of it.  Requiring more training for officials, and more requirements for playoff fields needs to be a priority.
If people never complain and voice their opinions then things never get better. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: fourfourtwo on May 18, 2015, 01:01:11 pm

Doing so on a forum is not the place to influence a change in the sport.

soccer72450

I understand the different ways of calling a game.   While in the course of the game calls can be very objective.      Yet, there are some issues that are subjective.   I watched 4a - 6a games during the year    Here are some of the common issue I saw during the season.

1.    Bagging balls with 3-4 minute left to go in a game.    This was done a number of times in close games where the team that was down was placed in a great disadvantage.     The home team is to have 3 balls for use at all times.
2.    Not having the appropriate  number of ball handlers during the game.   The home team is to have a ball hander on each side line during the course of the game.
3.    Not ensuring that all players have the proper equipment.     Correct length skin guards and correct boots. ( Football cleats, baseball cleats hurt)
4.    Having the proper number of officials.     There should be One center and Two ARS for conference games.    There where several games in which  there was only one AR.
5.    Fans need to understand that High School soccer does no abide by the same rules as club.    The biggest issue seems to be clock stoppage .    This occurs in HS but not at club level.
6.    Properly marked field and size of fields.     Most football fields can be marked properly for soccer.    Yet, in state tourney it seemed that some of the fields lack size and goal dimensions seemed to be out of requirement.
7.    Every ref should be qualified to call the game.   Some of the games conference and state the AR< had a difficult time with the off sides call.    In one game there where over 20 off sides calls.
8.   Allowing the winning team to Milk the clock.    Not sure what he rule is here.    There where a lot of game where over a minute was ticked off before ball was put in to play.   Most of this was a result of not having ball handlers, allowing goalie to lag or bagging ball before time ran out.

I also have a question Who is the Center Ref accountable too?   If a coach has a situation that is a clear violation of the rules and yet the center choose to ignore what is the recourse.   I know there is an appeal process but tis little good if the rules are applied arbitrary  at game time by the Center.    Does a coach have the right to decline to play if there are clear violation as stated above.

These where common issues through out the 4a 5a  and 6a.      Rules and guideline for the game must be adhered to in all games.  It is the responsibility of the Center Ref.  to apply all equally.   PS   I could be totally off sides with my interpretation of the rules.    Just some thoughts.

fourfourtwo

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 18, 2015, 01:24:58 pm
Quote from: fourfourtwo on May 18, 2015, 01:01:11 pm

Doing so on a forum is not the place to influence a change in the sport.
Inagree that this is not the place a person should only voice their opinion for change but you are wrong if you think you shouldn't altogether. There are coaches, officials, and those who can influence decisions on this forum. So voicing it here is actually helpful if done correctly.

Arbitro

Quote from: soccer72450 on May 18, 2015, 01:36:16 pm
I understand the different ways of calling a game.   While in the course of the game calls can be very objective.      Yet, there are some issues that are subjective.   I watched 4a - 6a games during the year    Here are some of the common issue I saw during the season.

1.    Bagging balls with 3-4 minute left to go in a game.    This was done a number of times in close games where the team that was down was placed in a great disadvantage.     The home team is to have 3 balls for use at all times.
I don't know how common a problem this is. In the ~40 games I worked this year, I saw the home team bag up balls a little early exactly once - and they were trailing by 6 goals at the time.
Quote2.    Not having the appropriate  number of ball handlers during the game.   The home team is to have a ball hander on each side line during the course of the game.
This is a school issue, not a refereeing issue.  There is nothing a referee can do about it except make a note of it in their report.  I would guess that I had ball handlers in 1/2 to 2/3 of the games I worked, and everyone appreciated their help.
Quote3.    Not ensuring that all players have the proper equipment.     Correct length skin guards and correct boots. ( Football cleats, baseball cleats hurt)
This is shared responsibility between the coaches and the referee.  Before the coin toss the referee is supposed to ask the coaches if all of their players are legally and properly equipped.  The coaches invariably say yes.  If during the game a player is found to be illegally or improperly equipped, the coach is cautioned for the first offense and the player is cautioned for any subsequent offense.  Personally, for the most part I take the coaches at their word and do not try to closely examine each player.  I've caught a few earrings and necklaces, but I don't go measuring shin guards.
Quote4.    Having the proper number of officials.     There should be One center and Two ARS for conference games.    There where several games in which  there was only one AR.
Believe me when I say that almost all referees prefer to have a full crew of three rather than work solo or as a dual.  If you have fewer that three referees, it is because there were too few referees to cover all of the games on that day, or in the case of JV games the home school was unwilling/unable to pay for a full crew.
Quote5.    Fans need to understand that High School soccer does no abide by the same rules as club.    The biggest issue seems to be clock stoppage .    This occurs in HS but not at club level.
There are a few other differences between the rules for club and for HS soccer, but many of them affect clock management.  In soccer governed by the FIFA laws of the game the clock never stops, but the referee has the authority to add time that was lost during stoppages, delays, time wasting, etc.  In NFHS rules for high school, the scoreboard clock is the official time and the game is over when it reaches 0:00.  That said, the clock is stopped after goals, for PKs, for cards, and for lengthy injuries that require assistance from a coach/trainer.  The referee can also stop the clock in cases of blatant time wasting and can also have the clock operator correct the scoreboard clock if it is incorrect.
Quote6.    Properly marked field and size of fields.     Most football fields can be marked properly for soccer.    Yet, in state tourney it seemed that some of the fields lack size and goal dimensions seemed to be out of requirement.
Again this is a school/AAA issue rather than a refereeing issue.  If there are simple problems that can be corrected before the game (like a misplaced penalty spot or unanchored goals), the referee sees that they are corrected.  If there are marking problems that can't be easily corrected, the game is played anyway and the problems reported to AAA for future correction.  If the goals aren't anchored, the game doesn't start.  The authority to determine whether a field is playable resides with the home school AD during the regular season and a AAA representative (I think) during the playoffs BEFORE THE GAME STARTS.  Once the game starts, the authority of whether the field remains playable resides with the referee.  In practice, if the AD declares a crappy field as playable, the referee is unlikely to turn around a minute into the game and say it is not - especially if they ever want to work at that school again.
Quote7.    Every ref should be qualified to call the game.   Some of the games conference and state the AR< had a difficult time with the off sides call.    In one game there where over 20 off sides calls.
No one can argue with wanting all referees to be qualified to do their jobs on the field.  Exactly how you ensure that is a harder issue.  Just because a lot of offside calls are made doesn't mean that the referee crew doesn't understand offside.  It is more likely that it is the players that lack understanding of it.  Of course ARs can make mistakes, but >95% of the time they are in far better position to judge offside than anyone else at the field.
Quote8.   Allowing the winning team to Milk the clock.    Not sure what he rule is here.    There where a lot of game where over a minute was ticked off before ball was put in to play.   Most of this was a result of not having ball handlers, allowing goalie to lag or bagging ball before time ran out.
Some loss of time is inherent to the game, but the referee also has some tools to deal with excessive time wasting as I described above.

QuoteI also have a question Who is the Center Ref accountable too?   If a coach has a situation that is a clear violation of the rules and yet the center choose to ignore what is the recourse.   I know there is an appeal process but tis little good if the rules are applied arbitrary  at game time by the Center.    Does a coach have the right to decline to play if there are clear violation as stated above.
The referee is accountable to the referee assignor, the state rules interpreter, and ultimately to AAA.  If the coach has serious problems with the performance of the referee, there are official avenues to voice those concerns.  That said, the decisions of the referee regarding play during the game cannot be challenged or changed as far as I know.  Maybe if there was a clear misapplication of the rules (allowing a team to play with only six players, allowing a guy in a wig to play on the girls' team, etc.) the result could be changed, but not for normal decisions (fouls, cards, goal/no goal, etc.).  If a coach refuses to let his team play, the referee will either terminate or abandon the game and leave it to AAA to sort out.

QuoteThese where common issues through out the 4a 5a  and 6a.      Rules and guideline for the game must be adhered to in all games.  It is the responsibility of the Center Ref.  to apply all equally.   PS   I could be totally off sides with my interpretation of the rules.    Just some thoughts.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Arbitro on May 18, 2015, 02:58:01 pm
Quote from: soccer72450 on May 18, 2015, 01:36:16 pm

I don't know how common a problem this is. In the ~40 games I worked this year, I saw the home team bag up balls a little early exactly once - and they were trailing by 6 goals at the time.
Quote2.    Not having the appropriate  number of ball handlers during the game.   The home team is to have a ball hander on each side line during the course of the game.
This is a school issue, not a refereeing issue.  There is nothing a referee can do about it except make a note of it in their report.  I would guess that I had ball handlers in 1/2 to 2/3 of the games I worked, and everyone appreciated their help.
Quote3.    Not ensuring that all players have the proper equipment.     Correct length skin guards and correct boots. ( Football cleats, baseball cleats hurt)
This is shared responsibility between the coaches and the referee.  Before the coin toss the referee is supposed to ask the coaches if all of their players are legally and properly equipped.  The coaches invariably say yes.  If during the game a player is found to be illegally or improperly equipped, the coach is cautioned for the first offense and the player is cautioned for any subsequent offense.  Personally, for the most part I take the coaches at their word and do not try to closely examine each player.  I've caught a few earrings and necklaces, but I don't go measuring shin guards.
Quote4.    Having the proper number of officials.     There should be One center and Two ARS for conference games.    There where several games in which  there was only one AR.
Believe me when I say that almost all referees prefer to have a full crew of three rather than work solo or as a dual.  If you have fewer that three referees, it is because there were too few referees to cover all of the games on that day, or in the case of JV games the home school was unwilling/unable to pay for a full crew.
Quote5.    Fans need to understand that High School soccer does no abide by the same rules as club.    The biggest issue seems to be clock stoppage .    This occurs in HS but not at club level.
There are a few other differences between the rules for club and for HS soccer, but many of them affect clock management.  In soccer governed by the FIFA laws of the game the clock never stops, but the referee has the authority to add time that was lost during stoppages, delays, time wasting, etc.  In NFHS rules for high school, the scoreboard clock is the official time and the game is over when it reaches 0:00.  That said, the clock is stopped after goals, for PKs, for cards, and for lengthy injuries that require assistance from a coach/trainer.  The referee can also stop the clock in cases of blatant time wasting and can also have the clock operator correct the scoreboard clock if it is incorrect.
Quote6.    Properly marked field and size of fields.     Most football fields can be marked properly for soccer.    Yet, in state tourney it seemed that some of the fields lack size and goal dimensions seemed to be out of requirement.
Again this is a school/AAA issue rather than a refereeing issue.  If there are simple problems that can be corrected before the game (like a misplaced penalty spot or unanchored goals), the referee sees that they are corrected.  If there are marking problems that can't be easily corrected, the game is played anyway and the problems reported to AAA for future correction.  If the goals aren't anchored, the game doesn't start.  The authority to determine whether a field is playable resides with the home school AD during the regular season and a AAA representative (I think) during the playoffs BEFORE THE GAME STARTS.  Once the game starts, the authority of whether the field remains playable resides with the referee.  In practice, if the AD declares a crappy field as playable, the referee is unlikely to turn around a minute into the game and say it is not - especially if they ever want to work at that school again.
Quote7.    Every ref should be qualified to call the game.   Some of the games conference and state the AR< had a difficult time with the off sides call.    In one game there where over 20 off sides calls.
No one can argue with wanting all referees to be qualified to do their jobs on the field.  Exactly how you ensure that is a harder issue.  Just because a lot of offside calls are made doesn't mean that the referee crew doesn't understand offside.  It is more likely that it is the players that lack understanding of it.  Of course ARs can make mistakes, but >95% of the time they are in far better position to judge offside than anyone else at the field.
Quote8.   Allowing the winning team to Milk the clock.    Not sure what he rule is here.    There where a lot of game where over a minute was ticked off before ball was put in to play.   Most of this was a result of not having ball handlers, allowing goalie to lag or bagging ball before time ran out.
Some loss of time is inherent to the game, but the referee also has some tools to deal with excessive time wasting as I described above.

QuoteI also have a question Who is the Center Ref accountable too?   If a coach has a situation that is a clear violation of the rules and yet the center choose to ignore what is the recourse.   I know there is an appeal process but tis little good if the rules are applied arbitrary  at game time by the Center.    Does a coach have the right to decline to play if there are clear violation as stated above.
The referee is accountable to the referee assignor, the state rules interpreter, and ultimately to AAA.  If the coach has serious problems with the performance of the referee, there are official avenues to voice those concerns.  That said, the decisions of the referee regarding play during the game cannot be challenged or changed as far as I know.  Maybe if there was a clear misapplication of the rules (allowing a team to play with only six players, allowing a guy in a wig to play on the girls' team, etc.) the result could be changed, but not for normal decisions (fouls, cards, goal/no goal, etc.).  If a coach refuses to let his team play, the referee will either terminate or abandon the game and leave it to AAA to sort out.

QuoteThese where common issues through out the 4a 5a  and 6a.      Rules and guideline for the game must be adhered to in all games.  It is the responsibility of the Center Ref.  to apply all equally.   PS   I could be totally off sides with my interpretation of the rules.    Just some thoughts.

Thanks Arbitro, very thorough.  Looks like to me, the parents need the rules training - I sure do!!  Just when I think I know about a rule, I discover that I'm not 100% correct.

chaoslord

Speaking of rules, my favorite recent line was heard at a playoff game:

"REF, he can't play on the groud! It's in the rule book!"

Of course, there is no rule against that. How would slide tackles work otherwise? Anyway, long post later when I'm not phone posting.

mijally

As a center ref, how many times will you allow a defender to take down a midfielder sprinting with the ball from behind before you issue a yellow card?
A. Zero. It's a yellow the first time.
B. One. Give a warning the first time.
C. Five
D. Never. Its just a common foul and you can do it all day long

All of the center refs at Hope except 2 would answer A or B based on their calls this weekend. The other 2 would answer D. Those 2 refs games were ugly, full of fouls, chippiness, screaming and yelling fans and when the games were over they were escorted off the field. All the other games went just fine.

Bloodinthewater

I think the referees do an excellent job. The majority of the time when I hear fans cry its because:
1- They are playing a physically superior team that knows how to dish it out while playing the ball. They usually are whining because their team is retaliating without understanding the rules of engagement.
2-Offsides. Most parents in high school just dont understand the rule. Sure, Ive seen a close call missed either way, but cant you say that about any sport.

Most of the issues Ive seen that need to be addressed are school issues. For starters:
1-Ball Shaggers- We go to some schools that have none.  Ive watched our goalie chase balls that takes over a minute to retrieve and reset.
2-Hosting State tournaments in a cow pasture. El Dorado did bid 100% gate to AAA, just like Searcy did. A board decided to award the tournament to them.  It needs to be verified by a state official that they have a good place to play. There wasnt even a concession stand.

Sir Alex

The referees in Hope were a good mixed group of officials from all over the central and southern part of the state.  I know some of them were getting a bad rap but for the most part what I saw was good stuff.   

What was not good is showing up to a field and there are no player benches til right at game time, no water coolers til 10 minutes into the game, no ball people until 20 minutes in, a delay of the start of the game to cover exposed pipe ends, pulling up nails used to hold string to stripe the field during the entire first half of play, a field too short and narrow for state soccer, goals too small 7x24 that were changed out the second day for goals from another field, ball people that did not shag balls, paying twice to get in at two different venues and not one person from the hosting school greeting you or giving you any info regarding where to eat or stay.  There was a trainer somewhere just not sure where.  Great learning experience for Hope, I hope that they are given some feedback so that they know what to improve upon next time they bid to host.  The best and most entertaining of all was the cat fight as we were walking up to the gate to get into the game. 

Whoever said that the AAA needs to visit new sites, I would agree 100%.  In the end, there were some great games despite all the other hoopla. 

Go Postal

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 18, 2015, 09:19:37 pm
The referees in Hope were a good mixed group of officials from all over the central and southern part of the state.  I know some of them were getting a bad rap but for the most part what I saw was good stuff.   

What was not good is showing up to a field and there are no player benches til right at game time, no water coolers til 10 minutes into the game, no ball people until 20 minutes in, a delay of the start of the game to cover exposed pipe ends, pulling up nails used to hold string to stripe the field during the entire first half of play, a field too short and narrow for state soccer, goals too small 7x24 that were changed out the second day for goals from another field, ball people that did not shag balls, paying twice to get in at two different venues and not one person from the hosting school greeting you or giving you any info regarding where to eat or stay.  There was a trainer somewhere just not sure where.  Great learning experience for Hope, I hope that they are given some feedback so that they know what to improve upon next time they bid to host.  The best and most entertaining of all was the cat fight as we were walking up to the gate to get into the game. 

Whoever said that the AAA needs to visit new sites, I would agree 100%.  In the end, there were some great games despite all the other hoopla.
Dang, worst than playing at Huntsville's football field from the things that I read and heard.   ;)  What really gets me is that Harrison put in a bid for it's 5 grass fields and turf stadium perfect sites.  We didn't get it.  Hmmm...  AAA needs to visit new and all sites that put in bids.

Referees, love them or hate them.  They try to the best job that they can do.  I normally like to watch all high school sports with a open mind (I have no dog left in any sport fight, but I am a fan of high school sports), but there has been a few times where I yelled at the refs/team/coach on certain calls/not calls in soccer or other sports.  For instance, I remember in the playoffs when my son received a head to head contact from another team.  It was not called.  I didn't like it but that was fine, Harrison Boys/Girls plays physical plus with athletic skill and we expect other teams to do the same.
It is up to Refs to make the call.  Sometimes good, sometimes not as good in a game.  They do the best the can.

Intelligentsia

I watched 4 complete games and a portion of a couple more.  The officiating in two games was very good and two games mediocre.  The mediocre officiating was not one sided, just inconsistent.  I wish the AAA would host additional required regional trainings and provide officials a small stipend to attend. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas