• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Arkansas Razorback Baseball Thread

Started by Chosen 1, February 16, 2010, 07:09:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RHS

Hogs are up 10-8 in the bottom of the 8th (so says D1baseball.com).

Wilkins hit a 2 run bomb and Eibner has a 3 run shot (both crushed according to sources). Cox has a 2 run HR as well. Wind is apparently blowing out HARD today and I think Troy has 4 HR's of their own.

bulldogs1159

That wind sucked once the sun was off me.

theHammer

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on February 27, 2010, 05:04:45 pm
Should've moved to the sunny side. Everyone else did. ;)

bulldogs1159

Quote from: theHammer on February 27, 2010, 05:07:20 pm
Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on February 27, 2010, 05:04:45 pm
Should've moved to the sunny side. Everyone else did. ;)
I was working the camera in the 1st base dugout, or else i would have been in the hog pen lol

rsvl_hogfan4

Oh no, we gave up 8 runs. We better start worrying.

bulldogs1159

Hogs win 7-6 today and sweep the series. Eibner threw 3 hitless innings to start the game and the hogs jumped out to a 7-0 lead after 2 and held on the rest of the way.

RHS

Dominated #25 Kansas today, 15-3. Jarrod McKinney had a 3 run HR. KU walked 14 batters today.

RHS

Hogs are up 2-1 going to the B5 against Cal. Had a chance for a big inning in our half as we had the bases loaded off of a single a 2 HBP, but we popped up to end the inning.

Wilkins hit his 4th HR of the season earlier in the game to tie it up at 1.

jbell96

Wish I had time this weekend to drive up to watch them play. (4 hour drive)

theHammer

Hogs end up getting 5 runs in the 8th to beat Cal, 7-3. Bigham is back (limited at the moment), and Bolsinger pitched 7 strong innings.

RHS

RGP

Wilkins has been playing as well as anyone in the nation.

RHS

Final was 9-5 yesterday.

Always good to go on the road and beat a Pac-10 team, even if their only supposed to be middle of the pack.

rsvl_hogfan4

Lost 6-0 today. Had a few errors leading to unearned runs. Gave up, I believe, 2 home runs. DVH was making a lot of changes in the lineup that he usually wouldn't do. Sample, Bleeker, and Vinson all played some. They only have a combined 18 at bats this season.

rsvl_hogfan4

So the Hogs play a few more freshman and obviously aren't pitching their weekend starters, and we lose to South Dakota State. It is a mid-week game against a 6-2 team, and the players didn't even get home from Cal until 5 p.m. Monday afternoon. They had less than 24 hours before they played another game. All of their hits were right to fielders. However, Hogville is already freaking out. It went from us potentially making a run at the CWS and being one of the top teams in the nation, to us being pathetic and most legion teams would have beat South Dakota State. A few threads have been deleted, but they were ridiculous.

We shouldn't have lost, but this happens all the time. We will probably come out today and win by 10+ runs and then sweep our weekend series and everyone that started those threads will be cheering about how we are going to roll through the SEC.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 10, 2010, 07:01:12 am
So the Hogs play a few more freshman and obviously aren't pitching their weekend starters, and we lose to South Dakota State. It is a mid-week game against a 6-2 team, and the players didn't even get home from Cal until 5 p.m. Monday afternoon. They had less than 24 hours before they played another game. All of their hits were right to fielders. However, Hogville is already freaking out. It went from us potentially making a run at the CWS and being one of the top teams in the nation, to us being pathetic and most legion teams would have beat South Dakota State. A few threads have been deleted, but they were ridiculous.

We shouldn't have lost, but this happens all the time. We will probably come out today and win by 10+ runs and then sweep our weekend series and everyone that started those threads will be cheering about how we are going to roll through the SEC.
I agree, baseball is a different animal altogether. This team will be fine and DVH is building some quality depth and getting some younger players some field time. Come SEC play the Razorbacks will roll.

Chris Murphy

OH NO! WE LOST TO SOUTH DAKOTA STATE! It's obvious that Dave Van Horn isn't getting the job done. We should fire him. FIRE VAN HORN! We need to get back to the glory days of Razorback baseball! Maybe if we hired a former Razorback assistant, he could turn out to be the program's savior.

[/sarcasm]

AB™

Did I read some of the posts on Hogville correctly?  I could have sworn I heard some posters almost freaking out because the Hogs lost yesterday.  I'm just going to go out on a limb (because it happens every year) that every team currently ranked in the top 10 will lose at least 3 games to vastly inferior opponents. 

Also, just wondering if someone that follows the team pretty closely, how has Vinson looked in his brief appearances this year?  I don't personally know him very well, but not too many athletes from Alma rarely go on to a big name D1 program in any sport.  All I know about him is that he was probably the best high school baseball player I've seen come through Alma.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: AB™ on March 10, 2010, 12:56:00 pm
Did I read some of the posts on Hogville correctly?  I could have sworn I heard some posters almost freaking out because the Hogs lost yesterday.  I'm just going to go out on a limb (because it happens every year) that every team currently ranked in the top 10 will lose at least 3 games to vastly inferior opponents. 

Also, just wondering if someone that follows the team pretty closely, how has Vinson looked in his brief appearances this year?  I don't personally know him very well, but not too many athletes from Alma rarely go on to a big name D1 program in any sport.  All I know about him is that he was probably the best high school baseball player I've seen come through Alma.
He has started 3 or 4 games, but hasn't been very good at the plate. I don't think he has a hit yet. It isn't surprising though being a freshman. A lot of our freshmen are struggling at the plate.

jbell96

I just hope all of our coaches stay away from the boards on Hogville. I like the site, but man some people on there just go crazy after a loss. The baseball team will be fine. Texas lost 2 out of 3 at home to New Mexico & there fans weren't freaking out about it so I don't see why our fans are so crazy right now. It's the 2nd week of the season.

AB™

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 10, 2010, 01:17:17 pm

He has started 3 or 4 games, but hasn't been very good at the plate. I don't think he has a hit yet. It isn't surprising though being a freshman. A lot of our freshmen are struggling at the plate.

Yeah, it'll take him and the other freshmen to adjust to seeing college pitchers, as opposed to high school pitchers.  He's a switch hitter who has pretty decent power from both sides, has a good arm, and is pretty fast  The potential is there.

I don't follow the baseball program enough, but I've heard some quite mumblings from fans who aren't happy with the hitting coach.  Is he that bad or is it just Arkansas fans overreacting?

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: AB™ on March 10, 2010, 02:18:59 pm
Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 10, 2010, 01:17:17 pm

Yeah, it'll take him and the other freshmen to adjust to seeing college pitchers, as opposed to high school pitchers.  He's a switch hitter who has pretty decent power from both sides, has a good arm, and is pretty fast  The potential is there.

I don't follow the baseball program enough, but I've heard some quite mumblings from fans who aren't happy with the hitting coach.  Is he that bad or is it just Arkansas fans overreacting?
We have been in hitting slumps from time to time. Last year we struggled down the stretch of SEC play and everyone was calling for his head. Then we get in the NCAAT and don't lose until the CWS and finish 3rd in the nation. We have a very potent lineup, and when they are hitting to their potential won't lose too many games. Just about everyone in our lineup can take it yard. We have been without Bigham, and have been playing a lot of freshman like Atkins, Vinson, Reynaulds, and then some players that really don't get much time like Sample. Monk Kreder is a new face in the lineup this year, too. It will take time for them to adjust,  but when we have our best players in the lineup we can put a lot of runs up. Hog fans are just always quick to jump to conclusions. Like I said, last week we were going to win the CWS. Now we are struggling to hit the ball and won't do good in SEC play.

AB™

Well, the Hogs got their bats back to life today and beat SDSU 21-2.  Vinson got his first hit as a Hog, a three run triple.

RGP

After yesterday's 3-2 loss, the Razorbacks let out some frustration today to the tune of a smooth 21-2 rematch.

bulldogs1159

Loooooooooooooong game to be in the light rain.

rsvl_hogfan4

Oh no! They scored 2 runs. Fire our staff!!!

AB™

Arkansas probably needs to win by 20+ runs tomorrow in order to save Van Horn's job.

Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 10, 2010, 09:00:38 am
Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 10, 2010, 07:01:12 am

I agree,

Never thought I would see this...

Smithian

Quote from: AB™ on March 10, 2010, 10:28:36 pm
Arkansas probably needs to win by 20+ runs tomorrow in order to save Van Horn's job.
Almost made it.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Smithian on March 12, 2010, 11:11:40 am
Almost made it.
Actually, they didn't play.

Ken Griffey Jr.

I think Smithian may have been talking about the 21-2 win on Wednesday

Chris Murphy

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 12, 2010, 11:52:06 am
Quote from: Smithian on March 12, 2010, 11:11:40 am
Almost made it.
Actually, they didn't play.

No, they didn't, and they should be fired for that. Not playing is just unacceptable for Razorback baseball. They need to be playing baseball every day of the week. It's time to get real, Razorback fans. IT'S TIME TO FIRE VAN HORN! BRING RAZORBACK BASEBALL BACK TO THE GLORY DAYS!

AB™

I civured it was a 3 game series. iwho were they playing today? I know I heard about 30 seconds of a game when I was in my car this afternoon.

Indiana Jones

Quote from: AB™ on March 12, 2010, 05:55:12 pm
I civured it was a 3 game series. iwho were they playing today? I know I heard about 30 seconds of a game when I was in my car this afternoon.
Wisconsin-Milwaukee

AB™

That's supposed to be figured not civured. Interesting word though.

Chris Murphy

Hogs started out a little flat today, but had a big 7th inning to win 14-6. That was about as miserable as I've been watching a baseball game. It was 40 degrees, windy, and raining.

rsvl_hogfan4

14-6 win for hogs today. Found ourselves down 6-3. Then, our bats came alive.

rsvl_hogfan4

March 13, 2010, 07:49:53 am #87 Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:05:26 am by rsvl_hogfan4
Kansas has not lost since we beat them 15-3 in a mid-week game last week. Our win is more impressive for a mid-week game than it usually would be because Kansas' Sunday game got rained out so they pitched their Sunday starter vs us. We didn't pitch any starters, obviously. Kansas is playing a series @ LSU this weekend. They were up as many as 11-2 yesterday, and ended up holding on 11-9.

If Ranaudo doesn't pitch like expected, I wouldn't be surprised to see us take the series in Baton Rouge next week. That is assuming we hit like we are capable of. It will definitely be a good measuring stick since it is on the road against probably the best team in the country.

Cal has taken the first 2 of a 4 game series @ #9 Rice 8-6, 6-4.

RHS

Hogs were up 7-0 going into the 9th today when I got out of my car.

Smyly had a great day. 7 IP, 4 hits, 11 Ks and only 2 BBs.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: RHS on March 13, 2010, 04:43:14 pm
Hogs were up 7-0 going into the 9th today when I got out of my car.

Smyly had a great day. 7 IP, 4 hits, 11 Ks and only 2 BBs.

Yep, 7-0 when I last checked, too.

Love listening to the other teams broadcast (uwm), here in Minn.  They couldn't be more "pro" piggies.  And with good reason.

Wouldn't be surprised if Arkansas wins the LSU series to see a big jump in their ranking after the first away series in the SEC.

Indiana Jones

Hogs win in comeback fashion to sweep the UW Milwaukee whatevers

rsvl_hogfan4

LSU lost their series in Baton Rouge to Kansas.

RHS

Vinson hit his HR to dead center in the 10th according to Chuck.

If we can steal a series in Baton Rouge, that would be huge. I like getting them out of the way early.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: RHS on March 14, 2010, 07:39:45 pm
Vinson hit his HR to dead center in the 10th according to Chuck.

If we can steal a series in Baton Rouge, that would be huge. I like getting them out of the way early.
That and Renaudo probably won't be able to pitch.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: RHS on March 14, 2010, 07:39:45 pm

This is my thinking exactly. Perfect spot having them this early in the season.  I think it will really push them in the polls and we all know how big the homefield advantage is for the Hogs when LSU ends up coming to town later down the line.

rsvl_hogfan4

The Hogs take game 1 @ #7 LSU, 6-3. Hogs were down 2-0 early after a 2 run homer from LSU with 2 outs. The Hogs answered a few innings later scoring off a 2 run homer from Wilkins, and another 2 run HR from Eibner. Eibner had 2 two run homeruns in this game. Hopefully we can go ahead and get the series win under our belt tomorrow.

AB™

Who would have thought after a devastating loss to South Dakota St. Arkansas would be able to bounce back and get a win in Baton Rouge.  Van Horn clearly saved his job tonight.

bulldogs1159

Eibners second HR was one of the longest I have ever seen. It went WELL over the scoreboard that is BEHIND the bleachers in left-center. It went above the lights and never back back in view.

InYoGrill

Quote from: AB™ on March 19, 2010, 09:52:45 pm
Who would have thought after a devastating loss to South Dakota St. Arkansas would be able to bounce back and get a win in Baton Rouge.  Van Horn clearly saved his job tonight.

He's not safe unless he wins 2 of 3 at LSU. Only then does he have a chance to save his job. Nice poke ABS.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: AB™ on March 19, 2010, 09:52:45 pm
We still gave up 3 runs to one of the best teams in the nation, though. It is unacceptable. If we aren't shutting teams out, than we aren't doing our job. Dave Jorn should be fired if our pitchers aren't pitching no hitters every game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas