• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Razorback Football 2011-12 (Hogs Only)

Started by Brian G, July 07, 2011, 08:49:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: PC™ on July 23, 2011, 02:32:12 pm
If you think, when fall practice starts, Petrino is prepping these boys for Missouri State, New Mexico, and Troy, you have blinders.

He started prepping for Alabama, the moment the Sugar Bowl ended, he knows what is riding on this game.

Petrino did precisely that to start last season off.  Remember how vanilla the offense was for Tennessee Tech and ULM?

RD™

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 23, 2011, 04:08:00 pm
Quote from: PC™ on July 23, 2011, 02:32:12 pm
If you think, when fall practice starts, Petrino is prepping these boys for Missouri State, New Mexico, and Troy, you have blinders.

He started prepping for Alabama, the moment the Sugar Bowl ended, he knows what is riding on this game.

Petrino did precisely that to start last season off.  Remember how vanilla the offense was for Tennessee Tech and ULM?
No one knew what the "wheel route" was during those games.

gatecrasher

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 23, 2011, 03:50:43 pm
Quote from: gatecrasher on July 23, 2011, 03:26:59 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on July 23, 2011, 10:33:55 am
One last time, I will repeat the initial point about Arkansas' OOC schedule:

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 20, 2011, 06:19:13 pm
From the prognostication standpoint - once again, Arkansas' opening OOC schedule will come back to haunt them.  Opening with three sisters of the poor is no way to prepare for Alabama.  Arkansas already has more than enough money in the athletic department coffers - playing money games just isn't necessary and sends a signal to fans that pursuit of $$$ is more important than the pursuit of success.

Final Alabama 31, Arkansas 17

Arkansas' opening OOC stretch is a recipe for a loss at Tuscaloosa. 
Your point from Phil Steele's SOS measurement looks at the entire year's SOS.
Look at the SOS Arkansas plays BEFORE they play Alabama and tell me how that prepares Arkansas to play at Alabama's level. 
And I will repeat mine:
WE DON'T NEED TO PLAY THREE MARQUEE OOC GAMES TO START THE SEASON.
As someone posted, there is hardly a team in the BCS conferences that has the speed and athleticism that we have in the SEC. The three opening games are opportunities to work on things against a real opponent during live game conditions.

Keep digging yourself deeper.

Hey idiot, freaking read before posting (I won't even ask you to think because you've already conclusively proved that is beyond your limited abilities...)  Find where anyone (other than you) said Arkansas needs to play three marquee games.   
This coming from the superstar that has been ranting about Arkansas' OOC schedule.

You need to lay off the sauce or something.

gatecrasher

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 23, 2011, 03:48:23 pm
Kniles Davis will be the make or break point.  The secret is out on that guy and best believe bama is going to be targeting him.  I know Tyler Wilson has some intangibles but playing Bama on the road is going to be tough without a good running game to open up the play action pass.  I am also interested to see how Petrino will make up the void of DJ Williams being gone.  Dude made some big plays last year. Great route runner.
Without a good running game?
You gotta be kidding me. Knile Davis has been mentioned in some places as a darkhorse Heisman candidate. Barring injury, he looks to exceed the production he put out last season.

RD™

Kniles Davis will be the make or break point.  The secret is out on that guy and best believe bama is going to be targeting him.  I know Tyler Wilson has some intangibles but playing Bama on the road is going to be tough without a good running game to open up the play action pass.  I am also interested to see how Petrino will make up the void of DJ Williams being gone.  Dude made some big plays last year. Great route runner.
Go ahead and let Alabama load the box, Greg Childs, Jarius Wright, Joe Adams, Cobi Hamilton, Quinton Funderburk, Chriss Gragg, or somebody will be open.

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 23, 2011, 04:43:19 pm
You gotta be kidding me. Knile Davis has been mentioned in some places as a darkhorse Heisman candidate. Barring injury, he looks to exceed the production he put out last season.

Umm that is what I am saying Lee Corso.  I am pretty sure I am complimenting him and saying that it is going to be Tough for tyler to overcome Alabama if he doesn't have Kniles Davis producing like he did at the end of the year. You are fishing for an argument.

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: PC™ on July 23, 2011, 04:45:20 pm
Go ahead and let Alabama load the box, Greg Childs, Jarius Wright, Joe Adams, Cobi Hamilton, Quinton Funderburk, Chriss Gragg, or somebody will be open.

That should be fun.  Alabama isn't too shy to play cover 2 bump and press.  It should be interesting.

AirWarren

Let's these idiot little clowns rant. It will all be in perspective soon.

gatecrasher

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 23, 2011, 06:34:00 pm

Umm that is what I am saying Lee Corso.  I am pretty sure I am complimenting him and saying that it is going to be Tough for tyler to overcome Alabama if he doesn't have Kniles Davis producing like he did at the end of the year. You are fishing for an argument.
Ok....my bad Chizik man lover....;)

gatecrasher

Quote from: AirWarren on July 23, 2011, 07:09:39 pm
Let's these idiot little clowns rant. It will all be in perspective soon.
Yep....

Ex-HAplayer

Haha only bcuz of the leather jacket (Sarcasm). See Gate, I am not like you haters. I can give respect when its due.  I know Arkansas has the best receiving core in the SEC and maybe the nation. Anyone of those guys would be the NO.1 guy on any other collegiate team.  Not to mention have a hoss like Davis in the backfield. Mind you, it is always harder to repeat once everyone else realizes you are very good.  Richardson and Dyer (especially) will realize this.  However, you like I know it not only takes talent but some sure enough luck to run the table in the SEC. Especially, in the SEC west which is insane.  Only time will tell.

gatecrasher

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 23, 2011, 07:50:53 pm
Haha only bcuz of the leather jacket (Sarcasm). See Gate, I am not like you haters. I can give respect when its due.  I know Arkansas has the best receiving core in the SEC and maybe the nation. Anyone of those guys would be the NO.1 guy on any other collegiate team.  Not to mention have a hoss like Davis in the backfield. Mind you, it is always harder to repeat once everyone else realizes you are very good.  Richardson and Dyer (especially) will realize this.  However, you like I know it not only takes talent but some sure enough luck to run the table in the SEC. Especially, in the SEC west which is insane.  Only time will tell.
....and a dominant defensive unit. Everyone is talking about the offense. But you can go research both here and on Hogville....back in 2008 I said that it would take three years for Petrino to build a defense good enough to win the SEC, that 2011 would be the year. Well, that defense is here. I don't care how good you are offensively, you do not win this league without a good defense.

It is time....

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 23, 2011, 08:00:13 pm
....and a dominant defensive unit. Everyone is talking about the offense. But you can go research both here and on Hogville....back in 2008 I said that it would take three years for Petrino to build a defense good enough to win the SEC, that 2011 would be the year. Well, that defense is here. I don't care how good you are offensively, you do not win this league without a good defense.

It is time....

Well, at least a defense that is opportunistic and can make the key stop or turnover, but otherwise true story.

RD™

It is time....
Ehh, that defense monicker doesn't hold water anymore with me. Auburn was pretty atrocious and they won it.

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: PC™ on July 23, 2011, 08:20:00 pm

It is time....
Ehh, that defense monicker doesn't hold water anymore with me. Auburn was pretty atrocious and they won it.

Hey now! They were opportunistic at the right time though.  Atrocious might be too strong even for a hate mongrel like yourself.

AirWarren

I'm glad I can't read the vomit that is spewing from a particular posters mouth through a keyboard.

Ex-HAplayer

That is called denial.  It will be ok. Arkansas will go 10-2 during their regular season.

Brian G

Did anyone catch the blurb from CBP about Mallet sharing the Hogs hand signals for others to see?  It seems on the ESPN show with Gruden, he revealed the brunt of the Hogs signals used at the line of scrimmage.  Arkansas has now changed their signals.

CBP admitted he was less than happy about it when he found out RM and revealed them.  But the did add that RM offered some usable suggestions to use instead.

Not a biggie, but was noteworthy.

zebradynasty

I would assume that the signals would be changed each season anyway.

Brian G

Father Guido

Still better than the Nutt system where HDN would signal in the plays while mouthing it out so, if you where watching his mouth you could have a pretty good idea of what the play was.  No telling how many times the TV would show him and you could clearly make out words like, "right", "31", "toss", or "go", and anyone with any football background could put together a formation and or know where the play was goin.  Not that you needed that much imagination to figure out what he was going to call, but you could sure verify it a lot of times.

Peety

Quote from: Father Guido on July 24, 2011, 07:52:37 pm
Still better than the Nutt system where HDN would signal in the plays while mouthing it out so, if you where watching his mouth you could have a pretty good idea of what the play was.  No telling how many times the TV would show him and you could clearly make out words like, "right", "31", "toss", or "go", and anyone with any football background could put together a formation and or know where the play was goin.  Not that you needed that much imagination to figure out what he was going to call, but you could sure verify it a lot of times.

McFadden off tackle left, McFadden off tackle right, McFadden up the middle, Felix sweep right, Felix sweep left, fade to Marcus monk. All you needed to know!

AT

Quote from: Peety on July 24, 2011, 08:06:17 pm

McFadden off tackle left, McFadden off tackle right, McFadden up the middle, Felix sweep right, Felix sweep left, fade to Marcus monk. All you needed to know!

The fact that Marcus Monk was prosperous in that inept passing game makes him one of my all time favorite Hogs.

AirWarren

Quote from: Almatrackster on July 24, 2011, 08:48:13 pm

The fact that Marcus Monk was prosperous in that inept passing game makes him one of my all time favorite Hogs.

I agree. No telling what he would have done in a BP offense.

RD™

Quote from: AirWarren on July 24, 2011, 09:28:32 pm

Oh man. Can you say AJ Green?

Ex-HAplayer

July 24, 2011, 10:37:56 pm #125 Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:39:56 pm by Ex-HAplayer

Ehh, Monk wasn't that same after his injury.  He is still on the panthers practice squad me thinks...

RD™

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 24, 2011, 10:37:56 pm

Ehh, Monk wasn't that same after his injury.  He is still on the panthers practice squad me thinks...
I think he is free agent now. Somebody needs to take a chance on him.

Father Guido

Quote from: AirWarren on July 24, 2011, 09:28:32 pm

WOW!, yeah, he would have been amazing.

Father Guido

...and when you see the coach say "Right 31", or Left "37", it helps you narrow that down even further, so just imaging what kind of numbers they all could have put up if teams didn't know exactly where they were going, at least part of the time.  (If I could pick it up on the 4-5 times a game the TV would show HDN sending in plays, you know other teams were watching him every play.)

zebradynasty

I think some are making it a bigger issue than it was for Nutt. The offense under Nutt suffered from being predictable (Mainly because he never had solid QB play) but the run game was NEVER a problem while he coached. The Hogs led the SEC in rushing most years and consistently ranked in the top 10-15 nationally. So the fact that defenses knew where the ball was going to be ran seems to have had little effect. What hurt the offense under Nutt was on 3rd down and long when EVERYONE knew he was gonna pass!

AirWarren

July 26, 2011, 07:31:51 am #130 Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:33:36 am by AirWarren
Yea there was no mixture of the pass game with the effective run game. Run run pass punt was our favorite drive summary unless McFadden or jones took it all the way on one down.

I think monk would have been this year's alshon Jeffery from south Carolina in a BP offense. Had the size and hands.

zebradynasty

What I can't figure out is I really thought Monk had a shot in the NFL? He is no burner but I felt he ran good routes and great hands and with his size make a great possession WR. Wonder what gives ???

Romeo

The knee injury he suffered during preseason practice in 07 really slowed him down and affected his footwork. Monk really came back too soon during that season. I think if he had redshirted that year and played the next year with Petrino at full strength he would have had a better chance at making an NFL roster.

zebradynasty

True that injury really did get him down but I remember supposedly after rehab he was actually faster and I just thought he would have got on as a free agent somewhere.

Brian G

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 24, 2011, 05:47:04 pm
I would assume that the signals would be changed each season anyway.

Not always with different coaches.  Malzahn didn't change his when he went from Tulsa to Auburn.  Willy knew precisely what he was going to do, and said so after the game.  I imagine Gus got them changed quickly.

zebradynasty

I expect that from a high school coach but BP....with the way signals are stole in the NFL I just figured he would change up every year.

HGaluminTN

Who is Kniles Davis? 

gatecrasher

Quote from: HGaluminTN on July 26, 2011, 09:29:13 pm

Who is Kniles Davis? 
This

Ex-HAplayer

July 27, 2011, 01:58:24 am #139 Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:08:00 am by Ex-HAplayer

Who is Kniles Davis?

Oh my bad Knile Davis*. That guy who is suppose to lead you to your 1st SEC championship. My bad, I only remember how to spell Broderick Green name bcuz he is the only running back who sniffed the end zone against us.

*Shots fired back*

gatecrasher

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 27, 2011, 01:58:24 am

Who is Kniles Davis?

Oh my bad Knile Davis*. That guy who is suppose to lead you to your 1st SEC championship. My bad, I only remember how to spell Broderick Green name bcuz he is the only running back who sniffed the end zone against us.

*Shots fired back*
One year wonderboy rides again....

Ex-HAplayer

That doesn't even make since on so many levels but we aren't going to go that route. Arkansas 11-2 this year.  My prediction against Auburn..the homer in me says 31-24 Auburn.  The realist says 35-14 Arkansas. Maybe 35-21 who knows.

fastdrop

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 27, 2011, 03:13:09 am

Who is Kniles Davis?

*Shots fired back*

I would like to win it one year

gatecrasher

Quote from: fastdrop on July 27, 2011, 10:29:56 am

Who is Kniles Davis?

*Shots fired back*

He won't have that one once the NCAA gets done Big Bubbaing Auburn's butt....;D

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 27, 2011, 10:27:45 am
That doesn't even make since on so many levels but we aren't going to go that route. Arkansas 11-2 this year.  My prediction against Auburn..the homer in me says 31-24 Auburn.  The realist says 35-14 Arkansas. Maybe 35-21 who knows.

Chizik's defense has yet to hold Arkansas under 40.  It definitely won't happen this year, and I can see Petrino hanging 50 or more. 

I was looking at the Barn's sched, and 5-7, 4-8 is a distinct possibility.

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 27, 2011, 01:08:41 pm

Who is Kniles Davis?

*Shots fired back*

We have two NCs bud. Think before you post.

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 27, 2011, 01:53:11 pm
Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 27, 2011, 10:27:45 am

Chizik's defense has yet to hold Arkansas under 40.  It definitely won't happen this year, and I can see Petrino hanging 50 or more. 

I was looking at the Barn's sched, and 5-7, 4-8 is a distinct possibility.

Maybe, Maybe not.  A national championship wasn't probable national year either.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 27, 2011, 06:24:31 pm

Maybe, Maybe not.  A national championship wasn't probable national year either.

Holding onto it definitely isn't probable.

gatecrasher

July 28, 2011, 09:04:34 pm #148 Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:07:27 pm by gatecrasher
Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 27, 2011, 06:22:41 pm
Quote from: gatecrasher on July 27, 2011, 01:08:41 pm

Who is Kniles Davis?

*Shots fired back*

Pay attention son. I don't care about the one you won during the Roosevelt Administration.

bleudog

July 29, 2011, 02:46:13 pm #149 Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:52:16 pm by bleudog
Quote from: gatecrasher on July 28, 2011, 09:04:34 pm
Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 27, 2011, 06:22:41 pm
Pay attention son. I don't care about the one you won during the Roosevelt Administration.

Now that's funny.

Hate to be picky Gate, but in the spirit of "politically correctness," I feel compelled to point out that that would need to be the Eisenhower Administration. ;)

Ironically, their 1957 title was split 4 ways just like U of A's was in 1964.

Auburn 10–0 Ralph Jordan AP, BR, CFRA, HAF, NCF, PS, SR, WS
Michigan State 8–1 Duffy Daugherty DuS
Ohio State 9–1 Woody Hayes BS, DeS, FWAA, INS, L, UPI
Oklahoma 10–1 Bud Wilkinson B(QPRS)

Alabama 10–1 Bear Bryant AP, B(QPRS), L, UPI
Arkansas 11–0 Frank Broyles BR, CFRA, FWAA, HAF, NCF, PS, SR
Michigan 9–1 Bump Elliott DuS
Notre Dame 9–1 Ara Parseghian DeS, FN, NFF

And after that brief historical interlude, we can now return to the Arkansas 2011-2012 football season. ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas