• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blue Devils

Started by BannerMountainMan, November 11, 2014, 09:33:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

Shirley has really surprised me this year, at the beginning of the year I thought that they would be more of a slow down get it to the post offense but it has turned out that it is all run and gun! very fun to watch.

Ballhearts

Agree they have some very unselfish guards and yes they are young right now but I see them only improving got a good big who is a sophomore a great shooter who is a sophmore nice point guard does good job getting to rim sophmore as well and a junior and senior . The senior is long can dunk well but has been struggling but that junior can make plays watched him play guy he made plays for everyone very unselfish they box and 1 him yet he still made huge plays to win it

BannerMountainMan

JoJo Owen is really quick and a great sixth man

Silky Johnson

I hope Bay and Shirley can play at some point. The past few games the teams that Bay have played have been playing really slow and stalling even with deficits. I'm ready for them to get out and run.

Ballhearts

I want them as the finals in state .. Would be great game

D6Bound

Didn't Armorel beat Shirley?

Silky Johnson

D6 I really don't know haha. I've asked that question myself a few times and have never gotten any response.

D6Bound

Lol I'm thinking Armorel won that game. Although I do understand it's the beginning of the season and Shirley is a young team that might need some time to mesh.

ballmember

Shirley depends on 8 people; 5 are sophomores, and that is what started the season. 5 that had never played senior basketball; a big difference than jr high. disappointing loss to Armorel, hope they play them again down the road.  What is important for Shirley is for those 5 to keep improving and the other 3 to pick it up a notch. see improvement already from 2 of them.  Hopefully the other one will also. 

What Shirley needs to be concerned with is how they finish in conference.  because REgionals will not be fun to match up against Wonderview; Nemo; Guy, the first game.   Shirley needs to finish 1st or 2d.  I still think Concord will be main competition.   Followed by Bradford and maybe Westside.   

ballmember

Silky, i do not think Shirley would provide Bay top competition at this point, maybe later; maybe even next year.   I think Class A boys is down a lot, from what i have seen and hear; however Shirley needs to worry about their conference and get positioned to be able to just get to state, which would be a big accomplishment for them.  11/18 play Concord at home and Shirley needs to win that, if not, may take a little longer.

FreeMoney

Easy BlueDevils y'all haven't even beat a good team yet and lost to a couple of mediocre teams. Calling it like it is. Class A boys can't get any more average than it is. So if that's ok then ok.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ballmember on November 11, 2014, 02:18:14 pm
Shirley depends on 8 people; 5 are sophomores, and that is what started the season. 5 that had never played senior basketball; a big difference than jr high. disappointing loss to Armorel, hope they play them again down the road.  What is important for Shirley is for those 5 to keep improving and the other 3 to pick it up a notch. see improvement already from 2 of them.  Hopefully the other one will also. 

What Shirley needs to be concerned with is how they finish in conference.  because REgionals will not be fun to match up against Wonderview; Nemo; Guy, the first game.   Shirley needs to finish 1st or 2d.  I still think Concord will be main competition.   Followed by Bradford and maybe Westside.   

Wonderview---Top 3 team
Nemo----Eh...if you can't beat them you are not a true contender...they're solid but nothing special, a bad Southside team gave them all they wanted at home the other night
Guy---...not even relevant in their own conference anymore..

FreeMoney

Wonderview good because Class A is beyond bad? Watch Guy Mt. Vernon and Nemo Vista give it a good go come February. All three gave Wonderview all they wanted late last year and will take a little time to get there again. Good talent good coaches.

Malde

Quote from: ballmember on November 11, 2014, 02:18:14 pm

Concord will not be the main competition in that conference. Bradford is decent and beat Concord by 44 on their home floor last night. Bradford has lost to White County Central twice and ICC.

ballmember

Was all of Concord starters there?  Was Richardson playing?   No knock on Bradford but 44 ??????????

Catfish

Quote from: ballmember on November 14, 2014, 10:16:31 pm
Was all of Concord starters there?  Was Richardson playing?   No knock on Bradford but 44 ??????????

Yes all starters were there.

arstatechamp13

Wasn't at the game. But I heard that Concord played really bad. And a kid from Bradford was 8/10 from beyond the arc and Concord was told he was a non-player. Still it's ridiculous to lose by that much at home. But Concord gets better everytime I watch them. Watch for them to finish a lot stronger than they started

Catfish

Quote from: arstatechamp13 on November 15, 2014, 11:50:54 am
Wasn't at the game. But I heard that Concord played really bad. And a kid from Bradford was 8/10 from beyond the arc and Concord was told he was a non-player. Still it's ridiculous to lose by that much at home. But Concord gets better everytime I watch them. Watch for them to finish a lot stronger than they started

Agreed

BannerMountainMan

Shirley beat Concord the other night, have a feeling they will win their conference

ballmember

Will know more about conference leaders after Friday nite.   Shirley goes to Bradford and Concord goes to Greers Ferry Westside.  Road games are much harder to win.   

Catfish

The conference just isn't very good this year. I think anybody could beat anybody in this conference. Shirley beat Concord the other night, but Concord could have easily won. Shirley has a 10th grade post player that's really good, and a good shooter, but other than that they don't have much. I'm not saying they're a bad team, I'm just saying anyone could win. Shirley's other 3 starters need to improve and then they would be really hard to beat. Not quite there yet.

FreeMoney

I agree with most of the previous post. But listen just change the names and apply it to any other conference in Arkansas in Class A. I consider myself a purist and I like good hard nosed action and while I like watching kids compete I have been very disappointed this year. Like someone said -- it's a great year to be average

ballmember

Over the years I have noticed High School Basketball Class A changing.  Just like the rural communities are changing.   Too many other opportunities for kids rather than stay at a class a school.  With consolidation probably not as many good players at the Class A level.   I hear so much going somewhere to play football; going somewhere to play baseball, etc.   

I know some very good class a coaches, however not near as many as i knew 10, 20, 30 , 40, 50 years ago, plus so many more schools let the board, parents, etc basically run the programs.  Once upon a time the coach ran the program-not the mamas and papas.   

After saying all that , it is still the classification that i prefer watching, i go as often as possible and love high school basketball.   Once we start into January and end in March basketball doesnt get any better.

arstatechamp13

Go back 3, 4, and 5 years and you've got a lot better quality even. But it'll takes an upswing I'm sure. Lot of young teams out there.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ballmember on November 20, 2014, 07:06:46 pm
Over the years I have noticed High School Basketball Class A changing.  Just like the rural communities are changing.   Too many other opportunities for kids rather than stay at a class a school.  With consolidation probably not as many good players at the Class A level.   I hear so much going somewhere to play football; going somewhere to play baseball, etc.   

I know some very good class a coaches, however not near as many as i knew 10, 20, 30 , 40, 50 years ago, plus so many more schools let the board, parents, etc basically run the programs.  Once upon a time the coach ran the program-not the mamas and papas.   

After saying all that , it is still the classification that i prefer watching, i go as often as possible and love high school basketball.   Once we start into January and end in March basketball doesnt get any better.

The class A schools seem to have better crowds....Well some of them do :D

ballmember

Class A schools that have much following are very vocal.  Also, i think they do have the best following and the most pride in their teams from fans.    I have noticed some 3A and 4A  that really struggle attracting crowds.   Also, many people go to Class A games, that have no association with that particular school, maybe I notice because i am one of them.    Love Class A basketball.   The week of Class A State Tournament basketball to decide who goes to Hot Springs,  is simply the best!! 

Anyone know who may apply for the state tourney this year?   I heard-rumor- that ICC was.  That is a great place to watch games.   Any others????

FreeMoney

Please not ICC. Please

ballmember

I like ICC gym and the atmosphere when a full house.   Would be a good state tourney site.  Nothing compares with Bradley for a not good state tourney site. I liked it at Hillcrest and Greers Ferry.  Hope it stays in nort part of state.   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ballmember on November 26, 2014, 07:19:06 pm
I like ICC gym and the atmosphere when a full house.   Would be a good state tourney site.  Nothing compares with Bradley for a not good state tourney site. I liked it at Hillcrest and Greers Ferry.  Hope it stays in nort part of state.   

Sooo...Bradley in a town, decently sized gym(a bit on the small side)...Fast Food Joints within 20 minute drive....ICC in the middle of the freaking woods on a road sickness inducing highway...What exactly makes it a better site again?

From ICC to Batesville 47 minutes...ICC to Mountain View--50 minutes...Guessing those are the only 2 towns with Hotels to accommodate a state tournament within a reasonable drive? At Least Bradley was a terrible drive for everybody....

Personally I hated the idea of Bradley hosting state...Then as a non-biased fan made the 4+ hr drive down there, and enjoyed myself that day, was a great atmosphere and had nothing to complain about other than no cell phone reception....Even got to hear some fans booing the refs for calls that were going there way because even they thought they were terrible :D

ballmember

ONly a small convenience store in Bradley; I think now that most Class A schools are now located in north half of state; ICC is 7 miles to Melbourne; 13 to Calico Rock; 19 to Salem; 16 to Horseshoe Bend; which all have some lodging.  And most important ICC concession stand( which is all a true ball fan needs) is much better than  Bradleys!!!!!!!!!!!

However, after saying all this I think the state tourney will go back south to Magnolia, SAU, with Nevada or Emerson hosting.   

Best place is Greers Ferry Westside.  Best gym in Class A, however the atmosphere during games is much better at ICC; and the best atmosphere i ever saw at State tourney was at Calico Rock!!

BannerMountainMan

Wonder if Shirley can get it done tonight against Clinton?

Basketballfan13

The biggest difference between a school like ICC and Bradley hosting state is the atmosphere. Even though ICC is in the middle of nowhere there are more people in the northern part of the state willing to travel 1-2 hours to go watch good basketball even if they do not have anyone playing than you would find in the southern part of the state.

FreeMoney

Come on Westside!! Man up and get this done

arstatechamp13

Well Westside isn't in the south either. I'd say it's a little more centralized

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas