• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 3A State Championship(BOYS): Episcopal Collegiate vs. Charleston(VOTE)

Started by Brian G, March 11, 2014, 05:37:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins?

Episcopal Coll
67 (63.8%)
Charleston
38 (36.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: March 14, 2014, 06:55:38 pm

TigerDog

Quote from: bigbuckb on March 12, 2014, 11:44:20 am
I have heard allot about the Charleston politics but didn't give it any merit because I've never witnessed it. But I have now!! No one in that area likes Charleston. People I've never met told countless stories of the arrogance of the school and the community. Wow! Lots of
Drama up there!! Glad I am far removed from that!! I'm neither a jerk or a loser. I have been around basketball for over 30 years. It is what it is. And even the administrator of this pidly little thread is biased. I don't care if you block me. This is my last post  it's highschool sports. It's not a life shattering community achievements to hang signs on how many championships the school has won but the reflection of the community should be how it serves the people living there and visitors. Charleston is hated by everyone but te people hanging the signs. Pathetic and reprehensible.

Thank goodness that was your last post. Your whining was about to drive me over the edge. Now you can leave this thread for the fans of high school basketball to discuss the 2 "BEST" teams in the States match up this Saturday. You say it is "just" high school sports but your little pea brain isn't smart enough to watch a basketball tournament and use an open mind to what you are seeing. Your son is a very good basketball player and I am beginning to understand why he reacts the way he does on the court every time someone breathes on him. He has listened to his daddy tell him he did not get beat....he got cheated. It isn't his fault...it is someone else's. His team is better...but somehow the other team won. Did you see how Matthew reacted when he was mugged? Heck, he had his eye cut open on a drive to the lane that did not draw a foul. No whining. No moaning. No faces. He just plays basketball. Works hard and gets it done. Quit taking away from your son and his team's great season by your lack of character and sportsmanship. BHG would not beat Charleston if they played 10 times. I am not from Charleston by the way. I moved here last year and one of the reasons I did is because they have a tremendous community and school system. They hosted a fabulous tournament and not everyone hates them. Good luck to your son in the future. Just relax and have some fun. Sometimes the other team just outplays you....

TigerDog

Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on March 12, 2014, 12:21:17 pm
I try to support my 3A-5 posters, but I can't side with big buck on this one. Let's all face it: Referees on all levels will make mistakes; referees are human beings and sometimes they don't see things others do. Saying referees blow the game is a classic excuse for a loss. Hold your head up high, and be proud of what your team accomplished rather than bringing down the team that ended your great little run. Celebrate the year, don't bash the referees!

+1

-Painted Fan-

Are you honestly going to take the opinion of someone from Paris with a grain of salt?
You aren't the brightest crayon in the box, are you?
That's the equivalent of asking an OU fan their opinion of the Texas Longhorns.

adaptedtigerfan

I am not a bball poster at all..  I can't stand bball but what else are you gonna watch in March?

But this Buck guy is way off the charts when he talks about people from Charleston being hated.....

I too am not from Charleston.. Although we chose to live in Charleston instead of Greenwood when my son was in the 4th grade...  Because he wanted to play football for Charleston... (Best decision ever). When I was in school (bball only school) the ones who "hated" Charleston people were the ones who's "team" was getting beat all the time..

So in a sense yes.... Everyone hates Charleston because everyone hates to lose.  I have no dog in the fight Saturday but I will pick CHS by 5.  I think the boys still have a bad taste in their mouth from last year.

I'm out!!!

cdelaney

Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on March 12, 2014, 12:21:17 pm
I try to support my 3A-5 posters, but I can't side with big buck on this one. Let's all face it: Referees on all levels will make mistakes; referees are human beings and sometimes they don't see things others do. Saying referees blow the game is a classic excuse for a loss. Hold your head up high, and be proud of what your team accomplished rather than bringing down the team that ended your great little run. Celebrate the year, don't bash the referees!
Agree Grampa; I saw no evidence of any bias in the games I saw in Charleston, and some ECS fans stayed to watch the Chuck-BHG game and thought it was called fairly. Being a basketball ref is very difficult, and they do miss some calls. But I haven't seen a ref I thought was "biased" in a long time. Sometimes they seem to get a little bent out of shape by a coach or player, and make calls in response to that, which isn't good; and sometimes they decide to be the center of attention, which is horrible. But not biased, and they almost never affect the outcome of a game.
BigBuck is a very passionate believer in BHG, and is a homer even by FF standards!- but he should be proud of the team and his son- they improved a lot this year- and move on. And his prediction of an ECS blowout is NOT a reflection of how the ECS fanbase thinks about this game. I think this is an even matchup, with each team having its own advantages, should be a great one just like last year- down to the last second.

YC

Quote from: TigerDog on March 12, 2014, 12:30:01 pm
I have heard allot about the Charleston politics but didn't give it any merit because I've never witnessed it. But I have now!! No one in that area likes Charleston. People I've never met told countless stories of the arrogance of the school and the community. Wow! Lots of
Drama up there!! Glad I am far removed from that!! I'm neither a jerk or a loser. I have been around basketball for over 30 years. It is what it is. And even the administrator of this pidly little thread is biased. I don't care if you block me. This is my last post  it's highschool sports. It's not a life shattering community achievements to hang signs on how many championships the school has won but the reflection of the community should be how it serves the people living there and visitors. Charleston is hated by everyone but te people hanging the signs. Pathetic and reprehensible.

Thank goodness that was your last post. Your whining was about to drive me over the edge. Now you can leave this thread for the fans of high school basketball to discuss the 2 "BEST" teams in the States match up this Saturday. You say it is "just" high school sports but your little pea brain isn't smart enough to watch a basketball tournament and use an open mind to what you are seeing. Your son is a very good basketball player and I am beginning to understand why he reacts the way he does on the court every time someone breathes on him. He has listened to his daddy tell him he did not get beat....he got cheated. It isn't his fault...it is someone else's. His team is better...but somehow the other team won. Did you see how Matthew reacted when he was mugged? Heck, he had his eye cut open on a drive to the lane that did not draw a foul. No whining. No moaning. No faces. He just plays basketball. Works hard and gets it done. Quit taking away from your son and his team's great season by your lack of character and sportsmanship. BHG would not beat Charleston if they played 10 times. I am not from Charleston by the way. I moved here last year and one of the reasons I did is because they have a tremendous community and school system. They hosted a fabulous tournament and not everyone hates them. Good luck to your son in the future. Just relax and have some fun. Sometimes the other team just outplays you....

Thank you for this post TigerDog. I've been on this board for eleven years (with various user names) and this is one of the best I've seen over the years. Classless and sore losers get me upset quicker than anything else. I typed out a response but yours is so close to the one I typed I decided to not post mine. I totally agree with everything you and others said.

You and your family is a great addition to this community.   

neds

Sorry for the story lines on the thread. I feel it takes
away from the game on Saturday.
My two cents on the game , 5 pts or so.
Episcopal Collegiate of Little Rock

chuckBB

Quote from: BananaHands501 on March 12, 2014, 11:46:02 am
The only sport ECS will embarrass Charleston in is quiz bowl. Maybe golf and tennis.
If they have quiz bowl against ECS, I am sure Matthew Ward will be there to compete. Ha Ha!

BananaHands501

How about we have 36 against 36. 12th man versus Ben Winter. Quiz Bowl match of the year.

Brian G

Brian G

And even the administrator of this pidly little thread is biased. I don't care if you block me.
Consider it done.  Bias to Charleston from me?  Laughable.  Just a week ago a Charleston poster claimed I was biased against them.  I think that speaks for itself.

This is my last post

Correct.

Hogwild#9

Quote from: ChucktownCPA on March 12, 2014, 11:34:50 am
Quote from: bigbuckb on March 12, 2014, 10:35:19 am
It's going to be a boring game. ECS by 20 or more. It will depend on how bad ECS wants to embarrass Charleston. Charleston didn't earn this spot they should have lost to Mayflower and BHG. It's completely unethical to allow a team in the tourney to host it. It is painfully obvious that Carlesston was goin to the ship from the day they were granted the bid to host the tourney. I'm not a sore loser. I'm just being completely honest. ECS will prove my point when the whole state sees just how our matched Charleston is against a great team.

Punisher and 12th Man CHS, this post was so pathetic, it did not deserve a response.

Charleston is used to being accused of cheating to win. We should rise above it and ignore those types of posts while we continue to win Conference, Regional, and even State Championships. We are a sports oriented town but there are many of us that believe academics are also important. In 2012 I was watching the local news make a big deal over a girl in Fayetteville making a perfect score of 36 on the ACT. In 2013, a Charleston student(and FF poster) made a 36 but I never saw a news story about it.  We like to do great things in Charleston and yes, we have people who embarrass us with posts on here but overall, we like to win and most of us make an attempt to be intelligent. Call us cheaters, unethical, snobs, or whatever makes you feel better because we will continue to roll despite it.  BTW - If bigbuckb is a Mayflower fan, I recall we gave Mayflower the props in 2008 after the football season ended. After EVERYONE in the state was watching Ft Lake order their championship rings only to see Charleston beat them by 27 points, it was pointed out by many Charleston fans that Mayflower was the toughest opponent  that year.  See, it's not that hard to say something nice.
BigBuckB is a BHG fan. Mayflower fans did not complain one bit but was impressed by the tournament that Charleston put on. It was a well ran tournament. I also think the Mayflower Charleston game in 08 was the championship. I was shocked when we got beat.... I really thought that was our year! Once again I was impressed with the way y'all ran things

centralarfan

Episcopal without a doubt. They will control the game from start to finish.

Raiderville

Quote from: BananaHands501 on March 11, 2014, 06:59:02 pm
We have predicted this all season. Rematch from last year. Charleston  seems to have struggled against 3a-5 opponents using Ward to bail them out. Going to be a lot of fun to watch. To me this is ECS biggest test since NLR.

How did the North Little Rock game go ?? Would of loved to watch that one! I havnt seen charleston play but to me they better have a deep bench and disipline to play with ECS!!

cdelaney

Quote from: Raiderville on March 12, 2014, 04:15:22 pm
Quote from: BananaHands501 on March 11, 2014, 06:59:02 pm
We have predicted this all season. Rematch from last year. Charleston  seems to have struggled against 3a-5 opponents using Ward to bail them out. Going to be a lot of fun to watch. To me this is ECS biggest test since NLR.

How did the North Little Rock game go ?? Would of loved to watch that one! I havnt seen charleston play but to me they better have a deep bench and disipline to play with ECS!!
NLR won by 1 pt on a bucket with about 4 seconds left. Very good game.

WPWells

I'll stick to my statement that I believe Charleston will be the toughest team ECS will play this year besides NLR

MA

Not from Charleston. Come from a town that has always had a pretty big distance rivalry with Charleston. They have beaten us sometimes (not many)  we have beaten them (a lot)..... Lol....  I have never met a person from Charleston that I didn't think was a stand up human being. I have never been to a sporting even there and felt cheated. I know a ton of people in Charleston and have been in contact with the town and it's people on numerous occasions. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about them. It's truly a great place to be and a great school district ran by great people. I'm rooting for Charleston on Saturday. Bummed I can't be there.

All that being said.... I have seen both teams this season...

I think Matthew Ward will be the best player on the court. I think ECS will be the best team.

ECS by 6.

cdelaney

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 12, 2014, 04:32:49 pm
I'll stick to my statement that I believe Charleston will be the toughest team ECS will play this year besides NLR
No doubt about that

unleasheddad

I, like adaptedtigerfan, am not from Charleston originally. I moved in several years ago and really liked the community and the school system and stayed. My two girls played sports here from elementary school through graduation. Not only did they excel on the athletic courts and fields, they also excelled in the classroom and throughout college as well. They are both very well educated professionals now. The citizens of Charleston have come to expect high levels of achievement in the classroom and in all extracurricular activities. I am proud to be a Tiger. Lots of folks from Paris, Lavaca, Ozark, Booneville, and the surrounding towns know me and we all get along very well. There are a few folks that hate Charleston, and most of that was passed down from their parents who played against CHS back in the day. If you came to CHS for the State tournament, you more than likely talked to me at one time or another and I enjoyed meeting and chatting with you all. I was really impressed with the the Episcopal fans and parents and BHG parents and students. Total respect! EStem, if I had another school age child, I would not hesitate applying to your school. You have an outstanding group of students and parents, and your expectations for success is unbelievable! Keep up the good work. I hope both CHS and Episcopal play up to their potentials. It should be a good game between two excellent programs. EStem and Harding ladies, good luck to the both of you as well. Both schools exhibit a lot of class and play hard on the court.  With all this said, GO TIGERS, lets win this one!

ATU

I have watched Chs about 6 times during the year and 3 times during the state.ESC was the best team that i seen play last week and should win by 15.But don't count out Charleston These kids are winners in BB and football and Baseball and they will play hard and expect to win.

DogsWin7

The only sport ECS will embarrass Charleston in is quiz bowl. Maybe golf and tennis.

Charleston would embarrass ECS even in quiz bowl.   

Charleston wins. 

-Painted Fan-

Tennis...probably.
I don't know a soul in town that plays tennis.
But I don't think ECS wants any part of Charleston on the greens- especially Girls Golf.
How many schools at the 3A level have someone on the team that will play at the next level?

WPWells

Neither team has lost to a 3A team or lower with their entire team either

BananaHands501

Pastureboy21

After watching Charleston struggle with the half court pressure that BHG was putting on them, I think that they will struggle against an ECS press, if they press at all

johnharrison

The ECS press is so good it is scary.

When they drop into it without warning I've seen 6 or 8 points scored before the other team adjusts.

Paperman

Overall I would say officiating has been pretty solid in the post-season. The games I have seen were not decided by the officials, but by the players. While the officials seemed to make every call against the Rivercrest boys last Saturday, they did not cost RHS the game. The players did not perform to the best of their abilities and that was the difference. Officials get far too much blame at times for outcomes of games. Having officiated myself for more than two decades, I can say I appreciate the effort and sacrifice these men and women make. They rarely get any credit for doing a good job, but are always criticized for one team or the other losing. I think overall they do a good job and I can assure you that they don't care who wins any game. They are there to do their jobs.

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 12, 2014, 08:38:31 pm

Charleston would embarrass ECS even in quiz bowl.   

Charleston wins.
Not so fast about the quizbowl prediction Diehard, the QuizCats are quite the impressive bunch

WPWells

I wish we had a real quiz bowl team at Charleston. We dominated quiz bowl at events like Beta convention

WPWells

Charleston wins by 50

Okay maybe not but would someone please get mad so that we can have some fun tomorrow?

WPWells

WPWells

Here's my view on position matchups for the starters on each team

Kelvin Robinson vs. Taylor King
Advantage: ECS
Robinson is a slasher who can get to the rim any time he wants and scores a lot of the points for ECS. King is a solid point guard for Charleston who is strong and doesn't make many mistakes, but he's not really a scoring threat

Mahlon Martin vs. Chance Shelby
Martin (in my opinion) will be the second-best player on the court Saturday. It will be interesting to see how much Shelby is able to slow him down

Allie Freeman vs. Matthew Ward
Advantage: Charleston
Matthew Ward will be the best player on the court, but I think that the game will be decided here. Just how much better will he be than Freeman?

William Pollock vs. Ty Storey
Advantage: Even
Pollock is an awesome shooter and is another weapon for ECS on the perimeter. He'll be hard for Storey to match up with on the defensive end because of his ability to play inside out. Storey (from what I've seen) is stronger and more willing to bang around inside. Side note: this matchup is fun because these were arguably the two best quarterbacks in the 3A this year

Justin Gooseberry vs. Andrew Smith
Smith is coming off of a huge game against BHG where he dominated the paint and basically shut down Burchfield for BHG. Gooseberry does just enough to give ECS an inside presence

Bench: Cori Gooseberry for ECS and Hayden Newhart and Brandon Fenner for Charleston
Advantage: (slight) Charleston
The advantage here goes to Charleston because of the fact that Fenner adds another dimension to the Charleston offense when he's in. He gives the opponent someone else they have to respect

Coaching: Micah Marsh vs. BJ Ross
Advantage: (slight) ECS
Marsh is one of the best in the business when it comes to X's and O's. That's why I give him a slight nod. Both coaches should be commended though for the job they've done with their teams this year!

In conclusion, I think this could possibly be the best game of state championship weekend. I'll stick to my pick of Charleston by 5

Feel free to add anything you wish!

WildcatGrandpa13

Very good in-depth match ups, but Freeman guarding Ward? I don't see it. A 6'3 kid matching up with a 5'10 (maybe 5'11) kid is a mismatch in of itself, without factoring it skill set. I see Robinson guarding Ward and Freeman guarding Taylor King, but that is just my opinion.

cdelaney

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 13, 2014, 11:29:59 pm
Here's my view on position matchups for the starters on each team

Kelvin Robinson vs. Taylor King
Robinson is a slasher who can get to the rim any time he wants and scores a lot of the points for ECS. King is a solid point guard for Charleston who is strong and doesn't make many mistakes, but he's not really a scoring threat

Mahlon Martin vs. Chance Shelby
Martin (in my opinion) will be the second-best player on the court Saturday. It will be interesting to see how much Shelby is able to slow him down

Allie Freeman vs. Matthew Ward
Matthew Ward will be the best player on the court, but I think that the game will be decided here. Just how much better will he be than Freeman?

William Pollock vs. Ty Storey
Advantage: Even
Pollock is an awesome shooter and is another weapon for ECS on the perimeter. He'll be hard for Storey to match up with on the defensive end because of his ability to play inside out. Storey (from what I've seen) is stronger and more willing to bang around inside. Side note: this matchup is fun because these were arguably the two best quarterbacks in the 3A this year

Justin Gooseberry vs. Andrew Smith
Smith is coming off of a huge game against BHG where he dominated the paint and basically shut down Burchfield for BHG. Gooseberry does just enough to give ECS an inside presence

Bench: Cori Gooseberry for ECS and Hayden Newhart and Brandon Fenner for Charleston
Advantage: (slight) Charleston
The advantage here goes to Charleston because of the fact that Fenner adds another dimension to the Charleston offense when he's in. He gives the opponent someone else they have to respect

Coaching: Micah Marsh vs. BJ Ross
Advantage: (slight) ECS
Marsh is one of the best in the business when it comes to X's and O's. That's why I give him a slight nod. Both coaches should be commended though for the job they've done with their teams this year!

In conclusion, I think this could possibly be the best game of state championship weekend. I'll stick to my pick of Charleston by 5

Feel free to add anything you wish!
Great analysis. A few comments. I can't see Freeman guarding Ward. Probably Robinson or Martin, then Pollock when both Geese are in the game. I think Martin will be the best "player" on the court, Ward the best offensive player/scorer. Martin does so much on both ends, runs the team, hits the key buckets when he has to, makes few mistakes. Just my opinion. Ward will get his 25+, he was the best offensive play ECS has faced over past two seasons.

I think the game boils down to a few factors, besides the obvious one of hot shooting:
1) Foul trouble- neither team can afford to have key players lose many minutes with fouls; I hope the refs let them play
2) Contributions of Charlestons "role" players- will guys besides Ward and Smith step up and hit big buckets, especially 3's
3) Will ECS's pressure defense, full or half court, disrupt Charleston's offense and also lead to some easy baskets

In the end, I think ECS has more weapons, will pull out a close one.

BananaHands501

It's going to be game for the ages. Pollock vs. Storey is going to be a great matchup. QB vs. QB. Last year ECS did not have Robinson, so I wonder how big of a factor he will be when they play this time around.

MA

I would pay a large lump sum to be there tomorrow. Gonna be a great one.

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: krik6 on March 14, 2014, 11:38:05 am
I would pay a large lump sum to be there tomorrow. Gonna be a great one.
Where you gonna be krik?

MA

Lions84

neds

DogsWin7

Some of my family went down Thursday!   Go Charleston!  Cheer loud Girls! ;)

Rebel82

WildcatGrandpa13

Game day boys! The whole season has led up to this moment! Can't wait for 12:45...a game for the ages

neds

12th are you there?   Any pre game jitters?  I heard Ward tweaked an ankle.

WPWells

I'm here and I think you're just hearing rumors. Fearless Friday posters don't decide the game so it's not us that you need to psych out

KOJACK

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 15, 2014, 11:21:08 am
I'm here and I think you're just hearing rumors. Fearless Friday posters don't decide the game so it's not us that you need to psych out
Good luck Chucktown. I'll be cheering in P-Town.

Brian G

ECS 8-2 midway through the first.  Ward is being face guarded full court and is 0-3 to start.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas