• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

41st annual North Arkansas College Senior Girls Tournament

Started by Googlymoogly, November 21, 2014, 02:25:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Googlymoogly

November 21, 2014, 02:25:51 am Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:41:10 pm by Googlymoogly
Coaches met and seeded this year's version of the tournament. The field is not that strong this year. Can't see anyone beating Kingston for the title. Bergman girls have best shot. Anyway, here are the seeds:
    1. Kingston
    2. Bergman
    3. Jasper
    4. Western Grove
    5. Norfork
    6. Deer
    7. Viola
    8. Yellville-Summit
    9. Alpena
    10. Omaha
    11. St. Joe
    12. Cotter
    13. Bruno-Pyatt

And the schedule
Thursday Dec. 4, or early Saturday Dec. 6
Cotter vs. Bruno-pyatt

Saturday Dec. 6
Alpena vs. Yellville-Summit, 10:30 p.m.
Viola vs. Omaha, Noon
Deer vs. St. Joe, 1:30 p.m .
Norfork vs. the winner of the Cotter/Bruno-Pyatt game, 3 p.m.

Monday, Dec. 8
Jasper vs. Deer/St. Joe winner, 4 p.m.
Bergman vs. Viola/Omaha winner, 5:30 p.m.
Western Grove vs. Norfork/Cotter/Bruno-Pyatt winner, 7 p.m.
Kingston vs. Alpena/Yellville-Summit winner, 8:30 p.m.

Wednesday, Dec. 10
Cotter/Bruno-Pyatt loser vs. Deer/St. Joe loser, 6 p.m.
Yellville-Summit/Alpena loser vs. Viola/Omaha, 7:30 p.m.
*Other games could be added to this night if any of the top four seeds lose on Monday.

Thursday, Dec. 11
Semifinal, 6 p.m.
Semifinal, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Dec. 13
Third place, 6 p.m.
Championship, 7:30 p.m.

Moonshiner

So is there a true losers bracket, or just a 2 game guarantee?

Basketballfan13

FreeMoney

Moonshiner

They took their talents to South Beach...errr...elsewhere

lorettalynn

Moonshiner

lorettalynn

Don't know moonshiner if it will I remember before they had the pavilion one year they had it at marshall packed house every night

Moonshiner

Hopefully it will survive.  It's got to be one of the oldest tournaments in Arkansas.  Not the oldest but it's been around for 40 plus years. I think.  Googly will know for sure.

Googlymoogly

November 21, 2014, 03:40:02 pm #9 Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:03:08 am by Googlymoogly
I am pretty sure the Green Forest Holiday Tournament is older and I don't know when the NEA tournament started.
But as for a girls only tournament, the NorthArk tourney might just be the oldest in the state. This will be the 41st year of the event.
If NorthArk had a second gym, they would have a pure consolation bracket and I think they would try to put the girls and boys tournaments together and play at the same time.
As for Valley Springs, they opted to play in the Greenbrier tournament this year for both girls and boys, so yeah, the Tigers won't be in the NorthArk boys tournament in January either. And with the Valley people gone, that's going to hurt the crowds. Bergman will still bring a bunch, though.

Googlymoogly

I have learned that St. Joe is unable to play on that Saturday, so that's going to throw a wrench in the whole schedule. Don't know what the plan is now... stay tuned

BoxNOne

I think the NEA tournament is 60+ years old. Sadly, it too has went downhill lately IMO.

Googlymoogly

November 23, 2014, 02:10:21 am #12 Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:39:07 am by Googlymoogly
Quote from: BoxNOne on November 22, 2014, 01:15:31 pm
I think the NEA tournament is 60+ years old. Sadly, it too has went downhill lately IMO.
Looked it up, this year will be the 68th annual NEA Tournament. But I do want to know, has the NEA had a girls tournament in each and every one of those 68 years?

Also the Green Forest Holiday Tournament will have its 58th edition here in a couple of weeks. I think they added the girls tourney in either the late 70s or early 80s.

BoxNOne

The NEA has not always had a girls tournament. Not sure when the girls tourney began.

Googlymoogly

Quote from: BoxNOne on November 23, 2014, 08:14:12 am
The NEA has not always had a girls tournament. Not sure when the girls tourney began.
That's what I thought. NorthArk might just be the oldest girls' tournament in the state

Moonshiner

Googlymoogly

Googlymoogly

November 25, 2014, 11:23:26 pm #17 Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 12:56:04 am by Googlymoogly
Just when they thought they had finally set the opening round schedule of the tournament, Western Grove is currently down to four healthy players. The Lady Warriors did not have enough to play Kingston Tuesday night and are only scheduled for one game next week -- Tuesday at Deer -- before they would have to play in the NorthArk tourney the following Monday (Dec. 9). I don't know what is going to happen, but should know more next Monday after we get through the Thanksgiving holiday.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Googlymoogly on November 25, 2014, 11:23:26 pm
Just when they thought they had finally set the opening round schedule of the tournament, Western Grove is currently down to four healthy players. The Lady Warriors did not have enough to play Kingston Tuesday night and are only scheduled for one game next week -- Tuesday at Deer -- before they would have to play in the NorthArk tourney the following Monday (Dec. 9). I don't know what is going to happen, but should know more next Monday after we get through the Thanksgiving holiday.

Googly it may be irrelevant but I'm hearing that the girls at Western Grove have quit

Googlymoogly

Quote from: Moonshiner on November 21, 2014, 10:45:14 am
Hopefully it will survive.  It's got to be one of the oldest tournaments in Arkansas.  Not the oldest but it's been around for 40 plus years. I think.  Googly will know for sure.
The Dual State Tournament in Junction City will have its 83rd edition at the end of December and into January this season. They began play in 1932.. 1932!!! From what I have learned, this tournament featured over 50 teams at one time but is lucky to draw 5 or 6 now.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Googlymoogly on November 27, 2014, 02:29:41 am
Quote from: Moonshiner on November 21, 2014, 10:45:14 am
The Dual State Tournament in Junction City will have its 83rd edition at the end of December and into January this season. They began play in 1932.. 1932!!! From what I have learned, this tournament featured over 50 teams at one time but is lucky to draw 5 or 6 now.

That was 8..come on Googly I gave you good information! LoL

Googlymoogly

I guess since this thing has started I can update with the final scores so far:
Thursday's score
Cotter 48, Bruno-Pyatt 27
Friday's score
Viola 61, St. Joe 29
Saturday's scores
Deer 33, Omaha 31
Alpena 43, Yellville-Summit 31
Norfork 52, Cotter 26
Monday's schedule
Jasper vs. Deer, 4 p.m.
Bergman vs. Viola, 5:30 p.m.
Western Grove vs. Norfork, 7 p.m.
Kingston vs. Alpena, 8:30 p.m.

HorseFeathers

Moonshiner

Quote from: HF on December 06, 2014, 10:21:44 pm
Will anyone challenge Kingston in this tournament?

Doubtful. Although Alpena played them well in the Border Classic at Omaha through 3 quarters.

Googlymoogly

Quote from: Moonshiner on December 07, 2014, 12:50:03 pm

Doubtful. Although Alpena played them well in the Border Classic at Omaha through 3 quarters.
Here is a trivia question for all you NorthArk Girls Tournament fans out there, if the Kingston girls win this year's tournament it will be the third in a row for the Lady Yellowjackets. When was the last time a team won three straight at the Northark girls tourney?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Googlymoogly on December 07, 2014, 06:05:57 pm
Quote from: Moonshiner on December 07, 2014, 12:50:03 pm

Here is a trivia question for all you NorthArk Girls Tournament fans out there, if the Kingston girls win this year's tournament it will be the third in a row for the Lady Yellowjackets. When was the last time a team won three straight at the Northark girls tourney?

No idea...But I'd guess Valley Springs did it.

Googlymoogly

The answer is: none!! Kingston would be the first three-time champ.
There have been nine different repeat champs with Valley Springs and Bergman each doing it twice

J.D.

Quote from: Googlymoogly on December 07, 2014, 06:33:07 pm
There have been nine different repeat champs with Valley Springs and Bergman each doing it twice

Kingston's girls are really good.

However, I've got faith in Bergman's girls to stop Kingston. 

smalltowngirl

Googlymoogly

Googlymoogly

Second game
Bergman 66, Viola 38

And Western Grove is here and playing in case any one is wondering. They only have five players right now and three of those are freshmen.

Googlymoogly

Norfork 63, Western Grove 57

Freshman guard Callie Ray had 32 points to keep the Lady Warriors in it in the second half but eventually fouled out.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Googlymoogly on December 08, 2014, 08:50:53 pm

Freshman guard Callie Ray had 32 points to keep the Lady Warriors in it in the second half but eventually fouled out.

Heck of a game Especially from a freshman , Congrats on a great Game!!

smalltowngirl

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 08, 2014, 09:10:09 pm
Quote from: Googlymoogly on December 08, 2014, 08:50:53 pm

Heck of a game Especially from a freshman , Congrats on a great Game!!

She's a great little player!  If she keeps improving and working to get better she will have a bright future in basketball! 

Googlymoogly

December 08, 2014, 11:50:45 pm #34 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:04:11 am by Googlymoogly
Last game... Kingston 50, Alpena 29. Kingston led 25-5 after one quarter and 27-5 early in the second but just kind of put it in cruise control after that.

On Wednesday..
Omaha vs. Bruno-Pyatt, 6 p.m.
Yellville-Summit vs. St. Joe, 7:30 p.m.

A third consolation game will be added. Western Grove will play Cotter at either 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, moving those other two games back a half hour OR will be played at 4:30 p.m. Thursday
Since Western Grove was seeded fourth and had a first-round bye, they only got one game in, so to play two games, one other team had to come back to play and Cotter volunteered. I'm glad Callie Ray will get another chance at playing there.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: J.D. on December 08, 2014, 03:24:22 am
Quote from: Googlymoogly on December 07, 2014, 06:33:07 pm

Kingston's girls are really good.

However, I've got faith in Bergman's girls to stop Kingston. 
lol got to have faith in the underdogs ;)

Googlymoogly

It's consolation night at Pioneer Pavilion
First game
Omaha 37, Bruno-Pyatt 12. FINAL
(Yes, it was every bit as exciting as you think it was)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Googlymoogly on December 10, 2014, 07:22:43 pm
First game

I'm guessing the game ended a while ago, and you just now woke up and asked the guys at the scorers table so you could post an update :D

*No offense intended to the two teams that participated in the game.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: HF on December 10, 2014, 08:07:57 pm
First game

I'm guessing the game ended a while ago, and you just now woke up and asked the guys at the scorers table so you could post an update :D

Not true...he was actually officiating this game...i know he wasnt sleeping bc we were snap chatting each other throughout the game!

Googlymoogly

Yellville-Summit 50, St. Joe 37. Final on that one. Thus endeth consolation night

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on December 10, 2014, 08:13:27 pm
Quote from: HF on December 10, 2014, 08:07:57 pm
First game

Not true...he was actually officiating this game...i know he wasnt sleeping bc we were snap chatting each other throughout the game!

So....when he sent you a message, was it a picture of a possible foul asking for your advice?

Basketballfan13

Nope, he knows we don't foul so I wouldnt know what one is??? He was showing me that they were running my trade mark play...4 players stand and watch while the other one tries to go 1 on 5;)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on December 10, 2014, 09:05:12 pm
Nope, he knows we don't foul so I wouldnt know what one is??? He was showing me that they were running my trade mark play...4 players stand and watch while the other one tries to go 1 on 5;)

When did you start coaching in the NBA?

Basketballfan13

With the sixers this year...but Kobe likes my strategy so I might be a laker next year!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on December 10, 2014, 09:29:14 pm
With the sixers this year...but Kobe likes my strategy so I might be a laker next year!

Hey at least with the sixers you have no expectations...

As Far as Kobe and your offense goes...Sounds perfect

J.D.

Quote from: HF on December 10, 2014, 09:35:06 pm

Quit hating on Kobe. 

Basketballfan13

Quote from: HF on December 10, 2014, 09:35:06 pm

Too funny!

Googlymoogly

consolation game
Western Grove 67, Cotter 31
Callie Ray had 36, Kendall Humphrey 29 for Western Grove

Googlymoogly

Googlymoogly

Other semifinal
Kingston 54, Norfork 30. Final
Kingston led 32-6 after one quarter... pretty much all you need to know about that

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas