• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseball Hogs

Started by RHS, March 08, 2008, 12:01:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RHS

They won again today, 14-5, over Siena. Weak opponent I know, but Aaron Murphree hit 3 homers to give him 10 through 10 games, including one that cleared the monster wall in center field. He's hit eight in the last four games and five home runs in the last three games.

Hopefully he keeps it up.

WBF †

Quote from: RHS on March 08, 2008, 12:01:46 am
They won again today, 14-5, over Siena. Weak opponent I know, but Aaron Murphree hit 3 homers to give him 10 through 10 games, including one that cleared the monster wall in center field. He's hit eight in the last four games and five home runs in the last three games.

Hopefully he keeps it up.

That's nasty. Where's he from?

RHS

No idea, but he was a juco transfer last year. Now a senior.

WBF †

Quote from: RHS on March 08, 2008, 12:21:57 am
I was guessing out of state. Looks like a good pickup for 'em. They have any dominant pitchers this year like Schmidt of last year? sp

ahoycorey

Quote from: WBF † on March 08, 2008, 12:23:17 am
Quote from: RHS on March 08, 2008, 12:21:57 am
I was guessing out of state. Looks like a good pickup for 'em. They have any dominant pitchers this year like Schmidt of last year? sp
He went to Weatherford High School and Northeast Texas Community College before transferring to Arkansas.

B&GT

There are no dominant pitchers so far.  All of them graduated or went pro.  Murphree never played last year, but has exploded so far this year.  The single season HR record is 24, and he's almost half way there already.  Arkansas' strength will be the bats this year.  Looks ike they're gonna have to out hit people a lot this year.  That won't fly in the SEC.  It'll more than likely be a down year.

lostowl

10 home runs is 10 games is very impressive.  Gonna be hard to keep that pace up!  I think when you get into the SEC you'll get a better picture, scouting reports get better, people learn a lot more about hitters strengths and pitch away from them.  Pitching will be ten times better.

dc24

Wow 10 home runs already.  What's the Hog's record right now?

Texarkana_Piggie

he hit the 11th today.  hogs up 3-0- in fifth i think.

Texarkana_Piggie

hogs won 17-2.  had a 12 run 7th inning

RHS

Quote from: WBF † on March 08, 2008, 12:23:17 amThey have any dominant pitchers this year like Schmidt of last year? sp

Someone else already said it, but nobody close to Schmidt. Nobody even close to Todd or the other guy either. Listening to DVH and also Rick and Chuck, it sounds like the strength of the pitching is in our middle relievers.

B&GT

Quote from: dc24 on March 08, 2008, 01:57:32 pm
Wow 10 home runs already.  What's the Hog's record right now?

After today's game, the hogs are 10-1.  They've scored 64 runs in their last 4 games.  I question the competition in those games, but Arkansas has beat some decent teams this year.  It starts getting hard on Tuesday, when the hogs travel to Arizona St. for two games.  ASU is ranked #1 in the nation in several polls.  I'm hoping for a split.

RHS

These next 10 games will tell us about the Hogs. 2 against ASU, then home for a series with Georgia, than @ Nebraska for 2 and @ LSU for 3.

B&GT

ASU obviously is very good.  Gerogia is looking pretty good as well.  I wouldn't normally say that of a team that is 4-4, but they lost 2 of 3 to ASU and the two time defending national champions, Oregon St.  That's nothign to be ashamed of, especially early in the season.  It's hard to tell what they'll be like.  How we fare against ASU will help.  Nebraska is sitting at 6-2, but their competition has not been as good as the hogs.  They dropped both of their losses to Stanford, and got one win from them as well.  Stanford is the only good team they've played.  They've had a lot of trouble with weather and have also played fewer games than the hogs.  They will have another week of games under their belt by the time we play them, and it's at Nebraska, which is in their favor.  LSU is not as good as they were.  They're 9-1 this season, and Arkansas has played multiple teams that are better than anybody LSU has faced.  Their only loss was 7-6 to Indiana, which should never have happened, but that's baseball.  But, even if LSU is awful, you fear going to their place.  It will bw tough, no doubt, because the hogs are most likely not up to their usual standards either.  In other words, this stretch is not death row, but I think it play a huge part in defining who the hogs are this year.

AF&B

How many ranked team are in the SEC....5? We are next in line for the top 25 with 84 votes. Once again SEC power

dc24

Quote from: RHS on March 08, 2008, 11:27:09 pm
These next 10 games will tell us about the Hogs. 2 against ASU, then home for a series with Georgia, than @ Nebraska for 2 and @ LSU for 3.

Wow, that's a rough stretch.

Footballer

Murphree went deep again today.

WBF †

Quote from: dc24 on March 09, 2008, 04:48:43 pm
Quote from: RHS on March 08, 2008, 11:27:09 pm

Wow, that's a rough stretch.

I was thinking the same thing!

bulldogs1159

AB™

I was listening to the game Sunday afternoon on my way to work and luckily got to hear Murphree's at bat.  I thought to myself surely he won't got deep AGAIN.  Not even 10 seconds later Chuck Barret raised his voice and made the call as the ball cleared the fences.  I hoenstly couldn't help but laugh.  I mean that gave him 12 homers in 12 games.  I don't know if the guy is ligit, because the level of competition is a little questionable thus far, but that is still amazing.

B&GT

Since Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings time, the 6:30 start at ASU will be 8:30 here.  That's too long to wait.  I really hope they can split this series.  That would be an overall victory. 

RHS

Quote from: B&GT on March 11, 2008, 02:50:14 pm
Since Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings time, the 6:30 start at ASU will be 8:30 here.  That's too long to wait.  I really hope they can split this series.  That would be an overall victory. 

Gotta love Arizona. Parts of the year they are in the Mt West time zone and other parts they are on Pacific time.

Also, Hogs moved into one top 25 poll, making their debut at #21.

B&GT

I just got wonderful news.  ASU will be throwing their #1 against us tonight. We'll be starting Eibner.  He's been very good and very bad so far this season.  He's a freshman though.  We'll be starting a freshman tomorrow, too.  Either James Mahler or Kendall Korbal.

The pitcher for ASU, Mike Leake, is 3-0, with a 2.41 ERA.
Eibner - 2-0, 6.00
Mahler - 1-0, 4.82
Korbal - 0-1, 4.15

Won't start the weekend starters like ASU is doing.  If Arkansas hits this guy half as good as we've been hitting, I'll be sold.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: B&GT on March 11, 2008, 03:23:12 pm
I just got wonderful news.  ASU will be throwing their #1 against us tonight. We'll be starting Eibner.  He's been very good and very bad so far this season.  He's a freshman though.  We'll be starting a freshman tomorrow, too.  Either James Mahler or Kendall Korbal.

The pitcher for ASU, Mike Leake, is 3-0, with a 2.41 ERA.
Eibner - 2-0, 6.00
Mahler - 1-0, 4.82
Korbal - 0-1, 4.15

Won't start the weekend starters like ASU is doing.  If Arkansas hits this guy half as good as we've been hitting, I'll be sold.
I figured they would start their best guys despite it being 2 mid-week games. I believe they play Troy this weekend, so they should win that series based on their talent alone.

RHS

Are they going to have the baseball game on 103.7 tonight? If not, click on this link, and then click on "Launch" in the box on your right.

http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/asu-m-basebl-sched.html

B&GT

In NWA every game is on either 1030 AM or 100.3 FM.

RHS

Murphree was named SEC Player of the Week and also got National Player of the Week for his performance last week.

SEC Player of the Week
National Player of the Week

AB™

Quote from: B&GT on March 11, 2008, 04:12:42 pm

I can pick them up on 96.3 AM.  I think it is a Ft. Smith based station and it can get pretty staticy once I am in Fayetteville but most of the time it still comes in on 96.3.

B&GT

If you do come to Faytown you can just hit up one of those two stations.  It's generally 1030 AM but they have a contract with Rush Dumbaugh and can't do baseball over his show and it moves to 100.3.

RHS

Quote from: AB on March 11, 2008, 04:58:58 pm

I can pick them up on 96.3 AM.  I think it is a Ft. Smith based station and it can get pretty staticy once I am in Fayetteville but most of the time it still comes in on 96.3.

That's the station I was thinking about. Don't know why I mentioned 103.7

Rizzo

Won't start the weekend starters like ASU is doing. 

SEC play begins this weekend I believe, so it'd be stupid for the Hogs to start their weekend guys.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Jarred on March 11, 2008, 07:39:31 pm
Won't start the weekend starters like ASU is doing. 

SEC play begins this weekend I believe, so it'd be stupid for the Hogs to start their weekend guys.
Especially against UGA. They are a pretty solid team.If we keep it closer than Vandy I will be happy haha.

bulldogs1159

Our starter tonight can hold them off for a while. I still think this is going to get ugly. We are so stinkin young. Next year when they come the faytown it will be another story.

RHS

Marcel Champagnie just homered to right center to give ASU a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 2nd with 2 outs. Was a 3-1 count.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: RHS on March 11, 2008, 10:10:55 pm
Marcel Champagnie just homered to right center to give ASU a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 2nd with 2 outs. Was a 3-1 count.
We held them scoreless in the first inning? Yessssss

RHS

March 11, 2008, 10:17:01 pm #35 Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:20:50 pm by RHS
Yeah, they only have 2 hits total. Mahler has 2 K's and 1 walk.

Found an audio link: http://www.kfayam.com/

Click on "Listen Live" on the right.

Hogs go down in order. Halfway through 3, ASU leads 1-0.

RHS

March 11, 2008, 10:22:36 pm #36 Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:29:44 pm by RHS
Mahler walks the first batter for ASU in the 3rd.

Hogs turn a 3-6-3 double play to get 2 outs.

Mahler walks another Sun Devil on a full count.

Mahler gets a K to end the enning, his 3rd.

End of 3 and ASu leads 1-0.

RHS

Eibner K's to lead off the 4th. 3rd strikeout for the ASU pitcher. We haven't gotten a leadoff man yet.

Forsythe just fouled out on the first pitch he saw.

RHS

March 11, 2008, 10:39:04 pm #38 Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:43:35 pm by RHS
Ike Davis with a solo shot to make it 2-0.

Next 2 foul out and pop out.
Mahler walks his 4th to bring up the #9 hitter.

I'm done after this inning.

razorbacks82007

well at least post the final..

Texarkana_Piggie

changed pitchers from mahler to keuchel.

RHS

Quote from: razorbacks82007 on March 11, 2008, 10:52:28 pm
well at least post the final..

Click on the audio link I provided and listen to it.

Texarkana_Piggie

still 2-0 asu after 5.

AB™

Quote from: RHS on March 11, 2008, 05:52:20 pm
Quote from: AB on March 11, 2008, 04:58:58 pm

That's the station I was thinking about. Don't know why I mentioned 103.7

In the Fort Smith area 103.1 is a Fox Sports radio affiliate and 96.3 is an ESPN radio affiliate.  However, when there is a Razorback game(basketball, football, and baseball) both 103.1 and 96.3 both carry the game using the exact same announcer for whichever respective sport.

Since I commute from Alma to Fayetteville around 3-5 times a week it gets annoying b/c right about around Winslow 103.1 gets very staticy and really doesn't come in, and 96.3 comes in crystal clear in some parts of Fayetteville, but in other parts doesn't come in at all.  I have found out that 98.7(Fox affiliate) comes in much better around the time I get to Fayetteville.  I still haven't been able to find an alternate station for ESPN radio once I get closer to Fayetteville, but I'll try 100.3 next time I'm up there.  AM stations pee me off b/c I never can find the ESPN or Fox affiliate on there.  It takes me forever.

Quite Frankly

I appreciate the updates.

razorbacks82007

RHS

Eibner gets a late jump and as a result is out at the plate. Should be 2-2.

rsvl_hogfan4

Eibner with a triple to make it 2-1. Only 1 out in the top of the 6th. Hogs have 4 hits to ASU's 5.

razorbacks82007

aybner(sp?) thrown out at home tryin to score on a ball hit to deep short... thats ridiculous..

RHS

Quote from: razorbacks82007 on March 11, 2008, 11:23:34 pm
aybner(sp?) thrown out at home tryin to score on a ball hit to deep short... thats ridiculous..

That's what happens when you hesitate.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas